Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big Sky - any experiences

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been doing some sums and figure that, due to Big Sky's enlightened attitude to kids (like, you don't have to pay for them), I can go there for the same price as a child-friendly Alpine holiday. I might have a few scruples about American foreign policy to overcome, but, hey, everyone has his price!

Where to Ski and Snowboard make it sound idyllic - it's the lack of crowds that appeals to me. So, a few questions:

- Is really quiet as they make out?

- Anyone had kids in the ski school there?

- The piste map seems to show a vast array of double diamonds at the top of the mountain. How scary are they - would we end up losing half the ski area to expert only terrain that we're terrified to explore?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did you try Ski Independence? They quote you can take a kid for 99 quid?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got three kids and tour operators are a nightmare. It's very difficult to get child discounts unless kids are sharing your room - and few places have rooms for five.

I'm looking at piecing together my own holiday to Big Sky. The resort offers free accommodation and lift tickets to under 10s so I just pay for air fares, tuition, gear and fees.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonny Jones, I'm going there at the end of January for the EpicSki Academy. I'll be staying in the Huntley Lodge.
Here's the Epic thread on the Academy...
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=17663
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was there season before last and it was f cold (-26C). Not surprisingly it was quite quiet.

If you do go then you should defintely do a trip to Yellowstone whilst you're there. The kids would love that.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the reminder about Yellowstone NickW; I'd focussed so much on the skiing that I'd overlooked how close it is to Big Sky. It's an amazing place - I went there in the summer some years ago, but none of the family have been before.

The park's web site says the roads are shut in winter but doesn't say much about transport alternatives. All I've found so far are some hideously expensive guided tours that ban children Sad . How practicable is a visit in darkest mid winter?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonny Jones, the transport alternatives are a running battle, snowmobilers vs. snowcoach access, every week something new:

http://www.npca.org/media_center/PressReleaseDetail.asp?id=171

http://www.npca.org/media_center/PressReleaseDetail.asp?id=165

The National Park Service posts a list of permits:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/services/wintbusn.htm

Very practicable for adults if you don't mind rising before sun-up, can't help with young'uns info.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In case anyone digs this thread out of the archives, I've found a really comprehensive guide to Big Sky's skiing here:

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Montana-Info/skiing-big-sky.shtm

After being quoted less than £1,000 sterling for 7 days' slopeside accommodation, breakfast and lift passes for a family of five in half term week Toofy Grin , I've decided to hit Montana this year. WTFH, I'd be glad for any feedback after your Epic skiing in January. That trip looks looks awesome - but just a teeny bit over my intermediate head.

Thanks to everyone for your advice
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonny Jones wrote:
Thanks for the reminder about Yellowstone
The park's web site says the roads are shut in winter but doesn't say much about transport alternatives. All I've found so far are some hideously expensive guided tours that ban children Sad . How practicable is a visit in darkest mid winter?

Very practicable! - I have stayed in Yellowstone in Winter on 2 separate occasions (both in February), and it really is a magical place in Winter. The link Comprex gave to the National Park service contains a wealth of information. Accomodation in the park in Winter is confined to 2 locations: Old Faithful in the centre of the park and Mammoth Hot Springs in the North of the park (I have stayed at each). If you have a car the road US 89 from the North Entrance into Mammoth Hot Springs is kept clear all the year round, otherwise if you want to stay at Old Faithful when you book accomodation you also need to book the snowcoach (caterpillar tracked vehicle) transfer in and transfer out for when you leave (this also carries your luggage). When I travelled to Old Faithful I went on the Snowcoach from the South Entrance at Flagg Ranch, but according to the website info there is also a snowcoach transfer from the West Entrance at West Yellowstone (which of course is closest to Big Sky ski resort). Incidentally the snowcoach transfer in is a great experience in itself, as the driver/guide makes several stops en-route to talk about specific sights and the local wildlife.

If you just want to visit Yellowstone for a day there are guided snowmobile tours operated from all the entrances; however I believe the numbers allowed in are being restricted (rightly) on environmental grounds. In my view it is much better to stay in accomodation in the park. There are numerous walking and cross-country ski trails around the Old Faithful and Mammoth Hot Springs areas, and the concessioner Xanterra often does package deals involving accomodation and a day's cross country ski equipment hire included. There are usually evening talks from the Park Rangers (highly recommended!) and I doubt if you or your kids will have ever seen a Winter night sky so clear and full of stars (since it's a long way from any towns or street lights Very Happy )
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Johnny,

sorry for delay. Yellowstone is open for most of the winter but they shut it towards March (I know this 'cos I'm going to Jackson Hole and was hoping to do another trip there but will be too late). See website for dates:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/

I see I got beaten to it by Comprex !!

There are two options snowmobile or snow coach and given you have kids. then snowcoach is only real option. They are just small coaches raised up on tracks. Two big advantages: they are warm and you get a guide. You would presumably go in through West Yellowstone and there are loads of places that do trips but best to book ahead. There is also a bear and wolf sanctuary in West Yellowstone that the kids would love, just past the park entrance on the left.

Snowmobiles were due to be limited to four stroke and by overall numbers. If you stay in West Yellowstone, then you'd praise this 'cos the petrolhead clowns all start their engines up at 6:00 am and leave them for 30 minutes to warm up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy