Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski School v Private Tuition for Two 8 year old Beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks again for the contributions. You are all so quick off the mark!@Origen, I thought those lessons sounded good value too, hence the further investigation. A point I wanted to check was that although a few of you are referring this as a New Year trip, we are actually spending all but one day there in the week after New Year, which I would expect to be very quiet? Have I got this wrong?

I’ve already found reasonable accommodation close to the lifts and the village area, so that’s not a problem. I accept that Praz is a low resort so there is a potential issue with snow quality- we have a get out clause until a week before if it looks dodgy. I will probably put out a thread on the resort link to get further info re PsA but it looks pretty good otherwise and less of a treck to get to than Les Saisies.

@Layne, there is no way we would be going if the costs were anywhere near £10k! NehNeh im probably being very optimistic with my £2k budget but, as you say, there are ways of keeping costs down without impacting too heavily on comfort and enjoyment.

@Dave of the Marmottes, I will ponder on the dry slope option. I myself, went way back before my first trip to the Alps and it was fine but I’m not sure it helped or hindered either way. I get what you are saying about sorting boots and getting used to skies etc but on the other hand I wouldn’t want them to find it too tough and get put off the main trip!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Have I got this wrong?

remind me of your dates....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@EdYarker, that tuition pricing feels about right - ESF Argentiere is €65/hr for 1-2 students, and €75/hr for up to 5. Big contrast to the likes of Courchevel!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I wouldn’t want them to find it too tough and get put off the main trip!

Snow is just magic for kids. However crappy, slushy, mucky, scant. And SO much easier than a dry slope. With an instructor just for the two of them they'll romp ahead.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@EdYarker, the only think I'd add to the above is - and I'm a bit of a repetitive parrot on SH for this one: For experienced skiers, the first time with family, you need to mentally adjust expectations and remember it's not a skiing holiday, but a holiday with skiing.
Skiing holidays come next year...and every year after that. Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Origen, we are planning to fly out on Thursday 2nd Jan and return on Wed 8th Jan. I was hoping that only the Friday would be busy with NY skiers and from Saturday it would calm down.

If Friday looks too busy for lessons we can do some exploring, sledging and generally relax (look @Arctic Roll, I’m getting the hang of it already)! Hopefully they can then use their 6 x 2 hours in the 4 days remaining.. or just book out fewer lessons altogether.

@snowdave, thanks that’s good to hear.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
EdYarker wrote:
@Origen, we are planning to fly out on Thursday 2nd Jan and return on Wed 8th Jan. I was hoping that only the Friday would be busy with NY skiers and from Saturday it would calm down.

This is correct. Saturday is "changeover day" when most people don't ski. And after that it will be quiet anyhow.

If you can get the instructor on the Friday then it would be fine as even though it will be busy you will be able to use the ski school lane and the instructor will know where to go for quieter slopes and because he will be giving instruction it will be stop/start anyhow.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne, ok thanks. That’s what I thought/ hoped. The girls are complete beginners (unless they end up doing lots of snow done trips in the meantime) so their first day at least will be on the nursery slopes, so hopefully pretty quiet there on a Friday anyway.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree - that sounds like good timing. The beginner area in PsA is down at resort level. I do think the vastly greater choice of easy runs, and chance of good snow, in Les Saisies would be well worth a bit of extra travelling time on your first and last days. There was little or nothing open in PsA at Christmas (or indeed Easter) this last season. It would get the kids that "up the mountain" feeling in their first few days. But that extra distance would add to cost, obviously.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Origen, and there is little accommodation available up there for our dates as you intimated in your earlier posts.

I’ve got a couple of other options available (St Gervais, Morillon, Bernex..) which (in the first two cases) would enable a gondola ride to get up to a higher nursery area, but if the snow is ok, PdA looks like the best fit and most economical for us.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If there is no snow in PsA then the instructors from there will teach up in Les Saisies, there were ESF jackets from a lot of different places in Les Saisies at Easter.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've seen Flaine instructors in Saisies too - though when I chatted to them they denied the snow was better and said it just made a nice change. Long drive for a nice change. wink

How would kids from Praz sur Arly get up to Saisies?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Origen wrote:
How would kids from Praz sur Arly get up to Saisies?

I think they were running buses up from the lower villages this winter, they wouldn't need to run a constant circuit around PsA and Flumet so would have buses spare.

There were beginner groups on the slope above the Signal being taught by instructors from all of the Val d'Arly villages.

I was mostly skiing with some PsA instructors in the final week but they were training for the Challenge des Moniteurs not working.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
EdYarker wrote:

@Dave of the Marmottes, I will ponder on the dry slope option. I myself, went way back before my first trip to the Alps and it was fine but I’m not sure it helped or hindered either way. I get what you are saying about sorting boots and getting used to skies etc but on the other hand I wouldn’t want them to find it too tough and get put off the main trip!

I would say it served my brother and I well as teens. Wet nights herringboning up L'Alp du Tranmere (no lifts in the hardy North) meant we were almost functionally ahead of our supposedly experienced parents by the time we went away for the first time and straight into intermediate class of some description.

I later had a similar experience snowboarding. By the time I'd bruised myself extensively at Spectrum & Silksworth I was straight onto blacks and offpiste when actually hit real snow.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Our family had to put skis on shoulder and walk up the mud alongside the dry slope in the Ayrshire coalfield.

One night, with floodlights and a sharp frost the slope was slipperier than usual. My OH failed to make a turn, went off the edge onto the frosted grass and just carried on until there was a crash. He appeared, skis on shoulder, some time later....

It made men of us. But not much fun for two little girls. wink
snow report
I did a few lessons at Swadlincote dry slope before I went on my first trip to Tignes and had group lessons with Evolution 2.

Largely a waste of time IMO. Just meant I knew how to put boots on, clip into ski bindings and shuffle around in them.
latest report
Layne wrote:
The only reason I challenged the £10k/£400 per hour is that it's very much at the upper end IMO/IME. I have a whole bunch of TR's on here that detail how I set up our trips and what it costs. We don't buy anything on the mountain food and drink wise but we do generally tunnel over rather than ferry, and toll road it all the way. Just as a couple of examples of how costs can vary for different people based on the preferences and priorities.

Yeah, I don't do family trips but £10k does sound like a very comfortable budget to me, last new year trip was 2017/2018 for 3 of us and came in under £900 each for flights, accommodation, lift passes and car hire. Obviously that's at the lower end of the scale and would need to add food to that, plus car hire has increased quite a bit, but still think 10 grand is generous.
latest report
£10K is very generous for a family - no need to spend anything like that, though of course holiday costs are as long as a piece of string. But £2K for four people is a very short piece of string.
ski holidays
This short piece of string is made up of flights (including 2 x large cases) £450
Transfers £300 (£350 if car hire).
Accommodate £430 (£470 if cancellation allowed)
Lift Passes £470 (based on last year and dependant on how long the girls stay on nursery slopes)
Ski/ boot Hire £350

That comes to £2K The lessons would add another £470 and then there’s, food and expenses in resort, so in total, more like £3k than £2k, especially accounting for the fact that most of those figures are based on last year and are likely to go up..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy