Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LastDayItus...any other sufferers?

Poster: A snowHead
My lovely wife has a seemingly incurable dose of what we call LastDayItus.

Every ski trip she becomes excessively cautious about, or on, the last day.
She seems to believe there is a curse and that bad things will be liable to happen if she skis as much, as hard or in anything except lovely snow and visibility.

I don't suffer and to me it's just sadly the last day, but just another day.

Anybody else stricken
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rungsp wrote:
My lovely wife has a seemingly incurable dose of what we call LastDayItus.

Every ski trip she becomes excessively cautious about, or on, the last day.
She seems to believe there is a curse and that bad things will be liable to happen if she skis as much, as hard or in anything except lovely snow and visibility.

I don't suffer and to me it's just sadly the last day, but just another day.

Anybody else stricken

On a skiing trip a few years ago, I broke my foot walking down the stairs, as we packed the bags at the end of the holiday. Thought I was off the stairs, but there was actually one more to go and I broke it, so I sympathise with your wife, even if my incident wasn't actually anything to do with skiing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FirstDayItus is more dangerous, particularly the acute form, FirstOfSeasonDayItus

Over enthusiasm on the first day can very quickly cause a case of LastDayItus

As is the case on all aspects of life, it is best not to get too excited. Pause, take a breath and then continue.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I once had lessons from a kiwi instructor who would always say this is the last but one run on the last run, as injuries occur on the last run.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think its reasonably common? The priority is to get home in one piece. Loss aversion can kick in on the last day. Interestingly I suffered from it 2 years ago but not this year. My skiing buddy reined it in loads on the last day and finished early. (he has skied more than I have)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wish I'd been afflicted by it on my last day. Instead, as I posted about 6 weeks ago, I got taken out from behind on my last session of a 6 week trip. Just about recovered now but need to start stretching my back a bit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I more likely have firstdayitis, reasoning being I have a full trip so no need to kill myself or get knackered and make mistakes on the first day. As for last day it's more about conditions v knackeredness.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
take charge of booking your trip, book to return on a Saturday & tell her you have booked the Sunday, only tell her it was the last day once you have finished skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's a thing. Last day is also likely to be the weekend so crowded with locals as well as holidaymakers. Everyone after just one more run, full of confidence (and Bombardinos) My wife fractured a vertebrae on our last planned run of the holiday a few years ago..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In mountain-biking we have the curse of ‘Just one last run’

So I wrote this for Singletrack (edition 129)

Just one more run....

Now....let’s get the nonsense out of the way first. Yes, I know why ‘...it’s the last piece of the jigsaw which always is missing....’ - yes, it’s because it’s missing that it’s the last piece. And yes, I know that if you have a big stack skiing or mountain-biking, it does tend to become the last run of that day. But there’s also something else lurking in here.

Last Friday - as the intensive mountain bike season begins to wind down and the ski prep begins to wind up - I promised to pick young ValaisGrom2 (now 14) from school, with our hardtail rigs in the car and all the necessary kit to do 90mins of pump track and jumping. Which I duly did...all the timings worked well...leaving work, and switching to the car which had been loaded the night before with Cotic (130mm front suspension hardtail) and Ragley Marley (140mm front sus hardtail) all checked over an ready to roll. What then unfolded was 90 minutes of excellent training, with ValaisGrom2 clearing the double jumps cleanly for the first time, and me still whanging the rear wheel into them...duh. We were by ourselves on the jump and pump track, and were really hammering round, including some timed laps. Yep, I was still 10per cent slower than him each time, even though getting faster. The only other guy was over in the main bike park...a seriously fit and competent Scotsman who sure knew what he was doing.

End of session - feeling good.

A peppermint tea (me) and hot chocolate (ValaisGrom) in the Phoenix Bike Park cafe wound us down nicely, and as the drizzle started I rode over to the car to pack bikes and kit. ‘Just one more run....’ said Alex, and off he went. Now, in the back of my mind I was thinking, yes, he’ll just think I am a boring old git to say ‘no last runs..’ but I suppressed it, and carried on with removing the front wheel.

‘He’s down!’ Was the shout from the Scotsman next to me...and yep, going into a simple turn which we had ridden literally hundreds of times before, he had strayed onto the rubble at the bottom of the berm, and the front wheel had washed out. Classic error. And he was staying down. S h i t. His Bell fullface MIPS helmet had done its job...no damage to his head despite a slam on the ground. But it was another story with his shoulder. He was grimacing like hell, and when sitting up shaking involuntarily. Big compressive force up through the shoulder....AC tear? Rotator cuff? Socket or humerus fracture? Collarbone? My guess was a fracture, given the shaking, and four hours in A&E with us sitting in full I’m an Alien gear confirmed torsional fracture in the clavicle - phew...a simple break and so a good prognosis.

And so we discussed ‘one more run...’ and the fact that we ban it. Why...because as our friend and ski school director Yves Caillet says - adrenaline levels up, muscles rested and less active, ambition to go big and fast as a ‘last thing’, senses depressed from sitting and relaxing at the ‘end’ of the session - a rich combination of physical and mental factors. I should have listened to my inner voice and followed the rule of Staying Alive and Fit you Eeejit (SAFE) ... no ‘last runs’. Not ever.....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, particularly after having a collision on my last run of the holiday once.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
well...i strained my knee twice, walking to the car at the end of the day becasue of some ice round the parking place...
so i understand your wife...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I suffer from the one last run syndrome, I give it all on the last day, yes My brain is writing cheques my legs can't cash, I just can't help it. God forbid someone in the group wants a long lunch,
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nearly the same...

Advanced race school at Donnington, we've had a cracking day, learned lots but still not got the knee down. Last lap and I got my mate with a brilliant exit out of Coppice. Anyway, over the line and the checkered flag came down, "Oh yes" thinks I...the next thought was "but I've got one more lap to get the knee down"...

First corner is Redgate, highsided so high I was in orbit, broken collarbone, 4 hours in A& E because I passed out.

Bo11ox! rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm always a bit aware that I've got to get packed, get the flight, get home safe and in one piece, don't want anything to spoil the last day, etc. So, yes, I'm always a bit more cautious, maybe. But not really sure why. Not a "curse", certainly.
After all, the only bad injury which I've suffered on the pistes was on the first run of my first day of the trip, so... rolling eyes

Am always minded never to do 'just one more', 'just a bit more difficult', etc when tired, at the end of the day, etc etc.
Always finish on a good run, though. Smile
ski holidays
I never declare a last run. I decide at the bottom if that was it. If I decide to do more repeat until the run just gone was the last
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
I never declare a last run. I decide at the bottom if that was it. If I decide to do more repeat until the run just gone was the last

Genius !
ski holidays
Yes, must admit I do suffer from lastdayitus - more on the family trip, than any friends trip. If it's been a great week with the family then I'm just keen on quitting while we're ahead, and it's not unusual for us to finish an hour or so early, and have an extra drink at the bar.

The concept of 'last run of the day' doesn't worry me - more the concept of 'one more run'. It's when you ski that last run home, and finish with a big sigh of relief and just as you are about to unclip your skis, someone says 'shall we get the chair back up and do it one more time'. That's a big no from me!
snow report
obmij wrote:
It's a thing. Last day is also likely to be the weekend so crowded with locals as well as holidaymakers.

My last skiing day is usually a Saturday - change over day - when the resort is usually at it's quietest. Might depend where you go - most of the places I go aren't big day tripper desinations.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:

I'm the same.

I'm also quite a calm person so tend not to get over excited in any scenario.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:

That only works when skiing alone.

Otherwise, you do need to decide if you all will re-group by the lift or not (or risk being “those” who congregate at the lift entrance blocking it for everyone else)

Friends of mine actually call it “next to last” run!

All that said, I don’t suffer from it. I tend to take it a little easier on the last run. I just like it that way, a relaxing wind down. Other times, my last run are imposed upon me, when I got to the bottom and the lifts have already stopped.
ski holidays
@abc, er no. while we can indeed decide to re-group by the lift I can then decide if that was the last run for me; if it was then I can leave them to it. And we never block a lift entrance
snow report
I find the whole "don't call it last run" superstition a little stupid. Additional runs obviously increase risk of injury simply due to increased exposure, fatigue, and possibly busier slopes at the end of the day. But I'm not buying the idea most people ski their last run with a massively different approach to the rest of the day.

As humans we have a bias to weight our recollection of events on how they ended rather than the overall average. There is some interesting research around this in pain, so for example 2 people visit the dentist for the same treatment they scored their pain every 1min out of 10. Both have an average of 6 for the procedure, but the one who had an 8 for the last few mins is going to score the overall experience much more painful than the guy who had a 6 for the last few mins. The suggestion was that dentists actually finish the procedure and then spend a few mins pretending to be doing something!

So I think ending on a high is probably a good approach to take, certainly getting hurt on the last day is going to leave a sour taste of the whole trip. However, I suspect there is a happy medium, I think going super cautious can actually increase risk in some cases.
ski holidays
I don't know about @holidayloverxx but for me it's not a superstition. It's just what we do.

Ironically if you do take the last lift up you will find that the slopes are quieter than they were half an hour ago. And I often find it quite a magical time as the sun is sinking and the lifts stop around us.
snow report
Yeah the Canadian's sometimes play that "last run" superstition. I don't play.

It's tricky too as if you think about bad things, they're more likely to occur on one's "last run", because if it's bad enough... you'll end the session. So more accidents are likely to happen on the last run, in that sense.

I like being last on the slopes - as pointed out, it's quieter then. But if I'm with a group sometimes it's obvious that people are getting tired, which is a good time to pull the plug, because I think the risk of injury does go up in those circumstances.

As far as last day of a season's concerned... I don't look at things that way.
If anything I'm the opposite; I may be fairly risk averse on day one of a long trip, because I think I need to get back into things a bit before doing the flashy stuff.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
I often find it quite a magical time as the sun is sinking and the lifts stop around us.

For January, yes. Not so for March/April. The sun will be high in the sky when the lift closes.

In March and April, I quite often ski till the lift closes, or slightly after when taking the last few chair up. The snow condition is often excellent late in the day. But in December/January, I almost never ski the last HOUR of the lift running schedule. With the sun dropping low, the snow hardens and gets icier. Unpleasant and higher potential for getting injured. And I rarely have any of my friends suggesting “one more run” in that kind of day.

Quote:
Ironically if you do take the last lift up you will find that the slopes are quieter than they were half an hour ago.

Not my experience. If the weather is good, snow is good, it’s busy as ever till the lift stops running.

There is one thing European resorts have that N. American resort generally don’t have. Twice at snowheads bashes, I was in a group which spent too much time at lunch and was rushing to get through the multiple lifts to get back to the valley we were staying in! That’s definitely a recipe for injury. And if some in the group have had a bit more alcohol than they should, well…
ski holidays
@abc, your choice. I love the last hour when we go at Christmas. I don't find conditions unpleasant or particularly dangerous.

The sun is still going down in March/April. It's still quieter IME. I actually don't like the last run home too much as it tends to be very slushy - but it's not dangerous.

abc wrote:
There is one thing European resorts have that N. American resort generally don’t have. Twice at snowheads bashes, I was in a group which spent too much time at lunch and was rushing to get through the multiple lifts to get back to the valley we were staying in! That’s definitely a recipe for injury. And if some in the group have had a bit more alcohol than they should, well…

I don't drink or go to restaurants.

I have on occasion been on the "hurry up" although it actually makes more sense to ski conservatively in that scenario. Any fall, mishap or misturn could be costly in terms of time - and making the connection.
snow conditions
In the old days with less responsibilities for family we would ski with some abandon, too fast and throw ourselves down slopes that might be at the edge of our abilities to chalk up a black.

But certainly now there is more thought to ensure that the next days travel arrangements home aren’t upset by some preventable injury, like not doing that “last run” but stopping when fatigue set in.

I did fall and wrench a shoulder a day before leaving once and was worried about lifting the luggage but a good nights sleep luckily seemed to sort it out.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The story I wrote emphasised that increased injury on ‘Just one last run’ doesn’t exist by virtue of magic but through the different approach we take to it and what can happen when we already have ‘wound down’….it’s a toxic mix and very real…not magical or superstition at all….
latest report
abc wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

That only works when skiing alone.

Otherwise, you do need to decide if you all will re-group by the lift or not (or risk being “those” who congregate at the lift entrance blocking it for everyone else)

Friends of mine actually call it “next to last” run!

All that said, I don’t suffer from it. I tend to take it a little easier on the last run. I just like it that way, a relaxing wind down. Other times, my last run are imposed upon me, when I got to the bottom and the lifts have already stopped.

Also, in a group, unless it's communicated it's not the last run, sometimes people in the group can assume it is. What I mean is, when skiing we generally explore quite a large area and the only time we do that run that takes us back to our accommodation or apres bar is on the last run of the day. Especially if it's after 4pm. So it might not be declared as the last run, but we all know it is. It's more of a shock if, as I breath out and look to unclip out of my skis, someone says it wasn't the last run and we're going up the chairlift again to do another run back down. At that point, my view is 'no that was the last run, and now you're proposing one more run' and that's the one that rings alarm bells so I wish them well and head to the bar!
ski holidays
@valais2, @Handy Turnip, quite right. It’s the “one more run” that’s the bigger problem.

But there’s definitely some of that when one is far away from home base and that “last run” is actually several runs just to get back. At that point, one is possibly already somewhat tired. Things can go sideways…

I was once in a group doing that kind of “long last run” back home, when someone in the front decide he wish to “checkout” some spot, which would have taken us below the lift that would take us back home the shortest way. Half of the group in front were ok to go along with that. But I declared I would go back up the lift as originally intended without the extra excursion as I was quite tired at that point (and condition deteriorated fast). Fortunately for the group, those who half-heartedly decided to go along also changed their mind to join me instead. So the instigator reluctantly gone along with us “chickens”. As luck would have it, the lift they intended to take had broken down right at that time and people had to take a much longer way to get back home in rather poor conditions. Other people in our trip were caught in that mayhem which we got to laugh at their expense.

I’ve been known to have “saved” my group from such atrocious end of day saga in more than one occasions. Granted, I’ve also missed some good runs when condition turned out to be better than expected (or the sun came out in full glory on that “one more run”). So, apart from not having that “last run” superstition, I’m also open to “one more run” occasionally. It all depends on how I feel. But I won’t be pressured into one if I don’t feel quite like it.
snow conditions
My approach is to finish with a "warm down" run in much the same way as I would warm down from another sport, that way I'm relaxed and in the right frame of mind for getting back to the hot chocolate/sauna/cold beer safely.

For some reason I don't get the "one more wave" problem surfing but I guess that's because you always ride the last one in so one more would also involve paddling all the way out again which I'm not inclined to do at the end of the session.
latest report
@valais2, an N=1 experience doesn't make it true. I suspect we do see more injuries later in the day due to fatigue, but sure if your legs have gone I'm not suggesting you keep skiing.

I've been out with people that have fell on their first run of the day (not warmed up?), last run before lunch (mentally switched off? Low blood sugar?), first run after lunch (not warmed up? Blood not going to the muscles because they are still digesting?). You can make whatever narrative fit your experience with some reasonable suggestions.

I've also been with someone that had a bad fell on their only descent of the day when touring, suppose that's both first and last!

The irony is their is always a last run of the day. Refusing to call it that doesn't make it more/less likely for an injury to happen. If someone suggests "one more run" and you are knackered it's always wise to say no. But for those of us with a decent level of fitness I don't really buy it being more risky than any other run of the day (the exception might be if it involves a busy home run).
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
If someone suggests "one more run" and you are knackered it's always wise to say no. But for those of us with a decent level of fitness I don't really buy it being more risky than any other run of the day (the exception might be if it involves a busy home run).

Just to add, generally the person suggesting one more run is likely feeling fine, while others may not. When I ski with friends, they are much better skiers than me (ironically my fitness is much better than theirs) so I'm skiing closer to the limit for much of the day. Hence I'll always turn down one more run now (which I didn't on my first trip with them and fell).

It's with that in mind, I have make sure I remember that when skiing with the family - when I'm generally skiing within myself. Sometimes on the way home, I'll see a lift and suggest we make a detour and do a few more runs. I need to remember that they'll feel obliged or even keen to do it, but their legs might not be feeling quite as good as mine!
snow conditions
But serious injuries are very unlikely to occur except on the last run of the day.....
snow report
Origen wrote:
But serious injuries are very unlikely to occur except on the last run of the day.....

The serious injury would make that “the last run” anyway
snow conditions
@boarder2020, yep I covered that in the original article. Obviously any run with an accident which stops you skiing is a 'last run'. I am not talking about 'last runs'. I make it clear that I am talking about the number of accidents occurring on something which someone has called 'Just one more run'; a run which is intended to be the last one and is known to be the last one. And does a different psychology affect such a run? It certainly can do. If you have stopped and wound down, and then do 'Just one more run', then there are physiological factors kicking in too. And that can add up...

...do we have definitive studies and therefore stats? No.
....do we have stories of memorable 'just one more run' incidents? Yes

Is this all a bit of fun....most probably
is it all in the mind...mostly
Is it a real syndrome...p o s s i b l y
snow report
Quote:

...do we have definitive studies and therefore stats? No.
....do we have stories of memorable 'just one more run' incidents? Yes

You might have stories. But there are plenty more cases where "just one more run" results in no falls/injury. Of course there is a bias to remember the cases where an injury happens and then we have to concoct a story to explain why. But sometimes accidents just happen. Imo people are way more "wound down" and "psychologically switched off" after a big relaxing lunch possibly with an alcoholic drink or two. It's rare ime there is ever a big break between a penultimate run and "one more". Typically you ski down to the village and say something along the lines of "back a bit early and conditions are good, one more lap?" Yes/no and go.
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:

Is this all a bit of fun....most probably

These days, any attempt at “a bit of fun” on snowheads gets turned into arguments!

Sadly, there’re simply not enough “fun” posts to dilute those over-the-top “seriousness”.
latest report
@boarder2020, Ah....the alcohol-laden lunch.

That indeed has always seemed like a Very Bad Idea to me.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy