Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

West Austria resorts

Poster: A snowHead
I'd appreciate some advice on choice of resort please.

From a number of other threads I have narrowed down my half term plans for 2025 to aim for west Austria on (or close) to the train line between Zurich and Innsbruck (Alberg Pass).

The trip would be for me and my 10 year old. I can ski the whole mountain and he is an intermediate who can handle red runs in poor conditions if needed.

In terms of terrain somewhere like Ischgl would suit us perfectly.

What I am looking for (in rough order of priority):
Good snow
Avoid lift queues - I'm ok if the first lifts up from the village are busy at peak times but I want to avoid queues as much as possible throughout the day.
A good range of red and blue runs in a decent sized well linked area.
Modern high speed lift system.
Accommodation close to the lifts, avoiding the need for long walks or busses.
Self catering apartment ideally but would consider half board hotel or catered chalet (but not B&B)

Not bothered about
Apres ski
Cute piste restaurants (we just go to a big self service)
Off piste
Expert runs
The cheapest resort

Does this sounds like Lech or is there another better option I am not thinking of?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Henwc, From a train perspective St Anton is the obvious choice. The station is in the middle of the village about 5 minutes walk from the main lift, direct trains from Zürich. The Arlberg has some of the best skiing in the Alps. The downsides are primarily the cost and the number of people. The skiing doesn't suit everyone (mainly those who are used to a "French" type set up with a dense network of cruisy runs) but for those who want a bit of a challenge (not just rubber legged experts) there are few better places. Plenty of apartments available through the tourist office website.

Lech shares the same skiing but has a different atmosphere more upmarket winter hideaway (30 minutes or so on the bus from St Anton, buses meet trains), apres more sekt & canapes than beer & schnapps! Traditionally more expensive than St Anton but not sure if that is true anymore.

Less well known would be the Montafon resorts https://www.montafon.at/en a group of traditional villages not far from Bludenz (direct from Zürich). Similar snow conditions to the Arlberg (next door valley) though not as big an area. Likely to be cheaper & less busy than the Arlberg.

Ischgl certainly has a good ski area (arguably better than the Arlberg for those who prefer easy piste skiing) but it is at least as expensive as the Arlberg, less snowfall but a longer season, the main area being higher so a greater variety of reliable skiing. The "village" is not to everyone's taste (I think it is a tacky pseudo alpine village designed to extract cash from visitors but others love it). Getting there is not so easy. Trains to Landeck (again direct from Zürich) then either the best part of an hour on the bus or a taxi. Apartments not so common as elsewhere as the focus is on hotels but there are some. My experience is that staying in a nearby village like Kappl or Galtür means a car as the bus service is not as good as elsewhere but others seem to cope.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 24-04-24 9:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if you are not looking for something cheap, i do not see if you could find something better as Arlberg
maybe warth is another options, but West Austria ? something else?
Is also West Tirol in West Austria? if yes then also Ischgl or Serfaus Fiss Ladis
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serfaus Fiss Ladis is another good alternative to those mentioned above (all of which are great)

It has a family focus, good lifts, expansive and well linked area.

Additionally, loads of things to do with kids: night skiing (really long slope), tobogganing, a show on the mountain, a climbing hall and many more.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had forgotten about SFL, probably a good fit and near Landeck (either buses or taxi), unusally for Austria not much apres, recent reports have commented about the cost but wont be any more than Arlberg or Ischgl .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, winner currently looks like £2,500 for half board in a central 4* hotel in St Anton for the week, seems ok value as far as I can tell, would I be overpaying?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Henwc wrote:
Thanks all, winner currently looks like £2,500 for half board in a central 4* hotel in St Anton for the week, seems ok value as far as I can tell, would I be overpaying?

If that's for 2 with travel etc sounds reasonable.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Henwc wrote:

If that's for 2 with travel etc sounds reasonable.
No travel just hotel half board.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Henwc, If that is a double room in the centre of the village then that is the current going rate high season. Which hotel? Just need to check you are central not in the relative wilds of Nasserein or Moos. For that money you want to be within easy reach of Galzigbahn or Nassereinbahn.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We went to Montafon this year and stayed in this lovely apartment - https://www.haus-gant.at/ - which is from E73/night (i.e. from E500/week) for two. It's just across the road from an excellent restaurant which has live music, plus nearest lift is about 200m away. The owner was lovely!
Nearest railway is at Schruns, which is part of the same ski area and just a 20 minute ski-bus ride away.
And there's great skiing with not much in the way of queues.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
munich_irish wrote:
@Henwc, If that is a double room in the centre of the village then that is the current going rate high season. Which hotel? Just need to check you are central not in the relative wilds of Nasserein or Moos. For that money you want to be within easy reach of Galzigbahn or Nassereinbahn.
Hotel Grieshof, seems to be close to Galzigbahn and includes lockers at the lift
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Henwc, sounds like -especially- your son would appreciate Lech more than St.Anton.
Lech is also more central to the skiarea than St.Anton
And you should be able to find something like Grieshof in Lech too. Some names that pop up: Monzabon, Bellevue, Omesberg, Haldenhof, Panorama, Fritz. All (very) close to a major lift.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Langerzug wrote:
@Henwc, sounds like -especially- your son would appreciate Lech more than St.Anton.
And you should be able to find something like Grieshof in Lech too. Some names that pop up: Monzabon, Bellevue, Omesberg, Haldenhof, Panorama, Fritz. All (very) close to a major lift.
Thanks, a bit of internet searching of the hotel websites suggests I'm most likely trying to book too far ahead which probably explains why I was getting prices over 3k for the same week in Lech. Might give it a while before I look again.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Henwc, Grieshof is a good hotel, has a spa and is right in the centre, but off the main street so should be quiet. It's about a 10 min walk to either Galzigbahn or Rendlbahn.
Alternatives to consider in the same price range might be the Sport Hotel, Hotel Post or Anthony's Lifestyle.
Some establishments don't start taking booking until September, those are mainly pensions though.
St Anton is the best for access from airports such as Zurich or Innsbruck with direct trains from Zurich (approx 2.5 hrs) and Innsbruck (1 hrs) hbf.
Serfaus better for red runs, extensive ski area, popular with families.Transfer from Innsbruck airport is an hour away by taxi;
Serfaus is ribbon development with hotels strung out down the village road. Also, includes villages of Fiss and Ladis, same lift system as Serfaus.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Henwc, try this hotel in Stuben. Elevator to/from the piste on the hotel grounds Smile and as you aren't in St Anton you are ahead of any crowds wanting to get to/from Lech Smile

https://www.hubertushof-arlberg.at/
snow conditions
@Henwc, That's a pretty good spot, easy walk from the station even with bags. If you have lockers at Galzig then its a short walk in the mornings & evenings. Being so close to the station means it is also very easy to get the bus the Zürs in the morning should you wish (no problem to ski over either) or get back in the evenings if you are late in Lech or Warth. Prices have gone up a lot recently and would be surprised if you find a 4 star place for much if any less peak season anywhere in the Arlberg. I know it probably doesnt interest you but it is ideal for going out round the village, there is a sports centre with a climbing wall pretty much opposite the hotel.
ski holidays
@Leonard Smalls, how much did you pay for a lift pass? And did you get the WildPass?
latest report
This is lovely with a good restaurant https://www.zurpfeffermuehle.com/en/special-offers/
snow conditions
@Gordyjh, but location doesn’t meet the Ops needs

the hotel’s own shuttle transports you directly to the ski area
ski holidays
Avoiding buses can be overrated…
ski holidays
Henwc wrote:
Langerzug wrote:
Thanks, a bit of internet searching of the hotel websites suggests I'm most likely trying to book too far ahead which probably explains why I was getting prices over 3k for the same week in Lech. Might give it a while before I look again.

Correct. Early spring is very much holiday period for the hoteliers themselves, so quite a few booking-calendars will not be up to date or even open.
latest report
Thanks all for the help, my plan is now to book train tickets to and from Innsbruck as soon they come out and then wait to find suitable accommodation. If I get something close to St Anton or Landeck Zams then I can always get off the train a few stops earlier.
ski holidays
ste_B wrote:
@Leonard Smalls, how much did you pay for a lift pass? And did you get the WildPass?

We got the wild pass, 8 days was IIRC, E330 each. Felt a bit weird just getting a QR code after paying, but worked absolutely fine in the ticket machine.
latest report
@Leonard Smalls, thanks.
The move to dynamic pricing makes it harder to find last year's lift pass prices.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy