Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resorts for Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Look for advice on good ski resorts for Christmas '24. Myself, husband and two kids (1 tween and 1 teen) have been skiing over 6 years (bar Covid era!) and usually find ourselves in France, most recently Ardent/Avoriaz this winter. Keen to go again next Christmas and whilst i know it is early in the season, would be keen to know the best options to consider. A few things on my 'wishlist' below, but appreciate there is compromise:

Ideally self catering, but with nearby shops/restaurants
Ski in/ski out or as close to as possible - really keen to avoid buses or long walks if possible (esp as i suffer with feet/boot pain despite custom made boots - one for another post!)
Don't mind if we fly or drive - can do either
Good mix of blue and reds with a fee blacks, so family friendly
Not going to bankrupt me for the rest of the year!
and of course, best likelihood of snow!

I have tried to do lots of research but its hard to nail down a few options. Any recommendations on real experience would be very much appreciated. Don't mind if its France, Italy, Bulgaria, Austria etc. Thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MrsMc, welcome to SH's.

Every ski town will have some shops/restaurants.
Whilst there are some ski in/ski out options France is the most geared up/as the most options.
For a family of 4 self catering on a budget driving to France kinda wins out.

Christmas is early season but it's also coming into mid-winter - so generally cold, can be dull, can be a stormy and close in. For that reason I like to be down in the trees - my go to is Les Coches but there are other options. Certainly if you go to the likes of Val Thoren, Tignes, Arc 2000 you will have immediate access to the best snow but it's a bigger drive up the mountain and if the weather hits you will be very restricted.

Christmas is not a prime peak week (like Half Term or New Year week) but busyish.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MrsMc,
Xmas is early season nowadays, so I'd only recommend resorts with plenty of piste above 2500m:-
France. Espace Killy (aka Tignes-Val D'Isere); Paradiski; 3 Valleys
Italy. Cervinia-Valtournenche
The Swiss resorts would probably blow your budget.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We found last Christmas that Christmas Day was quiet but the resort started filling up a lot a few days after Christmas and got busier as the week went on. The advice to go somewhere where you can get up to high altitude, but which also offers shelter down in the trees is good.
A few Christmases ago my daughter and family did a "family week" in UCPA La Plagne. It was "ski in/out", they had a family room and found the facilities and food very good, and a welcome change from self-catering. Drove themselves there. All inclusive but in a quite different price bracket from Club Med!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MrsMc wrote:
Look for advice on good ski resorts for Christmas '24. Myself, husband and two kids (1 tween and 1 teen) have been skiing over 6 years (bar Covid era!) and usually find ourselves in France, most recently Ardent/Avoriaz this winter. Keen to go again next Christmas and whilst i know it is early in the season, would be keen to know the best options to consider. A few things on my 'wishlist' below, but appreciate there is compromise:

Ideally self catering, but with nearby shops/restaurants
Ski in/ski out or as close to as possible - really keen to avoid buses or long walks if possible (esp as i suffer with feet/boot pain despite custom made boots - one for another post!)
Don't mind if we fly or drive - can do either
Good mix of blue and reds with a fee blacks, so family friendly
Not going to bankrupt me for the rest of the year!
and of course, best likelihood of snow!

I have tried to do lots of research but its hard to nail down a few options. Any recommendations on real experience would be very much appreciated. Don't mind if its France, Italy, Bulgaria, Austria etc. Thanks in advance

What’s a tween ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We only went over Christmas once when the kids were young.

We decided on Arc 1950 and it was excellent:

- S/C in an apartment that was much nearer Canadian standards for size
- Everything was only a stone's throw away
- Excellent ski school
- Ski In; Ski Out
- High enough to be snow sure
- Nice swimming pool

Downsides

- It's more expensive.....so might bankrupt you for the rest of the year
- Advisable to book early if eating out...at least that was the case with us

IMV. Highly recommended
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, that was my thought too when @Layne suggested Les Coches. Any of the higher Arcs resorts (I think 1800 would be fine) will have snow, and depending on conditions you can choose runs above (if poor snow cover lower down) or below (if weather/visibility means skiing below the treeline is preferable).

Les Coches is of course just the next hill across, but it is a bit lower so you could be unlucky and have slushy conditions in the immediate vicinity - but there is gondola access to/from higher slopes. And probably cheaper.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@MrsMc, We have done skiing at Christmas almost every year for the last 30 years, usually self catering in Arc1600 and it has usually been excellent. It is not as crowded as the New Year week and we have always had snow. We have also done a couple catered chalets when our son was young and they were good.

Many years ago people didn't ski at Christmas as it was regarded as too early in the season, now with snow making and careful snow manangement many, if not most, resorts open for Christmas. You may find some pistes not yet open and pistuers skiing down in front of you putting markers in but there is skiing and it is much better than being stuck at home.

@j b, All the Les Arcs villages are high enougth and as snow sure as it gets. Vallandry is a little lower but we have never been unable to ski to it. Villaroger at 1200m is also generally open. Across the valley Les Coches, though quite low has IIRC had snow every Christmas I have been to Les Arcs.

For the record the heights of the Les Arcs villages are:

Arc 1600 - 1630m (Cachette lift)
Arc 1800 - 1700m (the Vagere chairlift is at 1734 and the Transarc 30 or so metres lower)
Arc 1950 - 2050m
Arc 2000 - 2150m

I know it is confusing but they are just names.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Restless native wrote:
What’s a tween ?

Child under 13 who's already behaving like a teenager.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Old Fartbag wrote:
We only went over Christmas once when the kids were young.

We decided on Arc 1950 and it was excellent:

- S/C in an apartment that was much nearer Canadian standards for size
- Everything was only a stone's throw away
- Excellent ski school
- Ski In; Ski Out
- High enough to be snow sure
- Nice swimming pool

Downsides

- It's more expensive.....so might bankrupt you for the rest of the year
- Advisable to book early if eating out...at least that was the case with us

IMV. Highly recommended

When was that? Been there mid/late april '18 and the pool was absolute madness. They got one tiny tiny little piscine for the whole freakin town, fgs! I found that extremely dissapointing given their 5-star stance. There were a few (very few) outside hottubs scattered around the place, though.

Honestly, I wouldn't go to Paradiski at that time of year, as it's bleak. Comes into it's own in february, so good from march onwards, imho.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tristero, It was quite a while ago and was to The Radisson building.

The question was about personal experience at Christmas - so that was when we went.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 17-04-24 16:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tristero wrote:
Honestly, I wouldn't go to Paradiski at that time of year, as it's bleak.

If you said 1950/2000 I might agree with you but "Paradiski" or more specifically certain parts are very good at that time of the year.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tristero, don't forget that one of the USPs of 1950 is the family oriented Christmas Eve street entertainment and parade: it is far from bleak during the week-long festivities however desolate the landscape outside the village!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mjit wrote:
Restless native wrote:
What’s a tween ?

Child under 13 who's already behaving like a teenager.

Ah ok….
Thanks, Andy snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ischgl. Stay in one of the many hotels garni above the Fimba Lift.
snow conditions
mayrhofen stay in the strass.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy