Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Report - Obergurgl, Austria. Easter 2024.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Background

I wanted to write this as I have found similar reports helpful when planning my first ski trip. Maybe this one will help someone else.

I have looked for too long to take the family skiing. I had only skied once (approx. 12 years ago) in Austria where we drove in a minibus non-stop using the tunnel. This was all arranged by someone, we shared driving, and I do not recall where we skied other than it was near Innsbruck. It was great fun learning a new skill on the slopes, partaking in a few drinks, and enjoying the trip with mates.

Current situation is wife plus three kids. Wife has skied a few times (Norway and France) with family when younger, kids have never skied. My wife unfortunately inured her ankle a couple of months ago but suggested I could take the kids myself – this opened up far more accommodation options rather than the usual limitations of booking for five people.

After a lot of reading and help from SnowHeads, Obergurgl was selected as the destination based on altitude hopefully meaning snow, flight availability, reputation of ski lessons, and possibly as I had been to Austria. I looked at the usual tour operators but as I could not go for a full week, DIY seemed the best way forward.

Trip

Flights were booked from Manchester to Innsbruck, departing on a Saturday 6th April 2024 (Jet2), returning on a Wednesday 10th April 2024 (EasyJet). Accommodation was half-board at the VAYA Crystal in Obergurgl. Taxi was organised by the hotel from the airport to accommodation. Ski school for kids and myself was with Skischule Obergurgl, equipment hire with Scheiber Sport.

After coaxing the kids out of bed at 5 am on the Saturday morning for an uneventful drive to Manchester Airport, we parked in our pre-booked carpark space and walked across the road to Terminal 2. Upon landing at Innsbruck, we were greeted by 22 degC blazing sunshine – and I had a woolly pully, warm jacket, ski jacket on, and the kids were similarly attired. I was a little worried about being able to ski as it was like a very warm summer’s day! But we collected our luggage, and the taxi was waiting to take us up to Obergurgl on a very scenic drive, where it was just as hot.

Ski equipment was collected that afternoon and we walked to see where the ski lessons would start from. The ski equipment was across the road, the ski school meeting point was two minutes walk up the road, and the hotel had a ski depot where you can leave boots, skis, poles, helmets, rather than fill up hotel rooms. A very good idea which I never realised was a thing.

Next morning we got our ski clothes, walked to the ski depot and got boots on to walk to the lesson meeting point. First lesson learned, walking in ski boots, carrying skis and poles, is far harder than strolling a few hundred metres in trainers…and sweaty work in 20+ degC sunny weather, whilst wearing far too many clothes. I ended up carrying four pairs of skis to help the kids, who were also inappropriately dressed with too many layers by their father, and struggling to walk in boots with the skis and poles. We were late for the lesson…after being so pleased the day before that the walk was only two minutes! Not really an issue in our case as the lessons were private so the teachers were waiting for us. But I was surprised by the effort and time needed to cover a very small distance.

The three kids had their teacher and I had mine so we parted ways to get started.

Over the three days we had skiing (Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday), we all had lessons morning and afternoon on Monday and Tuesday, and only morning lessons on Tuesday. Both instructors were great. In hindsight I didn’t need so many lessons – not because I could ski well, more that I needed time to just practice some basics and get used to the skis. Although having the instructor there was a great confidence boost for myself as I didn’t really know the way round or how things worked in general (different lifts, slope etiquette, anything really!). We all really enjoyed the lessons, and the kids were always keen to get back for the afternoon, instructing me that they didn’t want to be late.

There were no expectations in terms of a certain slope to be able to go down, or a level for the kids to reach. All three kids were skiing down mountains following their instructors. My eldest had a go on some of the jumps until he took a tumble and bruised his coccyx (still bruised now).

The scenery was incredible. Clear blue skies, snow topped mountains all round. Far too beautiful for me to describe in words. And I couldn’t quite comprehend how it was so warm, but we were skiing on snow. My instructor did mention that the snow wasn’t ideal, but I don’t have enough experience to comment and found it fine for my needs. I really enjoyed the skiing and enjoyed using the swimming pool with the kids on an afternoon after “cake o’clock”. The half board was ideal for my circumstances as I don’t think I would have had capacity to prepare meals on the holiday.

We had a taxi back to Innsbruck at 6 am on the Wednesday for our flight back to Manchester. Everything went smoothly. Only slight oversight on my part was that the EasyJet flight landed in a different terminal so there was a trek back to the car.

Summary

Everyone enjoyed the trip and is keen for another. We were all ready for bed at 9 o’clock on an evening and by the end of the three days, we were all physical tired.

Whole trip was just shy of £5,400, with the bulk being lessons and accommodation (which included meals). There is plenty more I could write but I thought I would get something to post before time erodes the memory.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brilliant! Thanks for posting. Glad you had such a great time.

I love Obergurgl. It’s the first place my kids skiid. Doesn’t suit my husband as he likes a big area and lots of steep runs for snowboarding but I was lucky enough to do 3 days with a friend in December this season. We had a brilliant instructor but the Nederhutte was my highlight!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent

Thanks for sharing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glad you enjoyed the holiday and took time to report back. The Crystal Vaya is a lovely hotel (great food) which will be even better for you when you don't need lessons. Hardly any walking at all! Straight through the boot room to walk up the stairs to the lift. Then ski straight back in at the end of the day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Successful first time, well done!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great report - thanks for sharing Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy