Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with ski boots - am I overflexing them?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there-

Looking for some advice on ski boots. I’ve been skiing for about 5 years now, starting out 5-10 days a season living in Europe, and I now moved to the US and ski about 20-30 days a season.

I am 6”4 / 230 Lbs and quite an athletic person, played sports my whole life, and am relatively strong, although aerobic fitness isn’t quite what it once was…

I bought a pair of Technica Mach MVs 120s in 2019 after ~1 year of skiing with custom insert, on the recommendation of a boot-fitter in London (Pro Feet). After about ~1 more year of skiing I felt like I wasn’t getting quite enough support from the boots, and added a booster strap which helped with both comfort and support.

At the time I only skied on-piste blues / reds, but was told by instructors that I would probably pass the Level-1 ski instructor course based on my carving.

My Carv score (though not sure how much I would self-assess as a “Grim Reaper” averages between 140-155. I would self-assess as a Level 8 -10 skiier on the Inside Out guide, better on piste, weaker off piste, especially in bumps; but I do enjoy working on getting better at them.

As I’ve spent more time living in CO, I am noticing on steeper terrain that I am running into issues (Double Blacks and bumps mainly).

I find myself ratcheting up my boots, and had to move the buckles in a spot to allow me to get them tight enough, and this has helped for a while, however I am now noticing another issue which is when I get forward in the boots, I have enough space behind my calf to fit 5 fingers or my entire hand in to be honest… I believe this is leading me to lean back on steeper terrain, limiting my control.

I am (self-diagnosed) slightly low ankle flex, and can only manage about 8-9cm on the wall test on the left foot, and 10-11cm on the right.

I believe these are all symptoms of me over-flexing the boots, but given I have slightly low ankle flex, I am wondering if this is the right conclusion.

When I am at home in the living room (70F) I can get the bottom of buckle 3 to touch the plastic close to buckle 4.

Am I right to conclude I am over-flexing the boot?

I think I can get a bolt can be put in the back to stiffen them up, but I’m not sure about the amount of space at the back of my calf, that sounds like it might need to be foam inserts… which at that point, should I plump for new boots?

Thanks

Ben
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's possible they're just worn out. Expect plenty of other answers shortly Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
With all those stats, I'd have thought you should be in at least a 130 flex, maybe 140. You could put zipfits in them to stiffen them up but I think it's just time to move up.

The only thing you say that seems odd is that you notice it most in bumps, I'd expect you to be over powering them whilst carving, especially if you're using a stiff ski.

The most obvious sign of a too soft boot is that it will literally collapse on you momentarilly as you push into it in a high g force situation. I find the highest g force point is the apex of a carved turn. But I'm not carving on lovely soft CO snow so that may be a factor.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@noremedy21, sounds on a quick read that the boots are just too big? or over-compressed i.e. knackered
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There have been a couple of very long discussions on here about flex. Probably worth reading.

Also seems to me you've moved on a lot as skier since you bought the boot and perhaps a respec is in order.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You’d probably benefit from a higher flex at your size, at your level and at your total volume.

I presume from your description that Pro Feet gave you the full customisation needed at the time? Probably worth heading to a good boot fitter closer to you for a reassessment. The gap in the cuff for instance, well, I wouldn’t be happy with that if it were my boots.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
16 stone skier...boots bought in 2019....putting a lot of work thru those boots...they are knackered, buy a new pair that suits your current skill and strength level
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hard to gauge exactly how many days/weeks the OP has skied but yeah it could be they are weakened
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Your boots’ flex is probably too soft, the liners are packed and they have too much volume at least on the calf area.

1. Buy new boots
2. Work on your ankle flex, you’ll see the benefits of stretching as early as in a couple of weeks
3. Leave the spoilers on in your new boots / buy a pair if they don’t come with those.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy