Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile noob

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I’m organising a trip for a group of four guys of mixed ability and La Thuile February 2025 seems to be ticking a lot of boxes for us. Accommodation options seem to be quite limited though as we’re on a bit of a budget, but there are a few decent options on AirBnb etc.

Are there any areas that people would suggest are better/worse than others? Our priorities would just to be conveniently located for access to lifts and shops etc.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Look at a map.

There is a nice old village and the lifts are a bit of a way with the modern purpose built planibel complex.

Not sure what the skibus situation is like.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have looked at a map, but I was trying to get some first hand knowledge and opinion, which a map won’t provide.

From what I can tell La Thuile seems to be quite sprawling. It would just be nice to know where the majority of facilities are within the town.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's a few years since I was there and things may have changed, but my view then was that the development had been very cleverly thought out so that the old part of the town is separated from the Planibel complex by a river (with a couple of bridges to cross the river). The main access lifts are on the Planibel side.
So for convenience it is tempting to stay at the Planibel complex - hotel or self catering since that gives / gave the easiest access to the main uplift.
Similarly, if staying at Planibel, it is easier and more convenient to shop and eat around the Planibel complex rather than the extra walk into town.
That's my memories of it. Someone with more recent experience will now come along and tell me that I am mis-remembering.

Having said that, I enjoyed it there and would happily stay again either in the old town or at Planibel apartments
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi @bit_hehe, I'm just back in Tignes after two weeks in La Thuile. Though based in Tignes I'm in La Thuile regularly over the winter.

Indeed, Planibel apartments (or hotel rooms, according to preference) are the most convenient place to stay. You are right by the lifts. There's a small selection of bars and cafés within the complex, a small supermarket and ski rental, all close by.

To walk into the village, where there are about half a dozen more bars and restaurants takes literally 5 minutes (I've timed it).

If you chose to stay in the old village then there is a free shuttle bus on around a half hour schedule.

If you are driving you can park in the Planibel underground car park for about €80 for the week or for free if you head past the caravan site to the old mine works.

During school holidays there will be periods where there are a lot (lot) of kids about within the complex but they're generally tucked up by the evening.

Do let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks @bobski62 and @JHS Very Happy, some great pointers there and certainly plenty to steer me in the direction of the Planibel complex for the convenience of lift access and shops, bars, cafes and ski rental. Good to know that it's not too far to walk into the older part of the town where there is some additional variety as well.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've booked for La Thuile Feb half term 2025. Usually we go to France opting for a ski in/out appt. But I just didn't fancy Planibel (while it's convenient, it's not literally ski in/out I believe). I've booked a large appt for 4 with bus stop out front, near town with free parking - and asked for Sunday to Sunday which I got (we drive and that week we go is an immense school hol week for UK and France). Probably also the cheapest ski appt I've ever booked and have heard Italy much cheaper for eating out than France!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bit_hehe, What dates are you thinking?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kettonskimum, food is good, but the hot chocolate is what sticks in my mind
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's cheaper, but I wouldn't call it "much cheaper", comparing like for like. If you compare a minor Italian resort with, say, the Three Valleys, fair enough!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Origen, we're on our way home from Val Thorens. Ate out a couple of times, family of 4. Quite expensive!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are ski/boot lockers in the basement of the Planibel, virtually next to the Bosco Express chairlift, that can be rented from OnlySki (express), irrespective of whether you rent skis with them or not.
Typically we rent an AirBnB in the village, walk to the lockers in regular shoes and change in the basement.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree with @wsirhc’s strategy. The old village is really nice with some good restaurants. When we stayed we had a b&b, leaving our gear in the lockers at Planibel.

We caught the bus over in the morning and then walked back in the evening with a stop or two for refreshments on way (a small beer was always accompanied by some snacks which was nice).

Planibel is very well appointed for the slopes but we enjoyed seeing the village and as 4 blokes (no children) a 5-10 minutes wander without kit shouldn’t harm you.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some gold here, thank you all. @kettonskimum, we’ll be there 8-15th February which I think might is the week before half term (in the UK at least - though I may be wrong there). I have a week in Montgenevre with my family the preceding week, so will be calling by Turin airport to drop off said family and pick up mates en route.

It’s good to get some opinion on village v’s Planibel, thank you @wsirhc and @EdYarker, I’ll definitely look there too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@bit_hehe, I've stayed in the Planibel apartments which are basic but ok. My wife didn't ski some days so I returned to the apartment for lunch - very do-able. You can ski down closer to Planibel than the lifts. Also the pass covers Cormayeur which you can get to on the bus where the pass also includes the Monte Bianco Skyway cable car up to 3466m which is quite an experience imv - if weather good you can see the Aguille du Midi. Also some decent restaurants in the old part of La Thuile and the best hot chocolate I've had in the Alps.
ski holidays
@wsirhc, Quick question - are these lockers heated (for ski boots). If not, is it just one locker for boots and skis and are they generous for a family of 4?

We're in an AirBnB next Feb but it's near a bus stop so was planning to just take that. However the lockers sound appealing and are obviously indoors not out.....it's just that where we stayed recently in France had lockers and we could only just get the skis and poles in. Had to sneak our boots upstairs into the appt.

And any indication of cost? Thanks!
latest report
Is their much apres in La Thuile ?
Am also considering for a group of middle aged fellas .
We don’t need dancing on the table for sure but somewhere reasonably lively would be good.

Have stayed in La Ros many times with family and always liked the skiing in La Thuile (lovely empty pistes).

Residence Planibel used to get some woeful reviews but reading between the lines it looks like it has been getting refurbished ?
Some more recent tripadvisor reviews are quite good.
Anyone visited since that happened ?
Crystal goes there - £583 pp mid Jan including flights and transfers which on paper is tremendous value. I am assuming it can’t be done cheaper DIY
ski holidays
Yes, all the apartments are now refurbished and are quite nice. The communal areas still a little tired. Buvette is now quite lively especially evenings, since it changed hands.
latest report
@sheffskibod, for me, £583, presumably s/c, isn't tremendous value in Jan for what I consider an average resort. I much prefer the GM which you might get for similar money. But things have gone up of course - we went to La Thuile in March 2018 with Crystal for £299 pp (admittedly booking late but that's when you get good value).
ski holidays
The basement is at room temperature, and pretty dry - at the end of the day there will be a bit of melted snow on the floor, but it's all evaporated by the next morning.
There are lockers for 4 skiers - these take 4 pairs of skis + poles and the locker also contains 4 shelves which each will take a pair of boots. 23/24 season these were 10EUR per night.
There are also lockers for 2 skiers which take 2 pairs of skis, poles and boots. 23/24 season these were 5EUR per night.
I have always organised these in advance at the same time as ski rental.
ski holidays
billb wrote:
@sheffskibod, for me, £583, presumably s/c, isn't tremendous value in Jan for what I consider an average resort. I much prefer the GM which you might get for similar money. But things have gone up of course - we went to La Thuile in March 2018 with Crystal for £299 pp (admittedly booking late but that's when you get good value).

What’s the GM ?

Point taken about late deals - we might instead all book a week off either mid Jan or early March (week after French hols finish) and pick something last minute depending on conditions …
snow conditions
I had read GM as Grand Massif.

We drive/DIY ski hols and going to La T next year in Feb half term having only gone to France for numerous years due to shorter driving distances (have to due to it being a GCSE year). Getting fed up of travelling/staying on busy roads/high ski traffic resorts when our holiday week clashes with Paris (which it does again). But will probably switch to Easter going forward anyway.

Heard Italy was quieter so thought we'd give it a go. Found an appt with parking for 750 Euros for the week (we usually have to spend a minimum of 1300 Euros) and asked if we could do Sunday to Sunday which they were fine about (bonus!).

Out of our comfort zone a little, but ticking lots of boxes.
ski holidays
Assuming that the £583pp doesn't include lift passes (a quick look on the Crystal website suggests not) then doing DIY would be cheaper.
Ryanair currently has flights for around £120pp return (inc. 20kg suitcase/skicase) from Stansted to Milan Bergamo for 18-25 Jan and cars rental is currently being advertised at under £100 for the week (with a few "SUVs" being advertised at under £150 for the week).
The only unknown is the cost of accommodation as individual AirBnB owners may not have released everything yet, however, there is currently one appartment for 4 people for 18-25 Jan being advertised at £750 for the week, however, others currently advertised are in the £1,250 - £1750 range for that week.
snow report
@sheffskibod, just to confirm, GM is the Grand Massif which is Flaine linked to Les Carroz, Samoens, Morillon and Sixt - 260km of very accessible pistes as opposed to La Thuile's 160km. The home runs in La Thuile aren't the easiest and there is no "bowl". For me, the Flaine bowl is far superior.

True, you can ski over to France from La Thuile but it's a bit of a schlep imv. Still, horses for courses. La Thuile is a nice old village and Italy is generally cheaper for food and drink.
ski holidays
Just my opinion but staying at Planibel definitely makes life much easier and both the one and two bedroom apts are decent. Worth noting that we had bunk beds in the second bedroom last time though. Can be booked through Planibel website, booking.com or Crystal Ski although the bargain prices that used to exist with Crystal are now sadly a thing of the past. Good size swimming pool as well if you like a proper swim.

As recommended by @wsirhc the ski lockers at OnlySki are a very good idea as you can ski back to just across the road and it's just a short walk in the morning to the Bosco Chair. Also the best place to hire from as we they have the top brands like Stockli etc. On one trip we were given lockers in the basement of Planibel Hotel but decided to pay extra at Only Ski for the convenience as we'd used them before.

Would also recommend the Ski Lab (only a few euros to get skis waxed), just ask at Only Ski and they'll tell you were it is.
snow conditions
Just my opinion but staying at Planibel definitely makes life much easier and both the one and two bedroom apts are decent. Worth noting that we had bunk beds in the second bedroom last time though. Can be booked through Planibel website, booking.com or Crystal Ski although the bargain prices that used to exist with Crystal are now sadly a thing of the past. Good size swimming pool as well if you like a proper swim.

As recommended by @wsirhc the ski lockers at OnlySki are a very good idea as you can ski back to just across the road and it's just a short walk in the morning to the Bosco Chair. Also the best place to hire from as we they have the top brands like Stockli etc. On one trip we were given lockers in the basement of Planibel Hotel but decided to pay extra at Only Ski for the convenience as we'd used them before.

Would also recommend the Ski Lab (only a few euros to get skis waxed), just ask at Only Ski and they'll tell you were it is.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy