Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trysil or Dolomites February for mixed ski levels.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
In need of advice from the experienced ski travellers among you Smile

Background: hubby is an excellent skier though happy to take it easier on reds and blues (but still some challenge), I'm an advanced beginner and my kids would be the same - perfecting our parallels on greens and blues.

Just back from Meribel and it was warm, snow slushy, my form took a nose dive. So thinking Feb next year to reduce this risk.

Considering Alpes d'huez (only put off by how busy it could be), Trysil or the Dolomites (Madonna, Corvara, Cortina,) - basically beginner heaven places so i can get my confidence back but that hubby can go off and find some fun reds.

Trysil Questions:
1. Any advantage of staying at Tourist Centre side over the Hoyfjellserratt side?
2. Ease of getting from (for example) The Radisson at Tourist side to the ski school meet up point on that side?
3. If stayed at the other side, how easy to get to the ski school meet up point there?
4. Should we be put off by all the drag lifts or are they barely an issue?

Essentially, i'm trying to work out how painful the mornings could be rolling eyes

Italy Questions:
1. Anyone have a recommendation for an Italian beginner heaven resort, with an accommodation close to ski school?

Thanks so much folks for any input you can give.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Corvara is blue heaven in Dolomites and my friend is currently staying at the sport hotel there this week and says it’s fabulous

Trysil - its enjoyable and some of the hotels are great, especially the ones ski star have now taken over. However ski school is painful via lifts. If you have a car, then throw skis and kids inside, drive the 500m up the road and park there. Ski school is now 10m away.

I’d also recommend looking at the chalets that are right next to ski school at the top of the mountain. Yes no pool or sauna but ski school is fall out of bed and you’re there.

Button lifts are a pain and people ski across them. The Norwegians are lovely though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would second Corvara as an option - plenty of blue runs to practise on. An alternative is Colfosco, linked to Corvara with a single gondola lift and this is arguably better for beginners.

From Corvara, your husband could ski easily over to Arabba where the skiing is more challenging or head in the other direction towards Selva.

We stayed in the Hotel Mezdi in Colfosco over Christmas and can highly recommend it. Our daughter's partner was a beginner (with a few hours on an indoor slope in the UK beforehand) and he enjoyed Colfosco and all the blues around Corvara. So much so, that we are heading back to Corvara on Saturday.

We spend quite a few half-term weeks in Arabba when my daughter was younger and never found it too busy, although this might have changed. It certainly wasn't too busy over Christmas week. A few Italian regions have school holidays during Carnival week in February, which often clashes with our half-term week, but not the whole country would be on holiday then.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just had a quick look and carnival week in Italy next year seems to start on 22nd Feb, so shouldn't clash with UK half-term.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agent Orange wrote:
Corvara is blue heaven in Dolomites and my friend is currently staying at the sport hotel there this week and says it’s fabulous

Trysil - its enjoyable and some of the hotels are great, especially the ones ski star have now taken over. However ski school is painful via lifts. If you have a car, then throw skis and kids inside, drive the 500m up the road and park there. Ski school is now 10m away.

I’d also recommend looking at the chalets that are right next to ski school at the top of the mountain. Yes no pool or sauna but ski school is fall out of bed and you’re there.

Button lifts are a pain and people ski across them. The Norwegians are lovely though.

When I was in Trysil, albeit quite a few years ago now, staying at the Radisson Blue Ski school meet point was very close to the hotel boot room exit, via covered magic carpet lift. I don't know about the Hoyfjellserratt side.
You definitely woudn't want to schelp from one side to the other on a morning before lessons though, they are quite a way apart and it involves skiiing over the top of the mountain.

I personally don't have an issue with drag lifts, but I know some people don't like them. The Button lifts are very straightforward, just keep your legs shut, T-bars a tad trickier I guess, but you soon get used to them.

Both Italy and Norway will be way less busy than Alp DH in Feb. Norway will be cold, no slush problems when ever you go
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JbirdMara wrote:

Trysil Questions:
1. Any advantage of staying at Tourist Centre side over the Hoyfjellserratt side?
2. Ease of getting from (for example) The Radisson at Tourist side to the ski school meet up point on that side?
3. If stayed at the other side, how easy to get to the ski school meet up point there?
4. Should we be put off by all the drag lifts or are they barely an issue?

Essentially, i'm trying to work out how painful the mornings could be rolling eyes

If you stay in the wrong place and have morning lessons then it can be quite a hassle.

1. At the Tourist side there are more choices of faster uplifts into the main ski area, you are at the larger beginner area depending on yr levels and there are more restaurants there if eating out.

2. No chance of getting over for morning lessons without a car. They seem to start them just when the lifts open so can’t take lifts, you’ll need to take the ski bus or drive.

3. You’ll need to stay in the clump of flats right around the meet up area or drive up and see 2. Although the lift from the Skistar resort hotel (the old Radisson on that side) seemed to open a little earlier but not sure if that was usual.

4. Drags are there and are needed to get the best out of the area, some are long, you can stick to chairs but that will limit you. If you can’t deal with drags best to go somewhere else.

We really like the place, not busy, no loons flying around, Norwegians are very nice.

We’ve stayed both sides and I prefered the tourist side.

Any other queries, let me know otherwise best of luck.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JbirdMara, Trysil would be perfect for you & your kids. Your husband might find it a bit limited although there are a few more challenging/interesting slopes. Personally I wouldn't worry about drag lifts, they really aren't that difficult or uncomfortable, but others disagree.

I can't comment on the other resorts you mention, I haven't been to them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the input guys.
I’m thinking we’ll opt for Corvara/Colfosco this time but keep Norway up my sleeve for a future trip.
Will throw myself into the accommodation search now. Looks like a massive range of h/b and s/c options Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy