Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort advice for basic intermediates

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some very specific advice please for 2025. 4 guys 50 somethings looking for a blue run centric resort with a good snow record for 2025. Decent ski in ski out hotel with wellness / pool. A few decent bars a bonus and good on mountain food important. Would happily avoid school holidays. Can fly to most airports. We have been to Les Arcs, Selva Val Gardena and Saalbach. Would go back to Italy but not sure where else in Dolomites we might try if Dolomites recommended as want to avoid repeat visits if possible. All recommendations so gratefully received!
Thanks all!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not strictly ski-in ski-out but Courchevel 1650 sounds like it would work perfectly. Main lift (Ariondaz) walkable from pretty much anywhere in the town and most rental shops are near the escalator to the Ariondaz lift and most of them let you store your skis/boots there overnight so you can walk in normal shoes from your accommodation to the shop in the morning, and then a few metres to the lift - and can dump your stuff as soon as you finish skiing in the evening before heading to the bars (far superior to true ski-in/ski-out in my view). Can't speak to hotels with pools/spas, etc., but the Aquamotion centre is just a few escalators away. And C1650 is blessed with loads of great blues, and a fair few flattering reds.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks so much. Would you hazard a guess at the quietest weeks (in January perhaps ?)
Merci
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
timmythedog wrote:
Would you hazard a guess at the quietest weeks (in January perhaps ?)
Merci

We also try to go when it's quiet and have had success in recent years using the table published each year (link below) by somebody on here (@altis?). We look for weeks when all the kids are in school and go then!

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=167136
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Villa / hotel Gran Risa

Directly opposite the gondola

They added a new spa/indoor outdoor pool last season (adults only) and refurbished their bar area which is a very buzzy spot now for apres.

Few other bars in town - but for lively apres go to Moritzino at the top of the gondola (can download after!).

Gondola accesses Alta Badia area - blue heaven and lots of excellent mountain restaurants.

Alta Badia is an offshoot of the sella Ronda which gets you to lots of other skiing …

Great snow record.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks so much - we stayed at Sport Hotel Teresa down the road and loved it and may go back to Alta Badia - your recommendation is much appreciated!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am about to fly with a beginner adult snowboarder to Obertauern, will post more specific recommendations when I return.
The village is in a bowl surrounded by blue pistes.
Our hotel (Gloria) is reviewed to have a ski in ski out location and a small sauna.
If relevant, I will add my impressions once I am there
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks so much again. Was in both Wagrain and Nassfeld recently and heard good things about Obertauern too!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hotel Arkadia in Corvara. 2 gondolas/1 chair within 50 yds. Great pool on the roof.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hotel Cinderella in Obertauern, ski in/out, fantastic wellness and spa area and pools. Great food, breakfast buffet, afternoon "snack" (a small meal really) and dinner. A nice compact ski area. Village is quite small, it´s basically just some shops by the main road. Bar scene was quite good for such a small place, and also there were some VERY lively after ski bars on the mountain area.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@timmythedog, Snowheads Birthday Bash with loads of us. 1st week in Feb 2025.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GlasgowCyclops, I'd say Arabba is maybe better for advanced intermediates, viz Portavescovo side and the home runs?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep thanks - we think some of the gang might find Arabba a little steep in places but it is a fab spot!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
1. La Plagne
2. Serre Chevalier
3. Wengen
4. Crans Montana
5. Killington
snow report
Thanks. Loved La Plagne and could go back. Haven’t been to the others - appreciate it
ski holidays
Tignes Le Lac

Pretty ugly resort but very snow sure (and not as spenny as it's neighbour) straight up one lift to the most cruisy runs between Tignes & Val D'isere and down Daile that are good for intermediates, nice wide pistes. If you like putting in some distance you can make it all the way over to Val D'isere glacier as an intermediate too which is a fun day, save a couple of reds into Val D'isere (that you can avoid anyway with downloading gondola)

Never ate on the mountain but there's a good bar in one of the monolothic buildings, the marmot arms, and found good food around the town too.
Does have a spa, and also a Folie Douce up on the mountain if that's your thing.

A few hotels with spa / wellness here, or there's a little public spa near the lake.

Only thing is if you had too much snow there are no trees to run to for cover in a white out.
ski holidays
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. Was in Val so long ago can hardly remember- as for Tignes the lack of trees would be fun (not) in the wrong conditions. That’s what we like about Les Arcs - lots of trees when the weather turns iffy. So much to consider!
snow conditions
Belle Plagne
snow report
Thanks - yes we’ve been and loved it!
snow report
SnowMonkey69 wrote:
Hotel Arkadia in Corvara. 2 gondolas/1 chair within 50 yds. Great pool on the roof.

A great option - we are actually booked in here next Feb but was hesitant to openly recommend in case it turned out to be bad (unlikely I think).
I did visit in Jan for a look round and a drink in the bar and it looks lovely. Pricier than Grab Risa though.
latest report
Like the idea of Gran Risa - some nice runs and restaurants at Santa Croce
snow report
Obergurgl/hochgurgl have plenty of hotels with pools/spa.

Wengen mentioned above - it lacks in bar-hopping but again, quite a few hotels with pool and spa. Beausite recommended and pretty much ski to the door.

1650 in 3V as aforementioned or Hotel Le Mottaret in Meribel Mottaret.

At the pricier end - Lech or Courchevel 1850.
ski holidays
Thank you. We really enjoyed Hotel Riml in Obergurgl a few years back. Found resort a little limited but snow was good and Niederhutte fab!
ski holidays
drporat wrote:
I am about to fly with a beginner adult snowboarder to Obertauern, will post more specific recommendations when I return.
The village is in a bowl surrounded by blue pistes.
Our hotel (Gloria) is reviewed to have a ski in ski out location and a small sauna.
If relevant, I will add my impressions once I am there

We are here right now, excellent Austrian Apres Ski at Edelweiss above Obertauern and more places in town.
Good piste signage and easy to go above and around town in both directions (clockwise and anticlockwise).
It's a traditional Austrian ski resort .
Hardly any English speaking skiers, plenty of D and A car plates. Still everybody understands and speaks basic English in shops and restaurants.
An excellent resort for relative beginners curious to enjoy a Bavarian influenced Austrian ski resort with loud Austrian apres ski party (Edelweiss, will return each day) and night skiing twice a week.
ski holidays
Sounds good and cue envy from the working day here in Ireland. Enjoy !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy