Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech/Arlberg advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks

We are of to Lech on the 30th March for the first time and to make life a little easier would appreciate any advice from those before me on must dos' and avoids' (if any) in the village and ski area.

Thanks in advance

A
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Alan. Been to the region a few times (Lech, Oberlech, St Anton), most recently February this year in Lech.

What's the standard of the group? Do you intend to ski together? Any beginners?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PS where is your accommodation?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The only place I would avoid on future trips would be the Trittalpe, the food was overpriced, the place was rammed, full of punters milling round looking for tables and the service was terrible. On top of that the waiter who looked revolting with dozens of face piercings asked for a tip after the crap service. Needless to say he did not get a monetary tip.

Everywhere else was great.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for getting back

Family of 4 (all adults now) and intermediate skiers and usually stay together on easier reds/blues (mainly for Mrs R) but can tackle most runs if needed. Staying at the Hotel Bellevue in Lech and very much looking forward to what looks like a superb ski area.

Thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@alantherope, see and ask here
Snow conditions, restaurants and mountain huts etc. - search this season's answers
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=164688
Mooserwirt and KK should be closed by now for apres, I presume.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if you manage to go to St. Anton area, and you want somewhere to eat near the slopes
https://www.sennsationell.at/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alantherope, It will depend on the snow conditions, it is due to snow over the weekend but then back to spring. Piste wise the best run in the area (and one of the best anywhere) is Täli in Zürs accessed from the Muggengrat chair, its a red, the first short pitch is quite steep but then it is superb piste skiing with magnificent views. There is the Flexenhäusl restaurant hidden away near the end (booking recommended). You need to build up speed on the slope just above the restaurant for the run back to the centre of Zürs. The link back to Lech from Zürs is the well known ski route Madloch, accessed by the fairly new Madloch chair by Zürsersee (still can be queues but not as bad as in the past). In reality it is a red run (though perhaps steeper in parts than some), the most difficult sections are two short pitches towards the bottom but there are path diversions around them. The hamlet of Zug is very picturesque (good lunch options I believe). The main slope directly above the village gets very soft and cut up, less strong skiers might be better off finding an alternative (like the lift down from Oberlech). Warth has a number of nice pistes but keep an eye on time as it is an enormously expensive taxi ride home if you miss the last lift!

On sunny spring days the terraces at Oberlech are very pleasant & popular.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Coincidentally you are very close to where I stayed (Hinterwies) in Feb.

So:

Getting to the slopes:
Walk to the bottom of the Hinterwies drag, which is to the right and up the slope a bit from the Hinterwies hotel. From here you can either pole along to the right, or use the drag, then ski down to the chair lifts.

The slopes (Lech/Zurs):
The only watch out I'd say for your group (specifically Mrs R) are the blues above Lech. At end of day they were moguled and slushy, pretty steep for blue. The easier blues are under the Wiebermahd chair, 210/200 to Oberlech and 200 from the top of Kreigeralp. The reds and blues above Kreigerhorn (on the map) are all great. Warth-Schrocken area definitely worth exploring (take the gondola going the opposite way from bottom of Wiebermahd chair).

The ski to Zurs (Rufikopf gondola from town, do the aforementioned ski to Lech first), via drag and chair is excellent and well within the group's capability. Red and blue options. I found the blues on the other side (seekopf lift etc) of Zurs slightly steeper than Lech but still good. Some nice cruisey reds too. From here to get back the better/braver skiers can do the red unpisted run 173 to Lech or just get the bus.

Of course there is also the white ring ski all the way to St Anton. Three more lifts from Zurs then take the blues ending in 50 to SA. Could feasibly get there and back in a day at high speed but more likely arrive there for apres and bus back (bus stops at 7pm, 70 euro cab). SA/St Christoph is a whole other area to explore which demands its own review/tips tbh.

Apres etc:
We ate at Hus nr 8, Ambrosius, Tannbergerhoff and the hotel. (And SA). All good, ribs at Ambrosius excellent. Plenty of options really, just suggest to book early. Lech doesn't have the apres scene of SA but there are a few bars. Lechtaler stube (with the disco balls) by the Oberlech gondola was our go to before skiing across to the Hinterwies (pass under the Rud-Alpe then down the run alongside the drag).

Ski hire:
My partner used SportAlp, no issues. Intersport (bit cheaper), Strolz (pricier) are the other two main options it seems.

It is a superb area, hope the ski-gods bless you with great conditions!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thankyou all for your very useful comprehensive hints, and tips, much appreciated.. Obviously hoping for decent snow (for the time of year) as that helps. I don't think it will be any worse than the terrible conditions we had the late January in Morzine, and despite the ice and after lunch slush we still thoroughly enjoyed that trip Very Happy

Thanks again

A
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Without knowing the abilities of your wife, I would be a bit cautious about suggesting trips over to St Anton. The issue is that the main "blue" run down to the village, Steissbachtal, is closed due to avalanche concerns (it has been most of the season). This means the only option is a black run - Kandahar, which builds up big moguls and can get seriously overcrowded (see images on the Arlberg thread) not for the faint hearted. If you want to visit you might be better off taking a bus (they run regularly, every 30 mins morning & afternoon, hourly other times and cost a few Euros). The return to Lech is easier. Stuben is worth a visit some nice north facing longish reds, take the Flexenbahn from Zürs.

Snow conditions have been generally good on piste all season, there have been some wet & miserable days when the best option has been to stay at home. The odd day when the pistes were rain hardened into ice but those have gone. Snow depth on Galzig (St Anton) was around 3.5m, not huge by historical standards but much better than many recent seasons.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for that tip as we do plan to go over to St Anton for some PM Apre on a couple of days. If a tricky black is the only option open to get over we will definitely use the bus instead.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We’re off to Warth for Easter and plan to spend quite a bit of time in Lech. Useful information above about getting to St Anton. Quite a trek from Warth anyway, but may only head over there when skiing just with my son as I think the others will balk at a busy black run.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
munich_irish wrote:
Without knowing the abilities of your wife, I would be a bit cautious about suggesting trips over to St Anton. The issue is that the main "blue" run down to the village, Steissbachtal, is closed due to avalanche concerns (it has been most of the season). This means the only option is a black run - Kandahar, which builds up big moguls and can get seriously overcrowded (see images on the Arlberg thread) not for the faint hearted.

That must be carnage on a daily basis. I suppose there's the lift line bumps for anyone seeking to avoid.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One can download on the Galzig Bahn but then you miss out on the home run apre fun at the Moserwirt etc, my wife is a mediocre amateur, mid 60s with pacemaker and manages the black run no problem, so don't be put off unless very timid.
latest report
@alantherope, When in St.Anton be sure to book a taxi back to Lech (ca 75 euro) because you will not like to hike from the busstop on Lech mainstreet up to Bellevue on skiboots…
latest report
@7ncj, when in Warth always check the weather when planning to go to Lech and further.
The Auenfeldjet is often shut down with strong winds. And then your stuck because the road between Lech and Warth is closed in winter
latest report
Dont' bother going to StAnton. Poor piste skiing and poor standard of skiers and behaviour in general

Warth is good piste skiing and they never shut the link gondola during the day - despite the silly rumours above. If it's open in the moring it will be open the evening. They're not stupid
ski holidays
For those saying Kandahar is not that bad when Steissbachtal is closed

(from earlier this season courtesy of @Ulmerhutte)

It is fine if you are a reasonably competent skier it really isnt that difficult but stories abound of people coming down on their backside after being led there by ski instructors! Unfortunately only alternatives are Mattunjoch ski route (also now closed and much harder than Kandahar), Osthang ski route under Galzig lift which is a good deal more difficult though far less people, lift down from Galzig or bus from St Christof
ski holidays
Warth is well worth a visit, it’s generally quieter than Lech, much quieter than St Anton. Route grading there is odd, there are several black runs that don’t seem any harder than some of the St Anton blues. My wife is very much a blue/red skier but she’ll happily ski the Warth black runs.
ski holidays
@red 27, you clearly have no clue about the Auenfeldjet. Of course they close a lift when it is too dangerous. Seen it happening several times.
snow report
The fabulous terrain and great reputation of St Anton mean that it is so crowded that I don’t go there anymore. Plenty of fun to be had in Lech and Zurs without having to dodge people all day. That photo above shows common conditions.
snow conditions
@red 27, I choose to assume you were plain lucky.
During the last years I skied the domain several times, January of March.
Twice it was stopped around lunch time due to strong winds. Different years.
@munich_irish, many fools still used blue 55 to return although it was closed due to avalanche risks.
Kandahar is a wide piste so plenty of room if one is careful but downloading makes good sense for everyone not happy on a mogulled crowded chopped and slushy black piste in the afternoon.
(I don't believe I sell that experience too well) NehNeh
latest report
@red 27, wrong, as @Langerzug, says above they close it when conditions deteriorate, we’ve been a few times when it’s been closed and couldn’t get across.
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
@7ncj, when in Warth always check the weather when planning to go to Lech and further.
The Auenfeldjet is often shut down with strong winds. And then your stuck because the road between Lech and Warth is closed in winter

@langerzug thanks, will do. Heard that can cause challenges. We will have our car and my wife isn’t planning on skiing, or certainly not other than in Warth, so worst case the rest of us may need rescuing (yep, I know it’s a LONG way to drive around so will create a huge brownie point deficit).
snow report
For days with poor visibility the runs to and from the Korbersee area in Warth/Schrocken are quiet and have plenty trees. The little lake is pretty and the hotel at the lake is a good lunch stop. Big self-service restaurant at the bottom of the Salober-jet chair is my usual first stop for a quick coffee and maybe a bit of cake after the trip over from Lech.
snow conditions
I liked Warth, as a lot of people here have said similar, was super quiet and did not get skied out when we went, but yea maybe check the weather is good so you can get back
Also I liked Zurs, Seekopf side we had some very easy 'off-piste' there between run 17, nothing super steep but fun if you wanted a dabble and conditions are good enough.

St Anton the pistes we found always got skied out pretty quick and is very crowded, but... I would visit just to do the apres run down, lots of bars along piste 1
You can go over on gondola from Zurs (maybe ski in zurs for morning) then it's just a lift up and a few km's run down 4 and 1. Last bus back to lech is 7 maybe?
There was a good bar called The Underground just off that piste (where it had live keyboardist) but... i just looked it up and maybe is closed permanently now Crying or Very sad
latest report
I learned from the Arlberg forum that The Underground is now a posh hotel.
I am checking if Mooserwirt and Krazy K are still open those days, end of season etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy