Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3rd time lucky?

Poster: A snowHead
46 year old here. I skied for the very first time in Zermatt in 2022. Loved everything about Zermatt - the mountains, the views, the food, the winter walking, the apres.........apart from the skiing. I had a week of one to one lessons every morning and really didn't enjoy it much. I struggled with nerves and found myself feeling anxious a lot of the time. I felt that my progress was slow and I was constantly scared of hurting myself. By mid week I could snow plough turn down a blue slope but didn't really get much better than that. It didn't help that the instructor was grumpy and impatient and his English wasn't great, so communication was tricky.

Last winter I decided to try again with family in Val D'Isere. Again I loved being in the mountains and researched an English speaking instructor who was really patient, but again I found myself really struggling with nerves. Some days I'd be OK but then would find myself suddenly being struck by terror. We had quite poor conditions some days which didn't help, but by the end of the week I was JUST ABOUT parallel skiing on a slow blue slope (very slowly and cautiously).

This Easter we are going back to Zermatt. I assumed I'd forget about skiing and just enjoy the winter hiking and being in the mountains, but part of me is thinking I should give the skiing one more try. I guess the goal would be that it might 'click' this time and I could get to a point where I'm comfortable cruising down easy slopes on my own. I have no desire to show off or ski at high speed. I could do private lessons with an English speaking instructor for the 4 mornings, but I'm not sure if I'm just wasting my time (and money).

Does anyone else who learned to ski as an adult have any advice or insights here? For what it's worth I'm physically fit and enjoy exercise at home, but am probably prone to be more anxious than others.

Many thank in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm really torn about how to answer this!
In general, I'd say that you've given it two good goes and, as an adult, you are probably not going to suddenly change your mind about it. Not everyone gets on with skiing and I think most that do, enjoy it really quickly.
But.... you enjoy exercise and you seem to love being in the mountains. Can't help thinking that even if the skiing never becomes a source of joy, being able to get around the mountains and meet friends and family for nice lunches in beautiful places could be really nice.
Given you've been going to Zermatt and Vd'I I suspect the cost of the lessons is not too big a problem...
I'd give it another crack. Maybe tell the instructor that your objective is to have fun and feel secure?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd agree with @jedster. But I think you need to avoid putting yourself under pressure and if that means accepting that skiing isn't for you, so be it. Lots of people who go to places like Zermatt don't ski and you've given it a fair shot, with lots of private lessons.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Possibly if you do try again, given you are doing winter hiking might it be worth investigating if you can find an instructor who also does snowshoeing or guided trekking, cycling etc?

Most of the instructors do lots of activities (ski season isn't long enough), so a private instructor/ski school may be perfectly happy to do this (potentially a break for them as well!).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Think about giving it another go but stay in your comfort zone as far as your choice of runs goes. My advice is that when you find a run that you feel comfortable on repeat it lots of times. That way you can build confidence without constantly upping the difficulty.

Explain this to your instructor in advance. Ignore any pressure to go on more difficult slopes and take your time.

You have some natural ability if you are parallel after two difficult weeks so don't be hard on yourself, you sound like you are doing pretty well!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 21-03-24 19:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
LonSW wrote:
It didn't help that the instructor was grumpy and impatient and his English wasn't great, so communication was tricky.
Some days I'd be OK but then would find myself suddenly being struck by terror. We had quite poor conditions some days which didn't help, but by the end of the week I was JUST ABOUT parallel skiing on a slow blue slope (very slowly and cautiously).
Does anyone else who learned to ski as an adult have any advice or insights here? For what it's worth I'm physically fit and enjoy exercise at home, but am probably prone to be more anxious than others.

I learned to ski as an adult, and have taught many adults to ski, so I'd pick up on those two factors as the reason you're now so nervous.

First experiences are key, and a bad instructor can build a very real obstacle in a nervous student. Then having poor conditions doesn't help.
BUT
You're getting there. Slowly, for sure, but you will make it.

Take it slowly, don't give yourself objectives, celebrate small victories. Once you find a run that you're starting to feel confident on do it again, and again, and again. Don't try to move on to something more difficult until you're comfortable doing that one, then take the next step and repeat the slow, confidence building, repetitive approach.

Try to find a good, older, native-English speaking instructor again - there are several British ski schools in Zermatt, so shop around, talk to them in advance to try to find one who will have the experience, patience and communication skills you need.

Don't give up hope - my wife and I have both helped people in a similar situation to yourself, so we know it's possible. It's also incredibly rewarding, as an instructor, so don't be afraid that you'll be boring them - quite the opposite, you will represent a challenge that any keen instructor should relish.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're anxious and don't already love it, then I'd be inclined to say leave it be and enjoy the mountains for what they are....but the fact you're being lured back in suggests that you really do love the idea of skiing, and possibly will always feel that you're missing out if you're in the mountains and not skiing.

Ideally you want to not worry about injuring yourself and that will probably help you relax into the ability you obviously have, but I know that anxiety doesn't work like that. I think others are right that a focussed lesson where the instructor knows that you're anxious. I think Steve Angus in Val d'Isere would be good for that, but don't know anyone in Zermatt.

If it's any help, my old man first went skiing around the time he turned 65 (I can never remember if it was before or after) on the now defunct Make Yourself A Snowhead Bash, which was aimed mainly at beginners. He didn't initially like it and really struggled to get to grips with even snowplough on a quiet blue (although it was fairly steep), but he enjoyed the camaraderie of being in a group so went again the next year, then joined another bash, then some of my trips etc. etc. He maintained for a long time that he didn't particularly enjoy the skiing, but 9 years later he's now doing 2 or 3 trips every season.

As a complete curve ball, have you thought about trying snowboarding? It looks pretty easy to me, and statistically you'll be 50% cooler.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LonSW, Not quite the same as I've been skiing since I was a kid but I had a week (7yrs ago) in Sauze where I was a mental wreck . . .looking back it was obvious as I'd just started my own business at a sticky period in life so I had a lot going through my mind and the 'normal' release skiing brings simply wasn't there . . .It wasn't that I'd forgotten to ski - I was simply really nervous (primarily in busy bottleneck areas) and rather than just going for it I skied defensively for an entire week and gave up early on several days as I simply wasn't enjoying it.

Amateur psychology aside, I think mindset especially in sport is massive, especially confidence being linked to performance. Maybe analyse exactly what your fears are in the first place and then do what you can to either negate or side step them in the first instance - eg. if its fear of other people/skiers then choose a quieter resort. . . If its fear of speed then maybe get on a push bike and hammer down a hill. . .If its fear of heights / assuming every run has a cliff adjacent stick with treelined runs / wide rolling runs etc etc. If it gets that bad and you still cannot handle your fears - there's no shame in retiring to the bar and having another go the next day snowHead

If you're physically fit and love the mountains then your more than half way there and are probably in a better place to develop than your average but more confident perma-intermediate!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@LonSW, Welcome to Snowheads.

Have you thought about having a group lesson?
a) its cheaper
b) it can be less intimidating as there are a few of you trying to get the hang of it.
c) it can be quite a social occasion where you can make new friends.
d) ski lessons are not all about, becoming ski aces.

I hope you have a great time anyway... we all get nervous when we are looking into the unknown, there is no shame in it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@LonSW, I know it is a bit late, with Easter fast approaching, but have you considered lessons on an indoor slope? Weather is clearly a constant and snow conditions don’t usually change that much. Plus English mother tongue instruction. Some of the stress may be removed as there are clearly no natural hazards or consequent fears. If you can hone your skills a bit it could well stand you in good stead when you go to the mountains. The inside of a fridge is clearly not a patch on Z’t or VDI but might make it easier to concentrate.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Group lessons don't work if you are so nervous. In this sort of case I work on 3C's, Confidence, Competence and Control. They have to stay in balance for you to feel comfortable, usually people in the situation the OP describes have Competence and Control in spades but lack Confidence. In this instance only quality mileage on slopes they are comfortable on can then allow them to build Confidence. Once they have that Confidence then push a little at the Control aspect by going a little faster ( I believe the acceleration when you turn downhill scares learners more than the actual speed, if you are going faster when you start a turn on a given gradient you don't accelerate as much so don't get thrown backwards). Once you have increased the speed a little wait for the Control and Confidence to come back then repeat the process.
Usually an instructor will know where all of the steeper and easier sections of each slope are so can introduce slightly steeper terrain and can then start to introduce either the start or the end of a turn on a slightly steeper pitch without the client noticing. Another thing you can do if you have suitable terrain is just to go a little faster in a straight line when there is a natural runout to the lift by varying where you finish the last full turn.
All of this takes a lot of time and a patient instructor who understands your needs and is willing to work with you to achieve your aims. Many instructors, particularly younger ones struggle with dealing with this sort of client because they base progress on the slopes they have skied rather than the invisible progress in the client's head.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And, @LonSW, if all this starts to ramp up your anxiety, just go and have a relaxed holiday in beautiful surroundings and give the skiing a miss!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You don’t say if you’re male or female but if you’re the latter, I would highly recommend a Ski Goddess course at the appropriate level. They are great for boosting confidence and learning in a supportive and fun environment. All the instructors are female, level 4 qualified and absolutely fantastic.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think you are putting yourself under too much pressure to learn perfect parallel turns too quickly. I’d go to snowdome sessions in advance if possible and group lessons in resort supplemented by a few private afternoon sessions. Pick a beginner oriented resort and one that has lots of wide gentle runs. Don’t think about piste colour but more about learning techniques to get you out of trouble on any slope like side slipping. The same piste can be very different to ski depending on weather conditions.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My first ski experience as an adult was at Zermatt (Sonnega blue piste) and I was awful, kept crashing at the same turn and suffered from knee pains due to poor technique on that first miserable day.
It was almost 40 years after limited childhood skiing and I was that bad that I only had 2 options: to quit skiing and feel unfit for fast winter sports or to go skiing again and again until I can finally complete a blue piste without falling more than once.
It was about 7 years ago, I chose easier and beginner friendly resorts not like the ones you mentioned.
Had a few private lessons with sharp and patient English instructors who helped me keep a better balance and posture hence enjoy turning and controlling my speed.
Eventually it allowed me to reach much better skills and a high confidence level on any given piste in almost any condition but deep unbashed snow, on which I am still working.
So I am sure that since you feel the urge, you will soon succeed to enjoy yourself on the slopes.
Easter in Les Arcs 2000 will help you immensely, also consider the PSB with tuition and the BB for leisure skiing in the best ever panorama for extra motivation.
Best of luck!
latest report
I went skiing for the first time at age 35. I did a group lesson, was put in the very bottom group of the beginners, and by the end of the week could do stiff, nervous snowplough turns on the easiest slopes in the resort. I tried out a couple of the "proper" blue runs, but they were a bit much.

The next year I again did group lessons, and by the end of the week I was just about managing a few parallel turns on blue runs.

I did group lessons again in my third year. I was delayed in the ski hire shop, missed the assessment they do to put you in groups of similar ability, and got put in the "late group". This turned out to be skiers who were all a bit better than me, but it was the best thing that could have happened. Parallel skiing was assumed, and we were put to work doing drills that I now know were aimed at introducing us to some carved turns. Towards the end of the week we were sent down a black run. Whether it was being pushed beyond my comfort zone, or just a case of something clicking because it was my third week, skiing all of a sudden felt natural and not something I was scared of.

From what you describe, I don't think I was ever as nervous about it as you (although I was pretty nervous at first!), but in terms of what you can do - snowplough turns after one week, parallel turns after two - that sounds to me like pretty good progress, and everything being on an upwards curve.

As others have said, if you really don't enjoy it then that's fine. I sometimes wonder whether I actually like the skiing or just being in the mountains, but either way I love skiing holidays. But I think if I were you, I would give it at least one more try. Don't put yourself under any pressure. Don't think you must get better - you probably will, but if you're the same ability by the end of the week but more comfortable doing what you're doing, that's progress too. If you can pootle around a resort sticking to blue runs only, what's not to like?
latest report
Wow thank you so much everyone for your responses, which have been extremely helpful. I think it's right, as some of you have said, that I am being drawn back to skiing and it is something I want to do, so I am going to give it another go. I've booked 4 days of morning lessons with an English ski school, who sent a very reassuring message about pairing me with someone patient. Zermatt is probably not the ideal place for beginners and even the slow slope at Sunnega isn't that easy (a couple of narrow and steeper sections), but it has spectacular views, isn't too busy, and is somewhere I think I'll feel OK about repeating again and again until I'm more confident.

The part I missed out in my skiing history was a day at the Snow Centre in preparation for my first trip to Zermatt. It was a chaotic experience to say the least. Very very busy, someone crashed into me and I also hit my head on the pull bar when the person in front of me couldn't get off in time. Probably explains some of the nerves now I think about it!

I actually sent my Val D instructor a message last night asking him to tell me honestly whether he thought I could progress further and he messaged this morning to say I absolutely can and I'm being tough on myself about speed of progress.

I'll let you know how I get on!!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 22-03-24 11:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@LonSW, snowHead
ski holidays
do not skiing, but startet also as an Adult (30 y old at 2005 i think) snowboarding and for the first almost 10 years was more self teached...(i hope you unterstand what i mean, sorry for the language). Except of a couple of private courses (4-5 hours in total?) didnt took any other course, and tried to learn from these courses and youtube.
However i managed to achieve a good level, and at almost 40y old i succeed and got the Level 1 Instructor Licence in Germany.
So , i will say go for it.

About the injuries, yes there is a possibility, and that makes you anxious (me also) but you are in a ski-snowboard forum, you read about injuries and you think "o my god....so many?" It is not so many. It seems so because they write about them. No one will write "i went skiing, and came back without injuries"....
If you go in a MTB Forum you will see something similar. In a Football Forum also....Judo, Karate, Bouldern...

Btw i broke my arm (humerus) and shoulder head (in 3 pieces) going out from the bathroom with wet feet in order to answer the phone...
snow conditions
Great stuff @LonSW, let us know how you get on. Learning as an adult is not easy, I learned mid 30s and was a nervous red run skier, had another baby and then basically had to start over again from being anxious on blue runs. I nearly gave up at that point but so glad I didn’t. I did exactly what you are doing — private lessons, focusing on the stuff I could do, repeat visiting the same resort (where I’d found an instructor I really clicked with) plus little top ups out of season at Hemel Hempstead (groups or Inside Out lessons) and as I said above I found stealing away from the family trip to work on my skiing in my own time really helped as well. Good luck and do report back how you get on.
snow conditions
I promised to report back. We probably picked the worst possible few days weather wise, with most of the slopes shut for several days due to high winds. This meant that everyone who wanted to ski was concentrated in a very small area. Long queues for lifts and frustrated advanced skiers flying past very close on the 'slow' slopes.

BUT I had a fantastic instructor who managed to explain what I needed to do in a way that made sense to me. By the end of the first morning i had parallel skied all the way down from Sunnegga to Eja in Findeln, which to me felt like a massive achievement. I still had moments of fear, but at least felt I had the ability to push through them and not panic. I definitely enjoyed it more than I have before. Do I see myself racing down black runs any time soon? No, but I will definitely be skiing again.
ski holidays
@LonSW, Good for you giving it another go and glad that you had a better time, despite conditions. I'd ignore piste grading if I were you, just stick to what gives you most enjoyment.

I've been skiing for 10 years and will throw myself at any run in a resort (not always proficiently), I will still often plump for a cruisey blue run, because I enjoy pootling about. I still work on technique, because ultimately it makes me more comfortable on whatever I need to ski, but we're in the mountains for fun, which I think a lot of people forget at times....although ofncourse people have their fun in different ways, some love running drills or throwing themselves down the steepest runs.
latest report
@LonSW, Good stuff, we knew you could do it snowHead
ski holidays
@LonSW, well done for sticking with it and hope you have now caught the bug. As @SnoodyMcFlude says don't take so much notice of piste gradings as they are variable to say the least. Far more important is snow conditions on the day.
snow report
@LonSW, good to hear you have joined the train Wink

TBH, it sounds like you have set yourself a very high bar. I know that Zermatt has wonderful views and is a quaint(ish) place to stay but it's a really intimidating area to learn to ski. Not much easy ground and lots of competent skiers zipping about.

IMV, you'd be better suited to somewhere smaller with mostly easy grades. I keep banging on about Albiez-Montrond without much success but I think you'd really enjoy the place. It's pretty, if not as grand as Zermatt, and you can cover most of the resort on easy pistes. This puts off anyone who wants to cover lots of ground so you won't find anybody hooning about. It's one of our favourite places.

There is an ESF school there. I haven't enquired whether anyone speaks good English but I'd be surprised if there wasn't someone - even if the place doesn't attract many English skiers.

https://www.station-albiez.com/en/
snow report
@LonSW, well done. Stick at it.

@altis, bit late when the OP is reporting back after the trip.
ski holidays
@LonSW,
Great news! Well done! Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

No, but I will definitely be skiing again.

Well done! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

bit late when the OP is reporting back after the trip

No it's not, @adithorp, because she plans to go skiing again! snowHead
snow report
Indeed am planning next year already. Thinking of late Jan as we prefer cold and snowy. I know Zermatt is unique, but in terms of a snowy, pretty village and easier progression, but also some nice restaurants and a bit of a vibe to the place, where should our next destination be? Lech looks like an obvious choice for some easier progression than Zermatt? Otherwise the Dolomites?
latest report
@LonSW,

Well done on sticking with it. Your progress seems fine to me. The initial stages of learning to ski can be challenging, and probably more scary as an adult, but I think it generally becomes easier from the point you have already reached.

My wife started skiing aged 34 and has just completed her 4th week in her early 40s. She was very sporty when younger but skiing can still make her feel nervous and anxious, particularly at the start of the week. She can ski easier red slopes, albeit slowly, but prefers to avoid them because they make her anxious about acceleration/control. These feelings are perfectly natural at this level but diminish over time as one becomes a better skier.

I went to Lech nine years ago and enjoyed it, but I enjoy all skiing trips. I think we ate in the hotel (Jagdhaus Monzabon) almost every night so I can't comment on the local restaurants. Lech might be a decent option for you now and Zermatt is worth returning to when your skills improve.
snow conditions
LonSW wrote:
Indeed am planning next year already. Thinking of late Jan as we prefer cold and snowy. I know Zermatt is unique, but in terms of a snowy, pretty village and easier progression, but also some nice restaurants and a bit of a vibe to the place, where should our next destination be? Lech looks like an obvious choice for some easier progression than Zermatt? Otherwise the Dolomites?

I love Zermatt so I’m biased but, if you want the Z experience a bit cheaper and with more ‘motorway style’ red pistes then Cervinia, which is connected to Zermatt at the top, is perfect.

Don’t know which ski school/coach you used but PM me if you want some recommendations; I know some really excellent coaches there who even managed to get my non-sporting, zero balance and extremely fearful neighbour (long story as to why he was there, don’t ask) skiing down from Sunnegga to Findeln after three days.

My partner was late thirties when we met and had never skied. We went four times in the first full season we were together and, unfortunately, she broke her tibial plateau on our last trip to Zermatt at Easter that year. Despite all that, she’s now a strong upper intermediate and loves skiing and the whole ski holiday vibe. So, all I can say is stick with it and enjoy it … it’s really worth it.
latest report
I’m now thinking of Corvara for late January. Lots of easy skiing and looks like it has a lovely setting and atmosphere.
latest report
Corvara is fantastic and the skiing at Alta Badia is amazing for beginners and intermediates. The last week in January will see around 150 Snowheads staying in Alleghe for the Pre-Birthday Bash..... The buttons haven't gone up yet but you can find details of the last bash in the Snow Events section!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy