Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stubai Glacier hotels, Alpensporthotel Mutterberg vs Dresdner Hütte

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering staying at the Stubai Glacier next season (24/25) for either Christmas week, new year week or half term.

It would be me (decent all mountain skier) and my 11 year old son (early intermediate) skiing plus my non skiing wife (she would not be there if I went at half term).

I have skied the Stubai glacier recently and I consider the ski area to be really suitable for us unless weather is really bad.

I was thinking of booking either the Alpensporthotel Mutterberg or the Dresdner Hütte. I'm also considering booking the hotel for the week and having a night at the Dresdner Hütte for the experience.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 19-03-24 11:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the time you want to book, you have to consider that the weather could be nice or really really bad
Generally speaking i found the Stubai Glacier a little bit "lazy" comparing with other glaciers.
They do not hestitate to cloose the wall area except from the 3S Gondola, in order to avoid the refunds, even if other glaciers offer more slopes lifts etc

My opinion : book in the hotel, so in case of really windy weather you will have the option to go to Schlick2000 (is lower and maybe more slopes open)
And maybe a night in the Hütte fpr the experience (if it is possible in this period)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@turms2, Thanks, yes weather was my biggest concern. We could get a 1 week Innsbruck city pass and could go down the valley to whatever was open. I quite liked Schlick2000 when I went there in Jan (on a day that Stubai was closed for wind) it had a relaxed 90s feeling for some reason.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stay in the valley, lots of nice hotels in Neustift which then allows you to ski either the glacier or the schlick depending on the weather.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Henwc, I have stayed in the Dresdner Hut in summer as part of a hut to hut walk around the Stubai. It is much bigger than most huts as it functions as a restaurant for visitors to the glacier area. Not my favourite hut as too busy and too big. The accommodation is typical hut dormitories either Matrazenlager (big matresses) or rooms with bunk beds (bring your own sheet sleeping bag), all shared facilities and all mixed. This might not appeal to your partner unless she is into to hiking / mountaineering! You will get the experience of being up in the mountains at night, which can be magical at times and interesting in a storm but not really a comfortable experience better than a tent though!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
munich_irish wrote:
@Henwc, I have stayed in the Dresdner Hut in summer as part of a hut to hut walk around the Stubai. It is much bigger than most huts as it functions as a restaurant for visitors to the glacier area. Not my favourite hut as too busy and too big. The accommodation is typical hut dormitories either Matrazenlager (big matresses) or rooms with bunk beds (bring your own sheet sleeping bag), all shared facilities and all mixed. This might not appeal to your partner unless she is into to hiking / mountaineering! You will get the experience of being up in the mountains at night, which can be magical at times and interesting in a storm but not really a comfortable experience better than a tent though!
Thanks, elements of it sound really good but probably not one for my OH.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Re using this thread rather than posting a new one. I have checked out the Dresdner Hütte in a bit more detail and they do have twin rooms which suits me. The main downside I have is what happens if I have accommodation booked but the lifts close due to a storm? I'm I stranded? If so is this a big risk or am I over thinking?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Henwc, I would say it's a reasonable risk. Stubai closes completely a few days every season, and the road can be closed as well when the avi risk is high. Dresdnerhütte is slightly uphill from the mid-station, so the only way in is on the lift afaik. There is a black ski route down, but that won't be open in a storm, and if the road is closed then there won't be a bus to catch either.

Personally, I would stay in Innsbruck, Neustift or Fulpmes, depending on your requirements, and then you at least have other options if it's stormy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, Thanks, I might book the Dresdnerhütte as for a night in addition to my other accommodation so that I'm covered in case of storm. In theory I could book the Innsbruck Ibis with 24 hour cancelation and decide close to the time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy