Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SUMMER TRIP

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am planning a trip for 10 adults as a mature stag.
Am thinking canyoning, via ferrata, rafting. Want a town that has something going on but doesn’t have to be wild. Close ish transfer to airport. Any suggestions/experience?
Is in first week June, 3 day trip

Anyone experience of staying nice chalet with pool/games room to help entertain large group?

Any help as always always appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try arc adventures in bourg St maurice and perhaps add mountain biking and parapoint to the list. Stay at the basecamp

And if the weather is bad, the cheese factory
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mayrhofen? Early June is fairly quiet around the Alps, the busiest place will be Chamonix though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had my stag in Meribel 23 years ago , the great thing was no one could go missing such as somewhere like Amsterdam stayed in a friends chalet , we went white water rafting , mountain biking and some played golf . It’s a great idea all enjoyed it . Mozine might fit the bill .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zermatt.

Climb the Matterhorn (with a guide).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Morzine has Canyoning at Nyon and rafting on the Dranse, have done both a few years ago on an alpine elements trip but i think they used a local provider (of which there are many.) There is also a ton of MTB, from XC on the trail by the river up to pretty serious DH. Plenty of hiking too of varying grades and I think some via ferrata. Town itself has plenty of bars and restaurants and always seems to have a decent buzz.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@St_johnse, Thinking about it if it’s June only a all year round resort like Morzine or Chamonix will be workable
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone so far, GREAT intel!
Morzine and chamonix sounds like may tick the boxes
Anyone any idea re if any buzz/nightlife at all in either in June??
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BSM is a good shout, most alpine villages are very quiet in early Jun, so you need a town with life like Bourg/Cham. There is a Snowhead who owns a brewery in Bourg as well!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't call Morzine year round. We were there for a night on 2nd June 2022 and the town was virtually dead bar a couple of open restaurants.

We then went from there for a long weekend in St Gervais, followed by a 4 nights in Chamonix and then 5 nights in Les Arcs.

Chamonix was reasonably busy considering it was early summer, St Gervais had a decent amount going on also. Les Arcs was dead, and we often drove down to BSM and it wasn't exactly busy, but enough was open and going on.

If you want much of a nightlife, Chamonix would be your best bet.

I don't know how Mayrhofen looks start of June as we've not lived here at that time yet, but all those activities you're after are here. Including a via ferrata on the edge of town up to a restaurant that over looks the town.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@St_johnse, in June there is often residual snow in some north-facing spots which mean the mountain biking (main summer activity in Morzine) and hiking seasons haven't really got going. As @swskier says, Chamonix is the obvious option being a town with a significant and international population, and a base for the sort of hard-core alpinist who isn't put off by a bit of early season snow. And meets the criterium of being a short transfer from Geneva airport (one and a half hours max).

But you would probably want to check first with the relevant activity-providers that things are running then. There certainly is white water rafting along the Arve river, and there are via ferrata available (I don't know but assume they exist close to Chamonix, but in any case a short drive away there is a beginner via ferrata in Passy and moderate to difficult ones in St Gervais). Don't know about canyoning. Parascending is another activity with a lot of providers in the area. And I think I am right in remembering the Aiguille de Midi cable car (spectacular on a clear day) runs year round.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The bike parks around Morzine open the last weekend in June (i know as I'm going over for the Passportes du Soleil event that weekend,) it's deffo quieter in early June but starts to ramp up in the couple of weeks running up. I'm not sure about nightlife per se as going out late partying isn't really my bag, however I am partial to a few beers after a day of riding and can recommend the Bec Jaune microbrewery. There are a number of bars on the Route de la Combe à Zore which were all bustling and the Rhodos bar which has a bit more of a Brits abroady vibe but does a good burger. Food at La Grange was good and leans more towards traditional cuisine.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We stay in Bourg St Maurice every summer so totally recommend. You could get 2 x chalet log cabins side by side at https://europe.huttopia.com/en/site/bourg-st-maurice/ which is pretty close to the supermarkets (short walk) and a stroll to the funicular which would get you up into Les Arcs. Lots of mountain activities there. In Bourg we use https://terrederaft.com/ for white water activities but they offer other river adventures and not just rafting.

Town is lovely and there's a fab French restaurant called Le Chalet that's out of the main town. It's all very much walkable.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One of the most exciting rafting trips we had was in June. The river had only just opened for rafting and was in full spate with all the melt water coming down. It was the quickest we have ever been down.

Thinking about it as the OP is planning a trip in early June and the lifts will not be open so mountain biking might be much more enegetic than planned with cycling uphill, but electric VTTs will take some of the effort out of it. The tracks may be marked up by then, but I'm not sure. There will still be a lot of snow about so I'd contact the activity providers such as Arc Adventures in advance and see what they can offer. IIRC most of the sports shops will rent out via ferrata kit, but you still have the problem of getting to the climb (I'd reccomend bettieres, https://en.peisey-vallandry.com/via-ferrata-les-bettieres.html if you haven't done it before)

One advantage of Bourg st Maurice is that transfers are fairly easy out of season in that you can simply catch the train from Geneva (or even Paris)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks so much for all this. People even suggesting accommodation, so kind on this forum!
Sounds like between chamonix and BSM. Never heard of BSM before this forum, are people recommending it as think more going on there or because they think the activities will be better?
ski holidays
@St_johnse, Chamonix will have a lot more going on than BSM for sure, especially at that time of early June.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy