Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Damage at the tail

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There's a noticeable chip on the top sheet at the tip of the tail of my mantra M5. I have no idea how that happened. I have been careful not to ski over any rocks so I suspect I must have caused the damage while carrying my skis between the chalet and the slope. I did vaguely remember the tip of the tail hit some metal pipe while I was carrying the skis over my shoulder...

My question is if it's serious or if it's more like a cosmetic damage? If it's anything other than cosmetic I presume I'll need to get a shop to fix it as it's not something I can fix it myself easily?

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cosmetic? Worst case epoxy over?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mainly cosmetic but seal with epoxy to prevent moisture ingress which could lead to delamination.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Standard on this ski, don't worry, clean her up, fill her in, the ski will last longer than the entire combined age of all of us on here.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you all - I finally got round to having another look at this. Out of curiosity, how do I epoxy over it? That part of the topsheet is gone so there's nothing to stick to it? Are you suggesting I should apply epoxy to fill up that area and let it dry?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Those skis are dead. Post them to me for safe disposal....

Yeah build a little tape dam round the edge of the ski and glop the epoxy on. You're only trying to seal things up. File it down after it sets if that sort of thing bothers you.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@freethemind,

scratch the damaged area with an awl or even a nail ot knife tip to create a little bit of a key

clean everything properly with a bit of rubbign alcohol to get any dust grease etc etc out of the damage

put some tape on the top surface around the chip. put another piece of tape on the edge of the ski to act as a dam and stop the glue going everywhere

flexible epoxy, if you want to be really neat then you could add some pigment powder of a similar colour to the top surface

only use a little glue, enough to just fill the area

leave to set, if it says 24 hours leave it at least this

gently file the repair down to match the rest of the top surface, using a file, fine sandpaper etc
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you all will have a go at it this long weekend!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@freethemind, ah....the Mantra tail chip...as CH20 it's standard battle scarring on the Mantra. My Mantra tails are variously ragged - but I do exactly what CEM says to smarten them up every now and again - and it works perfectly, the repair is usually permanent. And then another chip appears in another place - it's a Mantra.

As to cause....

Concrete surface
Over-enthusiatic people in lift Q
Metal lip getting into cable car
Any sort of step
etc
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy