Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Boots for Walking with Skis - it's got complicated recently!

Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering if any of the All-Terrain peeps could give me a steer on the types of boot categories now available.

I've currently got a pair of Scarpa Maestrale RS boots which have served me well over the last 8 years. At the time they were touted as decent enough boots for the "up" that were capable of handling fatter skis on the "down"; my main skis were 191cm x 112mm. After getting used to them I ditched my other boots and used them as my everyday boots and used them for everything from powder to bumps to piste and set up my piste skis to use pin bindings. If i had a complaint I'd say they were a bit soft; if I feel I need a bit more support/control I really tend to tighten the buckles as much as I can which does stiffen them up, but also hurts my feet by the end of the day.

My skis have since shrunk to 184cm x 108mm (big help with kick turns) and my mates don't seem as keen on the walking bit as they used to be. We still do a bit of touring, but it tends to be much less "up" and more "down" and we sometimes even use chairlifts to cheat a bit first!

I'm now wondering if a pair of more modern, slightly stiffer boots, might benefit me.

I've watched the video on YouTube by Dave Searle to try and get a grip on what's on offer; but I'm still not sure what "category" I should be looking at. For example, would there be any point in changing the current boots for, say, some slightly stiffer G-Zero's or should I be perhaps looking at the heavier hybrid types?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought these the other weekend:

https://www.atomic.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/hawx-ultra-xtd-130-boa-gw-ae0001888.html#color=36116

I'm currently at a stage where I don't do much touring, but I want to do more, but I also wanted a boot that I could ski hard in on piste/side piste when there's been a good dump of snow.

If/when I get more in to touring i'll go down the lighter route (and with skis) but for now I was more interested in the downhill.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mosha Marc, how about the brand new Dynafit Hoji’s I’ve for sale? If they fit a great buy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mosha Marc, Good news is you're transitioning from the worst boot on the market, IMO, so anything else will be a step in the right direction. The current "Category" list we put together with Wavey Davey is due for an update, as the weights are simply getting too close. Next year we feel it can be simplified further, Race, All Mountain, Freeride (so pleased to be able to recycle this term!) Free touring, and the nonsense catagory which is Ski Mo, the term skiing should be removed from the name as it simply is not skiing. What's interesting is that the Race category, are simply the only boots now that actually ski better than the freeride category. All mountain, (commercial alpine boots) simply have versions with walk modes, "freeride" that for an extra few dollars ski as well, why you'd buy them is beyond me, unless to save a few quid, and in most cases, the top of the range versions, like the Lange Shadow 140 are 150 dollars more expensive than a race shell, it's utter nonsense. So it's binding compatability, race boots work with grip walk, but grip walk not with alpine bindings, so you simply drop into "Freeride". Free touring will be lighter and have no gripwalk compatability and won't really drive a "fullcore" ski, and need MNC, or touring bindings. The other stuff can rot AFAIC, it's resevered for climbers that can't ski. Hope that helps. BOA or not, is the other question, it's neither good, nor bad, costs more dollars and makes an awful noise, soon to replace the snap snap of two buckles and be replaced by endless zipping and clicking whilst your not pissing around on you smartphone.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@CH2O, Laughing

So all I have to do is work out what boots fall in this freeride category: is that just an amalgamation of Dave's Hybrid/Freetour categories? Will other boot retailers understand what I'm dribbling on about?

@Markymark29, I have seen your post about those, so might be in touch.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote="Mosha Marc"]@CH2O, Laughing

So all I have to do is work out what boots fall in this freeride category: is that just an amalgamation of Dave's Hybrid/Freetour categories? Will other boot retailers understand what I'm dribbling on about?

We really need to get away from the “hybrid” term. It was used to explain touring boots that ski, or ski boots that tour, and now practically anything with a walk mode does both well. Leather boot manufacturers excepted. If they walk and have GW compatibility then it defines what free ride is.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mosha Marc, the new Zero-G’s are 1300g. Fab boots and you can drive big skis with them but for what you’re describing I think you want something closer to an Alpine boot. A “Freeride” boot circa 1800g is going to ski very close to an Alpine boot and still give you a very usable walk mode and pin touring option for short tours. Something like the Atomix Hawk mentioned above, Tecnica Cochise, Lange XT3 Free, Nordica Stryder etc
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH, we’ve been testing the new/old zero gs loads, as it’s been our biggest seller of all time. You can feel the drop in weight and how it drives the ski, a slightly reduced feeling, be a little more careful with the skis you match it with and the extras are worth it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mosha Marc, On fleebay too with photos, can meet you if you want to try
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mosha Marc, I walked into a shop, looking to replace a pair of alpine boots with freeride boots. I asked for touring boots that were warm and wouldn't fall apart after two weeks, i.e. not the lightweight touring category that only work with touring bindings. I ended up with the women's clip version of what @swskier has linked above, but my partner has that exact same boot. Having seen both in action, I would pick the BOA over the clip (less fiddly and faffy), but they only stocked the men's ones Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarlet, I've had BOA systems on my cycling shoes for years; handy to tighten/loosen shoes without getting off the bike. You think they have a big advantage on ski boots though?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CH2O wrote:
@BobinCH, we’ve been testing the new/old zero gs loads, as it’s been our biggest seller of all time. You can feel the drop in weight and how it drives the ski, a slightly reduced feeling, be a little more careful with the skis you match it with and the extras are worth it.

Thanks for the info. I have the 1st gen which have been excellent but I just broke the rear internal spine so send them back to be fixed. I also have the Peak Carbons for my lightweight setup. Also fantastic boots (better suspension than Alien RS) but haven’t tried them with big skis - think they would work though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mosha Marc, I went in without an opinion either way on BOA, so it didn't matter to me that they weren't stocked. However, kinda like you, N has experience of BOA on snowboard boots and really liked it, so it was definitely his preference even though the clip version were slightly cheaper. His snowboard boots are probably 4-5 years old, but they don't have the quick release that the ski version has, so that was an improvement too (you just press the button when it's lunch time, and the BOA releases without having to unwind it). If I tighten the ankle buckles on my boots, then I have to fiddle around micro-adjusting the foot clips so they don't come undone. Or they come undone anyway and the grips fill with snow or they get jammed on a notch too tight and I struggle to get them open again rolling eyes The BOA just seems easier to adjust, and faster.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am very happy with Roxa R3's 1500g makes them light for a Freerando boot, but they will hapily push around the biggest of skis with ease. They walk fine for me, but it will depend on if the hinge is in the right place for you ankle.

I would worry more about fit then performance by numbers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mosha Marc, do your bindings need front pin holes on the boots or not? I've been happy with my Hawx Ultra driving 76mm GS piste skis and also for touring
ski holidays
@Mosha Marc, for me I just fancied trying the BOA system on a ski boot. Likewise I have BOA on my cycling shoes and also on a pair of golf shoes.

I haven't used them much yet to have a true feel for them yet, but have been happy enough with them the couple of times i've worn them.
snow conditions
Another +1 for Atomic Hawk as a great All-rounder - I ski my GS Piste skis with them one day and ski-tour the next.

https://stylealtitude.com/can-a-ski-touring-boot-work-with-a-dedicated-slalom-ski.html

But a caveat, I did write the above nigh on five years ago, so I presume that there must be something more modern out there now with a Boa system etc, that said my day-to-day touring boot which I prefer, and that's only because I recently bought some Intuition liners for them (haven't tried them in the Hawks) is an even older pair of MTN Lab boots.
snow report
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

I've also had the Hawx recommended in real life. I know it's all about fit; but you've helped narrow down the type of boot with pin inserts.
snow report
The hawx come in 3 different widths, by the way. (I'm sure others do to, but don't actually know)
latest report
It's latest version, the same next winter is the best version yet. Next year they're adding the Magna XTD, without Boa. The rest will only be available with Boa. The Magna XTD I think, is actually a helmet and not to be put on the feet of anyone that needs this size boot and intends to walk anywhere, not without a defibrillator that is.
snow conditions
CH2O wrote:
It's latest version, the same next winter is the best version yet. Next year they're adding the Magna XTD, without Boa. The rest will only be available with Boa. The Magna XTD I think, is actually a helmet and not to be put on the feet of anyone that needs this size boot and intends to walk anywhere, not without a defibrillator that is.

i can see it being worn a lot in the bars and clubs of austria
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy