Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz + Chatel or Les Gets?

Poster: A snowHead
Quick, a couple of questions. I thought i would write this in the Portes du Soleil thema, but this is mostly for weather and snow conditions thats why i open a new one.

Usually before our Week Holiday we make a night stop over somewhere else in order to break the travel way, and have one or two days more of skiing.
However heading to Avoriaz there is only a possibility to stop over and ski somewhere in Switzerland (which will be too expensive and i preffer to be near Avoriaz) or somewhere else in PDS

The options are Chatel or Les Gets. However is Les Gets a littlee bit more difficult in Thema Parking, compared with Chatel?
In Chatel there are enough places in Pre la Joux. In Les Gets i found that there is only a covered parking near the lifts but only with 250 places.I suppose Pre la Joux is a better option for someone arriving with a car. or i missed something?

And from avoriaz in which directions will be less crowded? i am thinking before 12.00 going away from Avoriaz will be better (since most of the people want to come to Avoriaz) and then after Midday skiing in Avoriaz , as most of them will heading back to Morzine, Chatel etc.

A last question : how steep is the Wall? can i find something similar somewhere else in PDS? in order to test my self if the conditions are ok for the wall?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Coming from Germany I presume you will come via Basel and down to Lake Geneva. If snow conditions allow you could come round the E. end of the lake and have a day in Bernex or Thollon-Les-Memises, both worth a day.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Usually from Germany we go through Morgins and we are direct to Chatel. But i will check it out for Thollon. But i suppose i have to book last minute according to the conditions
But seems that from Thollon the road is better towards Morzine-Avoriaz instead of Chatel - Morzine - Avoriaz
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
turms2 wrote:
Usually from Germany we go through Morgins and we are direct to Chatel. But i will check it out for Thollon. But i suppose i have to book last minute according to the conditions
But seems that from Thollon the road is better towards Morzine-Avoriaz instead of Chatel - Morzine - Avoriaz

Yes, bit easier drive Bernex/ Thollon up towards Morzine
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a large free car park in Les Gets at the bottom of the Perrieres Express chair. That's the first bit of the village you hit when approaching from the French/Geneva A41 direction. We used it over half term and it wasn't a problem to get a space in it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
in the Map seems that tha car park is a little bit further from the Chair. But if you say so the must bi so.
Thats a good alternative , however the problem is that we hat to go to Chavannes chairlift, in case the kids want a private course als we did last time. But this is also possible i think
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You are right, on the map it does look a little bit of a walk, but honestly, it is right at the bottom of the chair. There is a machine there to pick up your lift pass as well. Top tip, the public toilets under the chairlift are horrible, go and get a coffee in the luge on rails thing next to it and use the loo there!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow...ok thanks.
I made a little bit more research. According to google maps, Chatel or Thollon is almot 5.15 H driving, but les gets over 6 Hours.
I will leave les gets as a third choice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On the second question about the The Wall, the answer is, very steep, especially at the top, where the moguls are huge and there’s often a back log of people trying to scrape down, or in some cases baling out and trying to climb back up!

After the initial 50 metres or so it becomes just a tough, steep, long mogul run. I can’t say I’ve ever ‘enjoyed’ doing it but it is a good challenge and box to be ticked.
From what I have seen on here it has been closed a bit this season due to poor conditions, as well.

So there isn’t really anything like it on the PDS. The first time I skied the area with some mates, many years ago, when our map reading and orientation left a lot to be desired, we went down the mogul run at Chaus des Rosees, thinking it was the Wall and congratulated ourselves on how well we accomplished it. When we stumbled across the real thing it was a different story! Chaus des Rosees is always known to us now as The Fools Wall
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hm ok...probably i will leave it.
In the interactive map is open, however i am not a mogul fan. I love steep slopes but without moguls , or at least without iced hard packed moguls.
There must be really good conditions (as i wanted) to try the Wall. I think i will leave it
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wall discussed here recently. Apparently with fresh snow it’s relatively tame (who is your relative?!) but after a week or two it’s a bitch. Judge on the day.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Orange200 wrote:
Wall discussed here recently. Apparently with fresh snow it’s relatively tame (who is your relative?!) but after a week or two it’s a bitch. Judge on the day.

will make so. My relative is what i mention. Soft, frest, slushy it is ok. But iced and hard packed bumps it is not for me. I can but not for something soooo steep.
Without bumps i can almost everywhere.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SarahRad wrote:
There is a large free car park in Les Gets at the bottom of the Perrieres Express chair. That's the first bit of the village you hit when approaching from the French/Geneva A41 direction. We used it over half term and it wasn't a problem to get a space in it.

well i decided to follow your instructions. I will book something in Les Gets and stay there one night, ski as much as possible (seems really XXXXX) and then go further to Avoriaz as early as possible to take advantage the higher slopes there.

I think it is better than first day in Chatel and then driving from Chatel to avoriaz.

Such a way there is always the option to go to Les Prodains and trying to ski in Avoriaz from the first day (if the conditions are really shXXXy)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm entirely confused by this thread! So you're skiing in Avoriaz and wanting an overnight stop on the way to break up the journey? And you're thinking of breaking up the journey by overnighting in Les Gets?? Where are you travelling from, Taninges???

They are so close together I'd not bother personally - I'd drive directly to Avoriaz and have an extra night or two there. It'll save unpacking / re-packing the car and if you want to ski Les Gets then just ski over to Super Morzine, cross the town and ski from Pleney side.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Honestly there is no need to break the journey. Usually i do so when we are heading to the other resorts ( 3V, Paradiski etc)
The Main Plan is to ski in Avoriaz 7 days and not 6 (starting from Saturday) arriving at Saturday
But since Friday i also free, i can add a day skiing.
The original schedule was skiing in Les Diablerets at friday and stay there for a day.
But i want to be near avoriaz as much as possible to jave an almost Füll day at Saturday
The Option to stay ine day more in Avoriaz is not so simple. Either too expensive or Nothing available
Thats why i am checking the idea to stay one day in Les Gets in order to be early. At Saturday in Avoriaz
Skiing in les gets will be a last Minute decision according to the time we will arrive the conditions etc
latest report
You could try staying in Montriond on Friday night and skiing from Ardent into Linderets for Châtel, Avoriaz or CH side on Friday. The transfer upto Avoriaz on Sat morning will be faster than coming from Les Gets.
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
You could try staying in Montriond on Friday night and skiing from Ardent into Linderets for Châtel, Avoriaz or CH side on Friday. The transfer upto Avoriaz on Sat morning will be faster than coming from Les Gets.

Yes but i didnt find something with regionale price in Montriond
For one night in France is really difficult or really expensive
snow report
https://lacdemontriond.com/en/book-now/ A hundred quid for a night.
latest report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
https://lacdemontriond.com/en/book-now/ A hundred quid for a night.

saw it. 130 for a double (100 for 1 Person + 30 for the Second). But i have to book two = 260
And this is only with Breakfast. In Les Gets got an offer for 300.8 Euro with DemiPension
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy