Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Magic Pass just dropped.

Poster: A snowHead
I am now about 1,200 less well off.

But I now have three MPs for 2024-25.

They have just dropped - open until 6 April at 399chf

Huzzah!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Incredible value
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just bought mine with the 99 CHF spring bonus which allows me to ski Saas-Fee for the last week of this season at a saving of 236 CHF on the cost of the normal five-day pass. Incredible value, indeed! Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 14-03-24 16:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Magic Pass website for anyone interested
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I love a bargain and am contemplating the Magic Pass for next year, partly because it will encourage me to focus my mind on where to go. Flying in and out of Geneva is easiest for me, and I tend to let SBB take the strain from there unless I'm popping across the border into France, in which case it's shuttle or bus.

It looks like a number of the places I've previously considered are on there, notably Saas-Fee, Villars-Gryon, Glacier 3000, Grimentz-Zinal, Leysin, Les Diablerets. But I can't quite decide whether it would end up saving me money or just restricting me somewhat. And whether I might end up wishing I could travel more freely to explore further.

@NickyJ - I was doing a site search and stumbled across your thread from 2018 about the Magic Pass

Did you or @gnave ever bite the bullet and give it a go?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jebroni3_16, ...there's no much problem about being restricted with an ever-increasing number of new resorts each year - 80 in total now and some great summer venues. And some great new experiences...Lauchernalp was a great new one for us this year - masses of quality new-piste off-piste. Les Marecottes will be an outing for us this coming season, and let's hope we can drop by Metabief in the Summer for rolling rather than sliding.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My long-standing plan (probably in 2025 when I'm retired) is to fly to Geneva and then, using the Magic Pass, work my way along the railway line to Brig stopping at Leysin, Villars, Zinal, possibly Anzere and finishing at Saas-Grund and Saas-Fee over the course of a month or so. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
valais2 wrote:
@jebroni3_16, ...there's no much problem about being restricted with an ever-increasing number of new resorts each year - 80 in total now and some great summer venues. And some great new experiences...Lauchernalp was a great new one for us this year - masses of quality new-piste off-piste. Les Marecottes will be an outing for us this coming season, and let's hope we can drop by Metabief in the Summer for rolling rather than sliding.

I guess part of my restriction concern is tied to my preference to use public transport. And I think I might be limited in which areas I could easily visit during my usual Monday - Friday trips (with the Mon & Fri being flight / travel days) and just boarding Tuesday to Thursday

Maybe I just need to sack off the idea of short trips and either not come home or get the missus to come out to meet me in Geneva every fortnight instead!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LOTA wrote:
Just bought mine with the 99 CHF spring bonus which allows me to ski Saas-Fee for the last week of this season at a saving of 236 CHF on the cost of the normal five-day pass. Incredible value, indeed! Very Happy

Assuming I'm reading the various sites right, if you're going for Saas Fee's last week of up to Sunday 21st April, Saas-Almagell will already be closed (after Sunday 7th) and Saas Grund isn't included on the Magic Pass... assuming I'm reading the various sites right!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jebroni3_16, no I didn't in the end. Still on hopes to do but once we can go outside school holidays
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jebroni3_16, You are correct, Saas-Grund (not on Magic Pass) and Almagell will be closed. But Saas-Fee will be open and, hopefully, the very impressive snow depths will survive the predicted warm spell. I have done this equivalent week for the last three seasons and it's been pretty good.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@LOTA, that is A Good Plan.

So not forget to visit (in order East to West)

Nax - only 4 lifts...huge area...the iciest car park in the known universe
Vercorin - bad weather circuits in the gondola - lovely tree lined routes - plenty of varied terrain - lovely farm restaurant with rooms at Tracuit lift
Chandolin - big, cruisy, access to St Luc
Lauchernalp - micro-climate of much snowiness
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
valais2 wrote:

I’m still to get to Les Marecottes - some steep terrain and one of the best snow records in the alps.

And the Metabief bike park is fab, and one of the first to open
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, ....excellent.

I've just removed some nasty snotites from the Grom's enduro bike after autumn storage in the chalet, and done lots of fettling to bring other bikes in the UK into better condition after some hard winter use.
Just one enduro bike to build and a hardtail to finish...

Getting my head round the full switch to bikes from skis....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm allways looking for a bargain, and I found a much better than expected price for Crans-Montana last year.

Rather than book a 6ix day pass in advance, (sorry about the typo.. but now I've accidently done it I'll stick with it)
I found that it was cheaper to parse the website for the individual days purchased in advance. I saved at least 35% on the cost of a six day pass.
Strange, but true.

Admittedly I did purchase them about 4 months in advance and big thanks to @valais2, for providing me with some blank passes.
latest report
On a similar subject, Are there any Resorts in Switzerland that offer Senior discounts or even "Super Senior" discounts for those who will be 75 next season?
latest report
DrLawn wrote:
On a similar subject, Are there any Resorts in Switzerland that offer Senior discounts or even "Super Senior" discounts for those who will be 75 next season?

A quick Google search threw up this helpful page from Sno.co.uk, although you'll obviously want to check this info for yourself (and I've cropped out a load of non-Switzerland options, but left a select few in):

Ski resorts offering free ski passes for seniors
Age 70+
Andorra: Grandvalira (Pas de la Casa, Soldeu El Tarter), Vallnord (Arinsal, La Massana)

Age 72+
France: Les 2 Alpes

Age 75+
France: Val d’Isere, Tignes, Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, Flaine, Les Carroz, Samoens, Val Cenis, Montgenevre, Serre Chevalier, La Rosiere

Ski resorts offering discounted ski passes for seniors
Age 62+
Switzerland: Grindelwald, Wengen, Murren

Age 64+
Switzerland: Davos, Klosters, Flims, Laax (for women)

Age 65+
Switzerland: Davos, Klosters, Flims, Laax, Verbier, Villars-Gryon, Les Diabrelets

EDIT: And another helpful page from Silver Travel Advisor

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 2-04-24 8:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
LOTA wrote:
@jebroni3_16, You are correct, Saas-Grund (not on Magic Pass) and Almagell will be closed. But Saas-Fee will be open and, hopefully, the very impressive snow depths will survive the predicted warm spell. I have done this equivalent week for the last three seasons and it's been pretty good.

That's good (the snow conditions and that I didn't completely misunderstand the info), because I'm looking for somewhere easy to get to on train from Geneva for the week after next and was trying to work out whether I could make use of the Spring Skiing Option of the Magic Pass if I were to get it. Although it seems like a shame to head to Saas Fee if Almagell is closed and Grund isn't included

But with temperatures sneaking back up, I'm less and less confident about where will still be open and with decent conditions unless I head to Verbier or Zerrmatt again
ski holidays
Thank you @jebroni3_16,
A very useful lonk too...Thanks
This could be the last time I have to pay for a lift pass Very Happy

But just a discount for Italy
snow report
You're very welcome, @DrLawn

I've bit the bullet this morning and bought the Magic Pass for next season (including full insurance) which should work out at almost exactly £400. By my reckoning, even if I only manage three trips out next season, I should cover my outlay (although obviously not getting nearly as much value out of it as others), but will help focus my attention on the destinations I already wanted to visit: Saas-Fee, Villars-Gryon, Glacier 3000, Grimentz-Zinal, Leysin, Les Diablerets

I assume that Saas-Fee or Glacier 3000 would be the best bets for a mid-December trip?
ski holidays
Hi @jebroni3_16, I don't live in Switzerland Sad so I'm not the one to ask where are the best places to ski in December.

There is Engelberg as well.
But I would expect Verbier would be good.
Ah... you mean for your Magic Pass!

Someone will be along in a minute with some suggestions.@BobinCH, or @valais2 wil have a better handle on it.
ski holidays
@jebroni3_16, My observation is that Glacier 3000is often closed due to wind whereas Saas Fee isn't so if going early season when lower slopes might be sparse the Saas Fee would be the safer bet.
snow report
@jebroni3_16, ...follow the snow. Lauchernalp has a microclimate which seems to drive high snowfall. Open for second week of Dec. Les Marecottes also microclimate but usually late opening. Vercorin again a snow-winner and open second week. Saas Fee a very good bet. Drive to Valais - stay in hotel like SwissResorts Vercorin, then drive to the snow....
snow report
I noticed that two of my planned trips next year are on the MP, so just pulled the trigger on 3 passes with just 14 hours to go.

Total savings are over 500 CHF Very Happy
ski holidays
Where have you got planned, @HilbertSpace?

Thanks for the advice, @valais2. I tend to let the train take the strain when I go to Switzerland, but will investigate your Valais suggestion and see whether that will work.

My trips are usually no more than 4 nights at a time, but might have to reconsider that next year. Only problem is that my partner is not only a non-skier, but also has her birthday in mid-January and is unable to work remotely.

Otherwise, I'd be very tempted to just head out at the start of January and stay until the half-term holidays start.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy