Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warm-up and drills for elder people

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

12 years ago, I did a basic level 1 ski instructor course in Austria (anwärter). After which I teached for one season.
Since then I only use my (outdated) knowledge for friends and family if they want it.

Now my father has asked me to join him and his friends for a ski trip in a few weeks. He has never asked me to give him tips or drills but now he does want me to come along.
Reason being that he has more fear in skiing = less fun.
He is 66 years old and overweight and so are his friends. He likes skiing when its sunny. At first he never liked it but now he has very short ski's (no shorty's but definitely way shorter than normal) so he can turn easily (without effort that is...) and now he enjoys it.

But of course, with his age and weight and losing mobility and strength even this will become more difficult. This is where I am now asked to step in.
He is asking for me to ski in front as I better understand how to navigate a slope and different snow conditions more easily. Perhaps they will also do some drills. The main goal however is for them to have fun and enjoy 'effortles skiing'..

I understand that this fun goes hand in hand with learning technique but that's why I would like some tips for drills that will probably be most effective in them being more in control and active stance in skiiing.
They ski parallel on not too steep slopes. Their stance is 'ok' but they don't ski dynamically, hardly any up and down movement, just throwing some weight to make a turn easily.

Can you help me with some (fun) drills for warmups? (To prevent injury but I also think with some good warmup they'd be more inclined to ski dynamically)
And also some technique drills, i'm thinking javelin turns, lifting inside ski, posture reset before turn, bending knees / touching snow during turn.

Thanks in advanced!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads, @Alogon. I hate to be pessimistic but it sounds as though it's too late to do much. Certainly getting them moving - before they put skis on - a few (not deep) squats, circling elbows then arms, knee lifts, twists to left and right - would be good for them but they probably won't like it. They will like javelin turns even less. Just reminding them to keep weight on the outside ski is probably all they will be willing and able to take on board.

However, the suggestion that you lay down a good line for them makes good sense - and you can also scout out which runs have good enough conditions for them. You don't say where you are going, but a resort with lots of easy runs, which you know well, will help.

You can encourage them to do a bit more, a bit better, but if the weather is bad you might have to spend a lot of time in cosy mountain huts. And your Dad will enjoy his holiday more with you there!

I am an elderly skier, less and less willing and able to cope with poor vis and tricky conditions - I know how it is.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alogon, where are you taking them skiing? Perhaps a few hours with an instructor would be the biggest help? I'd be very wary of you giving them lessons/tips/drills, especially in France! https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=168778

How much balance do they have? could they lift the inside ski after a turn to try and get more feeling for having more weight on the outside ski? Or just do small lift/put down the inside ski in a series of steps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’m 70 and keep mobile doing weekly pilates. Ask the to try the sitting with back against the walk thing for short then increasing minutes before the trip. Dolomites is great for lovely blue runs that are not too much strain on knees. Suggest hotel with a hot tub and/or steam room. Take voltarel gel.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Oblos, +1 in every detail, except that I'm 77 and do 3 (fairly high level) Pilates classes a week, brush my teeth balancing on one leg and do 50 Pilates squats (ie not very low, my knees aren't keen on deep squats) a day. Still have to resort to Ibuprofen though!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone for the replies. We're going to austria (Sölden). I agree with the points you all make.

I guess we just do warmups, especially the legs as much as they like and then see what kind of excercise they can do in regard to balance on the ski's.

I have read recently that brushing your teath on one leg is one of the most healthiest things you can do so I'll advice them that if they struggle:)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Warren Smith has a range of warm up exercises on his ski academy website: look at the tutorials. The tutorials include sections on ski technique.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy