Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flims/Laax

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've become a bit of a creature of habit in recent seasons and nearly exclusively skied Zermatt.

However, just off to Flims/Laax so would appreciate any information and advice from Snowheads who know it well.

We'll be staying in Flims Dorf (at The Hide).

In particular;

Does anyone know a good guide they can recommend ? We'd like to do at least one day of off-piste, more if conditions are good.

Which are the best restaurants on the slopes ? Do we need to book in advance ?

Recommended runs (Red/Black/Itinerary preferably) ?

Must do/visit parts of the resort ?

Tourist traps/things to avoid ?

Tips and tricks to avoid queues ?

Any advice very gratefully received. Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lunch

A Wurst from the hut on Sattel black on a sunny day is excellent.

The place at Startgels is excellent and reasonably priced.

Cheapest place is Curnius self service and is still good, it's Switzerland right.

Runs, down into Flims and Falera are lovely, as is the previously mentioned Sattel black

And dont forget to giggle like kids because everything is Crap - its part of the experience
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Use the app to avoid any queues as it gives live updates and q cams, but there shouldn't be any now
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Blackblade, as @hobbiteater says the Sattel black (off the side of the glacier) is the pick of the runs. It follows a valley of its own, with a chair out up to the side ridge at the end. It isn't particularly steep, but there is one twisty narrow bit which is probably what earned its grading - plus the fact that once you have started there is no alternative available. And it is very satisfying to reward yourself with a sausage from the hut at the bottom when you finish, assuming the weather is good enough to sit and eat it outside.

But it is a decent resort with a fair amount of enjoyable skiing. Those runs to Flims and Falera (either side of the area) are nice mostly because of a sense of travel, skiing wise they are very mellow. We stayed in Laax so we haven't any advice on eating out at the Flims end, although several times we had coffee or lunch at the cafe by the bottom lift.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much for this.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hobbiteater wrote:
And dont forget to giggle like kids because everything is Crap - its part of the experience

Ah … now I understand this Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blackblade wrote:
hobbiteater wrote:

Ah … now I understand this Very Happy

I dont
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Baron von chippy, "Crap" is the word for "Mount" or "Mont" or "Piz" in the local variant of the Romansch language which is spoken in that part of Switzerland. So every moutain peak is called that, but causes giggles in the kids.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Right, and every local business is named after a peak, so you have Crap Bar, Crap Food, Crap Ski School, etc....

Never gets old...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blackblade wrote:
I've become a bit of a creature of habit in recent seasons and nearly exclusively skied Zermatt.

However, just off to Flims/Laax so would appreciate any information and advice from Snowheads who know it well.

We'll be staying in Flims Dorf (at The Hide).

How was it - have you been already? This is next year's trip for me with my snowboarding teenage son. We'll end up doing day trips to Laax and maybe some others (Flumserberg, Hoch-y-Brig etc.) as we'll stay with my brother who is based in Zurich, but would love to hear your experience. Skiied there for a day back in 2017 (I think) as part of a long weekend and looking forward to going back. As a family we are likewise creatures of habit as my wife and girls all like La Plagne, but Max and I are looking forward to CH again next winter.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy