Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner friendly skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@chrisbristol, that sounds great.
I am being advised to avoid Alpe D'Huez during the half term and with two young kids, that's my only choice. I do like the look of those slopes. I am planning to head to Pila for our second ski holiday I think.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
locked80 wrote:
Thanks again @Temesvar.
How bad are the queues in the morning and are there ski hire shops near the lift so we don't have to drag them too far?

if you stay in Pila, which is up the mountain, then you walk out of hotel to ski hire shops and the lifts etc, all very handy

If you stay in Aosta town, you get the Gondola up from a large free car park on the edge of town, and there are ski hire shops right next to the gondola base.

I've been in half term, very little queueing. we pretty much jumped straight onto the gondola. There were some buses with local school kids some days, but they arrived later in the morning. Sometimes there was 2-5 mi queue at the first lifts from top of gondola in Pila.

I've been to Bansko (non half term) and know what you mean re their gondola queues!!! We got a taxi up to edge of the ski area (bottom left on piste map) to avoid them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
locked80 wrote:
Thanks again @Temesvar.
How bad are the queues in the morning and are there ski hire shops near the lift so we don't have to drag them too far?

Queues when we were there were generally pretty light. We stayed towards the top of the village, near the lifts going up the middle of the resort, and we were either straight onto the lift, or a 5 min wait. Queues on lifts up the hill were even less. We did spend 20 mins in one queue, but that was on the weekend, when the Italians come in from the cities, and was the lift adjacent to the main gondola up from Aosta, so lots of people were going through it.

There are a few hire shops around the village, so it depends on which lift. The one we used was under the Plan Bois Hotel, which is about 100-200 yards from the Leisse chair.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@locked80, hi. We’ve just returned from Pila (24th-31st March) so not half term, but we had a very good experience. It was Easter hols for some areas of UK, plus quite a few school trips there with Interski. We didn’t have to queue for any of the lifts for the whole week (there was a short queue maybe 4-5 mins for the beginner magic carpet near ski school). We did have a few days of difficult weather which may have had an impact on numbers.

I don’t know how busy it gets in half term but I suppose a lot will depend on Italian school holidays- I believe 2025 the Carnaval week doesn’t coincide with UK half term so might be a bit quieter?

Re ski hire there are a couple of options at least that I know of. There are two I think (definitely one as we visited) near the Aosta cable car station, just down some steps and down the road, so about 5 mins walk to slope. Also another near the trauma centre (it’s called Soletta, and is the one we hired from).

The ski hire shop collected us when we arrived at hotel on first day, sorted our gear, then dropped us back at hotel- we had ski and boot room at hotel for storage). It’s accessible from the slope if you know where to find it, I wasn’t sure but lady from hotel drove me in her car to show me how to access it from slope as I was thinking of going back to swap my boots (but didn’t in the end).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy