Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can't carve - won't carve

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Peter S, filled by cheap beginners skis Twisted Evil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
@Peter S, filled by cheap beginners skis Twisted Evil

Plus you could also detune any ski to give that underpowered wishy washy feel. Maybe there's a market for stöklis with chamfered edges?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like the niche is for advanced skidable friendly skis. Should be lots of skiers falling into that category snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
golf clubs are specifically designed to hit the ball up in the air and long distances (and ostensibly straight ish) - it is human beings that do things that stop the club doing it’s only job

It’s the same with “carving” skis - human beings get in the way of them doing what they are designed to do
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
I was thinking about this thread when I was skiing in the slush on Monday – how do skiers not go AoT on those last few hundred metres through the wettest slop at the bottom, if they don't use their edges? I'm going edge to edge with quite short quick turns, otherwise my torso will rapidly overtake my feet, and we all know how that ends.

No idea though I did relish the prospect of some blue run heroes today who were straightling a wide and unintimidating slope suddenly coming to an abrupt slowdown. Unfortunately didn't happen so maybe I was the fool.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
frejul wrote:
I'm giving up.

As I mentioned on another thread - eternal intermediate British dad skier (you know the type).

I'm having fun, I'm getting down all the runs I want to. But it's just not happening (aside from perhaps a few moments on a smooth black piste where the steepness gave my edges some more bite).

Have told teenage son - carving is for turkeys - and "skidded" is not the right term for my turns. I say it's high performance "drifting" like in motorsport snowHead

Anyway, not looking for carving tips - just some solidarity from other folks who've decided to settle for other turn styles!

A wise old coach once told me "Beginners learn to skid, intermediates learn to carve and advanced skiers relearn how to skid". Just tell your son you bypassed the middle bit Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kenny,
Quote:

Beginners learn to skid, intermediates learn to carve and advanced skiers relearn how to skid

One of the best things about my recent coaching week was rob@rar teaching me how smoothly to blend the two where appropriate.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
(S)He who does not adapt their technique to the conditions is doomed to suboptimal performance. You can't/shouldn't carve/skid everything.

Even WC racers stivot (see) when it's called for.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Aksel Lund Svindal's Evolution of a Freeskier
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@frejul, some solidarity for you:

My dad is 81, has never grasped modern carving technique and says he never will, yet still enjoys himself and is quick enough to ski on-piste with a sporty teenager. Another 81 year old in our group has recently retired from alpine skiing, but in the earlier 20 year period I skied with him he made piste skiing look effortless in all conditions, without ever using a purely carved turn.

Drifting or brushed turns are good ways of describing the type of turns I think you are comfortable with. I see plenty of piste skiers who exclusively use drift turns in a very well controlled way. They are limiting their toolbox of techniques, but it's their money and choice how to ski.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
frejul wrote:
I'm giving up.

As I mentioned on another thread - eternal intermediate British dad skier (you know the type).

I'm having fun, I'm getting down all the runs I want to. But it's just not happening (aside from perhaps a few moments on a smooth black piste where the steepness gave my edges some more bite).

Have told teenage son - carving is for turkeys - and "skidded" is not the right term for my turns. I say it's high performance "drifting" like in motorsport snowHead

Anyway, not looking for carving tips - just some solidarity from other folks who've decided to settle for other turn styles!

As most of us are not professional ski racers I think that it’s up to you. If you’re enjoying your skiing then great. However, if your son does learn to properly carve then you’ll have to deal with the leg-pulling when he’s standing there waiting for you !

Personally, I am always trying to get better … I view skiing more as a sport than a recreation … and I found that it took a LOT of coaching and practice to learn to properly carve. However, carving is not the only way to turn skis and in certain circumstances it’s not the right technique to use anyway.

Again, speaking personally, the more I learn and the more techniques I have in my ‘skiing toolkit’ the more I find I enjoy it. I participated in another thread where people were bemoaning the fact that pistes were hard and icy and saying that their holiday was ‘ruined’ as a result. My comeback was that it was the perfect time to enjoy some high speed carving and that, yes, I really do genuinely enjoy challenging myself on a hard, icy and steep piste. (Plus, speaking as the father of two 20-somethings … means I’m still faster and better than them for the moment as I’ve had the opportunity to do more training … don’t know how much longer that will last but probably for a while as they get 6-12 days per season and I’m usually on around 30 (and take coaching regularly))

So, up to you; if you want to learn to carve then you’ll need a good coach and the time/determination to do some things that won’t initially feel right; then suddenly it will come together and you’ll go ‘Wow’. If you don’t want to do that then also fine. Enjoy !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
frejul wrote:
I'm having fun.

You win, no need to say or justify anything
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5K_vpuIw9u/?igsh=MWozZHZwYnk5dzFzaA%3D%3D
Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Coach says “stand on the outside ski”…
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy