Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hip dumping

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As a breakaway from the "return to skiing after 35 years":

@Old Fartbag, helpfully posted this link: https://fedewenzelski.com/advanced-skiing-10-key-tips-to-help-you-achieve-higher-edge-angles/
which mentions "hip dumping", which @rob@rar, indicated is very common, and I think is something I do.

Hence a thread to ask for views on how to identify you're doing it (as a skier, rather than on a video) - what would it feel like? Would it explain why I struggle so much with ice, but am fine on steep moguls/powder/chopped up snow?

And what kind of things can I do to reduce/eliminate it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowdave, it’s difficult to balance 100% on your outside ski if you dump your hip. Make some turns on one leg (your outside ski), trying to pick up the inside ski as soon as you start the turn and keep it lifted until the turn is complete. Once you get comfortable doing this on easy terrain aim for higher performance turns. Try to feel for the “stable platform” you have with your outside ski when you can keep the inside ski lifted from start to end of the turn, and try to replicate that feeling when you are back on two skis.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rob@rar, thanks, will give that a shot!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowdave wrote:
@rob@rar, thanks, will give that a shot!
Try it with different types of turn, from quite skiddy to well carved (find a gentle Green somewhere). The turn shape needs to be well rounded, so don’t rush the setup phase. That’s where things go wrong if skiers are going to dump the hip.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
The turn shape needs to be well rounded, so don’t rush the setup phase. That’s where things go wrong if skiers are going to dump the hip.

I feel I do rush the setup sometimes, and get the skis round a bit fast, so will try and slow that down.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowdave, whack up some video would be the easiest but hip dumping will typically cause the skis to diverge (tips farther apart than the tails) as too much weight will be on the inside ski. when you dump your hip it will typically rotate so that your pelvis is facing to the outside of the turn. Dumping can also occur when someone overflexes at the knee joint and gets caught inside ski. Fede's article and short video demos that very nicely.

These movements can be "felt" by the skier but those outcomes can be also caused by other flaws such as banking or twisting the shoulders so external feedback is usually best to identify root cause. Hip dumping is very common in people trying to get more "athletic' of trying to get more performance from the skis but are rushing the set up phase of the turn and over angulating.

Couple of things to try :

try turning by using just a bit of inclination at the start of the turn to get the new outside ski to engage. do this on a flat and get comfortable doing this with the skis ALWAYS parallel. once you can do parallel turns with pure inclination then gently add a touch of angulation once you feel you are starting to get too much weight on the inside ski and it is diverging...

Think of holding a long strong outside leg throughout the turn and slowly shorten the inside leg to topple into the turn whilst keeping your spine perpendicular to the snow.

As you get comfortable skiing with the inside ski off the snow drill as Rob suggests you can develop that further by keeping your inside hip "high" whilst doing the inside ski off the deck. This will promote effective angulation.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
another thread discussed this well https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156592&highlight=
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skimottaret, thanks! the tip divergence is a good flag, as this does indeed happen. My kids laugh at my "penguin" skiing sometimes Happy I have been working on keeping skis more parallel and maintaining parallel twin grooves in the snow, but clearly need to do more. However... in order to get the skis parallel, I've put a bit _more_ rather than less weight on the inside ski, so it's not just skidding along for the ride, but is joining in the carving. Is this wrong?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the only hard rule in skiing is that you never want more the 50% of weight on the inside ski. It can help to get comfortable balancing on the inner ski edge so you can better control it but I wouldn't consciously add weight to inside until you can balance effectively on the outside ski as Rob mentions. the skiddy squirrely feel you are getting is most likely because you are sitting on a flat inside ski when hip dumping and not engaging the inner ski edge
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:
the only hard rule in skiing is that you never want more the 50% of weight on the inside ski. It can help to get comfortable balancing on the inner ski edge so you can better control it but I wouldn't consciously add weight to inside until you can balance effectively on the outside ski as Rob mentions. the skiddy squirrely feel you are getting is most likely because you are sitting on a flat inside ski when hip dumping and not engaging the inner ski edge
+1
Make sure you can reliably create a solid platform when you are very outside ski dominant, and from that you can play around with what you do with the inside ski. But the fundamental is a strong, progressive setup phase where you are well balanced on the outside ski early in the turn. Without that you're always going to be trying to address the symptoms rather than the cause of a weak stance.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowdave, you would have enjoyed the 4 day tech tune up I did with InsideOut in Meribel! lots of toppling, one legged skiing and early edge angles
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skimottaret, thanks- the weighting the inner ski is “automatic” (maybe a proprioception feedback loop Happy ) because if I put it on edge without weight, it runs straight vs the heavily bent outside ski.

What struck me in all the images of pros on the earlier link, is that typically they are in a very slight snowplough, whereas I’m sometimes in a slight “inverse snowplough). All the suggestions above are very helpful, thanks to all contributors. I’ll try the suggestions out on my next trip and report back.

Will see if I can get one of the kids to video me as well, for public embarrassment and free tuition Happy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, sounds fun, maybe next year! I do a fair amount of one ski skiing, sometimes even intentionally Happy.

I’ve seen one of our club racers complete an entire slalom course on one ski, after stepping out of one in the start gate, and deciding to continue. She won.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy