Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Return to skiing after 35-years

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I for one have found the recent posts most interesting, as indeed I have many of the preceding posts - I just get bored when things get personal, and I don’t agree with the modern trend of “cancelling” people.
@Hurtle, I don’t really understand why you don’t simply ignore this thread if it bothers you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@motyl, it got personal because the OP is a troll and most people prefer not to see trolls on the forum. There is no reason why the riveting discussion on the laws of physics could not be extracted and accorded its own thread.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know we are in agreement in recognising the obvious and active trolling on the forum but in this case I don’t agree with your labelling. As always, individuals see things in different ways and I can understand that we might take different positions in this instance. To be clear, her full frontal and unwarranted assault on some of our mutual friends lost her a lot of my sympathy but imv that was not trolling.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alastair Pink,
Perhaps you could recommend a good book on the subject Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
motyl wrote:
I know we are in agreement in recognising the obvious and active trolling on the forum but in this case I don’t agree with your labelling. As always, individuals see things in different ways and I can understand that we might take different positions in this instance. To be clear, her full frontal and unwarranted assault on some of our mutual friends lost her a lot of my sympathy but imv that was not trolling.
I'm not that bothered what it's called, it was thoroughly unpleasant regardless, probably for the OP as well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hurtle, on that, we agree.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

To be clear, her full frontal and unwarranted assault on some of our mutual friends lost her a lot of my sympathy but imv that was not trolling.

I agree. The point of a troll is that they exist solely to stir up trouble. They take a voyeuristic pleasure in setting one person against another, but they have no emotional investment in the process. They don't get "upset" and lash out defensively when challenged and criticised.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well if we're going to get pedantic

Blackblade wrote:

....Your whole body (and skis etc) is describing an arc around a theoretical pivot point with a given turn radius. That radius will be, if you’re not skidding, the carve radius of the skis so likely somewhere in the 16m-24m range assuming all mountain type skis...

Only if you apply so little edge angle so as to not flex the ski wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Origen, does it really matter what it's called?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hurtle, in one sense no: as long as we know what we're talking about it doesn't really matter what we call it.

In another sense, there's a distinction that's I think worth making, between, on the one hand, the kind of troll who likes to stir up conflict for their own amusement, and whose only investment in what's going on is the degree to which they can rile those who seek to participate in discussion in good faith; and, on the other hand, the thin-skinned participant in discussion who is unwilling to accept criticism or even disagreement, and who gets worked up in the process.

I don't think it matters whether these are considered two different kinds of troll, or two things (the first a troll, the second something else) of different kinds. Neither is able to participate in discussion in good faith, or constructively. It's telling, for example, that this particular specimen has ignored responses that engage constructively and make helpful suggestions (I link to my own only because it's the one that's clearest in my memory, and that served to me as an early indicator of some of the things that might be going on, but I'm sure there are others), while getting enraged at mild (and then increasingly less mild) criticism--before asserting a kind of research expertise (an MSc! Wow!) and intellectual superiority that didn't bother to consider that there might be experts, other librarians, academics, researchers etc. around here.

Personally I think it's worth drawing a distinction between the kind of disingenuous troll who seeks to enrage others for their own amusement, and the kind of thin-skinned self-appointed expert who cannot bear even the gentlest, most constructive criticism or disagreement (and who gets enraged when criticized). While the former tends to appear emotionally disengaged, the latter seems to be all too emotionally invested in what's happening, and their hyper-earnestness means that calling them a 'troll' can be perceived as a huge slight (the former, in contrast, frequently wears the label with pride). Both are fairly toxic; neither merits engaging with; both can provide a certain kind of entertainment, of sorts (the latter more akin to the aftermath of a terrible road collision).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well put, @JayRo. Your word "disingenuous" is just right for what I think of as a troll. Engaging with a troll is pointless - just playing their game, but non-damaging if you don't mind wasting your time. Engaging with someone like the OP here, as we decided a while back, can be cruel, like a cat playing with a mouse.

But of course, none of us should engage in threads which upset us, regardless of terminology. It's supposed to be positive/informative/fun or even all three!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
musher wrote:
@Alastair Pink,

I'd highly recommend the Feynman Lectures on Physics . Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JayRo,
Quote:

Personally I think it's worth drawing a distinction between the kind of disingenuous troll who seeks to enrage others for their own amusement, and the kind of thin-skinned self-appointed expert who cannot bear even the gentlest, most constructive criticism or disagreement (and who gets enraged when criticized). While the former tends to appear emotionally disengaged, the latter seems to be all too emotionally invested in what's happening, and their hyper-earnestness means that calling them a 'troll' can be perceived as a huge slight (the former, in contrast, frequently wears the label with pride). Both are fairly toxic; neither merits engaging with;

I absolutely agree with the distinction you've described. The reason I felt no particular need to draw that distinction was that, as you say,
Quote:

neither merits engaging with;
I also referred to the upset probably caused for the OP in my reply to motyl; all the more reason to desist in engaging.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
musher wrote:
@Alastair Pink,

I'd highly recommend the Feynman Lectures on Physics . Madeye-Smiley

Is there an American translation Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: