Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More dolomites questions

Poster: A snowHead
The beauty of The Hidden Valley almost brought me to tears
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@beester1976, I have 4 days skiing so want to maximise time on snow. Sitting on a bus and queuing for a cable car does not appeal to me, neither does the novelty of being pulled by a horse. Each to their own, as they say!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Owls101, with just four days you will just be scratching the surface no need to over plan things.
We do have a plan at the start of some days but that usally changes by the time we are up the first lift. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Owls101 wrote:
@beester1976, I have 4 days skiing so want to maximise time on snow. Sitting on a bus and queuing for a cable car does not appeal to me, neither does the novelty of being pulled by a horse. Each to their own, as they say!

This I get, you need to prioritize. Same goes though for any other thing you want to do. Want to ski marmolada, better be lucky with the cabelcar at malga ciapella (could be 45 min -1 h wait if you are not), want to do the sella ronda? Don't do on Wed-Thu-Fri when every week holiday skier has had his "need to first get back into the groove of skiing days" and is ready to tackle the sella ronda. Lot's of waiting there wink

I overlooked the 4 day length part. If that is the case just enjoy the local area or take the sella ronda to just visit another valley. There is more than enough skiing for 4 days in that. Reserve the Armentarola, Marmolada, Sella Ronda or Great War tour (now there you have a lot of sitting in the bus) for another holiday.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Owls101 wrote:

You say that, but you will find yourself stopping and just staring. The Dolomites are a quite unique set of huge lumps of rock, obviously dropped in by aliens.

We did the Sella Ronda by mountain bike from Ortisei. Quite a tight schedule, no time for stopping and gawping at the amazing views......which is exactly what we ended up doing snowHead

Agreed with not doing the Hidden Valley, Marmolada etc, but if it is a clear day, take the Fermeda chair to the very top of Seceda and take a look f the back edge. OMG, the view into the Val di Funes and the backside view of the Odles is something else.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Couple thoughts for the OP and others asking:

Hidden Valley (Lagazuoi-Armentarola): Not a great ski run; a good ski run that's as beautiful as anywhere on earth. For this reason it attracts lots of gapers, and they get to gape there. Option to stop at a notably good rifugio, Scotoni, though its a tough table. Also option to be towed back to civilization by a horse. In sum: provided you have visibility it is easily worth it once, but its more about the experience than the skiing. Might be a good play for your fourth day when you are sucking.

Marmolada: at the top the view is just average by Dolomiti standards, so, great. And beneath you is the longest run in the joint, with pretty good pitch as well. But it takes three tram rides to get to the top, and because of that great run, there are usually significant queues. It is also relatively isolated, not on the way to much else. In sum: visibility is essential. If you have it, and are willing to spend the time in three tram lines, do it. But I bet you only do it once.

Sella Ronda: is a clever marketing thing that is something to do. Good for folks who like some structure for their day rather than just pointing 'em. It is a good way to sample the various areas and get a feel for the moving around one does when skiing in the Alps. It is well signed. For these reasons it is popular, so the pistes and lifts involved are often more crowded than elsewhere in the same ski area. In sum: if you like the sound of this, do it. Takes about a half day, no need to worry. But if you have time constraints, hate crowds or just want to max out your skiing, there are other, better places to do that in those same areas.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Although there is nothing wrong with "doing" the sella ronda just to check a box, we found it more useful as a highway to get places. We just got back from six days of skiing based in Selva. Val Gardena, which is where Selva is, easily gives you 2-3 days in and of itself. But when you want to spend a day exploring Val Di Fassa, follow green sella ronda to get there, and then orange back (I hope I got this right - if not, its the opposite) when its time to go home. Do the opposite to get to Alta Badia. The best skiing is at each of the 4 ski areas, not necessarily on the routes itself. If you wind up going to the resort opposite where you are staying (for Selva, its Arraba) then complete the loop on the way home to complete the sella ronda.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Marmolada queuing-time question:

beester1976 wrote:
Want to ski marmolada, better be lucky with the cabelcar at malga ciapella (could be 45 min -1 h wait if you are not), want to do the sella ronda? Don't do on Wed-Thu-Fri when every week holiday skier has had his "need to first get back into the groove of skiing days" and is ready to tackle the sella ronda. Lot's of waiting there wink

We’ll be in Selva for a week from Sat 3 Feb. Despite skiing the area many times we’ve only been up Marmolada a couple of times because of a bad experience with a 1hr wait for the cable car at Malga Ciapella.

Does anyone have any suggestions for minimising the risk of getting stuck there for an hour?

If I’ve read the piste map right, there’s still no alternative lift connecting to the drag lift that takes you back to Capanna Bill and Passo Pedon (though one appears to be planned), so you’re stuck and just have to wait it out. Is there a live waiting-time board at the bottom of the drag lift before you pass the point of no return? Or a live webcam on which you can see the size of the queue?

Thanks in advance.

PS No suggestions required for alternative areas to ski.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do you mean from the bottom of the cable car in case you change your mind?

Is the glacier worth it? I didn’t make it beyond the first slow 2 man on the way last year. Looking at the map now it’s 3 cable car stages to get you to the top?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
buchanan101 wrote:
Do you mean from the bottom of the cable car in case you change your mind?

Is the glacier worth it? I didn’t make it beyond the first slow 2 man on the way last year. Looking at the map now it’s 3 cable car stages to get you to the top?

I'm asking if there's a live information board at the bottom of the Padon chairlift (13) or Campo Scualoa draglift (14) showing the current waiting time for the Malga-Marmolada cable car (41-42-43). If you go past the bottom of those lifts and ski on down to the cable car at Malga Ciapela and find there's an hour-long queue, you're stuck! Better still, a webcam on which you can see the queue.

Or any other tips on avoiding or minimising the chances of encountering a huge wait.

Given the warm weather and lack of forecast snow, it might be the only place for squeaky snow! Also, our sons are much older than when we skied it before and seem keen to go back for the views and experience. Personally, I have other priorities, but I believe in democracy!

Link to piste map: https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/dam/jcr:24e65194-51d4-4aae-9072-c34516f66d5f/Arabba%20Marmolada%20DSS%20WEB.pdf
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't remember seeing any information board and there's no sign of one in this video.

I also don't know of any video feed or live source of the likely queue times.

I suspect once you've gone past the last lift your only option if you change your mind is to walk the 600m or so back up the shallow slope.

http://youtube.com/v/UME9NOM7alk
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is no sign that I’m aware of but a good indicator is when you get to the 2 man chair above Arabba, number 10 on your piste map, if there is a big queue it will be busy. Last time we tried it from Selva there was a massive queue there so we didn’t bother & we only do it if staying at Arabba or as last year staying in Allege got the bus there early.
We have done it from Selva in the past but if you do try, definitely get the first lift & don’t hang about!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for this new thread. never been to the Dolomites, but it's deffo on the To Do list. (have been to Sestriere 20 years ago. and Livigno as a kid. so not a total Italy virgin)
Great to have a central (non-weather) point of lots of Dolly info.

it's just a case of wrapping my head around "it's not the three valleys" mentality and that stuff is not as linked together. and it's a very different experience.
Please keep the suggestions and info coming people.

Where would people suggest as a dolomites first timer. With 3 kids, who will likely be in ski school in mornings. Oh and my wife and I are snowboarders.
Very used to Ski-in/Ski Out and three valleys vibe. Not keen on buses, or walking far to get to the days 1st lift.
(last year and this year was La Croisette in Les Menuires. Perfect for kids ski school, cheapo self catered apartment. not fussed about apres)
Arraba ? Civetta ? (Hidden Valley does sound fun, and worth doing once. though appreciate it's a mission. Keen to try Marmoulade )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apartments seem to be a bit thin on the ground. They do exist but not in the numbers of most French places.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@UtahGetMeTwo, there are some hotels in Selva that are just about ski in/ski out. Next to the Nives nursery slopes. We stayed (and are staying this March) in the Acadia, though it’s adults only. Right next to Nives drag. There are other hotels round there. Some hotels just about on slopes on the Ciampinoi side.

Selva puts you right on the SR, and has good access to Ortesi etc
snow report
Guys, I’m throwing in an opposing view point - for most skiers the Marmolada is the most over rated piste in the area! did it for the second time last week, a pain to get to and several miles of ice & bumps so if that’s your thing, and you like a challenge, go for it Very Happy

I wondered if it was just us that weren’t keen so discussed with two instructors this week, both said it’s ok in March, one said get there first thing in the morning the other basically said he usually fobs clients off when they ask to go! Great views and good hot chocolate at the rifugio though.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 25-01-24 19:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@UtahGetMeTwo, we normally get an apartment and have found Alta Badia quite good for that.

Corvara sounds appropriate for you we are there atm and less than 100m walk from two pistes. But you need to plan ahead, the good places get booked up very quickly so plan for 2024 now and aim to book in the next few months. Try the local tourist board web site, oh and many places are 100% refundable up until 2 or 3 months before you arrive so risk free booking ahead. We didn’t pay a penny for the current apartment until December. La Villa is also in Alta Badia and there are apartments a short walk from the pistes and ski school meeting point. It’s normally cheaper than Corvara presumably because you’re a couple of lifts away from the Sella Ronda.

Tourist board website

https://www.altabadia.org/en/hotel-alps/hotels-accommodation-online-search.html

I’m sure similar Ts&Cs will apply to Val Gardena and Arabba.
ski holidays
@richb67, good comments. I’m going in March but won’t be able to get there first thing as am in Selva, diametrically opposite. For similar “hassle” criteria I’m not bothered about hidden valley. I did actually do La Longia last March which was good, though there’s a fair amount of hassle to get there and more so to get back with cable car queues…
ski holidays
@richb67, I only ever book cancellable accommodation- and book well in advance.

Corvara indeed has lots of hotels nearly on the pistes. Possibly a touch cheaper than Selva? Some close to piste in Colfosco too.
snow report
@buchanan101, yes Colfosco is a good suggestion, we were only saying that the other day when on one of the Gondolas!
ski holidays
@richb67, thanks so much for this. Appreciate it.
ski holidays
@richb67, thanks so much for this. Appreciate it.
snow conditions
@richb67, I skied Marmolada on Thursday the week before last - got there by 0930, hero snow, sunshine (until skiing into the cloud inversion near the bottom) and not busy. Just wonderful. The last time I did it, it was much more difficult, with chopped up new snow. So I guess it all depends on the conditions.
ski holidays
@olderscot and @Tony111, thanks for your responses and suggestions re: Marmolada.
snow report
richb67 wrote:
Guys, I’m throwing in an opposing view point - for most skiers the Marmolada is the most over rated piste in the area! did it for the second time last week, a pain to get to and several miles of ice & bumps so if that’s your thing, and you like a challenge, go for it Very Happy

@richb67, your comment chimes with my hazy recollection from some years back.

Hurtle wrote:
I skied Marmolada on Thursday the week before last - got there by 0930, hero snow, sunshine (until skiing into the cloud inversion near the bottom) and not busy. Just wonderful. The last time I did it, it was much more difficult, with chopped up new snow. So I guess it all depends on the conditions.

@Hurtle, that sounds more appealing. However, I think the chances of me getting everyone to Marmolada suitably early from Selva are non-existent! rolling eyes
snow report
If you’re in Val Gardena on the evening of Saturday 3 February 2024, you might like to check out the Skijöring event from 6pm at the Seceda gondola base station in Ortisei. Looks a lot of fun! Literally drag racing by horse-towed skiers from rival ski schools!! Shocked Plus DJ music, drinks, etc.

Details here: https://www.valgardena.it/en/detail/base/events/dolomites-val-gardena-skijoering-2024/F4F1F8CFFBF54E8D91146E98ABF46E1E/03-02-2024/

Video of last year’s event here:

http://youtube.com/v/Zik5IbEn_gY?feature=shared
ski holidays
@buchanan101, @richb67,
Corvara is looking like it ticks the boxes. (have found a place for 2025 on VRBO - (other booking sites are available) which is great.
my next questions are: Ski School & Transfer companies from the airport ? Any suggestions ? (we don't mind a long transfer if it means a better price on flights... obvs not flying to naples...)
snow conditions
British Airways to Venice from LHR is always good value and then a hire car from there is the cheapest option (depending on how many of you there are - there is the option of a bus to Cortina and then change to another bus to get to Corvara.) This year I'm paying £88 for a Jeep renegade type car for the week and it's about a 2h 45m drive.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@UtahGetMeTwo, I can’t advise on ski school but we are off to Corvara tomorrow. We’ve booked a private transfer from Venice for 4 people for 600 euro return with Venice Cabs. There is the Cortina express which involves a change of bus in Corvara (40 min wait) but the timings didn’t work for our return flight. There is also a shared transfer option from INN which is worth looking into which is on the Alta Badia tourist board website. Car hire is really cheap from Venice too, but we didn’t fancy driving and would need a big car for all of us plus luggage. Hope that helps.
ski holidays
@olderscot, £88 for a Renegade for a week is Insane !! congrats. is that not a per day price ?
snow report
No, that's for the 7 days. Venice has lots of hire cars for tourists in the summer and the comparatively low demand in winter means very reasonable prices for us skiers. Currently prices on holiday autos for an SUV start at around £55 for the week of 3rd to 10th Feb.
latest report
@surferrosa, thanks for this transfer tip. appreciate it.
any reason you went to Venice not Innsbruck, better/cheaper flights ?
snow report
Ski schools in Corvara are essentially the Corvara Ski School. https://www.scuolascicorvara.it/en/corvara-ski-school.php

I've always found them to be great and we've done group and private lessons with them.
snow report
@olderscot, wow - that's actually astonishing. good to know.
snow conditions
That is for the week before half term. If you're going during half term then they start at about £105, £135 for a Renegade.
ski holidays
@UtahGetMeTwo, The flights to Venice were really cheap (we're with BA, LHR-VCE came in at around £400 for all 4 of us, inc baggage) and we didn't know about the INN transfer option when we booked. I'm not sure if it's a new thing as I saw it fairly recently advertised on social media. Here's a link..
https://www.altabadia.org/en/events/airport-shuttle.html
ski holidays
I'm pretty sure that Innsbruck shuttle is new this year but it looks pretty good for transfers to Corvara.
ski holidays
@surferrosa, thanks for the link and info. I guess it depends what flights we find, and will then figure it out from there. how long is the Venice to Dolomites (private) transfer ? (Have you done it before?)
snow report
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
@surferrosa, thanks for this transfer tip. appreciate it.
any reason you went to Venice not Innsbruck, better/cheaper flights ?

For next season the Brenner pass could have issues due to the work for a new rail tunnel
This is info I was given second hand and I've not hunted out the details
I know one of the TOs has moved their Italy resorts from Innsbruck to Verona.
Verona would be a longer transfer for us but probably less weather issues getting into airport?
latest report
@UtahGetMeTwo, About 2 hours, 15 mins from Venice Airport I believe...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy