Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2023-2024 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Rowlski wrote:
@soren507, very good of you to organise a nice dump of snow for me as you depart Toofy Grin

Fingers crossed lots for you which you leave in tip top condition for me! Laughing

@Rowlski, I'm due out on the 13th, then @Kennyboyo, the 20th, with @soren507, sometime after that... with sods law being as it is and dumping as we leave, you're going to have metres of the stuff! Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rowlski wrote:
Thanks @BAN and @jirac18, good to know. Hopefully there'll be some good skiing in and around Samoens area itself but I'm sure we'll want to go over to Flaine at least once.

Any favourite runs to recommend? Hoping not crazy busy, checked and the French school hols start the next weekend

Les Carroz has some really good runs Timalets Marmotte and Plein Soliel. Looping around those through the trees is good fun if light is flat. Sairon into Morillon 1100 is a long cruisy blue. Another marmotte from tete de saix towards Samoens is good fun too. If the snow improves and you are staying in Samoen you won’t need to go to Flaine there’s plenty of great skiing between the other villages. All runs very long from the top some with short black and reds off to the side connecting back further down.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Apparently Flaine has gotten a healthy dump today per reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/skiing/s/pxmYmMnIrj

Exciting to see if Aouija and the others down to Colouvrier will get enough to open soon - show altitude is dropping rapidly these days ive read. On-site reports tomorrow welcomed wink Looked real snowy on the webcams today in Samoens 1600 too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great stuff! Very promising.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rallied the family to head over to Les Carroz today and I'm actually glad we went. Snow was good down to about 1500m or so, lowest it's been in a while. Visibility was terrible with a very heavy cloud layer from about 1800m and up. We played in the trees under Tete des Saix on the Carroz side and had a fun couple of hours. Thought about trying to get above it at Flaine but it didn't look very promising on the webcams at all. Kids are motivated to go back again tomorrow before heading back to school on Monday so we'll see what happens.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@coldrainsnow, great stuff bud, thanks for the update. Nice to hear you and the fam had a good day out. Very Happy

Is the snowline at 1500 or are you saying that snow to 1500 is good, below not so good?

Was looking at the Foret webcam earlier, cars had a good few cm’s on them. Reports suggesting heaviest snow today/overnight. Should be a good week for anyone just arriving. Obviously hoping it dumps heavy all next week ready for my trip week after. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Is the snowline at 1500 or are you saying that snow to 1500 is good, below not so good?

Yeah it's cold so the official snowline is a bit lower, there was a dusting down to 1000m or so. It's pretty thin on the pistes at and below 1500 though, especially compared to the wonderful stuff up higher. I think Flaine got some really good snow last night and more on the way tonight. I can't wait for the skies to clear a bit more! Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fantastic. Let’s hope you get a good day tomorrow. I’m assuming you’re heading back to the UK ref the school comment, last day tomorrow?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for update, @coldrainsnow ! Where exactly are those trees? Somewhere near Corbalanche?
Took my beginner nephew down Marvel today. Went past a a sign which said thin snow. In fact 30 feet of mud almost at end. Never skied on it before. ‘Stuck in the mud’ has new meaning!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Fantastic. Let’s hope you get a good day tomorrow. I’m assuming you’re heading back to the UK ref the school comment, last day tomorrow?

Actually I'm lucky enough to live here, across the valley just above Cluses. So we're not heading anywhere, but the kids are going back to school!!!

Quote:

Where exactly are those trees? Somewhere near Corbalanche?

Yeah, there's fun stuff toward the bottom of Corbalanche as well as the sides of Marmotte and Biollaire too. Snow was okay toward the bottom of Gron still. Vis was a nightmare at the top of Corbalanche though, literally couldn't see a thing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@coldrainsnow, fantastic. I’m jealous! I’m stuck up in the north of Scotland about an hour north of Aviemore… it’s just not the same! Laughing

Well, as I said, I’m out with my 16 year old son next Sat for a week. I’m a sociable guy (mostly, lol) so if you fancy a ski and meeting up please let me know, if that’s your thing of course! Or anyone else for that matter.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Vis rubbish today, a bit better lower down but still not great. Has been snowing lightly all day so the pistes above about 1500m are in reasonable condition. The top of Tourmaline was quite tricky because of the poor vis. Can't see the top of the DMC or Aup de Varan so I assume the vis is very poor there as well.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Webcams showing a good dump. Even a dusting at Sixt be the looks of it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yup @Chris Mason, vis was terrible again today lol, but at least it was snowing pretty steadily. We stuck to Les Carroz again and there was a small band of elevation that was okay in the trees, basically on Grond and Molliets chairlifts. Went up to Tete des Saix once and it was nuts, complete whiteout, zero vis and very heavy winds. The powder looks great up there though, when this bluebird day comes Tues or Wed it's gonna be on!!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@coldrainsnow,
I'll say it once, but I'll say it loud.
When that day comes:

GERS!

And after that

GERS

And repeat...
snow report
Vis in the Flaine bowl was much better this morning but clouds rolled in around midday. Snow was in good condition and the off piste was OK, if a little heavy.
snow conditions
Sitting in the car park at cluses station right now and it’s snowing down here. Not heavy, but it’s there
ski holidays
@nbt, yeah it's snowing pretty well up at 1000m right now! @Chris Mason, glad the vis was better than the weekend, although that's not saying much. Laughing @rungsp, GERS! GERS! GERS!!! Very Happy

Kids get out of school at noon tomorrow so we'll head up for an afternoon sesh!
snow report
Coverage was good on Wednesday everywhere still but interestingly enough it didn't feel like GM got as much snow as we did at our house at 1000m above Cluses across the valley. Maybe I was trippin' or maybe the Tuesday night storm was very localized in places.

Snow was good on the top half of Flaine off-piste, as usual, but definitely heavy like Chris said. SkiMo championships were set up on the lowest pitch of Faust which was kind of cool to watch for a bit, they run so fast uphill haha!!!

We're maybe going to head up for this afternoon again if my little guy wants to go, he gets out of school again at noon... then heading up for a day of family fun on Saturday, although right now it's all about trying to keep my teenager in-bounds as much as we can, which is of course a futile effort.
ski holidays
Hi all - booked a trip to Flaine a few weeks ago and heading there next Friday.

Am usually in Tignes / Val D’Isere.

How bad is this rain on Wednesday / Thursday up to high levels.

Is it worth cancelling the trip for or do pistes hold up okay generally. Anyone been out after a couple of days of rain that affect high up.

Not used to rain at Tignes rolling eyes
snow conditions
@samendacott, I'm not in resort so can't comment in that regard, and having never been to La Grand Massif (heading there this Sat for the first time) area at all, I am far from an expert. However, I've just checked both the Sixt and Morillon webcams. Still a dusting at Sixt which is very low at 850m, looks like resonable cover at Morillon at 1100m. As far as I can tell from afar, all looks OK at the moment.

https://www.haut-giffre.co.uk/im-here/webcams/
ski holidays
Flaine pistes seem to handle the rain pretty well. The real issue is that off piste the top layer of snow can become icy, heavy, ‘powder’ and extremely hard work for skiers, but OK for boarders.
And, of course, not pleasant when skiing in lower half of slopes because inevitably gear gets damp.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 11-01-24 11:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Boofont, I think @samendacott is talking about the forecast for next Wed and Thurs the 17/18. Snow is great in the resort right now! Smile

But yes just like @BAN said Flaine is a good option even when rain comes through. There's a lot of skiing you can do above 2000m if you just stick to the top half of the bowl. Also as I'm sure you know a week out is forever in weather forecasting... there's lots of debate over what the snowline and weather pattern will actually shake out to be. 100m up or down can make a ton of difference!
ski holidays
Fun afternoon today up in Flaine, beautiful sunshine and blue skies!! Mountain was super tracked out despite I think the snow being a bit better yesterday. Gers was open!! I was solo with my 11 year old, who is shredding blacks and off-piste, but I don't think he's quite ready to drop in yet. Wink Looked stellar though.
snow report
For those going out this weekend e.g @boofont, looks like Coulouvrier will open according to the Grand Massif website https://www.grand-massif.com/votre-sejour/pass-ski/
snow conditions
Looks like a bit more opening up which is great, including Aouia which would be useful. Enjoy those out there soon Very Happy

Brief warm up, let's hope for temp drop and some more snow after that.
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:
@coldrainsnow,
I'll say it once, but I'll say it loud.
When that day comes:

GERS!

And after that

GERS

And repeat...

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
@Bergmeister, Gers is considered the best black in the GM by decent skiers, often unpisted. Often closed too so, when open, you go for it snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well the circus is in town! Had a fun day at Flaine today but wow was it crowded.... traffic jam all the way through Les Carroz both on the way up and the way down, people parked on the highway, and all sorts of absurdities witnessed on piste lol. We made the most of it still and the off-piste snow in the top half of the bowl is still quite good even though it's all tracked out by now. Had our 14 y-o son's friend with us from school so took him on some fun stuff that he didn't normally do. Combe de Veret was great snow and the tire-fess was open. GERS was open too but alas I didn't make it over. Now it even looks like we'll get a bit of snow on Sunday night!

I imagine it will be crazy busy tomorrow too, so if you're heading up leave early. We weren't here during the Noel holidays but this was by far the busiest non-holiday date I've been there this season or last.
ski holidays
First day here for me. Wasn’t that busy, IMO anyway. Didn’t venture far from Flaine. Snow was good. First run down from Grand Vans was Ok. Up the DMC, did a load up there, all good. Mephisto and Minos both good. Did the two blacks that are open. Agate was good but my lad moaned at the moguls, lol. Diamant Noir was lovely, loved that step section, great snow on there on the left edge of the piste.

I believe some snow is forecast so we shall see what the next few days brings us. Need to try and motivate my 16 year old, I think I’ve broke him on day one! NehNeh

Off for a few beers and some grub later. Happy days!
latest report
@Boofont, nice! I'm glad it wasn't too busy, maybe everybody got it out of their system yesterday haha. Fingers crossed this rain event moves through quickly, I'm hopeful that the top half of the bowl gets dumped on and Friday/Saturday are wonderful.....
snow report
@Boofont, sounds like a good start, I'd expect the teenager to have more stamina Very Happy

Another thread drift question apologies. 3 weeks and counting for me, staying in Samoens village, not 1600, I'm thinking best to use the ski storage place which I think is near the top of the Grands Massif Express gondola. Do they let you book the lockers there if you hire from elsewhere does anyone know? Might hire from there though their website isn't as easy to use as some.

Fingers crossed the rain level drops a bit from the forecast, looks like it would be above the Samoens area Weds/Thurs Confused
ski holidays
@Rowlski, lol. Yeah, he’s being a typical moody teenager. To be honest, he’s much fitter than me so we shall see how we get on over the week. His technique on the steep and mogul stuff holds him back a bit. What I don’t tell him is that I find some of it hard going too. I just make out all’s good and it’s him. Dreadful dad that I am. Toofy Grin

I don’t know ref the ski storage I can’t answer but if we head that way I’ll see if I can find out. I googled “grand massif express ski lockers” and it brought up a few hits from snowheads where it’s been asked before.

Looks like the weather isn’t the best for my week but can’t change that. Let’s hope it doesn’t rain.
snow report
Quote:

Looks like the weather isn’t the best for my week but can’t change that. Let’s hope it doesn’t rain.

Yup, where this snowline ends up on Wednesday is going to mean a lot. A few hundred meters in either direction and that will change things. Right now I'm just trying to manifest a ton of fresh powder up high on Thursday and a sunny day on Friday!!!!
snow report
Light dusting of snow overnight. I call it snow, more like ice crystals. Currently overcast, cloud line above top stations.

First image zoomed in looking up to top of DMC. Second in landscape showing DMC to the left and Aup de Veran and Lindars Nord in the centre.

snow report
Rowlski wrote:
@Boofont, sounds like a good start, I'd expect the teenager to have more stamina Very Happy

Another thread drift question apologies. 3 weeks and counting for me, staying in Samoens village, not 1600, I'm thinking best to use the ski storage place which I think is near the top of the Grands Massif Express gondola. Do they let you book the lockers there if you hire from elsewhere does anyone know? Might hire from there though their website isn't as easy to use as some.

Fingers crossed the rain level drops a bit from the forecast, looks like it would be above the Samoens area Weds/Thurs Confused

We used Xtreme glisse near the valley gondola station in Samoens: https://maps.app.goo.gl/sEH6fEZHqQ751oq89
You can rent a locker here - I think it was E28 for 8 days (1 year ago). It worked well - not to far to bootlick to the gondola and good if you end your day in Sixt (or Morillon) and bus back. Bakery next door (B'fast on the gondola a good use of time IMV!)
latest report
I was going to say the same about Xtremegliss and Tiffany's the bakers!

@boofont - have a fantastic week, snow looks good and hopefully the teenager will perk up soon.
latest report
Great day today. Vis a bit flat. Up DMC across to Aujon to do the three short blues there, they were lovely even in the flat light.

Started snowing about 11am for a few hours. Not a mega dump but the snow was proper snow rather than icy stuff.

Bashed over to Les Carroz and did a load of runs there, got a bit lost but all part of the fun. Chamois was sublime, had fun on the two blacks over there too, Felire was a blast! I took a wee tumble (nothing major, ski tails crossed in a heavy/soft mogul as I was trying to turn out of it) much to my annoyance! The boy obviously thought it was hilarious. I don’t fall often but when I do he likes to let me know about it… just in case I didn’t know, rolling eyes

Was hoping for lunch at Les Carroz but didn’t seem to be anything at the bottom of the bubble (Kedeuze I think?)? Anyway, place at the top was ok but by which time was a bit late so grabbed a beer! Boy had some French soda-pop! Noted it was cheapest place yet which was surprising, pommes frites at just over €5. We normally do “chip advisor” and try loads of different places comparing the best frites so will go back and report on that one!

Headed back and went up DMC again for Mephsito but the wind was so strong it was dire! Didn’t need to do any turns in it, the wind held our speed off. Was going to pick up the Diamant Noir chair but that was closed (wind?) so came down and then up Tete Des Verdes to avoid that god-awful step in 2-man lift thing!

Teenage nugget smashed it today. Got his mojo back and I even let him beat me on a few runs. Laughing

Will be heading back up Grand Vans tomorrow and breaking left again, best runs on that side of the map IMO at the mo.

Anyway, despite the viz being naff it was a great day and there really is some great snow out there. Anyone coming out should enjoy it. Hopefully the rain that’s potentially on its was won’t ruin things.

Will update in the morning if it snows overnight! Bonsoir mes amis!
ski holidays
Boofont wrote:
...Was going to pick up the Diamant Noir chair but that was closed (wind?) so came down and then up Tete Des Verdes to avoid that god-awful step in 2-man lift thing!

That was always known as The Yogurt Pots in our day Smile

It's OK, very useful, and certainly different (I've never seen another).
snow report
billb wrote:
@Bergmeister, Gers is considered the best black in the GM by decent skiers, often unpisted. Often closed too so, when open, you go for it snowHead

Gers is never pisted except the mini escape track at the top which allows weaklings to return to civilisation Razz
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy