Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2023-2024 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
We'll probably give it a go if the snow is OK, thanks. Wonder if when I post it capitalises Morillon?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Chattonmill, Turns out it must just be my phone keyboard that likes yelling MORILLON… snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reports all. We're coming back into town on Tuesday, hoping the LPN drops a bit and we get some fresh for the end of next week!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not one to take advice and run... Wonderful day in Flaine, up for the first lift and had a fantastic hour of empty pistes.
Snow up top was great having had a top up.
lower down was changeable, some blown stuff which was scratchy but still nice.
10. 30 saw an influx of people suddenly busy.
All in all a great day off to somewhere else tomorrow. But where?!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Chattonmill, Great news that you had a good day! Worth the drive to Flaine to avoid the masses. It’s going to snow plenty tomorrow! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi guys. Looking at a last min trip and considering Flaine, largely due to it being close to GVA. Having never been, what’s it like? Will be me and my 16 year old son, both reasonable skiers. Is the town itself ok?

Current option is a packaged deal but I would consider booking accommodation and transfer myself if anyone is able to offer some suggestions please?

Thanks. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boofont wrote:
Hi guys. Looking at a last min trip and considering Flaine, largely due to it being close to GVA. Having never been, what’s it like? Will be me and my 16 year old son, both reasonable skiers. Is the town itself ok?

Current option is a packaged deal but I would consider booking accommodation and transfer myself if anyone is able to offer some suggestions please?

Thanks. Very Happy

What are you looking for, eg high mileage piste, off piste, village etc.?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Boofont, my 17yo daughter and I have done Flaine for 4-day breaks for the past couple of years. For similar main reason - ease/speed of transfer from Geneva. But also, great range of slopes, we ski about 60km/day and get around most of the pistes of Flaine plus 4 villages in that time. Never ventured off-piste so can't vouch for that. Flaine itself is ugly but practical, decent supermarket, enough restaurants/snack places for a bit of variety. No nightlife to speak of, but we weren't looking for that. We stayed at Rockypop hotel (5 min walk from slopes), I've heard good things about Totem hotel too. Or loads of self-catering apartments available too. GoMassif for private or shared transfers. We've stayed at the lower villages in the past too (Les Carroz, Samoens) which have more going on and more attractive, but we found the gondalas up to the slopes a busy pinch-point. Already pencilling in a return visit next year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Timnewham, thanks very much. Very helpful.

@Kennyboyo, we do like to bash out some miles but only on piste. With his age (and mine for that matter as I’m a boring 51 year old, lol), nightlife isn’t what we’re looking for.

Trying to keep costs down as much as poss. It’s a cheaper transfer for example than other resorts. Probably looking SC over a hotel but would consider anything if the price is right.

Accepting that France is expensive in general for eating out etc, how does Flaine compare with other resorts? Was in VT last Jan, that was pricey. €8 a beer!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bluebird powder morning in Flaine. Superb at the top but hard underneath below 1800 metres.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BAN wrote:
Bluebird powder morning in Flaine. Superb at the top but hard underneath below 1800 metres.

Here’s to many more in 2024! Happy new year all!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
[quote="Boofont"]@Timnewham, thanks very much. Very helpful.

@Kennyboyo, we do like to bash out some miles but only on piste. With his age (and mine for that matter as I’m a boring 51 year old, lol), nightlife isn’t what we’re looking for.

Trying to keep costs down as much as poss. It’s a cheaper transfer for example than other resorts. Probably looking SC over a hotel but would consider anything if the price is right.

Accepting that France is expensive in general for eating out etc, how does Flaine compare with other resorts? Was in VT last Jan, that was pricey. €8 a beer![/quote

High piste mileage - Flaine and surrounds will do it. If you like piste skiing among trees the long runs down to Morillon and Les Carroz are lovely (assuming there's decent snow when you go). Flaine skiing is more treeless on the higher pistes but great motorway skiing all the same. The connection over the mountain from Flaine to the other villages and vice versa can be heavily tracked by late morning / afternoon but worth enduring. If you're looking at the Grand Massif piste map, I personally like the Flaine runs on the right hand side (right of the Grand Platieres gondola). Serpentine is a nice long run too but can be busy. Cascade is a much trumpeted run - very scenic but a lot of poling and more closed than open.

Transfer wise, always hired a car, so can't really speak for bus / taxi transfers, so others may be able to help.

A couple of self catering apartment blocks at Flaine Foret near the Grand Vans lift (not pricey if I recall and have multiple sizes / configurations) might suit for budget and max skiing mileage. Not stayed at Flaine Forum but that also has many self cater apartments Night life is limited in Flaine but that's not a deal breaker for you.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Kennyboyo, thanks. Very helpful.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am potentially thinking of Flaine (or Samoens/Morillon) for a short break middle of the week w/b 19th Feb. Are there usually massive bottlenecks of people at the access lifts from Morillon/Samoens during this period where I think French school holidays are still going?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Am potentially thinking of Flaine (or Samoens/Morillon) for a short break middle of the week w/b 19th Feb. Are there usually massive bottlenecks of people at the access lifts from Morillon/Samoens during this period where I think French school holidays are still going?

I mean yeah, there can be big bottlenecks throughout the massif during the February holiday weekends. Plus this year I think it's a double dose of locals/Paris/Marseille all having breaks during the same two weeks. Last year we got a bit of a staggered scenario where the locals got a week without Paris and Marseille lol.

I think it was answered earlier in the thread, but especially toward the end of the day the queues heading back to the other stations from Flaine can get bottled up, and the pistes can get tracked and moguled too, which can turn into quite an interesting scenario when combined with beginner skiers trying to get back to where they started.
ski holidays
Well that's me booked for a week, 13th Jan. Thanks very much for the help @Kennyboyo and @Timnewham. Staying SC in Résidence Les Terrasses de Veret, my son and I. Got what I think was a good deal. A 6 person 3 room apartment (2 bedrooms and living area) and lift passes X2 for £1088. Add in flights and transfers and that's £1696.

Ref GoMassif who I've used for the transfer, do they have their own desk after baggage claim or is it a guy with a name card etc?

Anyone else out there that week? I'm quite sociable if anyone wants to meet up?
snow report
@boofont - that's great news. You're going the week before I go - forecast looks decent for the coming week or so, fingers crossed for some snow down to 1100m and you'll be having some great options of long runs into Morillon and Les Carroz or playing around Flaine. Looks like you got yourself a good size apartment for the 2 of you - I think they're good value, nothing fancy but very convenient for all ski areas. Happy sliding!
ski holidays
@Boofont, nice choice, I don't know that block specifically but it's a great location and that feels like a good deal. The bars/bistros just to the west of the block are decent (though still no change from EU8 for a pint...). GoMassif have a desk in the airport - as you exit departure hall, turn left, then about 50m on your right.
snow report
@boofont stayed at that accommodation over Xmas a matter of days ago for equally cheap price. We were really pleased as was very good value & we really liked what the apartments had to offer, including the warm swimming pool & jacuzzi. Good beds & neat rooms etc, very convenient for slopes. We did however have a 4 year old so weren’t bothered about kids having the run on the spa/pool area, it was a relief that there were no restrictions in this sense. I imagine this accommodation might be less appealing with no young kids but then we were there in school holidays so might not have the same feel, plus with an older child you’ll probably be solely skiing nearly all the time.
ski holidays
@Rh2205, thanks. Booked through Sunweb, with the lift pass costing around £600 for the two of us, that’s a good price I think. We don’t need as much room as we’ve got but guess they needed to shift the apartment. Think it was around a 30% saving.

Correct, we’ll be out for most of the day. Maybe use the pool. Did you eat in each night or out? Recommendations for food perhaps?
ski holidays
With the 4 year old & strict French eating times, we have zero recommendations. Except for Paris I don’t really like eating out in France, seems the food standard is generally much lower than in the UK. We went to France 3 times in the last year & every meal was a disappointment even after researching, but then I have high standards. The Belgium’s we made friends with said they had good sushi from the one sushi place in Flaine-forum & also a nice Christmas dinner in sabaudia so worth a try if you don’t want to self cater whole time, there was also apparently an acceptable pizza place immediately next to the apartments but our child doesn’t like pizza so wasn’t much use to us.
latest report
Kennyboyo wrote:
forecast looks decent for the coming week or so, fingers crossed for some snow down to 1100m and you'll be having some great options of long runs into Morillon and Les Carroz or playing around Flaine.

Seeing reports of 64cm over the next 7 days. Currently there are 107 of 163 runs open, should I be optimistic and expect more? Looks like one or two open down to 1600m (Samoens Les Saix) and 1100m (Morillon Lex Esserts), few more would be great although I know it is what it is, or will be should I say!

What about Piste des Cascades? Is that one of them runs that is never open short of a mega dump?
snow report
Best to be pessimistic which makes every snowdrop / open piste a bonus Very Happy but forecast still looking okay from Meteo France and Meteoblue. If dumpage is too large, they sometimes take a few days to flatten out all the pistes (like January last season after the enormous snowfalls), but most would be open.

Cascades needs snow down to about 800m where the piste ends, hence the very infrequent opening. Flaine is also very rocky so needs more than a few cms to cover. My personal opinion is that, unless you really need to tick that Cascades box or value scenery over actual piste quality, I wouldn't bother. That said, I do enjoy the last bits of the run where it narrows and is between cliff edge (with netting) and trees.
ski holidays
Had a great bluebird afternoon at Flaine today, wisely taking a sleepy morning to get over the jetlag and let the clouds clear out a bit. Snow was very nice up top, a little thin in parts near the bottom of some runs and the highly trafficked spots were definitely moguled by 16h. Conditions were perfect on Diamant Noir and the entertainment factor was there too. Lift lines were noticeably crowded at 14h after the lunch rush but not too bad besides that.

Quote:

Seeing reports of 64cm over the next 7 days. Currently there are 107 of 163 runs open, should I be optimistic and expect more? Looks like one or two open down to 1600m (Samoens Les Saix) and 1100m (Morillon Lex Esserts), few more would be great although I know it is what it is, or will be should I say!

What about Piste des Cascades? Is that one of them runs that is never open short of a mega dump?

Right now coverage is quite good above 1700m or so and not very good under that. It does look like the LPN is dropping significantly so maybe they'll be able to open some of the lower runs. Fingers crossed. Even without those there will be plenty to ski with a bit more snow down low.

Cascades was only open for a brief time last year and even then it was sheer ice on the final descent into Sixt. It's worth doing if the snow is good, but probably not worth doing if it's not. There are quite a few flat sections so make sure your patinoire is up to speed.

64cm looks way more optimistic than what I'm looking at, but I sure hope that's the case!!!
snow report
Thanks for the onsite report - I'll be there from the 20th Jan so fingers crossed for that 64cms of flakes or whatever volume decides to descend, as long as it isn't rain.
snow report
Thanks guys. I hear what you’re saying ref Cascades, I just like to tick off the runs so would be nice for that reason only.

I too thought 64cm was over-egging a bit, and we all know how it works with snow reports, believe it when it happens! Anyway, it never dumps massive until your last night in resort right? rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

Thanks guys. I hear what you’re saying ref Cascades, I just like to tick off the runs so would be nice for that reason only.

Oh it's definitely worth doing once if conditions are decent. The whole valley back there in Sixt is really gorgeous in the winter.
ski holidays
Cascades is sort of fun, but if you access from Flaine starting with Gers you are skiing what I think is absolutely the best lift served off piste area in Europe (if you have the snow).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Out in Samoens for 4 days first weekend in Feb. I think that's before the main French holidays, is that right?

How long does it take roughly to get from Samoens to the Flaine area as assuming that's likely to be where the best snow is/will be?

Fingers crossed for more snow ahead of then, the colder weather looks promising, some though not lots of snow in the forecast it seems ... fingers crossed!
snow conditions
Long time since I did it, but I’d expect it would be at least 45 minutes from base of Samoens to Flaine.
latest report
@Rowlski, from Samoens town, the GME gondola is 8 mins to 1600m. Ski down about 1 minute to the Chariande Express which takes 8 minutes upto the top of Têtes des saix. Ski down to the bottom of Vernant lift takes about 5 mins and the Vernant lift is then 3-4 minutes up. Ski down Tourmaline 10 mins into Flaine bowl.
So allowing for queues and speed of skiing @BAN, is pretty spot on with 45 mins (less if you hoof it and no queues)
snow report
Thanks @BAN and @jirac18, good to know. Hopefully there'll be some good skiing in and around Samoens area itself but I'm sure we'll want to go over to Flaine at least once.

Any favourite runs to recommend? Hoping not crazy busy, checked and the French school hols start the next weekend
ski holidays
Quote:

Any favourite runs to recommend? Hoping not crazy busy, checked and the French school hols start the next weekend

It's all good at Flaine, honestly. Faust is probably my favorite pisted run over there, although the second to last pitch from the bottom can get icy and scraped quickly. Crystal usually has good snow up top, and Serpentine is a good way to get back to the Grand Vans lift but can get very crowded during the day. Mephisto all the way from the top has great views and you have a couple of options to cut off on toward the bottom third to avoid crowds down low. Lucipher is often left unpisted late into the season and is nice after fresh snow. Diamont Noir and Agate are great if the snow is good, and well if the Gers Bowl is open and you are up for some off piste and a diesel tire-fesse out then you can easily spend a whole day over there. If the snow is good and you're heading back to Samoens anyway you should end the day with a run down Cascades and then catch the bus back from Sixt.

Don't feel like you always have to wait in the queue for the DMC if you don't want to - you can also get to the very top via the telesieges - Tete des Verds > either Diamont Noir or Desert Blanc. I guess people like the warmth of the telecabine but I will never understand why most folks wait so long for the DMC when you could hop on two chairs and get up a lot quicker.
snow conditions
Quote:

Hopefully there'll be some good skiing in and around Samoens area itself but I'm sure we'll want to go over to Flaine at least once.

Also agree with the 45 mins ish. Maybe 35 if you speed down and miss any queues.
@Rowlski i can officially confirm that you will have a huge dump of snow just when you arrive, as i'm leaving on thurs the 2nd of feb. You're welcome wink

As for runs i think Cascade is kinda overrated. Many flat, flat parts, albeit with a nice view. But many runs have just as nice views imo.

Some of my favorite cruisers are Marvel down to Morillon (Though it often is slushy in the end - but still way less slush than Cascades), Les Chars down to Colouvrier, Plein Soleil, Silice Malice, Tourmaline and Serpentine (after the initial flat parts at les Platieres). Serpentine, Marvel and especially Silice Malice has some incredible side piste/very mild off-piste on open areas anyone can do.

Steeper favourites are Lucifer, Faust and some of the runs down from Tete de Lindars that i can't remember from eachother. Going for the 4th time and still haven't tried close to every slope, but it's a great underrated skiing area in my opinion.
snow report
@coldrainsnow, @soren507, Thanks for the comments ref your recommended runs. Really helpful and getting me excited to visit, having never skied Le Grand Massif before.

soren507 wrote:
@Rowlski i can officially confirm that you will have a huge dump of snow just when you arrive, as i'm leaving on thurs the 2nd of feb. You're welcome wink

Isn't this always the case! Dumps like crazy as you leave!

It's only just dawned on me that a lot of my comments/questions are "off-piste" (pardon the pun! Toofy Grin ) from the OG "snow report" topic kindly started by coldrainsnow back in late Nov (thanks for starting the post!). I found the post via the search and assumed it was in the "Resort Reviews and Trip Reports" where there are similar posts. Apologies for this although I assume no one minds!
latest report
Rowlski wrote:
Out in Samoens for 4 days first weekend in Feb. I think that's before the main French holidays, is that right?

How long does it take roughly to get from Samoens to the Flaine area as assuming that's likely to be where the best snow is/will be?

Fingers crossed for more snow ahead of then, the colder weather looks promising, some though not lots of snow in the forecast it seems ... fingers crossed!

Slightly slower alternative to get from Samoens to Flaine, which I prefer, is from the top of GME, turn right down the Aouia blue to the bottom of the Coulouvrier chair which gets you to the top where the Chariande Express ends. Then follow @jirac18's direction from Tete des saix. I find the Aouia blue gives your legs a nice little warm up first thing in the morning.

Some favourite runs have already been mentioned but I'd just to throw in a few of my personal favourites near Samoens which have not mentioned yet which are all lower so much more temperature dependent - Grand Cret down to the Vercland gondola and the Paccoty / Les Chars runs to the bottom of the Coulouvrier chair. Sairon into Morillon is also fun.
snow conditions
Kennyboyo wrote:
I find the Aouia blue gives your legs a nice little warm up first thing in the morning.

Sadly Aouia currently showing as closed along with Grand Cret, Paccoty and Les Chars. Hopefully this will change with some snow if the temps stays low. Sairon open though! Very Happy
snow report
Thanks for the update, friends in Grand Massif at the moment and saying it's cold and snowing so fingers crossed they'll be open by the time you get there.
snow conditions
Many thanks for those tips, much appreciated and look forward to trying them, sorry for the thread drift.

Like the sounds of the Aouia blue legbearmer @Kennyboyo.

Snowforecast is showing dribs and drabs of snow over the next 6 days with nice lower temperatures, doesn't look like game changing amounts but useful nonetheless, fingers crossed!
ski holidays
@soren507, very good of you to organise a nice dump of snow for me as you depart Toofy Grin

Fingers crossed lots for you which you leave in tip top condition for me! Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy