Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2023-2024 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
rungsp wrote:
That was always known as The Yogurt Pots in our day Smile

It's OK, very useful, and certainly different (I've never seen another).

Lol - yogurt pots! Yeah, that’s it! I get it! Only thing I’ve seen similar is in Les Menuires. It’s not similar in design so to speak, but you step in and stand. Four of them in-line if I recall right. Very odd.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boofont wrote:
Great day today. Vis a bit flat. Up DMC across to Aujon to do the three short blues there, they were lovely even in the flat light.

Started snowing about 11am for a few hours. Not a mega dump but the snow was proper snow rather than icy stuff.

Bashed over to Les Carroz and did a load of runs there, got a bit lost but all part of the fun. Chamois was sublime, had fun on the two blacks over there too, Felire was a blast! I took a wee tumble (nothing major, ski tails crossed in a heavy/soft mogul as I was trying to turn out of it) much to my annoyance! The boy obviously thought it was hilarious. I don’t fall often but when I do he likes to let me know about it… just in case I didn’t know, rolling eyes

Was hoping for lunch at Les Carroz but didn’t seem to be anything at the bottom of the bubble (Kedeuze I think?)? Anyway, place at the top was ok but by which time was a bit late so grabbed a beer! Boy had some French soda-pop! Noted it was cheapest place yet which was surprising, pommes frites at just over €5. We normally do “chip advisor” and try loads of different places comparing the best frites so will go back and report on that one!

Headed back and went up DMC again for Mephsito but the wind was so strong it was dire! Didn’t need to do any turns in it, the wind held our speed off. Was going to pick up the Diamant Noir chair but that was closed (wind?) so came down and then up Tete Des Verdes to avoid that god-awful step in 2-man lift thing!

Teenage nugget smashed it today. Got his mojo back and I even let him beat me on a few runs. Laughing

Will be heading back up Grand Vans tomorrow and breaking left again, best runs on that side of the map IMO at the mo.

Anyway, despite the viz being naff it was a great day and there really is some great snow out there. Anyone coming out should enjoy it. Hopefully the rain that’s potentially on its was won’t ruin things.

Will update in the morning if it snows overnight! Bonsoir mes amis!

There’s a really nice place for lunch off the plein soleil run in Les Carroz. Lan Fionne it does fab paninis. Watch out for it on the right after the drag lift.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Boofont, I know that feeling on steeps and moguls so now I sympathise Very Happy Sounds like a good day despite the light and wind, hope you get a good day tomorrow, fingers crossed.

@Wildsmith, aha thanks I was thinking about using Xtreme Glisse just based on reviews and convenience to the lift but hadn't twigged they had lockers too, thanks! Also loving the bakery combo so I'm sold!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like you're hitting all the good stuff @Boofont. My wife had some business over near Morillon so I snuck up for a couple of hours in the thick of the snow haha, had lots of fun and the pistes felt great with a thin layer of fresh on top. Tried to talk her into coming up too but as it was pouring in the parking lot she couldn't imagine that the skiing would be any good up high! I stuck around Les Carroz and Samoens though because I figured the light would be super flat at Flaine and the wind was howling plenty for me on the top of Tete des Saix.

Today looks like a good day - we're hoping to get out for some touring in the Aravis but I gotta go wake her up lol. Enjoy!!! Wed + Thursday looking like a bit more of an adventure.... Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowmam wrote:
There’s a really nice place for lunch off the plein soleil run in Les Carroz. Lan Fionne it does fab paninis. Watch out for it on the right after the drag lift.

Thanks, will look out for it. Heading over that way again today, probably ski further out to Morillon.

No new snow overnight. Thin cloud high up, plenty of blue skis at the moment. Cloud is moving fast so guessing it’s windy, looking at the snow blowing off the roofs too. Think more snow is forecast, could be an interesting few days. Those out at the weekend should be greeted with fantastic conditions and looks like it will be sunny too. For now, my high-viz orange goggle lenses are staying in! Don’t think I’ll get much use out of the darkened mirrored ones this week! Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Boofont - if you're off to Morillon and you've decided to ski down Grand Cret to the bottom of the Vercland gondola, there's a good stop for lunch called La Reposette.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kennyboyo wrote:
@Boofont - if you're off to Morillon and you've decided to ski down Grand Cret to the bottom of the Vercland gondola, there's a good stop for lunch called La Reposette.

Grand Cret is closed I believe, and isn’t that Sameon?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Boofont, Vercland is halfway between Samoens and Morillon - I think it's technically part of the Samoens lift network, though it's closer to Morillon.

Reposettes is a good stop if you ski down to it, not worth a trip down in the bubble though. Grand Cret is currently closed yes

In Morillon, L'Igloo at the top of the Bergin chair and La Combe in Morillon 100 (Les Esserts) are worth visiting, CHalet d'Clair at the sop of the Sairon lift is also ok

In Les Carroz, l'Anfionne is a nice spot or a hot chocolate, not eaten there though

In Flaine, l'Epicea on the eponymous green piste did a lovely chickpea curry. La Pente a jules was nice, and if you don't mind a quick walk, Sabaudia in FLaine Foret (walk under the arch next to Grand Vans) is a firm favourite. Le 1967 in Flaine Forum is also worth checking out.

The interactive piste map is worth bookmarking, to see what runs are open: https://grandmassif.2dmap.spotlio.com/?locale=en
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nbt, thanks for comment, very helpful.

Today was simply sublime. Up Grand Vans and over to Les Carroz and Morillon. Smashed out a ton of runs over the there, some more than once. Every single one was perfect. Snow conditions are great.

No moans from teenage nugget although he is currently horizontal in his bed. Nothing more satisfying to see him broken by a fat, balding 51 year old! Laughing

Weather was mostly blue skies, cloud building in as the day went on. Cloud now sitting in very heavy, can’t see the top of Aup de Veran. Varying forecasts saying snow on the way over the next two days and possibly rain. Will have to see. I’m hoping the sun will pop back out on our last day which is Friday.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 16-01-24 17:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds like a fantastic day, shame that Grand Cret was closed, my bad for not checking if it was open before recommending La Reposette. Nothing like putting the youngsters in their place. Very Happy Have an equally fantastic day tomorrow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welp, touring didn't pan out this morning as the snow down low was no good and the wind up high was no good lol. So we loaded up the backcountry skis and headed to Flaine!! Super windy up high but we managed to find some great blown powder pockets and had a blast. I noticed Gers was open when we were at the top and casually mentioned it to my wife and she was all "let's go!" Had a blast doing laps in the bowl which still has good snow and was thankfully wind protected. Literally almost got blown off the piste on the re-entry into Serpentine, I'm surprised they were able to keep the lifts open all day. My quads are shot lol. Two days off now though and I'm with you @Boofont wishing for a nice bluebird day on Friday!!! Glad you had fun in Morillon and Les Carroz, I haven't hit that much stuff in Morillon to be honest.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
coldrainsnow wrote:
I haven't hit that much stuff in Morillon to be honest.

You should! Probably one of the best days I’ve ever had today, in part with the skiing but also how my lad is coming on with his technique.

The runs there were great. Totally built his confidence in trusting the ski to bite on an edge, carving his turns. The blues were great for this, then the reds, bit steeper so challenging to keep the speed in check.

Only did the reds and blues, all through the trees, sweeping through with lovely rollers. Runs you can go and ski again and again, taking a different line each time. Depends what you’re after of course but as an on-piste skier they ticked the boxes. Did the boarder cross twice down to the left of Gron chair. That was quite amusing as a bunch of French teenagers were there at the top of the course. I pulled in to a gate next to one who asked me to race suggesting I was a “pussy” (it was all said in fun). I blasted out doing the course in a tuck. After waiting at the bottom I took great pleasure in telling him that this fat old guy of a pussy just whooped him. All good fun. Razz

Anyway, highly recommend the runs there. Tomorrow plan is to head to Samoens. We shall see how we get on weather wise. No snow as yet.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just been out. IMO, significant temp rise in Flaine. Past few days the ground under foot has been frozen. It’s now melting bad, I can feel the temp change. What was ice under foot is now changing to slush. Sorry, this is not good newS. Let’s see how it goes.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 16-01-24 22:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boofont, yeah this next 36 hours is gonna be painful. Thank goodness there's a decent base this year, last year this kept happening and there wasn't really anything on the ground.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@coldrainsnow, the change in temp and melt on the roads has surprised me. It’s significant. In the space of a few hours it’s lifted I would guess about 7°c. From about just below zero to around 5° now. Just guessing how I feel it.
snow report
Weather update - it’s raining in Flaine. Can’t comment if it’s falling as snow up top.
ski holidays
Further update. It’s crap. Lol.

It’s 13:40, been raining heavy all day so far. Forecast suggests it will change to snow PM today but no sign of that. Went up the DMC about an hour ago, not any better up there, still rain and windy. Snow wet and sticky. Just did one run down, wasn’t enjoyable but we gave it a go. Fingers crossed things improve.
snow report
worth coming on the weekend or would you recommend shifting to Austria?
latest report
samendacott wrote:
worth coming on the weekend or would you recommend shifting to Austria?

Difficult to say tbh. Is it a weekend trip you’re making or longer? If it’s longer then I would expect things to pick up. In all the years I’ve been skiing I’ve never had rain like this bar a time in March in Whistler so it seems a rare event, for me anyway. It’s due to snow late today and tomorrow but if it will or not who knows? The rain has been very bad today. It’s now 16:20 and now stopped raining although looks like it could start again anytime.

There’s a solid base so dispute the conditions being crap today, if the temp lowers (which it’s forecast to do as far as I’m aware) then they should hold out ok I’m general. If it snows then come the weekend it should be a cracker.

How log can you hold out on a decision?

I will report back later, hopefully with news of snow over rain. Otherwise, find me at the bar drowning my sorrows avec biere! Sad
ski holidays
Thanks for the on-the-scene update @Boofont, it's been warm down in the valley all day but it didn't rain as much as I feared. Sounds like you all got hit up there though, blah. I think we're past the warmest point on this front so temps should be plunging through Saturday at this point. I optimistically waxed my powder skis today - still holding out hope for some fun on Friday or Saturday and some fresh snow up top!

Wife and I are in an off-piste ski camp all week next week, I'm selfishly hoping there will still be some good powder to find!!!!
snow report
@coldrainsnow, I hope it changes for you.

It’s raining heavy again now, 17:50. Weather forecasts said it should be snow by now so my fear is it’s going to carry on in to tomorrow. We shall see. Wish us luck! NehNeh
latest report
Boofont wrote:
@coldrainsnow, I hope it changes for you.

It’s raining heavy again now, 17:50. Weather forecasts said it should be snow by now so my fear is it’s going to carry on in to tomorrow. We shall see. Wish us luck! NehNeh

What is the current temp in Flaine?
ski holidays
@Boofont, you should have been here last year. Significantly wetter for much longer (? 2 weeks solid?)

@coldrainsnow, surely an off-piste course isn't about powder, but ... off-piste? I'd be somewhat disappointed if it was all about powder Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Quote:

@coldrainsnow, surely an off-piste course isn't about powder, but ... off-piste? I'd be somewhat disappointed if it was all about powder

no that's a good point, I'm sure there are plenty of places all around GM to explore.
latest report
I wouldn't be disappointed if it was all about powder, but part of such a camp for me is about learning to cope when it's not quite that nice...
ski holidays
@Astontech, using my calibrated hand stuck out in the apartment door, guess about 4 to 5°c?

@under a new name, I hear you. Last year was bad in many areas. I cancelled a trip to Andorra due to conditions. We are here now and it it is what it is. Still smiling, but only just! Very Happy

Our first time here, we can’t change the weather but otherwise been great. I’ve got everything crossed that tomorrow will be better. If I may politely ask… could all you snowheads cross all you’ve got also? Laughing
snow conditions
Meteo Alpes is suggesting the freezing level should plummet, resulting in 15-20cm around 1300m between 6pm tonight and 6am tomorrow (with 60+cm higher up!)

https://www.facebook.com/meteoalpes/posts/pfbid02yBuCeVwnjh7SZjMTZ1vAvg9dLyuEsCBAq6CaynUkdXkWKWxUnGqDp84fRc2fVdbZl?__cft__[0]=AZVCROVbYnjjU2f24afJj6vmipX0Qyd-Lv7N-9g-c1r4xvht-MlB2d85qS6dJTrjuWu-EjDb88_fRrnEALQ0FhS8HhKKsn6ZWKodiwc6lmA2R8YCQn0OWAB2BAiUKdqyPC8rFAA9IbEwtEV7kWlufqP3nC4qSgvhRJn__0udipMj0V5QcIw0hIrMh1rZOsK2pIA&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

(Flaine etc is Haut-Giffre)
snow report
@nbt, thanks for the update. Out for some good grub tonight (I hope - Sabaudia, heard it’s good!) so will hold that positive forecast!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
21:50 - still raining. Night all. Mad
snow conditions
@Boofont Confused Crying or Very sad

Here's hoping it changes to snow for you overnight, fingers crossed.
snow conditions
Snowed overnight, as far as I could see it wasn’t a massive dump. Now raining again in Flaine. Looks like it’s close to turning to snow, fingers crossed. Cloud base has dropped to I would say around 1700m.

latest report
Thanks for the update, loving having eyes on the ground at the resort @Boofont! There's new snow on the mountains above 1700 or so here so hopefully that will translate to the Flaine bowl too. I know you will, but please post an update later today if you manage to get out there! Good luck.
snow conditions
@coldrainsnow, will do, although we may not bother going out. It just wasn’t fun yesterday. It’s also raining in Samoens, it has been mentioned on the Flaine - Ski Club of Great Britain Facebook page.

All lifts seem to be “delayed”, I also understand the connections out of Flaine were closed yesterday. Showing as “forecast” today.
snow report
any update on the snowline at the moment - considering whether to switch out to Tignes (arriving tomorrow!)
snow conditions
@Boofont, sorry to read your glum message - when you only have a few days it's so miserable to look out on the rain but no point going out and being wet as well! People say "a bad day in the mountains is better than a good day in the office" but that always annoys me when you put in so many days in the office to afford one day in the mountains.
ski holidays
@samendacott, forecasts I'm looking at have the snowline at 1700 right now dropping to 1500 by 19:00 and then plummeting tonight with more precip all the way through. As we know +/- a couple hundred meters makes all the difference but I am planning on heading up to Flaine tomorrow and hoping for the best!! Saturday and Sunday do look like nice clear and cold days. AV danger is high right now so I don't imagine they'll get Gers open for the weekend but who knows everything could stabilize too.
latest report
@samendacott, tomorrow is supposed to be better. The rain here is on the cusp of being snow, and likely is snow higher up. It’s such shame the temp hasn’t dropped a tiny bit as this would be a mega dump. Forecast is suggesting snow tonight so could be ok tomorrow.

Ref switch to Tignes - hard to say. Guess it depends on cost? As far as the forecast are saying this weather even should be cleared by tomorrow.
ski holidays
not too bad on costs actually! still seems to be an off week.

Seeing rain in Flaine pretty high up on Monday and Tuesday too.

Worth a flip for an extra day and a half skiing in Tignes Monday and Tuesday?!
ski holidays
@pam w, thanks. It is what it is. It’s a bit sole-destroying but hay-ho! Annoyingly, I brought our Firestick out but forgot the remote so can’t actually connect it to the WiFi! So we have nothing but French TV!

Although not ideal this was a last min holiday for us anyway. We are off to Saalbach two weeks Saturday so hopefully things will be better there.
latest report
@Boofont, you can use the FireTV app to connect and control a Firestick without a remote. Might not help with the skiing, but will help to pass the time!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy