Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowbpard boots France Shopping

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I will be joining the PSB on the 2nd of december. I would like some advice on where to shop for Snowboard boots. Should I shop in Lyon or opt out to shop at Tigne? Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How are you planning to travel to Tignes, @snow_Carve? This may have a significant bearing on your choice of shopping location.

And was there a particular shop in Lyon that you were thinking of visiting?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rather than buy boots with huge time pressure, would it be worth renting for the PSB and getting a better idea of what works well for you?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A shop in Tignes might be willing to work with you on a "try before you buy" deal.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd not do it this way. And I don't understand why you would. I don't think you'll save any money/time/hassle. Instead, just order up some last season (but new) Vans, Salomon, 32, Burton whatever - you've just got time before the season really starts; or try go to a UK ski shop and try a few pairs on. Suggest you go 1/2 size smaller than your trainers, or you'll push the snowboard boots out and they will soon be too big/less responsive.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When I bought boots, in quite a good shop with a helpful assistant, I tried on quite a few pairs before finding one that felt right on my feet. But then I do exactly the same with trainers!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In Tignes, best option is Tignes Spirit in Lavachet. Also LaboShop and the wee snowboard shop across the road, next to the Marmot Arms.

If you're driving, Vieux Campeur in Albertville and LaboShop (much bigger!) in Bourg Saint Maurice worth a stop.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wiigman wrote:
I'd not do it this way. And I don't understand why you would. I don't think you'll save any money/time/hassle. Instead, just order up some last season (but new) Vans, Salomon, 32, Burton whatever - you've just got time before the season really starts; or try go to a UK ski shop and try a few pairs on.

Agree with this. Plenty of time to get them sorted before you leave. Definitely less hassle, more choice, and probably cheaper prices.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you all very much for your inputs!. I am coming from the middle east directly to Rome and then from Rome to Lyon all by air, so I have no access to snowboard shops down here. I am worried about buying them online and finding them not to be a good fit. I have had a horrible experience with my current boots size/flex.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And how do you plan to get from Lyon airport to Tignes @snow_Carve?

If it's by public transport / shared or private transfer then shopping for boots in Lyon will be difficult if not impossible. There are no snowboards shops at the airport so you would have to travel into Lyon city. By public transport that would add 3-4 hours for the extra travel and shopping time and will jeopardise completing your journey to Tignes before the last bus up the hill leaves Bourg St Maurice. If shared / private transport then persuading the driver to detour through Lyon city is unlikely.

If you are renting a car, I'd again advise against going into the city for shopping for similar reasons, plus the nuisance of parking and driving in an unfamilair city. BUT you could stop along the way to Tignes - the suggestions made by @stevomcd are sound plus Ekosport in Chambery and Frontenex. The Vieux Campeur in Albertville (Junction 27, just before the city) also has a Decathlon and a large Intersport in the same commercial centre.

As you are not able to organise new boots before you leave (no local shops to you) I think the best chance of getting boots that fit you well and you are happy with will be to do this in Tignes itself. As others have pointed out, you will have much more scope to try different rental boots first before homing in on a sound choice. I think the whole buying experience will be less stressful and more of a pleasure. With the rental car / driving / stopping on the way option you will have to have done your research and be quite sure what you want to buy and in what size.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 13-11-23 14:47; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snow_Carve, Surely best to buy in resort, can't imagine lugging your gear around Lyon looking for snowboard boots after 2 flights from middle east will be much fun?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snow_Carve wrote:
... I have had a horrible experience with my current boots size/flex.
=> buy in the resort, so you can try a few out at your leisure, and take them back to where you bought them be tweaked if that's needed. Way cheaper than randomly buying horrible experiences online or in sheds.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you all, I will opt out to buying from Tigne when I am there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good luck with it all/in Tignes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy