Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canadian ski instructor course

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at doing a three month course in Fernie. Not a cheap option. Has anyone experience of getting part time work while doing the course?
Is the course a good opportunity to make contacts to stay on for the spring summer season?
Ta.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Phil Tinning, I haven't done, and personally think, depending on your current ability, are a bit of a waste of money.

You could do both the level 1 and 2 exams for a couple of thousand £'s.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I assume it’s Nonstop. Mrs t_m did the same thing a few years back, and found it very good. It wasn’t just about getting the quals, it was a good experience too (did cat skiing, avalanche training, slept in a snow hole up the mountain, etc) and she thought it was good value for money. She was immediately offered a job at Sunshine Village for the following winter. She didn’t take it up, but has worked for a Swiss ski school for the last few years. Bear in mind that staying on in Canada for the summer season may require a visa (depending on your nationality).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are already an even average skier, you can do the CSIA level 1 course in a week. The level 2 takes 2 weeks. So, if you stay for a month you could do both relatively economically. (if the courses coincide, not always). Book your own flights & accomodation, ski when you want and take extra coaching with a local ski school too if you want it. Of course if money is no object then yes spend several thousand pounds with one of the UK 'course' providers. When I did my level 1 at Sunshine Village.I think the course cost was 295 CD. Mind you that was in 2005. I did the level 2 in Zermat in 2007.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Old Man Of Lech, you're thinking along the same lines as me.

@Phil Tinning, as an example, I'm doing the IASI qualifications (Irish).

You can do a Level 1 course Mon-Fri in a snow dome in the UK, for about £600. Then you can do some shadowing/teaching hours at your local slope, and then a Level 2 course you can either do in 2 parts, 2 days in the UK 4 days in the Mountains, or just a straight 6 day course in the Mountains. Again the course will cost you around £600, plus the cost of that week away. I certainly think you could get it all in for around £2500, and be done with it within a month if you smashed in the shadowing/teaching hours.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As above, its certainly not the most economical or even quickest way to get your qualifications.

Working in Canada will require a visa.

My suggestion is always try to get some work experience (easier said than done) to see the reality of being a ski instructor before embarking on the training pathway. I've seen plenty do the exact same course to then quit instructing within a year once they realise: the pay is rubbish and you are not even guaranteed hours, most of their time is spent with beginners on nursery slopes or picking up crying kids, there are better jobs to maximise your personal time on snow etc. (That's not to say instructing can't be a fantastic job for the right person).

If you don't actually plan to teach and just want a ski season or to improve your own skiing there are much better options. Even at fernie non-stop run some performance based courses.

Regarding non-stop I've only ever heard great reviews. However, you do pay for it. There are much cheaper ways if you just want to do a season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Takeout a loan and focus on getting the qualis.

Work becomes a distraction.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Topic moved to Bend ze Knees forum
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy