Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2023/24 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
Not the information I wanted to hear, but thank you for the honesty
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Thew2002 wrote:
Google maps tells us it is a 25 mins walk uphill back to our place from the bars, obviously that's not enjoyable in the cold, but I reckon it would be very much possible. I also thought there was a supermarket as per google, maybe it has closed down? Or maybe Je Suis has never really ventured around that area? (why would he unless he lived there??)
Quote:

Je suis un Skieur, it's probably less than 2 miles from town, so not impossible to walk. But uphill all the way, and probably well below freezing, so perhaps not advisable (particularly if drunk).

And isn't there a Sherpa (supermarket) just a few hundred yards down the road from the Ronnie?
I've done two seasons in Meribel and live in La Tania. That Sherpa's fine for daily milk and bread, emergency beer and a frozen pizza etc, I wouldn't be doing a full weekly shop on foot for 20 weeks in it! The main Meribel supermarket is in Mussillon, the first part of Meribel on the main road in. It's a good supermarket but pricey and still only about a fifth of the size of the supermarkets in Moutiers.

And yes, you could walk to the Ronnie from O'Sullivan's in about an hour and a half if you're stupid enough. But stupid seasonaires out in just a fleece at 4am die of hypothermia every year so feel free to apply for a Darwin Award if you want.

This is not true. It is definitely walkable.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 22-11-23 12:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You may not need winter tyres tbh, most of the season would be driveable without. Get a pair of those snow socks online, probably 40 quid, then just don't drive in heavy snow.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the last two messages are positive, and a complete 180 to the previous... I guess it depends how much you enjoy walking (I do). How are the snow conditions at the 3 valleys? It seems to be some above like 2200m, and absolutely nothing below?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thew - staying in resort over the whole season, I would strongly suggest putting winter tyres on the car, especially as you are staying at the top of the resort. Putting chains on is a faff and winter tyres will reduce the number of times you need to do that.

i'd suggest it'll take about an hour to walk from the centre up to Ronde Pointe - not much fun at 2 am when it is -10 outside! Possible, yes, but no fun.
At least the bus is free these days and reasonably frequent.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That will change during the year, no real point in looking now. The snow line will go right down below 1000m at times. The way it works is, snow falls, the snowplough clears and grits the road, the road is (for the most part) driveable in normal tyres unless more snow falls or its super cold, probably avoid driving at night or in the early morning. I mean the French are notorious for driving to ski resorts without Winter tyres, you always see them struggling if you drive to a resort during snowfall.

Plus those snow socks things are very good and super easy to put on. Just look at the code on your wheel and buy them online before you go.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@8611, it’s a legal requirent to have winter tyres fitted in the alps between November and end March.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No snow below 2200m? The guy is trolling now.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dr John wrote:
@8611, it’s a legal requirent to have winter tyres fitted in the alps between November and end March.

No it isn't, the requirement is for winter tyres or chains.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rjs, just checked and I stand corrected. Highly recommend fitting winters though, either way.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 22-11-23 12:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anyone have an idea of how much of Val Tho will be open this weekend?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anybody know the condition of the couloirs above Courchevel (Grand Couloir etc) at the moment? Will they normally be skiable in mid December? Thinking of going for a cheeky weekend 15-17 Dec.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Apologies, I was just looking at Chaudanne webcam and made a random guess that the snow starts at 2200m, looking at the other webcams they look great! For some reason I've only been looking at Chaudanne webcam as the lifts start there, I assume the lifts will be running at that part even if lack of snow?
Quote:

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John wrote:
@rjs, just checked and I stand corrected. Highly recommend fitting winters though, either way.

As do I but one of the misfortunes of renting in Italy or France is they rarely have them. You are grand most of the time, if I had a car for a season I wouldn't worry about it as I jsut wouldn't drive when it was a problem. If renting for a short break I tend to wait till just before to see if I'll need them.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rhoobarb wrote:

Not that far off... this is Courchevel today:

Snowline clearly above 1850 village level - I would put it at 1950/2000 depending on aspect.

No live reports from VT so far. From what I can see only Funitel Peclet and Cascades chair are open (and some small lifts) - haven't looked in to what else may open this coming weekend as I have non-ski activities/work planned...
ski holidays
I've scanned some videos on VT insta and the conditions look good! I will be careful about predicting the snowline in future as clearly it is a sensitive topic here, in addition to walking distances...
snow conditions
@Thew2002, Happy Happy

Second-hand reports from VT aren't that inspiring currently... but there is talk of a bit of snow at the weekend, time will tell.
ski holidays
Thew2002 wrote:
I've scanned some videos on VT insta and the conditions look good! I will be careful about predicting the snowline in future as clearly it is a sensitive topic here, in addition to walking distances...

Don't cave in to the weakminded losers on here.

If you think the snowline is high, average, or low, then chip in and say so.

Your guess above looks in the zone.
snow conditions
Does anyone else obsessively check the snow forecasts app? It's always been frustratingly that in '10 days' heavy snow would fall, which slowly comes to nothing, and then in another '10 days' snow will fall...
snow conditions
Yes, exactly this Skullie
snow report
Excited for the forecast Monday downfall...
ski holidays
Currently in Val Thorens, snow conditions have improved since Monday thanks to a small snowfall on Tuesday. Best run in the red from the top of Peclet, although it gets icier further down. The blues leading back to resort from Peclet and Cascades (the two lifts open) are icy and not fun to ski. Fine conditions for this time of year, nobody on the slopes, but looking forward to more snow arriving.
snow report
Hopefully this will be a lot whiter in a week or so!

snow report
What area of Meribel is that?
latest report
Thew2002 wrote:

Arpasson pistes.
snow report
Thew2002 wrote:

It's looking down to Chaudanne from the Olympic downhill side. The ice rink is the big roof in the top left of the picture. The centre of the village is just cut out. It's the opposite side of the valley to where your accommodation is!
snow conditions
There is a large mix of snow and rain forecast over the next week... I think mid/top mountain will be brilliant, bottom may potentially be awful though
snow report
Thew2002 wrote:
There is a large mix of snow and rain forecast over the next week... I think mid/top mountain will be brilliant, bottom may potentially be awful though

Assuming you will be out there for the whole season, you'll have 18 weeks or so to ski. on't fret unless the pistes are still bare in January!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Thew2002, quite often the case early and late season.
latest report
You'll need a new mindset.

The days of endless snow in the European Alps are all but gone.

Rain is the new snow.

In an 18-week trip, you're likely gonna see several rainstorms, particularly on the lower trails.
ski holidays
A 1min vidclip from Val Thorens on pre-official opening day.

Temps set to fall to -20c / -4f this weekend.

https://planetski.eu/2023/11/24/planetski-is-in-val-thorens-for-official-opening/
snow report
I did two separate trips to val d'isere last year and got lucky on both with thick snow, I feel like my luck will continue
Quote:

Rain is the new snow
latest report
It’s still November guys. Don’t fret. This season is going to be really good.
ski holidays
Quite excited for tonight's snow as well!
snow report
Mr P came back from a long weekend in VT last night. Only Peclet and Cascades open on Friday but then lots more opened up with loads more fresh snow. Orelle was open too. Snowed on Sat, but he said the vis was good, then more snow and yesterday the sun came out. Basically he had an epic time. Your Truly was otherwise engaged in work/aka earning my ski tokens. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Perty wrote:
Mr P came back from a long weekend in VT last night. Only Peclet and Cascades open on Friday but then lots more opened up with loads more fresh snow. Orelle was open too. Snowed on Sat, but he said the vis was good, then more snow and yesterday the sun came out. Basically he had an epic time. Your Truly was otherwise engaged in work/aka earning my ski tokens. rolling eyes

Was there yesterday, can confirm it was great. A bit icy higher up due to winds but other than that, a great day out Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Perty wrote:

That sounds great! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

We are looking forward to kicking off our 23/24 season there next month. We fly out on 15th Dec for a week Very Happy.
snow report
Flying out on Dec 10th to spend a week in Meribel Mottaret, hoping the snow continues to fall! I haven't stayed in Mottaret before, are there any nice restaurants for dinner? If not, does anyone know if the free bus shuttle into Meribel village will be running by then?
latest report
@lcoutts, over many years we have found the Pizzeria du Mottaret is always reliable
snow report
Seconded Pizzeria du Mottaret, least stuck up restaurant in the 3Vs
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy