Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2023-2024

Poster: A snowHead
flagship wrote:
The link back to zermatt from top of bontardini lift is open and simple.

Hi. Did you ski through the Theodulpass (ie the connection from the top of the Bontadini lift)? I have just seen a thing from the Cervinia tourist office saying the work is ongoing on the repaired (post rock slide) connection and it will be open "as soon as possible".
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes! Ate at theodul - mighty pasta there and charming service. Was unsure on link home and there is work being done on a path. But twenty metres below that, a second run ,with a big sign saying ‘zermatt’. I skied round with some trepidation, but is a simple route and all the children easily followed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Starting to like the look of that storm coming in on Saturday. Once again the best snow comes on transfer day! EDIT: looks like it is Friday not Saturday - even better. Meteo Swiss have it down as approx 30mm precipitation, which would be approx 30 cm of snow. Lovely

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JohnMo wrote:
flagship wrote:
The link back to zermatt from top of bontardini lift is open and simple.

Hi. Did you ski through the Theodulpass (ie the connection from the top of the Bontadini lift)? I have just seen a thing from the Cervinia tourist office saying the work is ongoing on the repaired (post rock slide) connection and it will be open "as soon as possible".

Thanks for the updates. Sounds like an excellent start to the season. Would be very interested to hear whether they have in fact made this link easier when it does eventually open
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am afraid Zermatt didn’t do that well from that storm after all. However a nice little top up up high never goes amiss. Looks like it is going to be to be a gorgeous week for the Xmas vacationers. Then possibility of snow returning for the New Year (too far out to be confident yet).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, my two weeks could scarcely have been better for weather, snow, lack of crowd. Only disappointment was that the bigger black runs were still in preparation. The children would have enjoyed trying national and furgg to furi. Also the hirli lift. But really there was plenty for everyone. Dec 8 to 22 remains a great two week stretch for this resort.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flagship wrote:
Well, my two weeks could scarcely have been better for weather, snow, lack of crowd. Only disappointment was that the bigger black runs were still in preparation. The children would have enjoyed trying national and furgg to furi. Also the hirli lift. But really there was plenty for everyone. Dec 8 to 22 remains a great two week stretch for this resort.

Pleased you enjoyed it. You are right that Zermatt and Cervinia are great for piste skiing in those weeks. It is frustrating that Zermatt doesn’t open as much as it could in that period. The Hirli lift is now open (including the black down from there). The black from Furgg to Furi is also open. But for some reason the black National from Blauherd down to Patrullarve is not.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The itinerary blauherd to findeln was doable, nothing else. Save that for march when no children in tow.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hello, I'm relatively new posting here though I've been a long-time lurker. I'm staying at the bottom of the Valtournenche valley for a couple of weeks in March and have a couple of questions that someone here may be able to answer.

Does anyone know where you can buy Aosta Valley lift passes - the ones that allow you to ski as often as you like in all the Aosta stations on concurrent days? I can find plenty of info about it online, but can only find options to buy a season pass.

Secondly, do lift passes cover busses up the valley to Cervinia/Valtournenche? I've only found info about the Arriva bus service that seems to require a separate payment.

I'm looking for options to maximise skiing and minimise driving Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pavlf, The "Aosta Valley Lift Pass" is included in 3 Day or more Cervinia Pass ... https://cervino.skiperformance.com/en/winter/store#/en/winter/buy?skugroup_id=2973

Check the busses here ... https://aosta.arriva.it/en/valtournenche-cervinia/

If you are staying in Valtournenche it's best to take the Salette Bubble from there and ski over to Cervinia. You miss the scrum for lifts at Cervinia, plus you are above Plan Maison.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank, yes, I've looked at the Arriva timetable and have looked at their webpage where it looks like you have to buy tickets separately - their phone app looks ok.

Also, the three days or more Cervinia pass only includes for e.g. two days out of six at another station. I've been before and had the six days with two elsewhere. Below a link to the actual Aosta Valley pass that allows you spend as many days as you like wherever you like in the Aosta valley. I need eleven day passes, something that isn't available on the Cervina website as one pass but the Aosta pass seems to have an eleven day option.

https://www.skilife.ski/en/skipass/rates/multi-day-consecutive-days/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Apropos of nothing, the youngest grandchild sitting on the Sunnegga terrace today and thinking a day in the mountains is never a bad day.

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JohnMo, tremendous, arriving with my family and 3 grandsons in Feb. First skiing for two of them! Off topic, but need to get all to one mountain lunch at least. Looks like high chairs, and is the food any good there? Any table service part to it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
twoodwar wrote:
@JohnMo, tremendous, arriving with my family and 3 grandsons in Feb. First skiing for two of them! Off topic, but need to get all to one mountain lunch at least. Looks like high chairs, and is the food any good there? Any table service part to it?

The Sunnegga terrace is fantastic but the food is the same lift company self-service stuff found at Riffleberg, Trockener Steg and Klein Matterhorn. There is no table service (Trockner Steg is only one that has that). If you are looking for a lift station restaurant that has table service and decent food the options are: Rothorn, Blauherd (sort of – you order at the bar), Gornegrat (but can only reach by train), Furi (obviously) and Schwarzsee. Of those I think Schwarzsee is by far the best.

My wife and I are not really foodies but one of the offspring and his wife are. They only have one child at present (9 months old) and are still prepared to put in the work to get to the quality restaurants in Findeln and Zum See.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pavlf wrote:

Does anyone know where you can buy Aosta Valley lift passes - the ones that allow you to ski as often as you like in all the Aosta stations on concurrent days? I can find plenty of info about it online, but can only find options to buy a season pass.
Very Happy

I emailed the Cervinia ticket office a few weeks ago about this I was trying to buy online it isn't available on their website, they told me "You can purchase the Aosta Valley skipass in Breuil Cervinia directly at the ticket office"
ski holidays
@JohnMo, cheers, did not know table service at Trockner! Always something to learn. The boys can get the lift from Riffleberg morning lessons all the way up there.
snow conditions
On thread, it’s snowing nicely in town now on the webcam.
snow conditions
@twoodwar, the table service is in the pizza place to your right after you come up the escalator.

Nice top up overnight up high (and a pleasant dusting in the valley). It will make today’s skiing in what looks like good weather very nice indeed.
snow report
Thanks Gogs, that's really helpful. I was thinking I should email them to ask. I guess you can buy one at any of the ticket offices in that case. Thanks again.
ski holidays
The Cervinia websites suggests the ‘Alpne Crossing’ into Zermatt is shut for maintenance until March 31. Is that the main crossing to Zermatt? Or only crossing? Or just one of them?
snow report
sbooker wrote:
The Cervinia websites suggests the ‘Alpne Crossing’ into Zermatt is shut for maintenance until March 31. Is that the main crossing to Zermatt? Or only crossing? Or just one of them?

It is only the new lift between Klein Matterhorn and the border at Testa Grigia. It makes no difference to skiers.

There doesn’t seem to be much transparency about this so rumours tend to run wild. It was always “mainly” meant to be for summer tourists to travel from Zermatt to Cervinia on foot while their bus and luggage went the long way round by road. Quite what the current “maintenance” is I have no idea. The new lift is not included in the ski pass so I have lost interest in it. It would have been a nice way to take beginners over from Zermatt to Cervinia but I can simply ski carefully over with them as I always have.
snow report
@JohnMo, great info. Thanks.
I will be in Aosta in early February for 5 days so I’m planning the best weather day to be a trip to Zermatt to get the obligatory photo of the Matterhorn. Last time I was in the area the wind shut the connection. Fingers crossed we can make it happen this time.
ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
The new lift is not included in the ski pass so I have lost interest in it.

Really? That's a bit mean of them. Would have spared us the (usually) cold & flat bit at the top I suppose and relieve some of the pressure on the existing Klein Matterhorn lift at peak times
latest report
Whitters wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
The new lift is not included in the ski pass so I have lost interest in it.

Really? That's a bit mean of them. Would have spared us the (usually) cold & flat bit at the top I suppose and relieve some of the pressure on the existing Klein Matterhorn lift at peak times

Yep. I think there was an assumption that the new lift would be included (there certainly was on my part). To be fair they never said it would be – but equally they never said it wouldn’t.

There was a promotional offer back in the Spring on the Cervinia side whereby you could get your annual international pass (including Zermatt and the Aosta Valley resorts) which would include the new lift. This was for the bargain price of €1,990 (too late now – promotion over). This compares to the usual annual pass price of €1,600. Still much cheaper than my annual pass on the Swiss side (which definitely doesn’t include the new lift), which is CHF equivalent of €2,300. I guess if you bought that promotional pass you might be pretty cheesed off at how much the new lift has been closed for “maintenance”.

As regards the bit at the top, I must admit I quite like it. The very top is flat but I love that sensation of skiing at the top of the world. On a clear day, when you can see Mont Blanc and the other 4,000m peaks, there is no sensation like it. I also don’t mind skating on my skis – which you sometimes have to do. After the flat bit, I think it gets quite thrilling – and I adore letting go early down the steep part so that you get up maimum speed to get over Plateau Rosa and hit Testa Grigia at a decent speed to drop down on to the Ventina.
snow conditions
And judge going between those coming up on the drag lift, at speed!
latest report
@JohnMo, yes I'm with you there, when the weather's nice at least. When its blowing a hoolie and -25 degrees, not so much fun!

Also, and it may have been just a one-off that week, but when we went during Covid days the only way down was via the black, the usual route (a quite benign red) was closed all week. I was fine and enjoyed it, but quite a number were taking their skis off and walking down or side slipping nervously down.
snow conditions
Whitters wrote:
@JohnMo, yes I'm with you there, when the weather's nice at least. When its blowing a hoolie and -25 degrees, not so much fun!

Also, and it may have been just a one-off that week, but when we went during Covid days the only way down was via the black, the usual route (a quite benign red) was closed all week. I was fine and enjoyed it, but quite a number were taking their skis off and walking down or side slipping nervously down.

That does happen from time to time.

The Matterhorn Express is a marvellous gondola. We all take it for granted but it whisks you up from the town up into the high mountain and almost at the border in no time at all. However, for good reasons, it goes over the top of Schwarzsee. The Schawrzsee lift station is sitting on a 2600m crest just under the Matterhorn and facing south west directly down the Zmutt glacier valley. When the winds come from the South West they can really rock the gondolas and result in the whole Matterhorn Express having to close. This can seem strange for people at higher points (but not exposed to the Zmutt valley) like Trockener Steg or even Furggsattel where the wind might be nowhere near as strong.

In such circumstances the Furi to Trockener Steg cable car can run – and possibly even the Furggsattel lift. So they might still let people ski up there. However, once skiers want to head back down to Zermatt they have two options: take the cable car back; or ski via Furgg. The lift company will close about two thirds of the width of the piste down from Trockner Steg and put up signs saying “For expert skiers only” – meaning you need to be able to ski the black from Furgg down to Furi.

A lot of skiers who have done the reds from Trockner Steg to Furi think “I have already skied that, I will be fine”. The problem is when they reach Furgg they have to ski the black, there is no bailing out. In good weather, with a little fresh snow and no crowds that black is an absolute pleasure. But when crowded with piles of snow pushed around and patches of ice even a good intermediate can suddenly find things beyond their ability. It then just turns into a human mogul field.
ski holidays
@JohnMo, thanks, that is genuinely an interesting read and explains a lot of how it is susceptible to high winds and I’ve occasionally had to use the cable car Very Happy

However, the red and black I was referring to are the ones at the top of the Klein Matterhorn. The black was steep and icy and the only way of getting down as the usual red was closed all week. Luckily crowds were low due to Covid restrictions on travel.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitters wrote:
@JohnMo, thanks, that is genuinely an interesting read and explains a lot of how it is susceptible to high winds and I’ve occasionally had to use the cable car Very Happy

However, the red and black I was referring to are the ones at the top of the Klein Matterhorn. The black was steep and icy and the only way of getting down as the usual red was closed all week. Luckily crowds were low due to Covid restrictions on travel.

I am struggling to think of where you are referring to. There are no blacks off Klein Matterhorn. Although certainly it can be icy and feel quite steep for a red.

snow report
It’s the little black off to the right of the first bit down the KM, just about visible on this map
latest report
Whitters wrote:
It’s the little black off to the right of the first bit down the KM, just about visible on this map

Ha! I haven’t noticed that before. There are two narrow pistes that come down from the high flat bit to the steep bit (which is also the summer skiing area). I think I am right in saying that they are never open at the same time. The upper red one (85) is the one that is used most of the winter. The lower (now black one, 85a) is the one that is used for the summer skiing and also for some of the spring and autumn. You know if you are on the latter because you go through a man made tunnel (ie a metal tube) before coming out to the steep/summer ski area. I had no idea that that had been reclassified as black (it used to be red). I wonder when that happened.

When were you skiing it and was the metal tube tunnel there?
snow report
@JohnMo, no, at least I don't remember one although my memory might be playing tricks with me, you went along the flattish bit along the top as normal, and then had to swing right to the black run down as the usual red route that also swung right just past it was closed. Maybe just a one-off occurrence
latest report
heavy snow in the village on webcams now, same in Crans Montana where we are off to today snowHead
ski holidays
It's definitely snowing steadily in Breuil (Cervinia) at the moment (it was "heavily" a couple of hours ago). However the light on the slopes is very flat and the family have chucked it for the day.

I , on the other hand, broke my collar bone cycling 6 weeks ago and am a very frustrated non-skier/shopper.
ski holidays
Zermatt and, in particular, Cervinia did really well out of that storm today (and it is not yet finished). It ended up coming more from the south than forecast. It has been a good snow season so far for west and central Switzerland (might have been for east Switzerland as well but I don’t track there).

@twoodwar, Enjoy Crans Montana. Given the direction of the storms so far I imagine it is in even better condition than the resorts on the south side of the Rhône valley. I think I am right in saying you are not a tourer. Pity as there is some great touring round there. I have never actually been piste skiing in Crans Montana but have returned down the pistes from touring. It looks really good. It also has the coolest cross country skiing course in the Glacier de Plaine Morte right up at the top - a glacier that, due to glacier shrinkage, is now entirely non-flowing.
ski holidays
Slightly off topic but will probably get the quickest answer in here. I've been to Cervinia many times but not for the lat few years due to Covid and the fact I've taking my two youngest for the first time slightly more beginner friendly places. Heading back next year and just been looking on the webcams, has the long drag lift back up from Col Du Mont been replaced by a chair? If so, that will make taking the little ones to Valtournench considerably less risky.
snow conditions
Raptor24 wrote:
Slightly off topic but will probably get the quickest answer in here. I've been to Cervinia many times but not for the lat few years due to Covid and the fact I've taking my two youngest for the first time slightly more beginner friendly places. Heading back next year and just been looking on the webcams, has the long drag lift back up from Col Du Mont been replaced by a chair? If so, that will make taking the little ones to Valtournenche considerably less risky.

Yes went in last season, 6 pack with a hood replacing the torture tow Very Happy
snow report
Hi,

We are in Cervinia over Easter. Hopefully we will still have good snow conditions. We have a 6 month old baby so are going to share the childminding amongst the group. There is a kids club that takes young infants in Cervinia. Doe anybody have experience with this facility. Mini Club Fiocco di Neve.
snow conditions
Photo of skiing today from the SCGB’s Facebook page. Conditions looking not too bad.

ski holidays
Hi,
Sorry if his has been covered before but I have been trawling the forum and couldn't find the info I was after..
I'm organising a group of 10 of us heading to Cervinia in 2 weeks time for 6 days, we are a mixture of beginners and intermediates (skiiers and boarders), our plan is to ski Cervinia and Valtourneche for 4 days and head over to Zermatt for 2 days (the intermediates). What is the best way to do this in terms of ski pass? Can we buy a 6day Cervinia-Valtourneche pass and upgrade that pass in the morning of the days we want to go to Zermatt? Or should we be buying 4 day non-consecutive Cervinia pass and then single day Zermatt? Just conscious of the weather closing the lifts plus trying to maximise our value as 1x6day pass > 6x1day passes.
Again, apologies if this is a repeated question.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy