Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif for next Easter with 2 x 7 yr old beginners?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@under a new name, Agreed. When my kids learned to ski the prioirities were ski to the door accommodation and we picked places with a pool so there was always something to fo if they didn’t want to ski all day.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks again for the further comments over the weekend. I should give a bit more info as to our circumstances:
I have been skiing with my wife for about 12 years but for the last 6 it has only been the odd snatched weekend, due to child care. We normally go to Austria due to short transfers, good reasonably priced hotels and villages with some character. The past few years we have been to Mutters, Fulpmes, Seefeld and Oetz. I get my fix of kms on a annual lads trip which I manage to go on.
We have always planned to introduce the children at some point and the vague idea was to wait until they were 8-9. I maybe missing the lads trip in 2025 so this would tie in well. However, I noticed that a few areas do free lift passes for under 8s and as we are quite budget conscious, I have considered taking them next year if I can get some cheap flights once Easyjet release dates. GM ticks the boxes of short transfers, free lift passes for kids, proper villages but I wasn't sure how the ski schools or links to higher areas would fair, so to hear back from so many of you has been invaluable.
I think St Foy sounds amazing but a long transfer; taking a Gatwick flight is also tempting as it would open up Austrian resorts but realistically it shifts the long transfer to a different part of the trip.
The accommodation I have found so far is between £400-£500/ week, so pretty reasonable, but maybe that's because noone wants to stay in Samoens/ Morillon at the end of March for reasons pointed out!

I will keep looking (especially in Les Carroz, thanks for the tip on Les carroz - chalets de leana @snowymum) and make a call when the flights come out, but whatever happens, don't despair @under a new name, the kids will enjoy their life changing experience at some point, but just perhaps not this year!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@EdYarker, titter. I was lucky enough to be introduced to something sort of skiing like aged 4.

One point, and I cannot vouch for its veracity, but I have heard that around age 7 there's a change in the brain's development which suggests that pre 7 ish learning to slide (of whichever variety) is easier.

So the quicker the better. As the late great Warren Miller was wont to say, "if you don't do it this year, it'll be another year until you do..."
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, that's interesting, I'd better get my skates/ skis on then! My other problem is that although they are twins and both girls, they are incredibly different, so it's almost inevitable that one will love it and the other one not so much!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@EdYarker, I've got twin girls and they learnt from the age of 3-4 in Les Carroz. ESF were great and the instructors still recognise them now and they are 16/17. Mine did develop slightly different styles, but both have lovely technique thanks to the LC ESF team. At 7 if yours progress well and the conditions are good they might well take them over to Flaine anyway. We've always been lucky at Easter, yes some slushy afternoons but on the whole had a super time. If you are up for it and get a wiggle on, you can drop them off at ski school and get to Flaine and back before 12, done it ourselves plenty of times, esp if one of the party is a pretty rapid skier for the return. There is a pool complex in LC, look up Acquacime on the website. Nice programme of events in the village square during the holidays as well. It's a real family resort.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It might be worth a look at a train transfer from Geneva to Saas Fee (with the last bit on the post bus up the valley), it is a bit longer but my 9yo really loves the train over a bus. Once you are there there's a good chance the snow will be excellent (it was great the week after Easter this year).

Saas Fee has plenty of chocolate box charm and lovely views of the huge 4k peaks that surround it. The youth hostel also cates well for families and the swimming pool is included in the price. There is also an onsite spa for the adults if that is your thing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Henwc, I would love to go to Saas Fee and enjoy transferring by train but I fear it might be a bit pricey. Will have a quick peak though, thanks.
@Cheesie168, Well done on getting 3 and 4 year old twins to the mountains! You are making a good case for Les Carroz. I would imagine that depending on conditions, my wife and I would be happy just skiing hard in the morning and staying close at hand in the afternoon, so good to hear that Flaine is within range!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@EdYarker, As an option Saas Grund down the valley might be more economic if you are looking for a self catering apartment and it still has some of those little wooden buildings on stone legs that look pretty. Do check out the youth hostel (Hostel 4000) in Saas Fee, depending on the ages of the kids the price can be ok.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You could also look at Samnaun (linked to Ischgl) if you are happy to book DIY, it looked quite pretty when I skied through there in late April. The scenery is particularly good.

Air BnBs seem relatively cheep (I have found one for under £900 for Feb half term 2024). I think it's a quick ish transfer from Innsbruck which appears relatively doable by public transport.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @Henwc, but my problem is that there are no flights to Innsbruck from Bristol at Easter so I’m limited to Geneva.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
EdYarker wrote:
Thanks @Henwc, but my problem is that there are no flights to Innsbruck from Bristol at Easter so I’m limited to Geneva.
Sorry my bad, forgot about the flights issue.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are a lot fewer flights after the beginning of April to Italian airports too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Honestly, Les Saisies (1600 m base) is perfect for what you want. Sure, it's not a historic village but it's not a bad recent facsimile. The key is that it's perfect for beginners and families and should have plenty of snow March 30. It's quite easy to get to from Geneva if you rent a car. There really isn't much faffing about (our kids took lessons there for four years) and if you do have a car you can park across from the ski school area at the sports center rather than rely on the (pretty good) ski buses.

I would normally say you'd be fine in Grand Massif...but that late...you are likely to be pushing around piles of slush. Agree that Flaine is not the village your wife is looking for. Les Carroz is pretty nice; Morillon 1100 has really good beginner terrain, but the village of Morillon proper is lower down in the valley; same with Samoens 1600...

Les Contamines...hmm, yes it's a village but quite built up. It's quite easy to get to the gondola by ski bus and it does have good snow rather late.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

it does have good snow rather late.

Up the hill it does, but not down in the bottom of the valley. So if wife wants a picturesque village with white stuff, rather than sad piles of grey stuff, Les Contamines is probably not the answer. There is a lot more easy skiing to go at in Saisies.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

it does have good snow rather late.

Up the hill it does, but not down in the bottom of the valley. So if wife wants a picturesque village with white stuff, rather than sad piles of grey stuff, Les Contamines is probably not the answer. There is a lot more easy skiing to go at in Saisies.

Yes, of course, meant on the hill.

I would definitely say Les Saisies is better for OPs needs, but the skiing at Les C is quite brilliant, especially on a sunny day. I don't love the village of Les Contamines, as it's basically a bunch of newish shops on either side of the main drag.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy