Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2023-24

Poster: A snowHead
Wonder how busy it will it be in Wagrain 4-11 February ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clearvision wrote:
@RedandWhiteFlachau thanks for the reply. I’ve finally pulled the trigger and booked Sun 25th Feb - Fri 1st March so will ski Mon-Thurs and will likely organise a car.

Do let me know if you have some availability for a morning during that week.

Will drop a message nearer the time to see if anyone is about too.

Sorry buddy. You've chosen the one week I'm not around. Off to CH that week for some Snowshoeing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ionizingskin wrote:
Hi, I have seen a few reviews saying ski amade is poor for advanced skiers and people that like to go off piste with not much freeriding and the low altitude meaning short runs.

I'm booked up for the flachau/zauchensee area for a couple of weeks which is probably a bit much at the best of times. I'd been to zauchensee once before and so wanted to go back but probably didn't do the research I should have for it.

Are the reviews accurate, as a more advanced skiers am I going to be bored stiff after a week?
Any tips for good things to do to make the skiing more interesting like freeriding?
Also flying solo so any tips on how to join up with some people for offpisting would be good.

I'm probably an "Advanced" skier and I live here. Never get bored. Your lift pass covers the whole of the Ski Amade so hop on a bus or drive to Hochkonig, Bad Gastein, Schladming etc if Flachau/Zauchensee is not enough. Like anywhere, the Freeride terrain is more who you know than what you know!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the tendency to get bored easily is more a function of the individual than of the ski area. Getting to know a place well means you can appreciate all the nuances and changes. Like fishing the same stretch of a great river....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ionizingskin, Lots of snow due this week. Tue/Wed could be epic powder days!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:

I think Salzburger does quite well with snow from the coming change in weather which is good but I think its also supposed to be quite stormy so could cause lift closures and not be the most pleasant.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
It is bonkers at hauser kaibling/planai. 400 people..easily. queuing for the gondola at 9.30. What happened to quiet changeover Saturday?

@Ionizingskin, the local expert ski tourers go to zauchensee all the time

Hope it wasn't too bad holidayloverxx ? That's a reasonably powerful lift up from the bottom there......but, if everyone thinks it's going to be a quiet changeover day, everyone is going to go out wink

I always wonder about the lifts at Hauser Kaibling in that it is the 1st entry point to the area from the East along a fairly major arterial road. I guess any trippers coming from that direction are going to start their day there Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Timberwolf, the pistes were not too bad but too many people skiing too fast, too close and not paying attention. Gangs of lads drinking pints and shots at 10.30, lads drinking Jaeger on the lift. We quit at 12 30. Others said they've never seen anything like it. It's deserted today apparently.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spent today skiing in Hoch Konig. I'm in Bischofshofen for work but had today off so hopped on the free ski bus. It's a great area, good mix of pistes and only busy in a couple of spots. I followed the King's route which meant I didn't have to worry about looking at the piste map. Food was good too, win all round.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I might make it to Alpendorf tomorrow, any recommendations for food and fun pistes much appreciated. Cheers
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@grumpygargoyle, Kreistenalm at the top of the chair from Alpendorf
https://kreistenalm.at/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@holidayloverxx, thanks very much!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@grumpygargoyle, +1 for the Kreistenalm.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SternAlm further down from Kreistenalm is excellent, had a couple of great meals there 2 seasons ago.

Also had a superb lunch on the sun terrace of the Hotel Sonnhof right at the bottom of the chair.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ionizingskin, you got skins and pins? the mountains are your oyster if you have.
ski holidays

So much for epic powder days.

Been wet, claggy crap followed by lift closures due to wind.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 30-01-24 19:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Ionizingskin, you can get that weather anywhere in the mountains. Don't blame where you happen to be
latest report
Ionizingskin wrote:

So much for epic powder days.

Been wet, claggy crap followed by lift closures due to wind.

Definitely wouldn't say the area is good for someon lebon their own for 2 weeks if they know how to ski already

Luck of the draw I'm afraid. Could be a bit rough for the next couple of days. Snow forecasted for tonight/tomorrow/ Just keep your fingers crossed.
snow report
Wagrain PM today. FIS Rule 6.

Me: "I say chaps, would you mind moving to the left or righthand side of the piste so that folks can get past?"
Bloke No.1: "No we've paid to be here!"

Gotta love the Brits!
snow conditions
@RedandWhiteFlachau, rolling eyes
snow report
At least Ema's pub Flachau is more entertaining than my 2022 visit.....
snow conditions
@toyah807, were you there tonight? We were
ski holidays
Heading out on Sunday and would really appreciate an update on current conditions thanks.
ski holidays
I have skied on Sunday at Zauchensee. Piste conditions are hard but overall good and the weather is very pleasant. This weekend is the start for the Vienna and NÖ semester holiday so it will be extremely busy.
latest report
Thank you !
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, yes I was and suspected you might be but my son wouldn't allow me to walk up to a random person in a bar and ask them if they are a snowhead. Sort of misses the point of Snowheads!
snow report
@toyah807, ha ha. I was on the high seats at the rail opposite the bar. You should have done!
snow report
@toyah807, Call it a missed opportunity, we were there too. But the first rule of Snowheads is: you do not talk about Snowheads. The second rule of Snowheads is: you DO NOT talk about Snowheads!

@timmythedog, Piste conditions today are excellent. A little bit of cloud cover for the next couple of days will keep them in shape and maybe even a dusting Thu/Fri to top up.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the reassurance- much appreciated!
snow conditions
@toyah807, Call it a missed opportunity, we were there too. But the first rule of Snowheads is: you do not talk about Snowheads. The second rule of Snowheads is: you DO NOT talk about Snowheads!

.. ..but if you do, the time-honoured code is to ask "are you Frosty the Snowman"
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, yes. 4 of you? I was on the table behind you. Sorry!
@holidayloverxx, indeed. It must be my parenting skills but I think he would find that even more odd.
A group trip means I haven't got the time, energy or memory skills to do a proper trip report for the week in Flachau but a few observations.....
The snow and slopes on the Flachau side this morning were glorious and it's an excellent top to bottom run, whichever of the maze of choices you pick.
Several of the group are enjoying finishing at Gipfelstadl as the sun sets before skiing down.
The ribs at Wagrainerhaus definitely went down well.
Everyone enjoyed lunch at Kreistenalm (a recommendation higher up the thread)
Most enjoyable Gulaschsuppe so far....Gamskogelhutte in Zauchansee
Nicest Hot Chocolate, Purzelbaum. Also the only one so far, so little competition.
The younger members squeezed into Hofstadl a couple of times but most have not ventured that far. We all like Herzerlalm.
Lockers at Achterjet have worked well
Transfer with Neurotouristik was cheap (137 euros each way between 5) and 1hr15 for all three taxis.
I never doubted it given some of the comments on this thread and answers to my questions but the group think Hotel Bergdiamant is excellent. Impeccably clean, friendly and reasonably priced.
Busier than expected and some choppy runs in sunny spots but the snow is holding up better than it should in the heat.
Probably too much info already, but looking forward to the last couple of days

*edit* my second comment was actually a reply to @redandwhiteflachau but I can't work out how to change it now
snow report
@toyah807, Please delete reference to Purzelbaum. That is where we Ski Instructors like to hang out. The last thing we need are hordes of Punters discovering how good it is it is. Very Happy
snow conditions
@toyah807, yes, that was us. good report
snow report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, Very Happy I promise we won't be cluttering the place up after Friday....
latest report
Quick question- we are two basic intermediaries staying in Wagrain next week considering a private lesson. Any recommendations re ski school?
Many thanks
latest report
Last question for the flachau experts....on a lift yesterday I had somewhere called the Jagertee hut described to me but from the description and Google I can't find it. Any suggestions?
snow conditions
@toyah807, what was the description?
ski holidays
@timmythedog, the https://www.rot-weiss-rot.at/en/ski-school.html
latest report
Thanks - much appreciated
snow report
@holidayloverxx, very brief, it sounded as if it was famous so I just assumed it would be easy to find. A small hut set slightly off the piste down a track, but after saying it was Grafenberg side he then changed to say more flachau side. Not much to go on, sorry
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy