Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2023-24

Poster: A snowHead
waynos wrote:
On the ski front today was a powdery one. Awesome first ski of season in light fluffy powder in the trees at reiteralm. Still dumping this evening and planai is opening larchenkohlgelbahn chair tomorrow which connects with planai west gondel so no bus needed to access top. Going to be epic conditions tomorrow.

I viewed the webcams, the tops peaked at -10c, lots of new snow. Being watching with envy over the last 9 days since the Planai opened. Amazing how they make a mid November opening most years on low-ish altitude mountains.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow&skifan wrote:
I viewed the webcams, the tops peaked at -10c, lots of new snow. Being watching with envy over the last 9 days since the Planai opened. Amazing how they make a mid November opening most years on low-ish altitude mountains.

North Facing and sheltered from the Fohn. All they need is lower temperatures and they're good to go. Plus Germamic efficiency of course. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My 15th season in these parts and almost always get to ski in Nov or even October with some manual up-hilling. Though about 10 years back Schladming opened a few lifts in Oct.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks amazing. The mild day turned out to be 0c and below, snowing moderately at all levels.

https://www.planai.at/en/planai-up-to-date/webcam
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A metre of new snow forecast on Friday and Saturday for the Schladming mountains.
https://www.bergfex.com/sommer/rohrmoos-untertal/wetter/berg/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SZG-Flachau 51 mins today. But, 1pm on a Sunday with no freight traffic, nor much sign of day skiers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@RedandWhiteFlachau, thanks, MrHL is travelling on a Sunday in Jan
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Going to Schladming in February. Any suggestions for mountain restaurants and long blues for the first few days ? Many thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
timmythedog wrote:
Going to Schladming in February. Any suggestions for mountain restaurants and long blues for the first few days ? Many thanks

I'm sure the Schladmingers' will be along with the best tips, mine would be avoid Andis Schirmbar. Repeatedly the worst service in Ski Amade.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
timmythedog wrote:

The long languid Blues you want are on the Rohrmoos.

Hauser Kaibling also has a selection of Blue runs, but in my experience they tend to get pretty choppy and hard work after lunch.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Question for the more familiar with the Flachau area (Inc. Zauchensee/Flachauwinkl).

What are the easily accessible off-piste prospects like around here? I've heard that there's some good stuff in Zauchensee (from the forum) but I wondered whether there was much more about that might not be aware of. "Side piste" is also fine.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@itsLiamFleming, Plenty but I'm not telling you where. Buy me a beer or two if you come out here and I'll show you. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@RedandWhiteFlachau, that sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me! Trip's already booked haha
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
itsLiamFleming wrote:
@RedandWhiteFlachau, that sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me! Trip's already booked haha

Sent you a PM.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have chatted with @itsLiamFleming, about off-piste options but I'm not here the week he's out (13-20 Jan). If any other local Snowheads' are around please let him know.
snow conditions
Thank you so much RedandWhiteFlachau, we heeded your advice in avoiding the A10, taking a cute train journey from Salzburg to Bischoshofen, then prearranged taxi transfer to Rohrmoos-Untertal. We arrived this lunchtime.

Our regular taxi driver agreed with your assessment, he said sometimes he sails past the roadworks, many other times trapped in them for 2-3 hours going nowhere fast after any kind of incident in the single lane.

He said the works continue to 2025 at least.

Now onto the exciting bit of skiing Schladming again Little Angel
snow report
Snow&skifan wrote:
Thank you so much RedandWhiteFlachau, we heeded your advice in avoiding the A10, taking a cute train journey from Salzburg to Bischoshofen, then prearranged taxi transfer to Rohrmoos-Untertal. We arrived this lunchtime.

Our regular taxi driver agreed with your assessment, he said sometimes he sails past the roadworks, many other times trapped in them for 2-3 hours going nowhere fast after any kind of incident in the single lane.

He said the works continue to 2025 at least.

Now onto the exciting bit of skiing Schladming again Little Angel

Glad it worked out. For others coming soon, it appears that the current journey time varies between 1 hour and 1 Hr 30 Mins, but, we are not yet in full season. Next weekend will be the first real test.
snow report
We’ll be making the journey on a coach to Schladming from Salzburg next Saturday evening, so I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed. Especially as I’ve just seen 45cm of snow forecast for Friday!
latest report
@Lozza1uk, the road will be clear of snow
latest report
My son is hoping to rent some more freestyle oriented skis for our upcoming Flachau trip. Is this likely to be possible or might he be better trying to find a reasonably priced pair to buy and take? It's difficult to see any on the types of skis described in the different hire levels on shop websites (near the Achterjet) and I wonder whether the higher risk of damage in the park might be a barrier.
Thanks again for all the travel updates, we are still watching closely before deciding between the new bus and bus/ train options (we have one arriving around 1010 and 10 later at around 1200)
snow report
@toyah807, Best bet is the AbsolutSchool partner at Flachauwinkel. https://www.absolutschool.at/en/rental-equipment/
snow report
For those travelling by train from Salzburg, there is a new free Shuttle Bus from Bischofshofen to Flachau. Only runs twice a day Saturday and Sunday but may be of use for some. Details here: https://www.snow-space.com/arrival
ski holidays
@RedandWhiteFlachau, thanks. Might be perfect for him
snow report
Anyone got any good tips for Gastein and Bad Hofgastein in particular?

We’re off there soon for the first time. In particular any tips for the busses, and then for the ski area (restaurants, good runs, lifts/pistes to avoid etc.)
snow conditions
Here in Schladming the sun’s gone, a few light flakes of snow and even emptier perfect pistes.
snow report
timmythedog wrote:

Was there early February, the 2 areas I would head for are Hauser Kaibling (15 min bus from Schladming), head over to the Hofi Express 1 and 2. Nice long Blues I lapped a lot with decent restaurant in middle and bottom and top! The other area is Hochwurzen. My preference was Hause Kaibling.
ski holidays
We’ve had a great week, the best skiing ever?

But today was noticeably milder, 6c mid mountain and heaps of wet snow on Reiteralm below 1,400m. Now at 1,100m in Rohrmoos-Untertal it’s raining heavily!

Are temperatures forecast to fall sharply anytime soon?
snow report
@Snow&skifan, Yes, tonight. But freezing line may only get down to 1000m or so.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking out from Rohrmoos, thankfully the rain must’ve turned to snow in the night …. looking at a winter wonderland and still falling.
ski holidays
Snow&skifan wrote:
Looking out from Rohrmoos, thankfully the rain must’ve turned to snow in the night …. looking at a winter wonderland and still falling.

Hooray! Excited to arrive tomorrow. Any on mountain food recommendations?

Also, need to take my slightly nervous husband (he’s just niggled his ACL so he’ll be even more tentative) on a simple run the first day. Ideally one we can do 5 or 6 times in a row, wide and simple. Any suggestions? The lifts stop at 2pm on Sunday and we’re staying nearest to planai lift so ideally from there. He was on reds last year so I know he can do it, just needs a confidence building first morning, and a lesson the next day.

Enjoy the powder today, webcams look fab.
latest report
DHosking wrote:
timmythedog wrote:

Was there early February, the 2 areas I would head for are Hauser Kaibling (15 min bus from Schladming), head over to the Hofi Express 1 and 2. Nice long Blues I lapped a lot with decent restaurant in middle and bottom and top! The other area is Hochwurzen. My preference was Hause Kaibling.

Plus 1 for this.

I'd advise same for Lozza and her nervous husband. From memory (happy to be corrected), the blues off the Planai are ok but crowded with ski schools. A lot of congestion at those lifts (Marchwiesenbahn area) to get back up.
Kaibling was a welcome relief.
ski holidays
Thanks, if it wasn’t for the fact we need to get skis etc in the morning (arrive too late tomorrow) and then the lifts close at 2pm I would definitely head to Kaibling, but it feels a bit of a faff to get a bus on the first morning. Will go there day 2 I think!
ski holidays
@Lozza1uk, the bus takes 10 minutes (ish) to an area perfect for your husband, so instead of that you are now planning to ski amongst the crowds on busy reds. I can't see the logic TBH
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Lozza1uk, the bus takes 10 minutes (ish) to an area perfect for your husband, so instead of that you are now planning to ski amongst the crowds on busy reds. I can't see the logic TBH

Ok, consider me told Very Happy

Thank you!
ski holidays
@Lozza1uk, LOL - I didn't mean it like that!
snow report
Flet©h wrote:
Anyone got any good tips for Gastein and Bad Hofgastein in particular?

We’re off there soon for the first time. In particular any tips for the busses, and then for the ski area (restaurants, good runs, lifts/pistes to avoid etc.)

I was in Bad Hofgastein last year, really enjoyed it. I’m returning for a week in late Jan. Didn’t use the buses as had a car but reports from others were very good though a few grumpy drivers! It can be a fair walk in ski boots from a lot of the hotels so using the bus is best.

There isn’t really any form of nursery slopes in Hofgastein itself, you either have to go right up to the top of Schlossalm and use the easier slopes there or (preferred) go on the bus to Angertal which is a great place to start and finish skiing - even if you don’t want nursery slopes. Probably about 15 mins on the bus. The run back down into Bad Hofgastein

Definitely make the trip to Sportgastein as the snow, skiing and views are usually fantastic. Also Dorfgastein is very good but may suffer if the snow isn’t great lower down.

My favourite mountain restaurant was the one at the bottom of the snow park on the Gastein side - can’t remember the name but it’s on one of the webcams!

The town is very quiet at night from what I could see, maybe a bit of apres at the bottom of Schlossalm. My hotel was great so didn’t venture out much!
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Lozza1uk, LOL - I didn't mean it like that!

Oh I know, don’t worry!! Really appreciate your advice Little Angel
ski holidays
Here at Rohrmoos-Untertal we’ve had a fresh foot or more of the white stuff, still snowing now, those skiing tomorrow are very lucky. 0c, mid station -2c. Going by the digital resort maps, the entire Planai was closed and we heard explosions presumably from avalanche control.

It all looks stunning. Our hoteliers are elated, they said the heavy rain yesterday evening had worried them.
latest report
Situation Report (SITREP) 11.00 23rd Dec 23.

High winds mean most of Snowspace is closed above Mid-Stations. G-Link not in operation. Snow line is at 1200M and rising for the next few days. Up to 1m of snow on higher runs but heavy going.

Traffic. Early on first big changeover day but Southbound from A10/A1 junction to Flachau currently showing 1hr 45mins. Will update on observations this evening.
snow conditions
Torrential rain and 4c at 1,150m, our taxi driver’s gutted for the new arrivals. Mud and grass appearing everywhere.

Does that mean a blizzard at say 1,700m?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy