Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

US/Canada 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for recommendations for where to ski at the end of March in North America or Canada. First time skiing outside of Europe.

Currently thinking Whistler BC or Breckenbridge, CO - but slightly put off by cost/rumours of extremely crowded lifts. We'd like to guarantee some sunshine skiing, as much as possible (we've just got back from Ischgl and only had one day of sun all week!).

Any advice very welcome! Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Of course it can be sunny anywhere anytime, but "Whistler" and "guaranteed sun" do not belong in the same sentence. Someone will whine, but I'd take bets on that one all day. The sunniest area over here is Sun Valley by a wide margin. I've noticed it is not well regarded on this site, and it isn't my favorite, but you want sun. Very likely a piste-only experience there. Good town. Not easy for you to get to. In a typical season the Sierras (most notably Palisades, Heavenly, Kirkwood) are probably the best bet, although this year's record snowfall makes that sound ridiculous. The interior of BC, Utah or CO could work, but to narrow the focus it would help to know if you want to deposit yourselves in one place without a car, or if you are game to bounce around a bit. Also the type of lodging you prefer, and how you want to eat. And the type of skiing you hope to do.

That time of year I would not be too concerned about crowding except on a sunny weekend day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
<laughs> My images from Whistler in March 2022 and March 2023 are certainly sunny, but it is coastal. Which is why it tends to snow every few days, and it's mostly not going to be sunny whilst it's delivering the goods. So there's that. I never had to stand in line for more than about 30 seconds either of those visits, but if you get up late with everyone else and all rush to the main gondola at 09:30 before sessioning the same runs prioer to taking lunch all at the same time... you'll find plenty of company. Seriously, the resort doesn't force people to spread out, but you can easily do it. Post Covid locals tend to get up there Friday through Sunday, so those days are busier. Someone here was complaining about there being too much fresh snow in Whistler - it's worth thinking about what you actually want and why.

March is kind of late season for Whistler - the local heli company shuts at the end of March. It's not peak season any more. In my view the Banff resorts work well late season, and they get less snow, so that's another option. Oh, I was there in March 2022 also, and my images show it was practically empty and sunny, although cold, where and when I was riding. Oh, and there's even "Sunshine" there.

If you've not been anywhere in North America then you can pretty much go anywhere and it'll be an experience. Arguably Whistler is closest to a European resort... which is either why it may be a good place to go, or a bad place, depending on what you want. You can't really go wrong with the two major destinations in BC/AB. The more touristy bits of Colorado would also be low risk.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sun Valley probably about the hardest/most expensive place to get to in US for skiing.

Colorado gets a lot of sunny days, as does Tahoe usually in the spring (this winter's storms have been pretty exceptional) although Miracle Marchs are not unknown snowwise.

Breck will keep lots of snow at that elevation but it's also with Keystone kinda a spring breaky place so Texan students might drive you mad. Aspen is always the better answer re Colorado except if the question is where can I get reasonably priced lodging.

Too late for Jackson

Utah/SLC almost certainly ok but you need to have a city ski trip mindset really there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve not skied everywhere in the US and Canada, but I’ve done my fair share. For your brief I’d be looking at the Tahoe resorts like Heavenly for example. We picked up season passes the year before which worked out a heck of a lot cheaper than buying when there but it does lock you in to the resort (or family of resorts).

I really liked Timberline and Mt Hood Meadows, in fact plan on going back next year. Bachelor looks great too. We like combining skiing with a few days in a city too so San Francisco for Tahoe and we did Seattle for Oregon.

In Canada I’ve only done BC and Alberta but really liked Fernie and have done a lot there. Sunshine is also really good and varied and again fits well with tour operators if that’s how you plan to buy. Banff is also pretty nice (though preferred Canmore personally). Other places to consider might be Big White or Silver Star, though both relatively small. In fact Fernie couldn’t be described as big but it has a lot of variety IMO.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As above I think you need to be a bit more specific in your criteria to really get some appropriate advice...

How do you feel about ski-in / ski-out? Is a must have? Nice or not fussed?
Driving between resorts (so a week in one place then a week somewhere else for example?)
Ability - Are you looking to cruise the groomers all week or try some of the "inbounds terrain"

Check the dates for spring breaks - whilst not a busy as Christmas / Family day there'll be an uptick.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Normally the last week of March at Whistler (ETA: WB hereafter...) is quiet BUT spring break for local schools will be the 2nd half of March AND Easter falls on March 31 (which means more visitors from Mexico & points further south) so I think it will be busier than usual in late March 2024. Keep that in mind for Silverstar/SunPeaks/BigWhite as well, since they are also popular with Vancouver-area families.

To add to @sweaman22's questions:
How do you feel about being 15-30 mins drive from the mountain vs in a village (real or otherwise) at the base of the ski area?

What are your expectations in terms of apres ski? Some places will be too quiet if Ischgl is your kind of place.
Do you like to cook for yourself? Are you a foodie/in need of variety of restaurants?

Do you/your ski partner plan to take any lessons? These are definitely more expensive at WB than you'd find anywhere in Europe, but if you are hankering to try some serious off-piste, the Extremely Canadian program is a good value option.

The q about ability is also one of expectations/preferred type of skiing: the popular blue (intermediate) groomers at WB frequently get mogulled up by mid-morning because of the regular/copious snow. (I was looking at the Warren Smith ski level videos and snorted when I saw the 'off piste' videos for the intermediate skill levels because the terrain looked like groomers at WB....)

Banff/Big3 might suit if you want a lively town with decent eating/drinking options and don't mind a trek out to the slopes by car/bus. The scenery out there is stunning - WB is nice and all, but Banff is jawdropping. I also think they are more likely to offer late season discounts, which are unthinkable at WB.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 6-04-23 2:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Daux28 wrote:
Looking for recommendations for where to ski at the end of March in North America or Canada. First time skiing outside of Europe.

Currently thinking Whistler BC or Breckenbridge, CO - but slightly put off by cost/rumours of extremely crowded lifts. We'd like to guarantee some sunshine skiing, as much as possible (we've just got back from Ischgl and only had one day of sun all week!).

Any advice very welcome! Thanks in advance.

Nowhere in the mountains can guarantee "sunshine skiing." I'd rather go to the USA or Canada and have no sun but have it dumping snow. The big difference between Europe and there is that most runs over there are either tree lined or actually in the trees - so you can see, even in bad weather Very Happy .

Here are a couple of photos of Colorado in February when it was snowing. We had no problem with the visibility, due to the trees .

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WB @AndreaC Puzzled I've guessed it but some might be struggling...(Whistler Blackcomb?)

Quote:
Currently thinking Whistler BC or Breckenbridge, CO
We were more than fortunate to have 10 or 11 days of wall to wall sun when we skied Whistler one March/April years ago. But, as others have said, it's not exactly renowned for that weather. On the other hand, we had a fair bit of rain and awful weather when we skied at Lake Tahoe (and area) in California, despite it's boast of 300 days sun each year.

Having skied a fair few areas in Colorado, British Columbia and Alberta, I'd say that - for a first visit across the pond - you'd definitely enjoy Breckenridge if you want to be near the slopes and ski an extensive area. A very pleasant, cowboy-type town too. On a cautionary note, Mrs MA suffered quite badly with altitude sickness there and ended up on medication. The resort is at 2,900m (10,600ft). It's the only place where it's ever happened to either of us. Interestingly, she had no issues on a trip to Winter Park at 2,740m (9,000 ft) a couple of years later, or when ascending (much more gradually) to 4,200m in the Andes. The problem with Breckenridge appears to be ascending straight to that altitude from Denver.

If you don't mind bussing to the ski areas, Banff, in Alberta, is a very pleasant town, with great ski areas. A good range of accommodation, bars and restaurants too.

A further point is that the Canadian $ is much better value for us Brits than the US $, so Canada is the cheaper option for food and drink. Also, we've done some interesting activities off the slopes in a couple of visits to Banff eg dog sledding, a sightseeing heli flight and a great hike up the (very scenic) frozen Johnson Canyon.

I don't think you'd be disappointed by a trip to either of those places.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Banff, but do something other than skiing on Easter Saturday (dog sledding, ice canyon tour, etc) to avoid the crowd. Though I said that last time and someone thought the crowd I saw was for freshies not linked to holiday.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Keeping an eye on this thread.

We're currently in a similar boat, planning a trip for 8 gents with 4.5 days skiing based in South Lake Tahoe, mainly as I've wanted to ski there since watching G.N.A.R back in the day!

I'm thinking fly out Sun, Mon-Fri am at Heavenly, Kirkwood, Northstar (on the epic pass), Pallisades and Alpine, then a night and morning around SF, fly home Sat evening. Flights, passes, rental, accom (basically everything apart from fodder for the week) is coming in around the £1750 mark which doesnt seem too bad considering how far you're flying. I'm thinking Mon-Fri as weekends can be busy but not sure how busy there compares to say "Zell am see at Feb half term" busy?

Does that sound doable, taking into account Jet Lag? (Last time I did a trip like that, i spent 3 months in Banff many moons ago so I cant remember how it hit)

I'm very much in the "lapping a lift and hitting the soft stuff on the sides" than a "must do every KM of piste in the 3V or I haven't got my money's worth" these days but the scowering Youtube, Tahoe seems to be either knee deep Powder or what looks like not very enjoyable hard packed windswept scratchy stuff, even if is 10ft deep, so certainly considering other options.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Easter weekend this year at Lake Louise may have been busy by local standards but still nothing like a busy week in the alps. Slopes were busier but never crowded. Longest lift q was the base gondola but that was only 5min. Certainly not busy enough to put me off
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jefbenitez, what time of year? I love the Sierras, I’m at Heavenly right now. What you propose is doable. I’d skip Northstar myself or leave it for your short day; however that day at Palisades will cost you about $200 so consider that. Your sense of the snow here is not far wrong, although if you don’t know the difference between powder and fresh snow, you will after you leave Tahoe! Bring food or money; today’s admittedly big lunch for two of flatbread, chicken tenders, soup, candy bar, brownie and two drinks was $74! I laughed. The Dolomites are calling my name…

If you go, check back for some pointers, like: Heavenly’s gondola closes when it is windy, but the Gunbarrel chair can keep running.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scooter in Seattle, we're looking flying out 25th Feb and flying back Sat 2nd March.
Yeah, I'd banked on Palisades being expensive but can't go all that way and not see it. Northstar was just in case Heavenly wasnt big enough for more than a day, that last short day was planned to be on the way back to SF. Would you say Sierra in Tahoe is worth swapping it for or just limit it to Kirkwood, Heavenly and Palisades / Alpine M?

Hope the snow is good for you there!

(I'm just going to ignore how much you paid for lunch and assume that must have been a typo... Shocked Laughing )
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jefbenitez wrote:
just limit it to Kirkwood, Heavenly and Palisades / Alpine M?

I’d say so. They’re the best; try some others next time. If you can drive up the west shore. (CA-89), do so. Heavenly has the best trees and cruising, along with a view that is second to none. Kirkwood is beautiful and has good steeps; lift system is a bit antiquated but still go there. At Palisades I think the Alpine side has better groomers and the Squaw side has epic steeps and bumps. Yes, worth your time and $ to check it out.

As for that lunch being a typo: I wish!
latest report
Jefbenitez wrote:
Northstar was just in case Heavenly wasnt big enough for more than a day

Heavenly not big enough? Then forget about Northstar! You’ll be done with it in a couple hours. Shocked
snow report
cheers both, we'll leave Northstar to last morning, if at all
snow report
I would consider some of the passes like Icon or mountain collective
ski holidays
Northstar if you want groomers and/or constant pitch trees. Can be good on a pow day as the average demo is quite skewed family groomer skier. Plus all the lifts don't get shut by storms.

Heavenly has grown on me but the groomers are full of unguided meat missiles esp on Cali side.

Kweed is the best vibe in Tahoe, rivalled only apparently by Mt Rose. Palisades is a zoo Friday - Sun and pow days. Alpine Shreddows probably better those days.
snow conditions
Mammoth
ski holidays
"Getting there is half the "fun" (labor)......" The same holds true returning. Wherever you are in Europe dictates consideration for non stop flights into the New USSA and back home again. Denver, as a fly-in destination has a lot going for it in terms of relatively convenient in state resorts, (costs withstanding).
AS WELL......... NEW MEXICO, access wise....... Assuming a rental car, the Taos and Angel Fire facilities should not be overlooked. They're a four plus hour super easy drive south on I-25 and notoriously very sunny weather. Their overall - in toto - costs ARE substantially lower to that of Colorado, California. Investigate New Mexico's ski "culture''. It is different. Perhaps to your liking. When conditions are good it is v. well worth the experience. Few know New Mexico, fewer still have skied. Those who know and have skied know how great it can be.
ski holidays
@Death2PC, this isn’t a forum for political views, whatever they are.
ski holidays
Would second Banff and put in a vote for Big Sky, although it can be quite pricey these days. Big Sky
is an easy 45-60 minute drive/shuttle from Bozeman, which is probably a single connection from Denver and
many other US airports.
snow report
Quote:
When conditions are good it is v. well worth the experience. Few know New Mexico
Sounds as though conditions are less than reliable @Death2PC? Or am I wrong? A long way to travel from the UK if that's the case?
snow report
Yes, I'm going to agree with @driz, Mammoth is your best bet in late March. It's somewhat removed from Los Angeles and San Francisco, but has a good late-season snow record and is decent in size. I live near San Francisco, so I first drive to Kirkwood for a day of skiing and then head to Mammoth after I get off the slopes.
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
When conditions are good it is v. well worth the experience. Few know New Mexico
Sounds as though conditions are less than reliable @Death2PC? Or am I wrong? A long way to travel from the UK if that's the case?

What.......? If someone from England travels - in this case - to NA, and they chose Colorado, great. Everyone always goes to Colorado, because, of course, "it's the best", right.....? Nothing can compare, right? Or, might there be other locations in America......? (There ARE) From DIA arrival, New Mexico is an easy extra three/four hours by car to that of a drive typically into Summit County and its offerings. Assuming as I stated that conditions are good, which one always confirms ahead of time......., the two primary resorts mentioned are considerably less expensive, far less skiers, traffic and phenomenal skiing.
We ski a great deal/mostly in Montana. We have a most attractive deal there. If we go elsewhere, domestic or foreign, we always make reservations at the last minute per conditions. It costs more but we always assure ourselves of great skiing.
Objectively, America has become less attractive price wise to that of Europe. Europe is, hands down, THE best deal, period. So, those in Europe - like yourself - should see little necessity to travel so far unless you just feel the need to.
snow report
Death2PC wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

What.......? If someone from England travels - in this case - to NA, and they chose Colorado, great. Everyone always goes to Colorado, because, of course, "it's the best", right.....? Nothing can compare, right? Or, might there be other locations in America......? (There ARE) From DIA arrival, New Mexico is an easy extra three/four hours by car to that of a drive typically into Summit County and its offerings. Assuming as I stated that conditions are good, which one always confirms ahead of time......., the two primary resorts mentioned are considerably less expensive, far less skiers, traffic and phenomenal skiing.
We ski a great deal/mostly in Montana. We have a most attractive deal there. If we go elsewhere, domestic or foreign, we always make reservations at the last minute per conditions. It costs more but we always assure ourselves of great skiing.
Objectively, America has become less attractive price wise to that of Europe. Europe is, hands down, THE best deal, period. So, those in Europe - like yourself - should see little necessity to travel so far unless you just feel the need to.

Which is it? Less expensive because it’s smaller and less variety of terrains. More expensive because you NEED to book last minute to ensure good condition?
snow conditions
Which is it? Less expensive because it’s smaller and less variety of terrains. More expensive because you NEED to book last minute to ensure good condition?

New post Thu 27 Apr, 23
15:35 Reply with quote

ABC - POSTS : Thirteen THOUSAND, nine HUNDRED Fifty-Nine
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
XYZ - POSTS: 1

(Got banned, signed up with a new free email account)
snow report
Puzzled
ski holidays
Hacked... ignore.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 11-06-23 0:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
At that time of year I’d look at Aspen or Telluride. They’re a bit hard to get to so generally have less crowds. Both a bit pricey though.
If dollars don’t allow for those areas look at staying in Bend Oregon and skiing at Mt Bachelor - especially if you are a beer aficionado.
Or for the most bankable surface conditions hit up Alta and Snowbird. Little Cottonwood Canyon has to offer the best lift served combo of terrain and snow quantity/quality on the planet.
ski holidays
I can suggest you the Heavenly Mountain Resort, which is located on the border between California and Nevada.
I was there 2 years ago, and I enjoyed the time spent there with the family. It has a vast ski terrain covering over 4,800 acres, making it one of the largest ski resorts in the United States.

The resort offers a diverse range of slopes for all skill levels, from beginner-friendly runs to challenging expert terrain, and stunning lake views but also plenty of sunshine. March tends to have good snow conditions while also providing sunny days for skiing.

Other details about this resort, but also about other resorts in the region, have been covered in this blog related to anything outdoors.
latest report
Time for a spot of planning, we're staying near Truckee at New Year with family, probably skiing Palisades as that seems to be their preference. Anyone got any good advice or intel on passes ? We;ll be there about 10 days so probably ski 7 or 8. My wife wants to do something else like snowshoeing as she isn;t a massive ski fan, daughter on the other hand will ski from lift open to lift close with sufficient feeding Laughing
snow report
orange, Very nice, probably worth a day at Sugar Bowl too, since you're that close - enjoy Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
orange wrote:
Time for a spot of planning, we're staying near Truckee at New Year with family, probably skiing Palisades as that seems to be their preference. Anyone got any good advice or intel on passes ? We;ll be there about 10 days so probably ski 7 or 8. My wife wants to do something else like snowshoeing as she isn;t a massive ski fan, daughter on the other hand will ski from lift open to lift close with sufficient feeding Laughing

Get Ikon passes by 4 September. Make parking reservations as soon as they go online. Be prepared for everything to cost way more than you expect/ seems reasonable as the US ski industry is on a mission to eat itself through greed.
ski holidays
Go to Canada.

The cost rumours are correct.
snow report
Yeah for that period get a full ikon pass as most days are blacked out for the base pass.

This can mean that crowds are slightly more manageable, but depends if the whole mountain is open. I know from experience this is true for the MLK jr long weekend at Palisades, and it was true for SLC ikon resorts over Christmas / NYE a few years ago, but can't be certain for Palisades at the same period.

Even if it's busy, I'll take an orderly North American queue over the shitshow that is Europe over the same period. Line / queue etiquette is usually excellent and I wonder if the cliched British love of queuing actually is misplaced and should be for Americans in ski resorts.

"Coffee bar" at the base of Palisades does decent coffee. Food options at Alpine meadows are bad, but I prefer the skiing there.
snow conditions
Thanks all - will have a look at Ikon passes and take it from there Happy I did see the pricing and it made Verbier seem quite tame which is alarming !
ski holidays
Tahoe area has a “feast or famine” kind of snow pattern. Christmas can be epic, or despair.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy