Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz family advice March 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I normally ski with friends in Austria but booking a family trip to Avoriaz next march with wife and 3 kids (15, 12, 9). The OH was competent skier but has not been for 10years and the kids are complete beginners, but will probably start them on local dry slopes before travelling. I will book kids into group lessons but they seem to only start on Monday. What are beginners supposed to do on Sunday? Any suggestions on which ski pass is appropriate for beginner kids or do I let the ski school advise? Also, I welcome any advice on ski schools or other good tips to make it an enjoyable trip for all concerned.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For lift passes - just the Avoriaz area pass.

For accommodation - ski school meet at the top/left of town, near the road arrival station and underground car parks (https://www.morzinesourcemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/avoriaz-resort-map.jpg). While it only takes 10-15min to walk up from the bottom/right of town in ski gear, and chair lift/skiable after a day or 2 of lessons somewhere top/left or central in town will be less of a fight in the mornings.

Ski schools - We've always used ESF in Avoriaz and always been happy with them. And group lessons have always started on the Sunday...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mjit, +1.
One of the blocks in Falaise (Saskia, Douchka, Elinka, Malinka) area or Amara would be ideal.
This area of the town is also quieter of an evening, yet only a few minutes walk from the main drag.
ESF do Sunday - Friday. Over the years we've used all the ski schools in Avoriaz, for boarding I'd use Evo2 or Mint, for skiing ESF.
Depending on how well the children get on before the trip, it might be worth getting a Debutant area pass for the first couple of days, then an Avoriaz 3 day and maybe a PdS one as a last day treat if they've made good progress because you can get to Switzerland and back on Blues.
Also Pierre et Vacances (from whom you can book Saskia & Amara directly sometimes sell a accommodation + pass package) that could be worth looking into.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mjit wrote:
For accommodation - ski school meet at the top/left of town, near the road arrival station and underground car parks (https://www.morzinesourcemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/avoriaz-resort-map.jpg). While it only takes 10-15min to walk up from the bottom/right of town in ski gear, and chair lift/skiable after a day or 2 of lessons somewhere top/left or central in town will be less of a fight in the mornings.

I would second that, but for a different reason. You cannot park outside your accommodation, unload, and then drive to the car park like in most other places. On arrival you either park in the underground/outdoor car parks, or are dropped off from the transfer coach at the top of town. Avoriaz is car free, so you then have to lug all your luggage from the car park area to your accommodation - down snow/slush covered streets occupied by a multitude of skiers, snowboarders, pedestrians, horse drawn sleighs and skidoos.

You can hire a horse drawn sleigh/taxi - I think it cost us 13Euros one way. Young kids might enjoy this. Or you can drag a sledge/wheelbarrow type thing for which you need 1euro (a bit like a Tescos trolley). Which is OK if you are going down hill - but if it's down hill on the way to your accommodation then it'll be uphill on the way back! And on a busy transfer Saturday the sledges are rare as hens teeth.

We were in the Sosna 2 block, just down (and then up again!) from the Aquariaz. It's just about ski out, but ain't ski in.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Judwin, you missed off the main/most common optiion for getting bags around town, the big piste basher buses.

We were down the very bottom of town for half term week the year before last and think it was a 15 to 20min wait between booking one and getting picked up for the arrival/departure transfer (so when they are at their busiest).

One tip on arrival is to know which area of town you're in (from the map I posted earlier) and then look up. No, higher up. No higher than that! When you arrive, by car at least you go into a relativly small drop off area where you're busy watching out for people/bags/cars/a space and not looking up at the signs high in the rafters that divide the snow side of the drop-off area into resort sections. So for cars it's arrive, kick out bags/passengers/get out of Dodge to free up a space and drop the car in the car park, then walk back and move your party to the snow side area that corresponds to the area of town you're in, based on the signs you didn't see when you drove in.

It's not as bad as that makes it sound and certainly busy transfer days there are plenty of staff around. Thankfully we arrived quite late so didn't spend too long standing in the wrong queue (because we hadn't seen the rafter signs) before speaking to a member of staff (who couldn't have been more helpful - impressive late on a peak week transfer day!).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mjit wrote:
@Judwin, you missed off the main/most common optiion for getting bags around town, the big piste basher buses.

We were down the very bottom of town for half term week the year before last and think it was a 15 to 20min wait between booking one and getting picked up for the arrival/departure transfer (so when they are at their busiest).

One tip on arrival is to know which area of town you're in (from the map I posted earlier) and then look up. No, higher up. No higher than that! When you arrive, by car at least you go into a relativly small drop off area where you're busy watching out for people/bags/cars/a space and not looking up at the signs high in the rafters that divide the snow side of the drop-off area into resort sections. So for cars it's arrive, kick out bags/passengers/get out of Dodge to free up a space and drop the car in the car park, then walk back and move your party to the snow side area that corresponds to the area of town you're in, based on the signs you didn't see when you drove in.

It's not as bad as that makes it sound and certainly busy transfer days there are plenty of staff around. Thankfully we arrived quite late so didn't spend too long standing in the wrong queue (because we hadn't seen the rafter signs) before speaking to a member of staff (who couldn't have been more helpful - impressive late on a peak week transfer day!).

We are staying in Crozats so that appears to be fairly central but I will be collecting keys from a concierge service in PLace de Dromonts . I am undecided on whether to book a car or a transfer from Geneva. I don't plan to drive anywhere during the week so may decide based on price unless there is some benefit of driving to Avoriaz? I presume the transfer company drop you in same location.

Thanks to all for advice on ski school and confirming the Sunday start. Not sure about the passes though. I expect them to pick it up fairly quickly as they are all sporty and 9+. Is the Debutant pass very restrictive?
I can't tell from the lift names if these are just button lifts on green/blues or if there is scope to progress. Also, does the Avoriaz pass cover Morzine and Les Gets, and then PDS covers all else, incl swiss resorts?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
martebart wrote:
Is the Debutant pass very restrictive?
I can't tell from the lift names if these are just button lifts on green/blues or if there is scope to progress.
From https://www.avoriaz.com/en/winter-activities/ski-et-snow/lift-passes/
Quote:
LIFT PASS FOR BEGINNERS

This lift pass comes in 5-hour, 1-day and 2-day versions and gives you access from Avoriaz 1800 to the different beginners’ areas where you can make gentle progress. It can be used on the following lifts: 3S des Prodains (express cable car), TS du Plateau (chairlift), TS du Tour (chairlift), TS des Dromonts 1 et 2 (chairlifts), TSK Trashers (ski tow), TSK des Ecoles 1 et 2 (ski tows), TSK Chapelle (ski tow), TC Super Morzine (gondola), TS Zore (chairlift), TSK Baron (ski tow), TS Serraussaix (chairlift), TS Proclou (chairlift), TC Ardent (gondola), TS Léchère (chairlift), and TSK Barmettes (ski tow).
Abbreviations used: TS=Télésiège=Chair lift, TSK=Téléski=Drag lift, TC=Télécabine=cable car.

martebart wrote:
Also, does the Avoriaz pass cover Morzine and Les Gets, and then PDS covers all else, incl swiss resorts?
No, the Avoriaz 1800 area does not include them. Yes, PdS does cover Swiss side as well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
martebart wrote:
I can't tell from the lift names if these are just button lifts on green/blues or if there is scope to progress. Also, does the Avoriaz pass cover Morzine and Les Gets, and then PDS covers all else, incl swiss resorts?

The debutant pass covers quite a decent sized area, not just the beginner plateau, but all the way to Super Morzine which is big wide blues and greens, down thru the town all the way to Prodains which is a Red.

Really if you are in Avoriaz in March, the best and most accessible skiing is unlikely to be in Morzine / Les Gets ( Its lower and a bit of a schlepp). You'd be best served in the Avoriaz pass zone and exploring Arare, Fornet, Mosettes, Lindarets etc.. as these are all accessible within 1 lift. Whereas for Morzine / Les Gets you'd either need a Bus from Prodains to the Pleney or to descend in the Super Morzine Gondola and cross town either on foot or with the little train. But if you're meeting friends from Les Gets for lunch then heading down the mountain to Morzine would be a good call.

If you do plump for the PdS pass, going to Les Crossets in CH, or over to the Plaine Dranse / Pre La Joux / Linga sectors of the Chatel zone would be more easily accessible than going down into Morzine and back up.

There's plenty for beginners just on the Avoriaz pass, but if you can pony up the extra for the PdS pass, you'll be amazed to see how far you can get during the kids lessons.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
martebart wrote:
We are staying in Crozats so that appears to be fairly central but I will be collecting keys from a concierge service in PLace de Dromonts . I am undecided on whether to book a car or a transfer from Geneva. I don't plan to drive anywhere during the week so may decide based on price unless there is some benefit of driving to Avoriaz? I presume the transfer company drop you in same location.

Prices can go up and down, blah, blah, blah - but at a guess a hire car will be cheaper, depending how light/heavy you pack.

This year the classic shared private minibus transfers were €100 pp/rtn - but also very hard to get your hands on (firms just struggled to get drivers and fewer drivers meant fewer vans so book early if you're going that option). With 5 of you that gives you a €500 budget for a hire car/tolls/fuel, which should get you a good-sized bus but if everyone has skis and 2 huge hold bags...

I think most transfer companies take you to the same Avoriaz drop-off location but it's not the only option so worth checking/potentially electing for a transfer to Prodains and taking the gondola up - from where you can call a basher-cab to get to your accomodation (which isn't too bad as every cab treking people down from the main drop-off to the bottom of town has to drive back up, either empty or with some paying passengers from Prodains). I have a feeling it's generally the cheapest transfers that use Prodains by default but the private ones can be booked there too (saves them driving all the way up the hill and the road there/back takes you through Morzine so no issues adding eaxtra stops to full the bus).

martebart wrote:
Thanks to all for advice on ski school and confirming the Sunday start. Not sure about the passes though. I expect them to pick it up fairly quickly as they are all sporty and 9+. Is the Debutant pass very restrictive?

I'll let you read the link someone posted but have a feeling you could only get the Debutant pass for 3 days or something which meant going back to top it up mid-week. First world problem, yes but up to you to price lazyness Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@martebart, What dates did you book in the end ?
We are heading out on Good Friday
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Neville, A good Friday indeed!
We are there the previous week, returning on Easter Saturday March 23. I think that may be a fairly quiet week. I booked ESF ski lessons for the 3 kids. 6 all day lessons for €305 seems like great value ($10 per hour). Flying to Lyon due to extortionate Geneva prices. Booked a car from rentscape despite their awful reviews.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
*correction: we are there March 23-30
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
we'll wave as we pass you on the way in Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy