Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from Calais to Les Arcs. Route and hotel recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Evening!

Leaving the UK on Friday 31st March to arrive in Les Arcs on Saturday 1st April. We're coming into Calais at 1455 via the Chunnel.

Would love a route recommendation please, and recommendations of places to stay overnight aound halfway between Calais and LA. Looking for somewhere with family rooms, easy access to food and around €115 max for the night.

Thank you!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Really depends when you want to arrive. Dijon is probably the place to aim for if you are getting into Calais for 3pm - you would get there around 9pm with a stop for dinner. The b&B hotel brands are good - cheap and cheerful and often next to supermarkets and restaurants. We normally stay in the holiday inn express though in Dijon if we leave early enough but it was booked out the last time I looked. This year we are in B&b hotel in Troyes as we won’t be getting to Calais until 5pm.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

you would get there around 9pm with a stop for dinner

That makes sense if you want to put kids straight to bed when you get there. The French motorway service aires can generally produce something half decent, if not very exciting, to eat. Some of the cheap hotels have nothing but a vending machine in the foyer. Think about the time you want to arrive in resort. When can you access your accommodation?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The closer you can be to les arcs the better. We stopped at Troyes last time and left at 8am the next morning. We took the road from Amberieu-en-Bugey over to Chambery and stopped for sandwiches on the way. Lesson learnt, this meant we then took HOURS to get from Albertville through to the Tarentaise valley. The sooner you can get through Moutiers, the better
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is that 14.55 tunnel or arrive in Calais at 14.55 French time ? 4 hours driving would get you to Troyes or if in France earlier go for Dijon . That week the roads around Albertville to Bourg shouldn’t be half term scale but will be busy . I take it you can’t get in your Les Arcs accommodation till mid afternoon. So route go via Reims not Paris . The Troyes BandB chain is on a shopping estate with plenty of other Hotels , Ibis budget with lots of fast food and restaurants around it and a cheap fuel station . When you drive to Chambrey the direct route is A6 to Lyon round Lyon airport to Chambrey or you could go via the motorway on the chicken run , as known via Bresse and then turn towards Lyon Airport or go cross country via Bugey . The quickest is the A6 to Lyon
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We always use the autoroute. Calais - Rheims - Bourg en Bresse - St Expury - Chambery - Albertville - Bourg st Maurice - Les Arcs. Usually it takes about 9 to 10 hours. I cannot be bothered to stop overnight. I did, once try the cross country route from Annecy and the Comet du Roseland. It was very scenic but painfully slow.

Almost the whole journey is done on cruise control at 130 listening to talking books.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been driving to the Alps for over 40 years and to La plagne for the last 20 ( where do the years go!) I use almost the same route as @johnE, above except we go straight on rather than veering off via Bourg en Bresse.
For your overnight I would try a BB Hotels around Troyes or Dijon - BB Hotels can be found close to the motorway junction easy to find and easy to get back on the journey in the morning. https://www.hotel-bb.com/en/france/hotels-france. For Fuel there is a Supermarket just off the Epernay junction as you go around Reims and then Tournos is a good option just off the motorway with 2 competing fuel stations. Once in the Valley the E LeClerc supermarket just off the N90 at Aime sells Diesel guaranteed down to -20c (not that should be a problem in April!) Don't forget you will still need to carry winter tyres OR socks/chains just in case. Plenty struggled to get out of La Plagne Saturday morning apparently.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 12-03-23 18:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

the Comet du Roseland.

The Cormet de Roselend is generally closed all winter
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, You are right it doesn't open until May. I am Sorry I tend to drive down summer and winter and forgot that at 1600m the Cormet de Roseland will probably still be snow covered in April.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with @boredsurfin, that though winter tyres or snow chains will not be a legal requirement in April I suggest you carry some chains - just in case. One of the very few times I needed chains to get up to Les Arcs was in April. Mind you you could just wait a couple hours until the road clears.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I swear by B&B hotels (the ones that don't have access to rooms on the outside) and also Ace hotels for family rooms. Ace are newer so a bit more modern, but not as many and potentially nothing mid way. Both tend to have an eaterie next door......although a supermarket isn't usually far away. Can grab some food/bottle of wine for the room (microwaves and hot water/kettles) usually available in the hotels plus fuel up ready for the morning.

Around Dijon or plus 30 mins is where I'd be looking. All depends on your comfort levels/driving tolerance. I tend to avoid more than 6 hours (drive time) so that I can enjoy the journey as part of the holiday with the family.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did that last year and stayed in Ibis Budget in Troyes, ate at McD

Hotel was fine for the 7 hours we were in it. McD was McD but did the trick, long story but a lot of very tired folk when we got there.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It looks like you might not be coming down this way but last month we stopped at the Relais Fleuri just outside Avallon off the A6. Around 105€ with comfy beds, clean everything, a spacious room for 3 AND a reasonably priced bar where you can have a drink and a charcuterie platter (and more) late at night. Was very appreciated Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy