Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hold an edge in icy conditions...

Poster: A snowHead
This came up and it entertained me... ok, its a brand video, but its not your run-of-the-mill offering.
And I then recalled Chemmys guide earlier this year on SS on how to handle ice. Enjoy.

http://youtube.com/v/kS9oRkkn0us
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowHead When my son went out with some top qualified BASI Val d'Isere instructors (one of whom he was sharing a studio with) on their day off they were at the top of a steep, totally icy, slope. He's a good skier, and not faint-hearted by a long way, but he was more than a little worried. They told him to side slip it, on flat skis, and not think about edging till he came to a more friendly looking bit of snow. He was petrified, convinced he would die, but reckoned the guys knew what they were talking about, and did it. And survived.

That guy on the video is a master - of recovery amongst many other things. How can he recover after toppling over backwards? Miraculous. He can board on ice and can probably walk on water.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cool clip @Richard_Sideways, notice how it's enacting the grip almost completely on the end points of the the camber geometry, just those two points to support turning.

Shows just how little edge is needed to support centrifugal imposed mass to do this, similar to ice skating in that regard.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blimey.

Though I do suspect having a very level surface helps
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
snowHead When my son went out with some top qualified BASI Val d'Isere instructors (one of whom he was sharing a studio with) on their day off they were at the top of a steep, totally icy, slope. He's a good skier, and not faint-hearted by a long way, but he was more than a little worried. They told him to side slip it, on flat skis, and not think about edging till he came to a more friendly looking bit of snow. He was petrified, convinced he would die, but reckoned the guys knew what they were talking about, and did it. And survived.

Yes, that's your get-out-of-jail-free card for icy patches if you're not at a sufficient standard to ski it properly, but sharp edges, stiff skis, good angulation and enough speed can allow astonishing levels of grip on all but the most glassy of icy pistes.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's great if your icy piste only involves frontside (right turns), what if you need to do a backside ice carve or turn to the left?
I guess : stop, switch bindings to goofy stance (or open the rear binding to duck, and ride switch), then do your left (now frontside) turn. But if you're gonna stop, you could just point the board where you wanna go then ride it flat. Nice vid though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
isnt this just an advert for Never Summer snowboards?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@OuatteDePhoque, Well with the amount of heel-hang Larson is showing on that setup, yes - for proper boned-out Eurocarvers, no, you run such an aggressive +/+ stance that you're just leaning out on your heelside like you do toe-side.

@Gored, yes, but you don't have to buy one.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways wrote:

@Gored, yes, but you don't have to buy one.

good, becuase Never Summer are crap
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I hear they can't hold an edge....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Better on edge with a never summer as even on ice I reckon you would come to stop pretty quickly due to the crappy bases Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pretty sure thats filmed in New Zealand on a "pow" day Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
pam w wrote:

Yes, that's your get-out-of-jail-free card for icy patches if you're not at a sufficient standard to ski it properly, but sharp edges, stiff skis, good angulation and enough speed can allow astonishing levels of grip on all but the most glassy of icy pistes.

Plus a high level of strength and fitness …. Most one or two week a year skiers probably do not have the requirements in this department to fully commit to edges on hard icy pistes (I speak as an unfit one or two week a year skier currently in Alta Badia ! )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Respect also for his joint flexibility!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is lots to learn from this for skiers! Get on and completely commit to the outside ski, obviously. Progressive pressure. High edge angle. And sharp edges. The sharp edges part was brought home this week for us. My wife has elan skis that have a dedicated left ski and right ski. I had prepared her skis before the holiday with super sharp edges knowing we would be skiing artificial/scraped pistes. On day 2 she started noticing less grip, and on inspection one edge of each ski was indeed a bit less sharp (makes sense as she was essentially only using one edge of each ski). Thankfully I had brought the kit to sharpen her edges and did it daily for the rest of the week.
ski holidays
ski holidays
Shocked
latest report
Good grief, that picture above ⬆️

That is the one (and possibly only) thing that I'm in awe of skiers for, the racing at warp speed on approaching vertical walls of ice.
Mental snowHead too
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy