Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question about skin width

Poster: A snowHead
I recently acquired a pair of skis with a 116mm waist width, while my primary skis have a 98mm waist. Can I use the skins from my 98mm skis temporarily on my new skis until I purchase new skins? I rarely ski on hard snow in backcountry and have read of people splitting their skins down the middle, but I would prefer not to do this unless it is effective. Can you provide examples of this method? I have searched the internet a bit on this topic but I am getting many different answers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can use them, it will be suboptimal.

You can split your skins, you need to leave 10cm or so intact at top and bottom. It is a bit of a faff though. Even more so it if it windy and you are taking skins off. However 116 is wide and any skins will be heavy. WTF do you want 116mm touring skis for anyway? That's almost snowboard width.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tridav3, splitting works quite well, not much magic to it, just follow @davidof’s instructions. I did a pretty ugly job with a pen knife on some old skins. Looked terrible, worked fine. If you have skin near the edge for the middle 50cm or so, that will provide decent grip

You might just get away with not splitting the skins if you’re always in fresh snow or a very nice skin track. As soon as it gets steep or technical, it will be hopeless though
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
You can use them, it will be suboptimal.

You can split your skins, you need to leave 10cm or so intact at top and bottom. It is a bit of a faff though. Even more so it if it windy and you are taking skins off. However 116 is wide and any skins will be heavy. WTF do you want 116mm touring skis for anyway? That's almost snowboard width.

Canuckistan innit? Probably deeper snow than the Chartreuse wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Canuckistan innit? Probably deeper snow than the Chartreuse wink

certainly at the moment.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Currently my only skins are the split type (by manufacture). Works well for fatter skis, keeps the weight down and on most traverse of steeper slopes you are only using the sides of the skis. When you take them off then instead of sticking one skin to the other stick one side/half of each skin to the other side/half. Job done.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plus I can share one set of skins between my Directors and Ragnaroks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are real cheapskate / budget you can buy straight skins off the roll and split them, as Midget says you only really need the side of your skis to be covered.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You could use the narrower skins on especially low angle skin tracks...but eventually, you'll want skins to fit your skis IMHO.

Split skins...interesting. Have to admit they aren't really on my radar. Black Diamond here (Salt Lake City) sold skins with a strip in the middle for wide skis but I think they discontinued them. Made them a bit easier to remove as I recall.

Maybe the skinners in your local area aren't that steep, but, here they can be. And, when they get a bunch of use, they can get slick. Most folks who tour locally here have wall-to-wall coverage. Slipping backwards in the skin track can really take the mojo out of a ski tour...

My widest touring skis are 116 at the waist. My daily drivers are 112. They both have their own custom cut skins.

I prefer to remove the skins with my skis on. Split skins might be a bit fiddly especially if it was a windy day. I might also worry about them sticking to the ski if lap skiing on a cold day...

Split skins...interesting. Never seen a pair in use here (nor know anyone who uses them). Hmm.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Really, with the cost of all the equipment for ski touring rising above €2000 these days, does an extra €150 for the correct skins really need to spoil your (and those with you) day???
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That said, I think you could get away with the same skins for 116 and 112 mm skis
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can also have a look for skins on the 2nd hand market, especially if you live in a skiing area. People break or lose skis all the time, and the corresponding skins become surplus to requirements.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Likely could...excepting that the tips of the skis are different and the skins fit each (ones a large loop to fit that ski's wide tip profile, another is a little bent piece of wire that fits through the hole in the tip).

The big wall-to-wall skins for my 116's fit that profile exactly. I'd have no edges available on the 112's using those skins. But, excepting that, sure, not much difference.

Kinda like folks that use quiver killers to only run one set of bindings...I rather have each set up stand alone. But, that's just me. Grab and go (skis are stored with their respective skin bag).

And, really, with the cost of one day of lift served skiing here, backcountry touring instead saves more than the full retail cost of just about any climbing skin (!).

Good times.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KenX wrote:
Really, with the cost of all the equipment for ski touring rising above €2000 these days, does an extra €150 for the correct skins really need to spoil your (and those with you) day???

jeez, what are you skiing, gold plated bindings or something?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
KenX wrote:

Quick look at Barrebes, some average prices:

Avy beacon - 300
Shovel - 50
Probe - 75
Skis - 600
Binding - 400
Boots - 500
Poles - 75
Skins - 100
Pack - 100

Toss in an airbag and you're north of 3k.

Gold plated bindings would bump that up even higher. ATK Freeraiders are 700USD (see them online in Europe on sale for 550-ish).

Any amount of high end gear is going to just about double those prices. Full retail of course. And skis? Volkl V-werks or DPS? Etc? Sky's the limit.
snow report
davidof wrote:
KenX wrote:

Natch!!!

Screenshot 2023-02-08 07.53.38 by Ken Reeve, on Flickr
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy