Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time to buy a snowboard?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all. I just got back from my annual snow-holiday and I'm wondering if now is the time to think about buying a snowboard...

I've done a total of about 7 weeks boarding but with a 10 year gap between the first 4 and latter 3. Something clicked after those 10 years and I started to enjoy it way more and got more confident. I got myself some boots a few years ago and I'm comfortable on blues and reds and I do enjoy the odd adrenaline fueled "let's see how fast I can go" (within limits).

I've been teaching my partner the basics, she's comfortable on blues when traversing but hasn't quite got comfortable with speed so is often traversing the piste a LOT. This slowed me down a bit this year and made me realise that I don't have to go fast to challenge myself - I started playing in the fluffy stuff at the side of the piste and practicing switch. But every year I go, I end up with what appears to be a budget/beginner board and if I tell them I'm not a beginner, all I get is a slightly longer board of the same type, so I've not really had an opportunity to try different styles or setups to understand what I like.

I think next year, I'll be financially comfortable enough to get a couple of trips in per year to get more slope time so I'm going to aim for 2 weeks per year.

Anyway, long story short - I want to get better control of my board, get comfortable with switch riding and start some basic tricks, jumps etc. And it got me thinking, would I enjoy it more/progress quicker with my own board? And if yes, where the hell do I start to understand/test stuff?!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gow87, your experience of hire shops sounds very familiar, and like you're ready to go shopping.

Start off by being honest about your riding and what you want from your setup - though it sounds like you're right in the middle of the 'All Mountain Board' zone for now. Theres a lot of choice out there in that field so if you can get somewhere to try some out then you can get a feel for what you like - and certainly a feel for what a non-rental is like. If it happens, the snowheads Oktobertest is in...october, and we have had the K2/Ride guys down (although they couldn't make last year). There are other test days throughout the year at various slopes around the UK and I think that some of the retail shops at the snowdomes will let you trial boards too, but best to phone ahead to make sure what their Ts and Cs are around that...

Look for last years stock for bargains, end-of-season sales or 2nd hand if they're not too old (People have a habit of flogging on really old boards on eBay etc. so make sure you know what you're getting into if you go down that route), but remember to be wary if you need an odd size (i.e. you need a wide because you have big feet). Don't forget you will need a set of bindings! All too easy to get all caught up in the new and shininess of boards and forget to budget for something to attach yourself to it with...

As for actual kit, there are a few obvious contenders - Jones Mountain Twin are very popular, the Ride Twinpig, The perennial Burton Custom (though go for a camber board) and the YES Basic. Have a root through some of the review sites for opinions on kit, I always liked The Angry Snowboarder, The Good Ride and maybe Whitelines.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Richard_Sideways, Cheers!

I'm all for buying last season stuff. I think my entire kit was bought out of season for a bargain. I don't think I'm unusually shaped in anyway so should be good on that front - small feet, skinny build.

I guess the only other thing to consider is board size - I know when I tell people I'm intermediate, they give me a slightly longer board... I'm assuming that's personal preference and that a longer board is just a bit more stable when going a bit faster/carving?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I'm assuming that's personal preference

This.

The old 'longer is faster is more better!' thing is dead and buried with a ski pole through it heart (or should be). In these more enlightened times, look to what camber you want, the sidecut, the stiffness of the board (something stiffer will be more responsive but less forgiving) and flex, as well as the length and width. Think a bit about your riding, if you're popping on and off the side hits, you're going to want something softer, more springy, and a twin tip, but not a total noodle park-board as you're also on the pistes quite a lot. If you're going a bit slower to help your partner you're probably not going to want something too fast, and blasting point-to-point.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In resort I think most rental shops stock snowboards as an afterthought. They stock boards made for rental so they're easier to maintain. If you pay for an advanced model you end up with a newer board, maybe a stiffer board but still the same type.

If you're anywhere near Milton Keynes or Tamworth I know those two have shops that will lend you demo boards. In my experience there was no problem borrowing a few (one at a time), and if I go again I'd borrow a branded board rather than the rentals. They have a long list but only in certain sizes, more of an issue for me being 6'2" and size 10 feet, if you're more average size you'll be fine.

The most important things to consider are flex and your weight.

If you're learning or like a lot of park, they would normally recommend a softer, more flexible board; if you like carving and charging then you would go for a more stiff model, at the expense of probably needing more skill to ride it. Or if you want a bit of everything then choose a mid flex.

Length of board is relative to your weight, Longer boards can support more weight so if a shop gives you a longer board it approximates a stiffer board and if you're heavier for your height you'll generally be able to manipulate a shorter board more easily. Shorter boards also have tighter turning circles. Each manufacturer usually lists the recommended weight range for a board.

I think there was a good opportunity the last few years with stores having excess stock and slow sales but looking at new prices this season, the prices really seem to have gone up. Good boards do come up on ebay. If you buy on ebay just don't overpay, and read between the lines in the description, make sure there's good pictures and ask the seller questions. Mistakes happen but do people really buy boards and use for 'just 3 days in powder' before deciding they don't like it? In the end, if you just want the consistency of having your own board then buying on ebay is probably no worse than renting a beaten up board from a hire shop and at least you can learn about it in different conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would rather die the death of a thousand cuts than be seen on a snowboard Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gow87, Buy skis, you can explore more terrain, its more fun, you dont get a cold bum, etc etc etc............... wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In my opinion board stiffness is the key thing, at least for riding hardpack and powder. I've a range of different length boards, all of which are perfect for my weight, they are just different designs. So whilst a longer board is generally stiffer within one model range, you can't compare board "lengths" across models because the stiffness depends on the design.

You can't really expect someone working in a shop to even be a snowboarder, never mind know what would work for someone they've never seen ride. In BC they'll rent you a board which'll work for a novice. If you know what you want... you're probably not a novice, and they probably won't argue with your choice. You can rent precisely what you want from most places, but then you'll likely be paying more for it than just renting some "rental" gear.

Quote:
skis, you can explore more terrain, its more fun, you don't get a cold bum,
Don't waste snow by skiing it...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most resorts have at least one shop with a reasonable selection of boards. Even Bansko did, but I knew where to look. It sounds like an all-mountain twin would work for you so start there. Profile wise hybrid camber is intended for all-mountain boards. BUT there are variations that some like and some do not. If you search on absolute snow and good ride it will bring up a selection of boards which you can research further then look for a previous years model when you decide. The best advice is to try before you buy but thats not always possible.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I would rather die the death of a thousand cuts than be seen on a snowboard

You might not have too long a wait..........

Fortunately other contributions more helpful.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Angry snowboarder is quite decent as it can point you to similar boards. Eg look up jones mountain twin & his review will link comparable boards.
Also, look at how you travel. If flying, how much extra for a board, or can you take a boardbag instead of luggage case, etc.
So it is not only a board, you need a bag & also bindings. Good to have an idea what you want now & start looking. Sales will prob start early March to start acquiring gear.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all your help... so it sounds like while I'm still learning and want to mix it up a bit, an all mountain (twin-tip, mid flex) would suit pretty well. If I ever start leaning into speed/charging along pistes, something firmer might suffice and if I spend all my time in the park, something a bit softer. Sounds like until I figure out what I want, stick to the middle of everything.

I noticed there's a directional twin too... Sounds like it'd be more for powder/piste and the odd bit of switch - which for some reason appeals to me?

As for size and weight. I'm 5'8, narrow shoulders and around 11st but this is probably the heaviest I've been... so by no means am I large!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gow87,

My partner was in the same position as you find yourself in with yours. So I bought her a setup. Im taking gear anyway, so now she don't have to rent. She came on leaps & bounds the 1st week of using her own gear. Rental stuff you just never know what you are getting & I guess everyone tries to rent cheapest shop & cheapest gear which changes year to year.
Don't be afraid to buy a last seasons board or even the previous one. The spec can change each year. Not just the graphics top layer & not always a good change! Lots of information for reviews out there. May also be worth asking in a dedicated snowboard forum. This place is probably 90% skiing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would buy a board in your position, if only for consistency of riding the same board.

I have a GNU Riders Choice which is probably the spec for the sort of board you want regarding how you say you ride and related board performance, but maybe not price. Read the write up on it the try to get something similar in performance but cheaper.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gow87 wrote:

I noticed there's a directional twin too... Sounds like it'd be more for powder/piste and the odd bit of switch - which for some reason appeals to me?

As for size and weight. I'm 5'8, narrow shoulders and around 11st but this is probably the heaviest I've been... so by no means am I large!

Directional twin usually means the bindings and/or sidecut are set back on the board which gives more nose lift in powder. Because of the set back, you'll be more disadvantaged when riding switch but the twin nature means it's easier than a purely directional board. Some boards have a subtle setback, some more aggressive, some can actually be set up centred and some like the Yes Standard have slam back inserts which is an extra set of holes to get right back on the board on a pow day.

Another site not mentioned worth a look is snowboard profiles, the advice pages have quite a lot of info that covers this. The problem with all review sites is it's completely subjective but you'll find a general consensus forming.

You should have no problem finding something 2nd hand, whether on ebay, FB, Gumtree etc. the advantage being if you're sensible with bidding and you don't like it you can probably sell it around the same price.

Also don't buy a board based on your girlfriend's/friend/uncle/cat current level because people (presumably) improve fairly quickly. Especially if you start going together regularly. Buy a board based on the kind of riding you see yourself doing.
latest report
@Gow87,

A shout out for the Yes Typo. Ok, the model I've got is the 2017 model but it's great, twin tips, medium flex so it can carve well in differing radii and is great fun in soft and fluffy stuff too. Don't know about park because I'm an old fart!

I read every review I could possibly read about beginners/intermediate/all terrain boards and went for this one without trying it, a sort of educated guess.

I would say that it sounds like you want a medium flex board, definitely not soft and that absolutely includes bindings.

Apart from that, get a board, you'll never look back.

@nevis1003,
Quote:

I would rather die the death of a thousand cuts than be seen on a snowboard

Honestly mate, this snowboarding lark is easy, especially in soft stuff. So much so I wonder why I spent so many years learning how to ski. Ok, I love skiing, I really do, but only because I've invested so much time and money getting to where I am. With the board on the other hand, I'm very nearly at the same level and I've got under 5 weeks on the board (and proud of it). Don't knock it until you have gone through the pain barrier and really tried it! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
See Sick and Wrong website - the odd option for super-low-price, yet new, older season boards. Nidecker Axis 155 appears to fit the bill for you in terms of weight/size etc.
snow conditions
@Gow87 - where are you based?

As @silentice had already said, The Snowboard Asylum have a pretty decent range of demo boards you can try.

When it comes to looking for your first board, I always suggest eBay, but then I'm a tight back bottom and biased. I did get this beautiful board off there a few years ago and this Salomon Villain , which I'm also rather fond of.

As @Gainz said though, most resorts have at least one decent snowboard rental place - you just need to avoid the likes of Skiset, Intersport etc and maybe contact them in advance to not get stung too much with the "walk-up" price.

And if it's after the European half-term holidays of February, you might also stand a chance of buying a half-decent ex-rental direct.
snow report
@jebroni3_16, I'm in East Yorkshire - nearest slope is Castleford Snozone and I believe there's a TSA there. Might have to go and have a play!

@wiigman, Will check it out, cheers! What made you suggest the 155? Looks like I can get one for £99? Seems to be a shorter size than other's I've ridden... I'm actually 5'8.5"... does the half inch make a difference? (in this context) Laughing

@gixxerniknik, I'm still apprehensive about park - I'm only 35 but feel as though I would almost certainly break something Very Happy. I am a fan of your approach of just research, buy and see what I get. I'm very conscious that because I only do this once a year currently, I don't really spend any time dialing in my set up, adjusting bindings etc. so I'm not even sure I'd tell much difference between boards! Especially if the only practice I can get is going down a 6s run at the local slope.
snow report
One final question for anyone still here... I REALLY like the look of the nidecker supermatics. Would I be crazy to get some? Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

nidecker supermatics

Crazy? no, but I'd be a bit more wary - guy I work with has a pair and is going to give them a proper trial when he is out at half-term. I suspect they aren't quite as easy in - easy out as the promo videos would say. I tried a set of Flow bindings (and yeah they are different but the concept seems similar) and found them just as much if not more faff as a traditional binding, getting you foot in but particularly getting it out again. I like a firm, locked-in feeling to my bindings and I couldn't get that with the Flows unless I had them tightened down to the point you couldn't get in or out easily, so I stayed with regular bindings. Having seen a couple of review videos of the Supermatics, I suspect I'd have the same problem.
snow report
I'd say not, buy what you want!

there's a thread here

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161023
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, I've watched a youtube video of someone comparing the flows, step-ons and supermatics and he mentioned a similar issue with the flows but suggested it wasn't as much a problem with the supermatics... I'm sure there's gonna be more reviews as they start to get around.

Note. I've found a nidecker axis for £99 (not sure on the year so going to go and ask) and also like the look of the Yes Basic or Typo so will start hunting for those too... Then I just need to figure out how to cram in more snow holidays per year!
snow report
Re size - I'm 5ft10 and riding a 153cm (as I like to go a bit shorter) happily in all conditions (even heavy pow), so you'll be fine on that 155. BUT I think maybe you should ride some TSA stuff to know what you like in terms of stiffness etc. You will learn a lot pretty quickly on Rocker vv Camber vv Flat base etc.
@wiigman, Will check it out, cheers! What made you suggest the 155? Looks like I can get one for £99? Seems to be a shorter size than other's I've ridden... I'm actually 5'8.5"... does the half inch make a difference? (in this context) Laughing
ski holidays
@wiigman, Cheers. Will get myself to TSA ASAP!
ski holidays
For £99 I'd go for it - 155 should be fine. For that money you can always move it on if you fine something else without fretting too much about cost - you'd cover that in 2 rentals or so... leaves you more to find the right bindings too - theres some reasonable deals on bindings over on Absolute Snow atm.
snow report
Gow87 wrote:
@gixxerniknik, I'm still apprehensive about park - I'm only 35 but feel as though I would almost certainly break something Very Happy

I'm 45 and the single best piece of kit I've bought in the last five years were these Demon padded shorts. I've actually also got knee pads and the upper body armour, which means I end up looking a bit like the Michelin man.

But having had a fall today as I came off a box in the park, and a couple of heavy tumbles on the piste in the last couple of days, I'll take not being in excruciating pain with just one day of my short trip to go.

I've actually got a pair of medium sized Burton Impact shorts too which I wore for a single short day in Whistler last year (with underwear and thermals underneath!) until my BA-delayed bag turned up with the rest of my gear if you're interested?

The prices for the protection stuff has shot up in the last couple of years and is always at its priciest before the February holidays, but Absolute usually start their sales as soon as half-term is over.

Apologies for slight thread drift!
latest report
If you don't mind not getting a bargain, proper snowboard shops in a resort (of which there are sadly not so many left now) may let you hire a demo board if you are considering buying it. That's how I bought mine. Means paying resort price which is usually full-ish whack but you know what you are getting.

(Some resorts have on the snow demo hire tents now and then as well)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jebroni3_16, It may be slightly of topic but it is useful! Started playing with switch this holiday and found I'm not as fluent... which is a nice way of saying I fell on my ass a lot Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

Means paying resort price which is usually full-ish whack but you know what you are getting

Oh I dunno - I bought my Flagship in Courchevel and got a pretty decent whack off it, but then it was towards end-of-season. Got some odd looks riding back to Les Menuires with my old board strapped to my backpack.
ski holidays
Create an account on that website linked above & put your DOB for early march. Should get a disocunt code for your new birthday.
Padded shorts are a must if you can push the budget.

Switch is easy if you apply a method to it and break it down to steps. Remember learning to drive? Was left turn after left turn after left turn before you was taught right turns.
Well you know how to turn, so when riding switch, learn to turn only oneside (heal or toe, whichever your most comfortable with). Lets say heel side, so start at the widest point on a slope then press your heel turn & turn a little then go flat again (not toe edge), once flat, repeat heel turn. Keeping the board under control as you traverse across the slope. Then switch back to your stronger leg & shimmy your way back across the slope to repeat the excercise. Once you figure it out, you can then start practicing the other edge.

My favourite part about riding switch is how it gives the option of how to take a corner. I am stronger on my heel edge so a left turn I can take riding switch on heel edge.
snow report
@Gored, To be honest, I wasn't as bad as I thought I'd be. I practiced spinning heel-side to toe-side (switch) and maintaining direction, then back to heel-side again... So I probably looked like a bit of a pleb spinning down the mountain. Then occasionally attempted a few turns. I could do shallow S turns alright but after a few catches and no protection on my backside, I thought it best not to ruin my holiday and went back to normal Very Happy

I might have to get some practice in at the local snozone ahead of next holiday. Had I thought ahead, while I was teaching my other half, I could have been practicing!
snow report
@Gow87, the best thing about looking like an idiot riding switch is when you turn back to your normal front foot and straight line or carve the rest of the piste ... just to show you can actually snowboard wink
ski holidays
I can't say the thought "Well at least nobody will expect me to ride switch" didn't cross my mind when I bought the fish-tail...
I suck so much at riding switch, Dyson is doing research
ski holidays
Top to bottom runs in Switch are a very good way to improve in my view; but best taken on your own when there's no one to keep up with! I like to do them under the lights too, as there's so much less traffic...
snow report
ride switch when you're 'teaching' your other half. before you now it you'll be blasting around and you'll forget which is your strongest.
latest report
Had to ride a narrow icy couloir switch on a hovercraft last year. Still not sure how I didn’t die.

The 180 at the bottom had a similar sense of relief to being stuck in traffic for 2 hours desperate to take a dump.
ski holidays
My 2c and experience. I took the plunge on a board at a similar stage like you are and it was a 100% the correct decision. I'm 6"1, 85kg, 158W Bataleon Goliath - a directional twin (only 1cm longer in the nose). You won't need a wide board by the sounds of it and 155 sounds a good fit.

Board manufacturers always publish a weight range for all the sizes of a model and often a boot size range too, I would follow these over anything else.

The TSA are awesome at letting you demo boards and you never feel like you have to buy if you don't dig it.

Angry Snowboarder is a very good source of info, I don't know how he does so many board reviews. His 'best bindings for under $200' type lists are very good too for giving some direction to that rabbit hole!

Happy shredding
latest report
@jebroni3_16,

Me too, knee pads, bump shorts, upper body armour - motocross style, and also wrist guards. I'm 57 and really don't want to break anything!
snow report
Hoping to try this drill on my next trip
http://youtube.com/v/UWU233Y8yJM
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy