Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What wax do you use

Poster: A snowHead
Just curious.

I used Butta original for my first trip on my new board out in Mid-March Alpe D'Huez (spring slush puppy at bottom/ ice in the mornings) and it lasted maybe 3x half days in those conditions. The last day was particularly watery and painful on the flats even with a topup of Zardoz. Had a few instances where the board suddenly stuck and almost sent me flying.

What do you use? Recommended brands? How long does your wax tend to last?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 23-01-23 17:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i'm dead lazy and hardly ever wax my skis or board. I've got the kit. Often use the local shop to do th ejob for me.

@silentice,

Are you aware that different types of wax are available for diffeent temps.

i.e. cold weather wax, spring wax and thirdly 'universal' wax for all conditions? Also after waxing, did you 'brush' your board to 'structure' the wax?

I'm sure some other snowheads will come on and say there are loads of types of other waxes too but this is the 3 x types I've got in my kit bag.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
silentice wrote:
... What do you use? How long does your wax tend to last?
Mostly universal stuff if I'm waxing at home, because I don't know the temps I'm likely to encounter.
Specific warm or cold wax if I'm on site and know what the snow is.

At a resort wax usually lasts me 3-4 days, depending on the type of snow. I ride more than most people.
I notice when I need more wax, I've ridden a lot and know how it feels.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@247snowman wrote:

Are you aware that different types of wax are available for diffeent temps.

Actually I was hoping it would come out by asking what people use, I'm waxing at home and I won't know the snow temperatures beforehand so tending to favour a universal. I suspect that's fine for most situations but keen to hear when and why others use temp specific waxes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@silentice, Got Ya. There might be some techy wax heads on here so hope you get some decent info.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't reeeeaaaaalllllllly be bothered to wax my own stuff at home, mainly because of the clean up tbh.

A wax seems to last 3-4 days, on the shorter side in slushy snow or man-made snow. If I'm riding the resort I like a mid-week wax.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tend to use a warm wax in spring, universal the rest of the time, wax when I need it, which early and late season is every 3 or 4 days, mid season it can be a couple of weeks between waxes if it's not too icy.

Preferred all season wax is Hertel super hot sauce or Hertel FC739. Feels like it lasts a bit longer, and goes well, but not the end of the world if I have to use something else.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Race Wax hydrocarbon green (cold, under 25°F) or red (warm, over 25°F), with a season-starting undercoat of Swix CH3 and 4 (very cold!) for longevity. Rewax during season with just the Racewax for the coming week's forecasted weather. Drag them home when I judge I have roughly 60,000 vertical feet on them, which I'm sort of tracking as I ride lifts.

Sometimes I mix the red and green together if the general forecast is straddling 25°F.

For wet conditions, I touch up the structure myself because you need a clean, open structure to combat the grabby stuff.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Whistler, the trick is just to look at the weather forecast, so you don't end up on the wrong wax for the next storm. Universal is better than nothing, but if you know it's going to be warm, then... that's pretty much it. I don't care about brands and don't think that makes much difference. Obviously skill is the key thing, but if you've got that down then I think the effect of wax is more obvious. Bad wax is like... having a boot in "walk mode", or having your bindings in slightly the wrong place - it doesn't stop play, but it's easy to feel given enough experience.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just finished waxing 5 boards and 1 set of skis for our impending trip to Whistler. The skis I used datawax red which is -8 to 0 degs celcius. The skis were sent for sale at the market as I don't ski. If I get £20 that covers the new wax I bought butta Pro plus butta base cleaner. Not used the pro yet but used butta eco last few years and its ok its not the fastest wax. I think I needed a rewax after day 4. The pro is what all the 'kids' are using apparently.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I like Butta
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Homenkol universal wax - There might be better out there, but it does the trick. The only time I notice it not being particularly nice, is when it’s deep-freezing cold.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 30-01-23 14:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kat.ryb, the clean up is the most annoying part and it's what's putting me off doing it right now. If anyone has a great solution to this I'd love to hear it! (Oh and more on topic - I tend to use Hertel Super HotSauce, only because I've got a big block of it)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To those who apply wax themselves (or know more about it generally), is it generally applied in one direction? Or rather, is it likely to be applied by stores in one direction?!

Went out yesterday with freshly serviced board which just seemed to be sticking in the snow at the sides of the piste.

Just occurred to me today that I ride goofy, but the board is a true twin and duck foot setup means technician might have just assumed I ride regular and if applied with a machine that it might have been done directionally Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@diaphon, cheap blue tarps - the kind you get from B&Q for a couple of quid. then you can just fold them up and shake the excess wax out into the bin/lake/wax recycling facility

@jebroni3_16, you normally work tip to tail, particularly when you're building up structure, but it shouldn't really cause you that many problems.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@diaphon, cheap blue tarps - the kind you get from B&Q for a couple of quid. then you can just fold them up and shake the excess wax out into the bin/lake/wax recycling facility

+1, or an old bedsheet. I made the mistake of using nothing and turned the kitchen floor into a death trap Madeye-Smiley

@jebroni3_16, have to admit I'm not super experienced but I've done a lot of reading. as @ Richard_Sideways says... my understanding is that the board is done lengthways, so shouldn't matter if you're goofy as the little grooves run in the direction of travel whichever way is 'forward'. You'd never want to scrape or rub across the width, it's possible they did but I'd imagine they use a machine like you say. More likely is the board was sticking because of excess wax, I can imagine (depending where you go) in a shop they hurry the job. Do you know if it was a hot wax or just buffed on with a machine? Also I would say I think the snow that gets pushed to the edges tends to be a little wetter and could cause a different feeling under foot.
snow report
silentice wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

+1, or an old bedsheet. I made the mistake of using nothing and turned the kitchen floor into a death trap Madeye-Smiley

@jebroni3_16, have to admit I'm not super experienced but I've done a lot of reading. as @ Richard_Sideways says... my understanding is that the board is done lengthways, so shouldn't matter if you're goofy as the little grooves run in the direction of travel whichever way is 'forward'. You'd never want to scrape or rub across the width, it's possible they did but I'd imagine they use a machine like you say. More likely is the board was sticking because of excess wax, I can imagine (depending where you go) in a shop they hurry the job. Do you know if it was a hot wax or just buffed on with a machine? Also I would say I think the snow that gets pushed to the edges tends to be a little wetter and could cause a different feeling under foot.

I've used dust sheets in the past, but somehow or other stuff gets off the edges and exactly this results - waxy death trap floor. I'll try the suggestion of huge B&Q tarps, that's a good idea. Thanks!
ski holidays
jebroni3_16 wrote:
Went out yesterday with freshly serviced board which just seemed to be sticking in the snow at the sides of the piste.

Previous discussion on sticky snow.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64018

A different wax may help but the conditions may be unseasonal/temporary and so the wax used may actually be the right for general prevailing conditions.

I've had sticky snow problems occasionally. It's not pleasant. But I just don't fret about it. Moving up/down the mountain and on different aspects and at different times of the day things are constantly changing.

So, in short I doubt it's an issue with servicing. Unless everyone else you are skiing with has no issues and/or it's happening on many slopes/altitudes/aspects.
ski holidays
I don't think it was sticky snow, @Layne because getting on and off all the chair lifts was like being in treacle, and that wouldn't be the same across the whole mountain. I also asked other people and none of them were experiencing it.

I took the board to another shop to get them to take a look at it and they were actually pretty complimentary about the service and how the wax job appeared and there definitely wasn't a visible excess of wax.

I spoke to the technician who did it, and he was a bit confused as he'd used the best (all weather) wax because of the changeable conditions. The only thing he said was about one of the machines sometimes having the potential to have a few hairs develop on it.

Either way, he gave it another go last night and today was a completely different kettle of fish. Absolutely no problems getting on or off the chairs or in the snow pushed to the sides of the pistes. So, all's well that ends well.

Thanks to all those who replied Smile
latest report
@jebroni3_16, that is weird but glad it got sorted.
snow report
jebroni3_16 wrote:
To those who apply wax themselves (or know more about it generally), is it generally applied in one direction? Or rather, is it likely to be applied by stores in one direction?!

Just occurred to me today that I ride goofy, but the board is a true twin and duck foot setup means technician might have just assumed I ride regular and if applied with a machine that it might have been done directionally Puzzled

The direction you APPLY the wax doesn't matter. The direction you scrape and brush does. The reason is that going against the direction of travel can raise hairs in the p-tex that are working more like climbing skins. You brush your hair all one direction to get smooth hair (leaving out those of you with curls). Brushing the other way is going to make a mess. Of course, it would be perfect to have NO hairs getting raised at all, but to be safe when working on your bases, the scraper and brush is tip (front) to tail (back).

Another possible issue in wet snow is lack of fresh structure. That leads to grabbiness as suction forms more easily on fine or non-existent strucure. Basically, look at your base. Is it losing the little lines and becoming as smooth as a dining room table? You need a base grind.

Temperature specific wax can be an issue in frigid or spring-like conditions if a universal or the wrong wax was used, but my guess in your case is "brushing against the grain" or even more likely, a structure problem.
snow conditions
The other shop said the structure was good, @sibhusky, and the technician for mention something about hairs, so it sounds like your explanation makes sense.

Don't think it makes me any more likely to start doing my own waxing, but at least I have a (slightly) better understanding of what's involved. Thanks!
ski holidays
Don't snowboarders slide both ways?
latest report
@Layne, wouldn't you just love that...
latest report
Dry day outside, sharpen edges, brush to make sure haven't pushed any fillings into the base, generous coat of universal, ski the excess off in the first couple of runs, job done. When I used to do a bit of racing I was far more particular (different waxes, cold scrapes etc), now having a decent edge is far more important to me rather than a few percentage points saved on drag / glide.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy