Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski improvement specifically off piste

Poster: A snowHead
I’m a competent skier that can ski steep couloirs, and most stuff guides would take you down. But I’d like to improve. Is anyone aware of any courses in Europe that are run with technical tuition like this? Most guiding companies are just that you might get the odd pointer. I suppose something similar to like a basi level 2 course? I want to improve technique to make the poor conditions off piste more enjoyable
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Simon Christy @offpisteskiing is your man. He teaches guides how to ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try snoworks Ski Courses.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I suppose something similar to like a basi level 2 course?

BASI 2 is a qualification for teaching on-piste only, the variables (off piste) element of it is tiny and not demending for anyone with experience and confidence off piste.

(which is not to suggest that improving technique on piste isn't also good for off-piste though)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get in touch with the Ski Zenit guys. Always the answer when it comes to improving especially off piste.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the suggestions
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are events like this all over the place https://www.mc2alpin.at/events/arcteryx-academy-overview_en/ but you probably need to be following your favourite resorts on social media to find out about them.

Resorts that advertise themselves as freeride areas often have info about courses on their websites – we were discussing Hoch Fügen on another thread this week, and there's plenty of info on their website.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Worth remembering that there's a difference between a "ski guide" and a "ski instructor". One's paid to guide you, not teach you - which is why a guide might pass the odd comment on your skiing but won't really give you instruction.

Your best bet is to pop in to the ski school office and ask specifically about technical off piste lessons. While the bulk of their trade is beginner ski school and on piste improvement any resort of any size will also have the senior instructors who can teach the more advanced stuff.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Warren Smith in verbier - would fit the bill.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mk28, thing is it very much depends on the duration of your stay Vs the conditions.

And then to really improve you need one on one and if conditions are not good/deteriate like they have done this week then that could work out to be an expensive investment for 2/3 out of the 6.

I'm just not sure it's possible to achieve your goal without getting very lucky conditions.

What do you believe you need to work on?

For most I know it's the ability to ski shite snow as if it's perfect.

I'm writing a blog up of my day yesterday (4hr 1,000m ski-tour) which was a mare due to the snowpack Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
orange wrote:
Warren Smith in verbier - would fit the bill.

Agree. Something like the Warren Smith Supergroup would be perfect for the OP

http://youtube.com/v/TRLwEDMqsVA
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mk28, Our ski school can offer what you're looking for www.skicheck.at Although, make sure that you specify when booking that you want technical improvement off piste and we'll assign an appropriate instructor.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Off piste performance https://www.offpiste.org.uk
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Warren Smith Ski Academy https://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/ They are definitely all about technical tuition and Verbier is great for the amount of off piste terrain.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I used Phil Smith's outfit, now known as Snoworks, a few times in my efforts to progress my SCGB reps grading up to gold in the early 2000s (so that I could lead on off-piste Ski Freshtracks holidays, as well as for personal progression) so would certainly recommend them.

There was an earlier comment about BASI training, which I think was taken out of context, but it was interesting that a few years later when I was going through my level 2 and 3 courses, the off-piste element was really at quite a low standard compared with what I was used to. Which is why I think it's reasonable that in Switzerland only fully-qualified instructors are allowed to teach in proper off-piste areas. So if you're going elsewhere through a local ski school it may be worth checking that they apply a similar rule, either the local highest level or a L4 BASI instructor.
ski holidays
Quote:
Simon Christy @offpisteskiing is your man. He teaches guides how to sk

If you can wait until next season, Simon runs a brilliant "steeps" week in the Maurienne with the Eagles
Quote:
A week of steep off-piste coaching and adventures, based in Termignon, with many lift systems within easy reach giving access to lots of good terrain for practising steep skiing techniques

Prob need to be member to view details... https://www.eagleskiclub.org.uk/club-tours/2023/haute-maurienne-steep-coaching-and-adventures
snow report
Another vote for Offpisteperformance - Alison Thacker who runs it teaches guides how to ski. We’ve had some fab instruction and improved offpiste and difficult snow technique a lot.

https://www.offpiste.org.uk/
ski holidays
https://pistetopowder.com/ski-guiding-stanton/#offpiste-skitechnique

https://alloffpiste.com/off-piste-technique/
latest report
Concerning the Eagles @geoffers mentions, note that they are VERY into skinning and climbing UP. Which is the reason I have never skied with them. Mind you, I have heard Simon is very good (and the Haute Maurienne is a good off piste area) and without the Eagles his uphill quota might be less extreme.
latest report
+1 for Off piste performance https://www.offpiste.org.uk - provided you are with Alison. Absolutely brilliant.
latest report
snowball wrote:
Concerning the Eagles, note that they are VERY into skinning and climbing UP.

True, we did walk at least 7, possibly 8 minutes for this run on Thursday!! Happy
https://www.instagram.com/p/CpS2004LCf9/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

(Apologies for the selective quoting @snowball! Happy ).
snow report
… and in fairness we did skin 3 hours for this yesterday:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpXIKpOILWO/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

…though in the current snow drought of the northern french alps I think the team mostly felt it was worth it Happy
snow report
The standard of skiing seems to have improved a lot since I stopped being active with the Eagles. Not sure if that's correlation or causation Laughing
snow conditions
@Arno, no comment Happy Happy Happy
ski holidays
It just occurred to me this is probably good season to work on skiing poor conditions off piste. Toofy Grin

Sorry, I don’t have any specific advice on courses.
latest report
Consider the multi faceted business that off piste is. Heading out with a guide can cover a variety of scenarios. I am lucky to have an extremely long association with a great guide.
This last week I've been up to one of the huts (chasing good snow) the skiing was still mixed.
We haven't got cold smokin' powder anywhere in the Alps at present. So we skied what we had and it was certainly mixed depending on aspect. The guide loves taking movie of clients and these become a great core to a discussion session over a drink later on.
We focused on some awkward stuff which was powder pockets interspersed with wind crust, very interesting!!
If on another occasion avalanche conditions are of significance then most likely that side of "off piste" becomes the subject for consideration, just as important as ski technique.
snow report
Rogerdodger wrote:
......We haven't got cold smokin' powder anywhere in the Alps at present.....

Sorry to be pedantic, but yesterday* we scored pretty damn well sweet cold powder and then later on I saw videos from Montgenevre taken the same day and they definitely had smoke trails behind them and then down in Val Maira & Limone Piemonte they've been scoring folletti all week!

In fact yesterday it was so light an off-piste beginner could well have skied it well, however once we ended up on a sunnier aspect and lower down that's when more experience was definitely required, and better knees Laughing

*See Serre thread
snow report
No apology necessary @Weathercam, had I thought about that sentence a little more carefully it would have been phrased differently.
My guide had a colleague working down in Italy (can't recall where) they were skiing some "cold stuff".
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mark Gear is an excellent coach in Chamonix. I have done his advanced course and can recommend. Benefit of Chamonix is that it has the conditions you are after (snow permitting) and ease of flights/transfer/accommodation. Am sure he can offer you the more difficult stuff on the expert course. Mark will pick you up in the morning and drop off.
https://allmountainperformance.com/ski-course-view/expert-all-mountain-ski-courses/

Snoworks do have good courses. There is a specific course steeps and deeps course I believe.

Aware of the arguments/benefits of touring but it seems more difficult nowadays to identify an off-piste course which does not involve touring.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy