Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti Superski 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
Warmer today but pistes are still ideal. Temps above zero so lunch outside with coat off. Sadly we are going home tomorrow, so packing is next on our agenda.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve been skiing around the whole Alta Badia region today and the pistes are in great condition (firm but no ice). Cloudy all morning though so the sun only had the afternoon to get to work on softening the snow. Things over Corvara way stayed good until we stopped around 4pm although at 3pm the Edelweiss valley area above Colfosco was getting heavy. In my experience those slopes always suffer and I imagine there will be some slushy sections once things warm up even more these next few days. The slopes were beautifully quiet and there were no queues on any of the lifts (maybe Saturdays are often quiet?). Such a stark contrast to the challenges I faced over New Year in France (Alpe d’huez) where the queues were horrendous, the icy pistes lethal and the slopes with snow were dangerously busy. So happy to be back here in my favourite place. Tomorrow we’re planning on doing the ‘Super8’ (5 Torri) followed by Lagazuoi (hidden valley) before heading over on Sunday night to stay in a different hotel in the Alpe di Siusi area for the rest of our break. I was initially disappointed when I saw the rising temperatures and lack of new snow but the truth is we’ll almost certainly enjoy the skiing and our holiday more with weather like this and the Dolomiti ski area piste preparation is second to none as far as I’m concerned.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am looking at some holidays for next January , has any of you done a week in the Drei Zinnen? I know the area is connected to kronplats but don’t know anything about the slopes, the hotels on offer with Crystal look amazing, transfer is very short and I am sure the food is lovely
just not sure if it is on the steep side, watched usteria posta video but couldn’t work out if the area is a blue heaven Eh oh! or not, any feedback greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@KatiePopple, We are at Lavarone (Alpe Cimbra) near Folgaria, very much the same here and better than the hard pistes at higher altitude last week and week before. It only goes up to 1900m here so hoping its going to be warm enough not to freeze each night.
It's a small area, about 40kms, but the lifts are strung out in one direction so you travel two to three miles from one end to the other. All wooded, all easy, plenty of novices taking the red and intermediates on the black without issue.
PS. Also heading to Alpe Siusi next week.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@KatiePopple, @BoardieK, we shall be going to Alpe di Siusi mid March for a couple of weeks which will be our third or fourth visit. Love it there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weather looks fabulous this week. The Dolomites should be Right under the anticyclone which should mean lots of sunshine and hardly any wind. Perfect for long lunches outside. The skiing should be pretty good too in the dry air? South facing runs must be getting a bit soft in the afternoons though ?
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/maps-and-charts/surface-pressure/

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/ Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pretty much as above lovely skiing in the sun on softening slopes, a few east facing ones refreezing late in the day.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Corvara at the moment is it worth going over to Cortina and if so what is the best way or best place to park. We have a car.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I am looking at some holidays for next January , has any of you done a week in the Drei Zinnen? I know the area is connected to kronplats but don’t know anything about the slopes, the hotels on offer with Crystal look amazing, transfer is very short and I am sure the food is lovely
just not sure if it is on the steep side, watched usteria posta video but couldn’t work out if the area is a blue heaven or not, any feedback greatly appreciated.

Literally just got back from a week there. Nothing too steep, plenty of reds and blues. The black down to the base is pretty wide and not too busy so even that isn't much of an issue. We stayed at the Sport Hotel, possibly the best hotel I've stayed in on a ski week. Dinner was great - if I'm being hyper critical, no eggs at breakfast would be my only complaint. To be fair we didn't bother to ask, it's possible they might provide them on request! The ski bus also stops directly outside the Sport Hotel, so it's very convenient.
The resort isn't directly linked to Kronplatz, you have to take the train which is free with the area lift pass. The station at the San Candido end is about 10 mins walk from the hotel. At the other end (Percha) the gondola to the top comes right down to the station.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Peter S,
Quote:

South facing runs must be getting a bit soft in the afternoons though ?

Yes, with forecast temperatures several degrees higher than last week, freeze/thaw conditions look likely, do you think?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@T Bar, I skied over to Cortina last week from Arabba. If I were to drive there I would probably park:

1) Parking at the top of the Oympia lift/ Baita Resch, right by the Cortina Skyline Lift (Cortina Side) (35-40mins drive)
2) Passo Falzarego, 3 Parking - this is right by the Cortina Skyline lift (Cinque Torri side) (30-35mins drive)
3) Parking at Lagazoui is less driving from Corvara, and you can ski quickly to the Skyline lift but that then means you probably need 45mins once you get on the Skyline lift to get back up to the parking which takes out ski time at Cortina (25-30mins drive)

I really enjoyed skiing Cinque Torri and the Tofane/West Sector of Cortina. If you want to do all of Cortina I would suggest you ski back another day to do Lagazoui and Cinque Torre returning to Corvara by the Hidden Valley and the horse tow.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@extremerob,
Cheers we did the hidden valley and a bit of Cinqe Torre last year when we did the war tour, may well return I haven't done Cortina yet though so was wondering how worthwhile it was from Corvara.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
extremerob wrote:
@T Bar, I skied over to Cortina last week from Arabba. If I were to drive there I would probably park:

1) Parking at the top of the Oympia lift/ Baita Resch, right by the Cortina Skyline Lift (Cortina Side) (35-40mins drive)
2) Passo Falzarego, 3 Parking - this is right by the Cortina Skyline lift (Cinque Torri side) (30-35mins drive)
3) Parking at Lagazoui is less driving from Corvara, and you can ski quickly to the Skyline lift but that then means you probably need 45mins once you get on the Skyline lift to get back up to the parking which takes out ski time at Cortina (25-30mins drive)

I really enjoyed skiing Cinque Torri and the Tofane/West Sector of Cortina. If you want to do all of Cortina I would suggest you ski back another day to do Lagazoui and Cinque Torre returning to Corvara by the Hidden Valley and the horse tow.

Regarding option 3,when you come back on the new skyline lift, do you not have to then go up to Nuvolau, down and up to Averau , then down to Col Gallina hut and then back up the chair and down to the Lagazoui parking lot? Or am I missing an obvious quicker way back? Just curious for a future trip!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jimmybog, not missing anything - that was why I said you need 45mins from when you’re on the skyline - from memory it is 6 lifts to get home - I may have even been to generous and it is closer to 60mins.

I would not recommend option 3 really unless like me you did the ski route like me or you wanted to combine cortina and cinque torri into the same ski day.
latest report
extremerob wrote:
@jimmybog, not missing anything - that was why I said you need 45mins from when you’re on the skyline - from memory it is 6 lifts to get home - I may have even been to generous and it is closer to 60mins.

I would not recommend option 3 really unless like me you did the ski route like me or you wanted to combine cortina and cinque torri into the same ski day.

Thanks Rob, I can see now that parking at the skyline lift is the preferred option if time is limited.
latest report
Someone asked a question a few weeks ago about intermediate skiers getting from Canazei to the hidden valley and back, and there were discussions about timings.

I skied from Arabba to Armentarola last week, turning right at Compolongo with a group of moderately fast skiers/intermediates in 50 minutes, and were at the top of the cable car within 90. (no queues)

Spent a few hours enjoying very quiet and near perfect conditions on Cinque Tori, looping back on many lifts to take the runs often missed.

The return via hidden valley took 1 hour (bit of faffing with the horse tow), and the return from Armentarola to Arabba another 90.
So for intermediate skier, should be easily possible in 5 hours, plus 45 minutes each way from Canazei to Arabba.
Early start essential to avoid later queues.

Maybe worth taking a trip over to Armantarola and back just to check your own timings before deciding to do the hidden valley or not.
If short of time on the return, take the (faster) Cable car up to Portavescovo rather then the gondola. It lets you skip a lift and save maybe 10-15 minutes.
latest report
Hi! The ski map shows a red piste from Resciesa to Furnes (it is not the toboggan run) and I'd love to try it in March if it's worth the detour. Has anyone skied there recently?
snow report
Different, strenuous and unbelievably scenic routes to Santa Croce. One breathtaking view after another, that is assuming you have any breath left.

http://youtube.com/v/L3LF1C-a8A0
ski holidays
What a lovely video. Perfectly captures the tranquility and beauty of that area. I think it was taken the week after we met Igor at the Usteria Post. My wife really enjoyed the walking in the snow from the top at Santa Croce.
I was going to describe the video as ‘gentle’ but then his 2km high speed decent on ultra light SkiMo kit is ……impressive Laughing
snow conditions
@Hurtle, Great movie.

Something that I was struck by in Selva the other week was whilst Sellaronda was fairly busy all the time (obviously) the areas off the main route were quite quiet. Seiser Alm especially had lovely retro charm to the lifts and pistes.

I thought Zermatt was the best area I'd skied for scenery and pistes but the Dolomites is deffo on a par.
latest report
@halfhand, absolutely. I just love visiting the offshoots of the Sella. I wouldn't mind confining all my future skiing to the Dolomites, they tick every box for me. And they're not half bad in the summer either!
snow conditions
@Hurtle, I do fancy a summer trip. I've just got to persuade the OH to forego a week on a beach.
snow conditions
Currently in Corvara with family and a bunch of friends. Lovely conditions in the morning till early afternoon so we’ve been up the mountain super early. However, norovirus has reared its ugly head. Half our party have been afflicted Sad Husband succumbed yesterday evening which means no skiing for him today. Sad Sad Sad
snow conditions
@stellaps, Crying or Very sad
Same place, same problem. I was in the loo all day yesterday.
snow conditions
@T Bar, Poor you. Hope you feel better soon - seems to be a 24 hour thing. We have found the Geffer granulato effervescence rehydrating sachets from the chemist help!
latest report
halfhand wrote:
@Hurtle, Great movie.

Something that I was struck by in Selva the other week was whilst Sellaronda was fairly busy all the time (obviously) the areas off the main route were quite quiet. Seiser Alm especially had lovely retro charm to the lifts and pistes.

I thought Zermatt was the best area I'd skied for scenery and pistes but the Dolomites is deffo on a par.

Yes it is a beautiful area - best a bit away form Sellaronda. Had 8 days skiing there last week - showed a British Skifriend around - i hope he liked it. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
My husband and I came down with the vomiting bug too in Corvara - it’s obviously spreading like wildfire. We managed to get back to normal fairly quickly but both missed a day. Didn’t get to do the hidden valley after all - will definitely do next year! Spent the last few days staying over in Seiser Alm which was lovely. All slopes in a great condition apart from the south facing ones in the afternoon which unsurprisingly became heavy going and slushy in the beautiful sunshine.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also 2 of us ill in corvara last week. Missed a day skiing and 2 evening meals.
latest report
Gosh, there was I thinking Arabba was germ city. Why Corvara, I wonder? I am suddenly reminded of the water pollution problem which was covered up by the authorities in Zermatt in the 70s and which led to a typhoid outbreak.
snow report
Quote:

We stayed at the Sport Hotel, possibly the best hotel I've stayed in on a ski week.

Was this Sport Hotel Teresa in Alta Badia? Going there (again) early March.
snow report
stellaps wrote:
@T Bar, Poor you. Hope you feel better soon - seems to be a 24 hour thing. We have found the Geffer granulato effervescence rehydrating sachets from the chemist help!

Cheers feeling a fair bit better today and skied over to Santa Christina and around today, lunch definitely helped which was the first thing I ate for 36 hours.

Bit cooler today with a few scraped Pistes where it's busy but generally excellent skiing.
latest report
Funnily enough we came back from Corvara on the 5th and next day my friend tested positive for covid. We both avoided the Noro virus, though we may have left before it started spreading through the village
latest report
We both caught covid (first timers) in Passo Tonale 2 weeks ago.
Currently in Folgaria (Alpe Cimbra) where the mid morning pistes have been great but steeper slopes get wrecked by lunchtime.
latest report
The Webcams look amazing in this sunny weather. With the Sella Ronda open since the 3rd of December, busy lifts and runs on the main circuit since then and another 7 and a half weeks to go, I wouldn’t be surprised if this ends up being one of their most successful seasons in terms of ticket sales. Good news for their summer maintenance programme and no doubt paying for next years snow making !
https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c14486/
GEFS model is showing a significant cool down around the 23rd and even some snow. Shocked Arrives a day earlier over the UK but the cold may not be sustained here.
ski holidays
Just finished 4 days in Cortina - Mon-Thurs this week. Stayed at Hotel Villa Argentina for ski in/out off Olimpia lift/Rosa slope No. 23 as it was a shorter trip and maximise ski time. Easy access to Cinque Torri via the new Cortina Skyline really opened up the ski area for us and easy 15 minute travel time. Good hotel option if you are on a shorter ski break. Also does ski rentals onsite which was great for my two teenagers.

As others have noted, it was sunny and calm this week which was great but too warm on first 3 days -- was 13C at Tofana Express lift on Tuesday lunch time which meant the lower slopes suffered those days. The snow was holding up well at Ra Valles and the Cinque Torri was the best skiing of the week with higher altitude and better orientation. Unfortunately, we didn't get to the Hidden Valley as we also got hit by the flu bug with my younger lad. Overall pistes are holding up well but the area could use a top up which looks likely in the next week - fingers crossed.
snow report
Sounds great @shouchin

Looks like snow is coming next week? Norovirus has claimed 6 out of the 8 of us at various points during the week Sad Just myself and my teen have managed to avoid it. Apart from that, it’s been a perfect week in Corvara with blue skies every day. We’ve been starting early and mostly stopping after a late lunch. One of the lads is haring round the Sella Ronda just now - runs are groomed, perfect and empty! Saturday seems to be the best day for it!
snow conditions
Noro claimed three out of four of us this week.
Still had a great day today on quiet Pistes managed the Marmolada and the Sella thanks to no queues.
snow conditions
@T Bar, Wow. That’s good going!!!
Did you do the orange route?
latest report
@stellaps, Yup and had time for a reasonably leisurely lunch, there were just no queues to speak of, and just walked onto the Marmolada cable car and up all three stages.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy