Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti Superski 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
@dynastar84, Welcome -- I would say no busier than anywhere else in Europe in Feb ; Just try to avoid the school holidays if you can

There is a list of holiday dates here -- https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156939
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, school holidays and Karneval can be busy. Having said that I’ve never found the ‘satellite’ areas to the Sella Ronda (eg much of Alta Badia and -especially - Seiseralm) to be very crowded, even at peak Feb times
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wasn't too bad today above Corvara /La Villa/San Cassiano re crowds. Dont recall queuing for any lifts. Only busy slope we saw was the Bioch due to lots of ski schools there. We've been coming back down to Corvara via run 5,far less people and carnage than run 8. Helicopter landed, I guess, next to the Borest/Boe gondola Stations, as they shut the bridge over the road leading down to the lifts. Looked like people were having to take their skis off and walk back down the road instead.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you all very much indeed. Sounds good to me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dynastar84,
Hi I've been to the Dolomites several times in Feb. My own experience is that the main Sella Ronda can be very busy, including accessing it. At least as busy as other places and possibly more queuing. Accessing Sella Ronda from Canazei/Campitello being particularly busy.
Away from the main area it can be delightfully quiet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Clockwise was closed yesterday at Pordoi due to high winds. Hardly anyone coming into Colfosco from the Gardena pass. Lovely and quiet. High winds forecast for tomorrow at altitude so expecting it to be closed again
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think I will ski local to Val Gardena and keep the Sella Ronda and all the villages for another visit so this sounds very promising.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jimmybog wrote:
Wasn't too bad today above Corvara /La Villa/San Cassiano re crowds. Dont recall queuing for any lifts. Only busy slope we saw was the Bioch due to lots of ski schools there. We've been coming back down to Corvara via run 5,far less people and carnage than run 8. Helicopter landed, I guess, next to the Borest/Boe gondola Stations, as they shut the bridge over the road leading down to the lifts. Looked like people were having to take their skis off and walk back down the road instead.

Not sure why more people don’t use 5. 8 is always a mess at the steeper but just below the hut
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowing right now in Corvara village. Hopefully be a great day tomorrow if the winds subside
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dynastar84 wrote:
Hello All great forum.

Just getting back into skiing after getting the bug on modern skis at Hemel Hempstead. I was just wondering is Feb busy in the Dolomites? I have a weeks leave to take and was just seeing if I could get myself organised before the season is over? Thanks very much

If you’re starting out or getting back into skiing, I’d highly recommend Seiser Alm / Alpe di Siusi. It’s a huge alpine pasture with sunny gentler skiing and is on the Val Gardena area ski pass. It’s also quieter than resorts directly on the Sella Ronda but shares the stunning scenery and great food.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/maps-and-charts/surface-pressure/

Looks like today will be the last day of strong winds at altitude. Pressure building over northern then Eastern Europe next week will feed a lighter but cold easterly flow over the Dolomites. Conditions for skiing should be near perfect and after 10 weeks of operation everything should be set up for the start of the February holiday period.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=46.68;11.91;8&l=wind-10m
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A few cm of snow overnight in Selva. Its a beautiful day but looisxa bit breezy up top. unfortunately we're going home in an hour. It's been a fab week.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Apologies for asking a nonski question, but can anyone recommend a decent bar in Selva to watch the rugby?
Cheers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If anyone else is wondering, it's on in Saltos Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ridiculously quiet afternoon above corvara. Never experienced anything like it. Most lifts and slopes were eventually opened around lunchtime. Top section of 9 from pralongia to san Cassiano was fun. No one else on the slope, very strong winds scouring the piste and snow drifting onto the piste. Other normally busy slopes such as bioch and the red and blue from piz sorega/vegas hut were so quiet. Heading back down from La Brancia via run 5 was again near empty. What looked like would be a non event day, ended up one of the best days ever. Sad to be going home
ski holidays
Thank you very much for the Alpe di Suisi recommendation, I think I will wait until about a week out before booking things. Hope it stays cold enough until then.
snow report
The skiing conditions in the Sella Ronda should be pretty much ideal this week. Double digit negative morning temperatures, light wind, dawn to dusk sunshine and humidity dropping down below 30%. The snow everywhere should be good although the sun will be starting to get stronger softening south facing runs in the afternoon. There shouldn’t be any ice about though.

Looking a bit warmer but still settled, from the middle of February.
snow report
Our first day today and we had a great time around Corvara, Colfosco, Edlelweiss, up to Jimmis, and over up Col Alt also. Mrs endo did her first red from up at a Jimmis as we didn't realise the second part of the plan lift had a different name.... She skied it very well.

Plan tomorrow is to head over to the long blues from Pralongia 9A and 34. Can someone help me with the best way to get there from outside the Boa lift? I'm struggling to work out what's up and down on the piste map.

I'm thinking, up the chair, up one or two drags?? Then use pralongia lift then across to pralongia 2. Is there a cut through after the first drag?
ski holidays
@endoman wrote "..Is there a cut through after the first drag?.." - yes, but from memory the first bit is a bit flat. Or you could take the second drag (pralongia 1) and then ski down to Pralongia chair
snow conditions
albob wrote:
@endoman wrote "..Is there a cut through after the first drag?.." - yes, but from memory the first bit is a bit flat. Or you could take the second drag (pralongia 1) and then ski down to Pralongia chair

Thanks for that, will report back!
ski holidays
endoman wrote:
Our first day today and we had a great time around Corvara, Colfosco, Edlelweiss, up to Jimmis, and over up Col Alt also. Mrs endo did her first red from up at a Jimmis as we didn't realise the second part of the plan lift had a different name.... She skied it very well.

Plan tomorrow is to head over to the long blues from Pralongia 9A and 34. Can someone help me with the best way to get there from outside the Boa lift? I'm struggling to work out what's up and down on the piste map.

I'm thinking, up the chair, up one or two drags?? Then use pralongia lift then across to pralongia 2. Is there a cut through after the first drag?

I presume you mean the bottom of the Boe lift? From memory I would take the short chair to your left up the hill a bit, it has a magic carpet that sometimes works, you would use this to get to the two drags too but they are very slow!. I think this is called Costa da Elga. At the top branch off left and follow the track to the Col Alto Bubble. From here I would follow the short red or blue track and go left to the Braia Fraida chair, which has the two way option on it, but you need to go all the way to the top. You are pretty much up on the Pralongia Plateau.
snow conditions
@endoman, yes, slow yellow chair from the bottom of boe, then first drag, then there is a cut down to pralongia 1, then p2 and then you're there

https://openskimap.org/#13.85/46.54142/11.88284 shows it better

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 6-02-23 21:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Great map. I’ve just planned out clockwise from Selva.
ski holidays
hobbiteater wrote:
@endoman, yes, slow yellow chair from the bottom of boe, then first drag, then there is a cut down to pralongia 1, then p2 and then you're there

great map, helps no end. ta.
ski holidays
hobbiteater wrote:

That map is a darn sight better than the rubbish 'interactive' map now on the DolomitiSuperski site...!
snow conditions
a better way is up boe and down red 1 and 22 and then up cherz and maserei, but the reds are quite steep
ski holidays
hobbiteater wrote:
a better way is up boe and down red 1 and 22 and then up cherz and maserei, but the reds are quite steep

Maybe by the end of the week, but mrs endo isn't up to steep reds yet. I'll be going up boe first thing while she's in her lesson and the others are breakfasting.....
Tomorrow is planed to be a blue day. and it's snowing a bit out of the window as I type.
snow report
After the yellow chair and first drag, get the travelator up to the 2nd drag. Then go across the slope and turn left onto the cut through down to the pralongia chair. By using the travelator you'll gain some elevation and a bit more speed to avoid too much poling over the hump on the cut through. Once over the hump, go full pelt down, otherwise you'll end up poling to the travelator just before the lift.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jimmybog, Good Idea -- the more I thought about it , I realised my description on 'flat' should have been 'hump' !!
ski holidays
Cold start this morning. Minus 15 down at Badia
https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c1252/

The skiing weather looks just about perfect well into February. Pressure remains high over the alps which should mean lots of sunshine, light winds and very dry air which will preserve the quality of the skiing surface. Typical Dolomites weather. lunch date on a sunny deck outside Cool wish I was there Sad
latest report
Peter S wrote:
Cold start this morning. Minus 15 down at Badia
https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c1252/
Å
The skiing weather looks just about perfect well into February. Pressure remains high over the alps which should mean lots of sunshine, light winds and very dry air which will preserve the quality of the skiing surface. Typical Dolomites weather. lunch date on a sunny deck outside Cool wish I was there Sad

But a little bit of snow would be welcome. It is well packed at the moment.
snow conditions
Long way ahead, but potentially looking at the Dolomites next season, having enjoyed our holiday there last season.

I've been 3 times, and always stayed in Pozza di Fassa, so i'd like to stay in a different area of the Sella Ronda next season, and thinking Selva.

We want somewhere more lively than Pozza (not remotely difficult), not expecting French or Austrian levels of Apres ski, but does Selva have a bit more going on in the evening?

Planning on flying in to Innsbruck and hiring a car, so possibly exploring a couple of other areas a drive away from the Sella Ronda.
latest report
A bit more - but not a lot
ski holidays
@swskier, We (4 x 60+ yo blokes) were in Selva last week. A great place to stay but I wouldn't say the night life was particularly wild. Luis Keller (under Kronestube) was a bit of a matmoss at Apres Ski hours, so much so that they had bouncers on the door. Later in the evening seemed a bit quiet in the town, although we're no longer night owls so may have missed the hot action.
snow report
@halfhand, we're half your age, but not looking for big night life. Just a fairly lively bar for a couple of drinks after skiing, before back to the apartment/hotel for dinner etc. Sounds like somewhere like Luis Keller covers that.
latest report
@Hyst, problem with new snow on well prepared pistes is that it tends to spoil the skiing Mad
It clumps up and can be quite trippy unless it is particularly cold and light. It usually takes a day or two to dry out and work it into the piste. Looks good on the webcams though Laughing :l
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
@swskier, We (4 x 60+ yo blokes) were in Selva last week. A great place to stay but I wouldn't say the night life was particularly wild. Luis Keller (under Kronestube) was a bit of a matmoss at Apres Ski hours, so much so that they had bouncers on the door. Later in the evening seemed a bit quiet in the town, although we're no longer night owls so may have missed the hot action.

I would add the La Stua and Saltos bar - but generally they are busy just after skiing and quieter late on..
snow report
Even colder this morning. Down to minus 17c in Badia. snowHead
ski holidays
@Peter S, it's certainly cold in that area. I'm skiing over there from Arabba and I've had to call into the Rifugio Sponata to have a hot chocolate and warm up as my toes were starting to feel the cold....
ski holidays
How are the skiing conditions?
Looks warmer this week then going cooler third week of Feb and possibly more unsettled.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy