Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti Superski 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
@EdYarker,
Sorry not to get back Ed. Looks like the experts have replied though Cool
Left luggage will be fine for an afternoon I’m sure. It just got expensive after a couple of days last time.
I’m sure you’ll love Italy and the Dolomites. Have a great time. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks @Alastair Pink, and @albob, for your suggestions. Both these options are located such that we can do the VG loop via Monte Pana and the bus to Seiser Alm, skiing there for the morning before descending to Ortisei at lunch time. Judging by previous advice on these pages, that looks like a good use of a morning if I can persuade my group to catch a bus.

I have also read that the wider area is busiest on a Sunday? If this is true perhaps Sunday would be best as our Valley day and Saturday (change over day?) for the Sella Ronda/ Corvara?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was our first day in Corvara today and we were really pleased and a bit surprised about how good the conditions were. It was pretty cold all day, -7 when we arrived at ca 9:30 and still below zero mid afternoon. Good conditions almost all day, no slush or ice but as you'd expect the steeper sections on reds were scraped to hard pack from mid afternoon.

We just pottered around the Corvara and Pradalago area to get our legs in, how can you forget how to ski in a year ?! The only queues were at San Cassiano and Maserai (coming from Arabba to Pralongia). We had a lovely late lunch at the Pralongia Rifugio and the slopes were almost deserted when we started skiing again ca 3pm.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@richb67,
Just fabulous Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richb67 wrote:
It was our first day in Corvara today and we were really pleased and a bit surprised about how good the conditions were. It was pretty cold all day, -7 when we arrived at ca 9:30 and still below zero mid afternoon. Good conditions almost all day, no slush or ice but as you'd expect the steeper sections on reds were scraped to hard pack from mid afternoon.

We just pottered around the Corvara and Pradalago area to get our legs in, how can you forget how to ski in a year ?! The only queues were at San Cassiano and Maserai (coming from Arabba to Pralongia). We had a lovely late lunch at the Pralongia Rifugio and the slopes were almost deserted when we started skiing again ca 3pm.

Sounds like you had a nice first day, conditions were pretty good (and sunny all day after a fair amount of cloud the past day or so). We also had a late lunch at Pralongia which was great as always (if you like an aperitivo, I highly recommend the "Alpino" ! (or " Gin Al Pino")!) and got going again about 1500 too. It was noticeably quieter today which was nice as it has been busy at points the past week. Looks like a little top-up of of fresh snow is on it's way along with cold temps so you should be in for a great time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Please keep us updated this week with conditions guys snowHead Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@EdYarker

"..I have also read that the wider area is busiest on a Sunday? If this is true perhaps Sunday would be best as our Valley day and Saturday (change over day?) for the Sella Ronda/ Corvara?.."

Sorry, can't help on that one - I've only gone to the Dolomites with a TO (so always arrived on a Saturday ..!!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@EdYarker, yes, Saturday changeover day is usually noticeably quieter around the Sella Ronda.

Sunday is usually busiest as you get the new influx of week-long holidaymakers keen to get out, plus the Italian daytrippers and weekenders, plus the locals on their day off, particularly if it's fine weather and good snow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @luigi, all things being equal we will do our SR day on Saturday and Gardena Ronda on Sunday.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been out and about from Arabba today
Not busy, a few more folk than this time last year though
Odd snow showers after 2pm slowed things down a bit
Runs in v good condition
47km covered according to ski pass recording thing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Garfield, Is that overall or just skiing?

The ski pass app counts lifts, but doesn't use GPS, so assumes the shortest route between lifts.
It always records a much lesser distance than a GPS tracker app, so you would be well over that distance. Not bad for a slower afternoon.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Loving all the positive vibes about the conditions out there. Please keep them coming. 10 days until I am there for a short trip with some mates. We are staying in Pozza di Fassa. Any recommendations for restaurants and bars very welcome. Also have heard there is a floodlit piste there? Wednesday nights? Any info on that much appreciated as we arrive on Wednesday week about 3pm and would really appreciate doing a few runs on the day we arrive.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For a restaurant in Pozza, seek out Ta Mongo. Wonderful food and service at reasonable prices. Aloch floodlit piste open Weds and Fri evening- although it is often used for racing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing gently tonight. 5cms at 1350m. 10cm at 2500m forecast by tomorrow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

For a restaurant in Pozza, seek out Ta Mongo. Wonderful food and service at reasonable prices

Great, thanks for the recommendation - will book us a table
latest report
Hi we are staying in Ortisei for a few weeks and need new ski boots. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good fitter? Thanks
snow conditions
We always use Carlo's for ski rental.....not sure about fitting (but they do it), and are good people Smile
https://www.carloski.com/en/boot-fitting.asp
Good luck
ski holidays
brianatab wrote:
@Garfield, Is that overall or just skiing?

The ski pass app counts lifts, but doesn't use GPS, so assumes the shortest route between lifts.
It always records a much lesser distance than a GPS tracker app, so you would be well over that distance. Not bad for a slower afternoon.

Just the ski pass app
Fresh snow around this morning which was fab till things bumped up and visibility went after lunch.
Legs now shattered but we were out for six hours with just one stop
More snow came on about three
We have been here in the past when there has been more snow and also when there was less.
I would guess they are close to average for second week of January
snow report
@Garfield, Thanks for the updates. snowHead

Light looked flat today on the webcams
snow report
Conditions are very good. Everything open and haven’t found any queues so far.
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Conditions are very good. Everything open and haven’t found any queues so far.

What part of the Dolomites is that for?
snow conditions
Sorry should have said Alta Badia.
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Sorry should have said Alta Badia.

Excellent, im heading there in 2 weeks time. Hopefully it'll stay quiet but we arrive at start of the high season so Im not too optimistic
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
@Garfield, Thanks for the updates. snowHead

Light looked flat today on the webcams

Light was mixed today
Some bright sunshine some low clouds drifting about and snow later
I can do bumps OK and flat Light OK the two together are challenging Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Garfield wrote:

I can do bumps OK and flat Light OK the two together are challenging Toofy Grin

haha yes I know what you mean!
snow report
Early report today
Snow has stopped our play at lunchtime
Piste were excellent this morning with ok visibility snow started 11 30
Navigation gets a bit of a challenge in the snow rolling eyes
Made it back to Arabba and have dumped gear at hotel
Time for Eh oh! shortly
latest report
Snow conditions are generally excellent. Good cover on all ski run aspects and elevations. Off piste available but not generally being skied. Poor visibility above the tree line today but new snow falling until tea time. Sella Ronda clockwise was in good condition today. Bit busier than normal for low season but no significant queues.
All lifts, circuits and almost all runs are open. Minus 10 at the top of Dantracepies And minus 3 at 1340m this afternoon. More snow tonight then tomorrow looks overcast but dry with light winds.
They must be pleased how this season is panning out.
snow conditions
Thanks for the updates. Not convinced tonight's snow is going to happen though. From reading on another forum, sounds like the low pressure system that should have been forming in the Gulf of genoa, didn't, and instead formed further south in the tyrenhian sea. You can see on the radar there's virtually nothing heading up to the Dolomites at the monent. Hopefully I'm wrong.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks very much @barneybill, we went to Carlos and were pleased with the fitting and as you say very nice people. Looking forward to using the boots Smile
snow report
Posted by @Manja, elsewhere
Regarding the Saslong lifts (and slope), here's the review I wrote for Google maps (visit https://goo.gl/maps/wW7c5DVscyCeP3VDA to read all the reviews):
Stay away from the Saslong cable car that departs from St. Christina, take the ski bus to Selva (Wolkenstein) instead. The owner of the Saslong lifts has gone crazy and forces skiers to take a long and dangerous detour. The direct link (left turn) between the Saslong cable car and the Sochers/Ciampinoi ( Nr. 18 ) chair lift to Chiampinoi has been barred, instead you have to turn right, walk or push some 200 meters, cross the Saslong slope and take the Sochers ( Nr. 19 ) chair lift, crossing the Saslong slope again to reach lift nr. 18. A dangerous and very unnecessary detour, aimed to make more money with lift nr. 19.
Here's the page with information on ski busses in Val Gardena: https://www.valgardena.it/en/bus-schedule/#c4947

=========

For those interested - you can see some of the new fencing on webcams - https://valgardena.panomax.com/ciampinoi

and the new route - https://www.tageszeitung.it/2023/01/01/der-zaun-des-anstosses/
snow conditions
This Grande Guerre stuff. I've just downloaded the bus timetables for the 3 bus sections. It mentions on the bottom of them that
Quote:

SKIBUS SERVICE FOR A FEE - PLEASE BUY YOUR TICKET "MASARE' - MALGA CIAPELA", BEFORE GETTING ON BOARD, AT € 5,00 OR BUY IT ON BOARD AT
EXTRAPRICE € 6,00 OTHERWISE, BUY YOUR TICKET "GIRO SCIISTICO DELLA GRANDE GUERRA" BEFORE GETTING ON BOARD AT € 10,00 OR BUY IT ON
BOARD AT EXTRAPRICE € 12,00. YOU CAN ALSO BUY WEEKLY CARD AT € 15,00 (NOT AVAILABLE ON BOARD) OR A SEASONAL CARD AT € 50,00 (NOT
AVAILABLE ON BOARD). CHILDREN BORN AFTER 26/11/2014 ARE ALLOWED TO TRAVEL ON SKIBUS SERVICE FREE OF CHARGE.

This weekly card might be useful to us if we want to do the route both clockwise and anti, and perhaps go to Cortina on a third day. It looks like its 6 Euros each way on the busses to/from Civetta, and another 5 euros from Pescul to Fedare, so that's 17 euros on it's own (if you buy on the bus).

Since you can't buy it on the bus, any ideas where you can buy it? I've tried Googling it, but I no speako di lingo.
snow conditions
@Judwin, I know the Alleghe lift pass office sells the single skibus (€5.00 tickets), so I imagine they would also sell the weekly card ones, although I haven't ever actually bought one of those.
snow report
Wednesdays report
Fantastic
A little cloud drifting about later in the day
Cold in places but virtually no wind.
Went over to Alba etc today very quiet
latest report
@Garfield, yep a beautiful day. We headed over to Kronplatz. The pistes are in pristine condition. A bit busy between the Piculin and Kronplatz but then Uncrowded runs from the summit. The 7km Reid run was great and the two big blacks were in superb condition with few people on them. Again off piste available but no one skiing it. The Piculin was as steep as ever but softer in the sun so quite easy to ski the falline. Still making snow in one or two places but it looks as though the main snow making season is over.
ski holidays
Judwin wrote:
This Grande Guerre stuff. I've just downloaded the bus timetables for the 3 bus sections. It mentions on the bottom of them that
Quote:

SKIBUS SERVICE FOR A FEE - PLEASE BUY YOUR TICKET "MASARE' - MALGA CIAPELA", BEFORE GETTING ON BOARD, AT € 5,00 OR BUY IT ON BOARD AT
EXTRAPRICE € 6,00 OTHERWISE, BUY YOUR TICKET "GIRO SCIISTICO DELLA GRANDE GUERRA" BEFORE GETTING ON BOARD AT € 10,00 OR BUY IT ON
BOARD AT EXTRAPRICE € 12,00. YOU CAN ALSO BUY WEEKLY CARD AT € 15,00 (NOT AVAILABLE ON BOARD) OR A SEASONAL CARD AT € 50,00 (NOT
AVAILABLE ON BOARD). CHILDREN BORN AFTER 26/11/2014 ARE ALLOWED TO TRAVEL ON SKIBUS SERVICE FREE OF CHARGE.

This weekly card might be useful to us if we want to do the route both clockwise and anti, and perhaps go to Cortina on a third day. It looks like its 6 Euros each way on the busses to/from Civetta, and another 5 euros from Pescul to Fedare, so that's 17 euros on it's own (if you buy on the bus).

Since you can't buy it on the bus, any ideas where you can buy it? I've tried Googling it, but I no speako di lingo.

If you're going that way, the gift shop in the small arcade of shops near the Marmolada cablecar at Malga Ciapela used to sell the singles, so no doubt they also sell the weekly tickets too.
ski holidays
Judwin wrote:
Quote:

You only need 2 bus journeys to do the WW1 circuit anti-clockwise (Pescul-Fedare & Malga Ciapela-Alleghe ), so the €10 pre-purchased ticket will suffice...plus the Horse-Tow at Armentarola, not sure what they're charging this year, it was €2.

For clockwise, you need the 2 buses in reverse direction, plus the private minibus taxis from Armentarola up to Passo Falzarego, is that €6 or€8 per head now??

But yeah, if you're going to be using the buses 2 days or more the weekly card sounds good.
snow report
luigi wrote:
You only need 2 bus journeys to do the WW1 circuit anti-clockwise (Pescul-Fedare & Malga Ciapela-Alleghe ), so the €10 pre-purchased ticket will suffice...plus the Horse-Tow at Armentarola, not sure what they're charging this year, it was €2.

For clockwise, you need the 2 buses in reverse direction, plus the minibus taxi from Armentarola up to Passo Falzarego, is that €6 now??

Yeahbutt - €10 each way (€12 on the bus), is €20 (€24 on the bus), whereas the weeks ticket is only €15.

I was also hoping that the Armentarola up to Passo Falzarego Bus (not the taxi bus) was also included, and we might need to get that twice - once for the WW1 tour and again for the trip to Cortina. I think there are only 3 busses a day on that, but as we're staying in La Villa it shouldn't be too difficult to get the morning one.

Would've thought the €15 weeks ticket might also be useful for those on the PreBB at Alleghe too.
snow conditions
Judwin wrote:
luigi wrote:

For clockwise, you need the 2 buses in reverse direction, plus the minibus taxi from Armentarola up to Passo Falzarego, is that €6 now??

Yeahbutt - €10 each way (€12 on the bus), is €20 (€24 on the bus), whereas the weeks ticket is only €15.

I was also hoping that the Armentarola up to Passo Falzarego Bus (not the taxi bus) was also included, and we might need to get that twice - once for the WW1 tour and again for the trip to Cortina. I think there are only 3 busses a day on that, but as we're staying in La Villa it shouldn't be too difficult to get the morning one.

Would've thought the €15 weeks ticket might also be useful for those on the PreBB at Alleghe too.

Yes, I did add that the €15 weekly ticket would be a good deal if you use the buses two days or more. Do you have the link to the info on that and I can check it for you? I speak enough Italian to read bus tariffs/timetables. wink

You'll wait a long time for a bus at Armentarola, that's why the taxi guys are there cashing in!! Laughing

The buses from Alleghe & Pescul are from Dolomiti Bus which operates public services in Belluno province.

I believe the buses that run through Armentarola (in Bolzano province) are either from the SAD company based in Bolzano or from Cortina Express, so the tickets will almost certainly not be valid on these.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 18-01-23 20:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
@Garfield, it looks as though the main snow making season is over.

You think so? I was under the impression it was a pretty much constant ongoing WIP ? Perhaps my impression was wrong
ski holidays
You can check Snow making in Alta Badia here -- https://snowreport.skicarosello.it/skicarosello/?lang=en
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy