Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti Superski 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
Prebook your ski passes and save 5% (I think it has to be at least 2 days in advance of the start date).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Judwin wrote:

Getting there? We've booked car hire from VCE (for £48 all in including snow chains - what could possibly go wrong!). Is it best to plan via Alleghe/Arabba/Covara, or Pescul/Falzarego/Armentarola. Which is more likely to be open if the weather is foul?

Coaches from Venice to San Cassiano go over Passo Falzarego. I’d suggest that’s your best route to La Villa
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Judwin wrote:
Just been talked into a cheeky 6 night DIY stay in La Villa, starting 22nd Jan. AIUI it's basically the middle of the Alta Badia area. 5 days skiing, and we'll probably buy the full Dolomites ski pass. We have been to the general area several times before (Arabba, Canezei, Selva), but never to this particular corner of the Dollies. So questions...

Getting there? We've booked car hire from VCE (for £48 all in including snow chains - what could possibly go wrong!). Is it best to plan via Alleghe/Arabba/Covara, or Pescul/Falzarego/Armentarola. Which is more likely to be open if the weather is foul?
Any recommended ski hire shops in La Villa?
Pre-book the lift pass, or just rock up and buy it on day 1?
Cheap but good evening resturaunts in La Villa?

It'll probably be a rack up the miles type trip - Planning on Sella Ronda both ways, Grande Guerre both ways, and possibly over to Cortina if the wallet is holding up to the strain. I know about the Hidden Valley and Cinque Torri areas (which look easily accessible from La Villa) - anything else worth a mention in dispatches?

Cheers
Judwin

good price for the car hire Very Happy

Bet you didn't need much persuasion for the trip

I'd plan on the Arabba route and do the other if there is snow on the day or there is snowmaggedon 2. 99% of the time via Corvara will be fine. Last year on one day it put down ca 20+cm of Snow in Corvara and the pass to Arabba was only closed for a couple of hours. IIRC the road is a bit wiggly for a short stretch between Arabba and Alleghe but nothing to worry about. Again IIRC ski buses use it. After that it can be wiggly but is low down.

we're in La Villa for two weeks so would be good to get your recommendations/experiences on restaurants and the war route. have spent quite a few weeks in Alta Badia but have never done the latter as it seems a bit too much hanging around for buses, we've preferred to drive to another area, e.g. Kronplatz is just up the road.

For Cortina it's an easy drive to Tofana (maybe 30-40mins), there is a large free car park, you can't miss it. Actually there are two, one either side of the road right by the lift station. We think Tofana is a nice day out.

Hidden valley is easy, either drive and park at the top by the lift station (large free car park), maybe ski Cinque Torri before hidden valley then shared taxi back from Armentola or ski to Armentola from La Villa and then get the taxi. Remember some cash for the horse tow. Also, HV is on the anticlockwise (?) war route
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Off to dolomites for a month Very Happy driving down this week so nice to see fresh snow on the web cams today.

We're in Corvara w/c 14th Jan, then Madonna di Campiglio w/c 21st before returning to La Villa for 2 weeks. Happy to answer any questions.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was happy to see the snow too. I will be in Arabba next week. Will do some Sella Ronda, Marmolada, Hidden Valley, Alta Badia day, La Longia and if conditions permit will attempt to ski to Cortina and back. I'm definitely excited. It is an amazing part of the world.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve enjoyed the webcams the last few days. Getting excited. Love the Dolomites. Roll on the 4th! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

It'll probably be a rack up the miles type trip - Planning on Sella Ronda both ways, Grande Guerre both ways, and possibly over to Cortina if the wallet is holding up to the strain. I know about the Hidden Valley and Cinque Torri areas (which look easily accessible from La Villa) - anything else worth a mention in dispatches?

Cheers
Judwin[/quote]

@Judwin

There is a ski hire shop and depot where you can leave skis equipment overnight if required free of charge (provided that you rent their equipment)
It is located underneath the main gondola (go to the rear of the ski pass office and down the stairs) Have always had good service but unfortunately cannot remember the name of the business)

Can't think of any stand alone restaurants in La Villa, most seem to be in hotels with a couple of cafes for coffee/cake etc

As mentioned the ski pass office is part of the main gondola complex, have not found much difference in price by pre-booking
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Judwin wrote:
Just been talked into a cheeky 6 night DIY stay in La Villa, starting 22nd Jan. AIUI it's basically the middle of the Alta Badia area. 5 days skiing, and we'll probably buy the full Dolomites ski pass. We have been to the general area several times before (Arabba, Canezei, Selva), but never to this particular corner of the Dollies. So questions...

Cheers
Judwin

Regarding the hire car, if you have gone with Italy Car Rent, make sure to check the snow chains (i.e. open them up and look at them) before heading off. I've just arrived in San Cassiano after a pretty eventful drive with a car from the above company, driving over the Falzarego pass. It was snowing fairly heavily onto slush at lower levels then gradually a thicker snow base higher up. The summer tyres fitted crapped out just ascending out of Corrina, so we stopped to fit chains. Rusty chains. Rusty chains of which one was partially broken , causing it to flail and strike the wheel arch every revolution. Tried to tighten/fix it at the top of the pass (at over 2000m, -8C in a blizzard with already freezing hands) but it needed a chain cutter to properly fix it.

The descent down into San Cassiano was pretty hairy; the chains helped a lot but when the snow isn't too deep/hard packed they tend to skid on the tarmac. Several cars with just winter tyres passed us easily with much more grip and control so summer tyres + chains is really not that great.

So at least check the chains and ask them to show you how to fit before you head off, or better yet try get a car with winter tyres instead, the difference is crazy. (Italy Car Rent might not have any cars with winter tyres... though they are cheap Very Happy )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And re chains (from Bergamo airport)
Zest car hire broker , quiet a lot of the car hire cos ,60E to rent chains
Ryanair car hire , most cars had then included FOC
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@twiceforluck2, Yep, aware Snow chains can be an issue. But even if you book a car with snow tyres, when you get to the airport you sometimes find they've given you one with chains in the boot. We just book what's cheap (In this instance OptimoRent - never heard of em!) and if required buy snow chains from a local supermarket.

There's two qualified engineers on this trip (one Automotive) so we're not saddled with the problems of some useless Sheldon Cooper style theoretical Phyicist Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Judwin wrote:
@twiceforluck2, Yep, aware Snow chains can be an issue. But even if you book a car with snow tyres, when you get to the airport you sometimes find they've given you one with chains in the boot. We just book what's cheap (In this instance OptimoRent - never heard of em!) and if required buy snow chains from a local supermarket.

There's two qualified engineers on this trip (one Automotive) so we're not saddled with the problems of some useless Sheldon Cooper style theoretical Phyicist Happy

Yeah, can be an issue. I've rented from Venice Marco Polo airport this time and on previous occasions. Hertz last time were really good, I think all their cars have at least All Season tyres if not winter specific ones. Italy Car Rent very cheap (~£50) but as we've found out not quite so good.

I'd never used snow chains before but I did watch some instructional YouTube videos the past week or so just in case. They helped but trying to fit them in the cold/wind/low light is a little different! Maybe that's because I'm a mathematician not an engineer Very Happy Got there in the end but will be much quicker next time. A good experience once it was all over though Little Angel

On the plus side it means there's been a decent amount of snow so I'm not going to complain too much!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Judwin wrote:

In Italy during winter we've always had chains in the boot, even if we booked winter tyres (which have also been all season, but with the mountain symbol). There were even chains in the boot of our hire car in September! It's a legal requirement in specific regions during Nov-April so I assume they just leave them in all year.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richb67 wrote:
Off to dolomites for a month Very Happy driving down this week so nice to see fresh snow on the web cams today.

We're in Corvara w/c 14th Jan, then Madonna di Campiglio w/c 21st before returning to La Villa for 2 weeks. Happy to answer any questions.

I would be interested in your route /overnight stops / where your starting point in UK is / how long it takes / estimated costs (fuel , overnight stop / tolls) please!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm off to San Martino di Castrozza in two weeks but noticed today all lifts and runs are closed except in Passo Rolle. The weather looks great and there's very little wind. Anyone guess why this would be????
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ignatius wrote:
I'm off to San Martino di Castrozza in two weeks but noticed today all lifts and runs are closed except in Passo Rolle. The weather looks great and there's very little wind. Anyone guess why this would be????

Some areas are closed due to high winds, including half of Cortina, and the Grande Guerre routes. Sella Ronda also has warnings not to ski outside your own valley.

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Open-lifts
snow conditions
Can be the only reason but reports saying wind is fine but there are gusts of 21mph.
snow report
sheffskibod wrote:
richb67 wrote:

I would be interested in your route /overnight stops / where your starting point in UK is / how long it takes / estimated costs (fuel , overnight stop / tolls) please!

I asked some questions on this thread and got good advice, well I hope it's good advice...
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5016356&highlight=corvara+driving#5016356

in summary

Wednesday pm leave Taunton area drive to Folkestone, ca 4-6 hrs, overnight holiday inn (leaving Weds to arrive Friday am and miss pm traffic as suggested by a SnowHead) hotel £65
Thursday - Eurotunnel ca 8:30, drive to OY Mittelberg est 8-9 hrs, route will be determined by traffic forecasts when we arrive in Calais, there are a couple of options basically toll via France or toll free via Belgium, (OY Mittelberg recommended by a SnowHead as intermediate stop) hotel £55
Friday drive to AltaBadia ca 4 hrs, stop at supermarket at Brunico, pop over to Corvara to pick up skis, ski pass, pay for lessons etc
Friday night we have a cheap B&B in Badia (£70),
Saturday - ski Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ! and get keys to our apartment in Corvara

buy Vignette for Austrian toll roads at least 18 days before departure (you choose a start date when you buy online, Eur10 for 10 days)

return is leaving Sat am, booking somewhere enroute on the day and then tunnel back mid pm Sunday.

I'll update the thread linked above with my experience

Off tomorrow can't quite believe it
snow conditions
How's the piste holding up over there? Heading out on Friday. snowHead
latest report
sean1967 wrote:

Pretty good in Alta Badia today. Great for the first 2-3 hours (until 11/12 ish), then a few soft bumps starting to form in places, but still good fun. Seemed to be -4C at 2000m at the warmest so no slush or anything, even down to ~1500m as it was around about 0C. A little windy but only really on one run/lift in Alta Badia (Marasei up to Pralongia) was it noticeable, and down the first half of the blue 9A where you might become stationary if you didn't tuck! Despite the wind and slightly warmer temps last week there were hardly any icy patches so very good all considering.

Should be good for another few days at least with temps staying low enough and the good work of the piste bashers here.
latest report
Sounds good snowHead
Still plenty of people out and about on the webcams but doesn’t look quite as busy as the last 3 weeks. Presumably lots of Germans came south for their holidays ?

https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c15328/

Looks like a bit more snow showing up again next week.
The forecast this week looks like some Sunshine and cold air from tomorrow. From the local weather stations the humidity has been down below 60% today which should be keeping the snow in good condition. Looks like all of the lifts are now open.

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/wetter/prognose/#day5
ski holidays
"..A little windy but only really on one run/lift in Alta Badia (Marasei up to Pralongia) was it noticeable.."

Not nicknamed 'Misery' for nothing...!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
twiceforluck2 wrote:
sean1967 wrote:

Pretty good in Alta Badia today. Great for the first 2-3 hours (until 11/12 ish), then a few soft bumps starting to form in places, but still good fun. Seemed to be -4C at 2000m at the warmest so no slush or anything, even down to ~1500m as it was around about 0C. A little windy but only really on one run/lift in Alta Badia (Marasei up to Pralongia) was it noticeable, and down the first half of the blue 9A where you might become stationary if you didn't tuck! Despite the wind and slightly warmer temps last week there were hardly any icy patches so very good all considering.

Should be good for another few days at least with temps staying low enough and the good work of the piste bashers here.

Thanks. Sounds great. Some snow forecast for next week too.
ski holidays
albob wrote:
"..A little windy but only really on one run/lift in Alta Badia (Marasei up to Pralongia) was it noticeable.."

It's unbelievable. Even on the 'taps aff' days, it's still absolutely baltic on that chair. I had a particularly brutal time on it in 2016, stop start all the way.
snow conditions
sean1967 wrote:
albob wrote:

It's unbelievable. Even on the 'taps aff' days, it's still absolutely baltic on that chair. I had a particularly brutal time on it in 2016, stop start all the way.

If ever a lift needed a hood it's that one Shocked
Great quiet runs down ether side which are great for a bit of carving. (the windy lift may be the reason it's a quiet couple of runs? )
snow conditions
Garfield wrote:
sean1967 wrote:
albob wrote:

If ever a lift needed a hood it's that one Shocked

^+1
ski holidays
Chains have to be supplied by law for free in Veneto - you have to ask tbough. This applies to Marco Paulo and Treviso airports
snow conditions
@Judwin, I had to put chains on to get over Falzarego in April! I think Belluno, Alleghe, Arabba, Campolungo, Corvara is better, top height is 1800m rather than >2000m. I’d recommend the trip to Ortisei via the sunny side of Val Gardena. And obviously the trip to La Crusc.
snow report
Currently in Santa Cristina and having a great holiday . We were in the Dolomites same week last year and the slopes are much much busier, the Germans are back with gusto together with people from East Europe, only the Russians are missing.
we did not queue for long anywhere but on some pistes you need to be very careful and in the afternoon you do find moguls Evil or Very Mad I don’t know how to ski them , when I see the humps I panic and hope for the best Very Happy .
Our hotel is one of the best we ever been, delicious food and the spa is to die for, outdoor n indoor pools, a jacuzzi pool , it is so much fun , outdoor jacuzzi and the usual saunas steam. for us the spa is as important as the skiing and are totally impressed with the facilities. Wine prices in the hotel are around 30 per bottle sprits 7, beer 6 .
Prices in the mountain s huts have increased but not as much as I thought. Sprits between 6 to 7. Bombardino still 5 everywhere. Medium beer 5.50 the lowest 7 the highest. Cappuccino 3 to 3.5. We don’t eat at lunch time so not sure about food prices.
First time that we are reliant on the ski busses to move around and not enjoying the experience , for the rest the area is as good as ever and the snow is better than I thought . Today going to Ortisei, for the annual La longia / Fermeda galore.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the updates everyone. 5.50 for a medium beer sounds like a massive hike. In Alta badia 4 years ago we were paying below 5 for a large beer which I class as 0.5l.
snow conditions
Harrow lady wrote:

Our hotel is one of the best we ever been, delicious food and the spa is to die for, outdoor n indoor pools, a jacuzzi pool , it is so much fun , outdoor jacuzzi and the usual saunas steam. for us the spa is as important as the skiing and are totally impressed with the facilities.

This sounds great, what is name of hotel, how close to the lifts and would it be kid friendly? Might put it in the memory bank for future trips.

Maybe its my age but for me good wellness also very high on list of priorities.
snow report
Looks like a good amount of snow is on the way this weekend. Over 25cm showing expected at MdC Sunday night.
snow report
Looking great next week too, topping up nicely for my trip to San Martino on the 25th when the sun comes out snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

@twiceforluck2,
Thanks much! I'll be in Arabba next week, looking forward to it.
latest report
@8611, hello, it is hotel diamant Santa Cristina.
It is in between S. Cristina and Ortisei, far away from the slopes and the centre of both towns
you need to take ski busses or the hotel shuttle .
The place is very child friendly and the food is excellent. The spa is split into two areas, adult only for three saunas and 1 steam, the pools area is open to all.
latest report
Pros and cons then @Harrow lady, thanks, enjoy rest of your trip!
snow conditions
Hello all,
Maybe not very relevant for most of you but just to share. We are coming from the Netherlands on Friday 3rd Feb with a total of 13 hours by train+bus to Pozza di Fassa. We have a 3 train + 1 bus journey planned. Taking a night train from Arnhem to Dusseldorf, Dusseldorf-München (arrival 06:03), then a morning train 7:34-11:27 to Bolzano, from there we take the 180 bus to Pozza (approx. 1 hour). The best bit with the trentino guest card the bus is free. If all runs smoothly (fingers crossed) the journey time and costs are less than driving.
We are two people that can sleep anywhere light/noise/chairs not a problem, which did have influence on our choices. Booking with DB (Deutsche Bahn) we pay 125 euro per person return trip.
snow report
Some great up to date info from Harrow Lady above snowHead

I’m sure lots of the Dolomite fans here have done this already but if you haven’t, I can recommend flying into Marco Polo, getting the water bus to Venice and enjoying a few days there before heading up the mountains. It’s a very relaxed start to your skiing holiday. The airport is modern and reliable and Venice is quiet in January. We didn’t have any problems carrying our skis the short distance from the jetty to the hotel! Last time we found that left luggage in the airport was a fortune. Better to save that money for the food and drink in Venice Laughing
snow report
@Peter S, just noticed that you have answered a question I’ve just posted on the resorts section about left luggage at the airport. We were hoping to use it as we are in Marco Polo in a couple of weeks and have an afternoon to kill..
I came onto this thread to check current conditions. From what I can tell it seems to be holding up well with more snow due this week? Any areas to avoid at the moment?
Also I could do with some advice. We are staying in Selva but one of our group can’t ski, so we were going to spend one day (out of 2,5) in the VG valley so he can meet for lunch. Where would people recommend we do this? We all ski fine and he will be ok to catch a bus to eg Ortisei and a gondola up..
On our other full day, I thought a whip round the SR and then a gourmet lunch at one of the top restaurants in Corvara. I’ve seen loads of recommendations on this forum and difficult to narrow it down to one.. any help on this dilemma welcome (would rather not pay absolute top dollar).
Finally, is it worth the detour out to Santa Croc? It doesn’t look too far out of our way on the map, but I know that sometimes doesn’t tell the whole story.
Thank you in advance
ski holidays
EdYarker wrote:

Also I could do with some advice. We are staying in Selva but one of our group can’t ski, so we were going to spend one day (out of 2,5) in the VG valley so he can meet for lunch. Where would people recommend we do this? We all ski fine and he will be ok to catch a bus to eg Ortisei and a gondola up..

Ortisei is the prettiest of the towns in the Val Gardena valley, with a pedestrianised main street. On the main street just near to the pedestrian footbridge over the river is the restaurant Mauriz Keller which I've been to several times and has great food and reasonably priced. Sometimes they'll even give you complementary limoncello drink at the end of the meal. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@EdYarker, "..We all ski fine and he will be ok to catch a bus to eg Ortisei and a gondola up.."

Bus from Selva to Ortisei ; Walk/Travelator to the Ortisei-Furnes gondola ; swap to the Furnes - Seceda cable car. Lunch in the Restaurant/cafe in the cable car station. Fantastic views and good food

https://www.valgardena.it/en/webcams/seceda-live/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy