Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti Superski 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to book 28th Jan or 4th Feb San Cassiano! Haven't visited the Dolomites for many years. Stayed twice in Arabba before now. Looks like a good link into the Sella Ronda and close to Hidden Valley & Marmolada glacier.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To get to the Sella Ronda, you'll have to go up and ski across to Corvara, or Passo Campolongo via the Cherz slopes. Hidden valley cable car is just up the road from Cassiano. Good luck with finding available accommodation with only a few weeks to go. Lot of accommodation in Alta Badia gets booked up early.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Maloney~888, You can now easily access Cortina from San Cassiano. Get the bus up to Passo Falzarego and ski down to the Gondola link at Bai de Dones.

Return via Cinque Torri and hidden valley.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info. If can’t get booked into Dolomites will be looking to Saalbach again.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
San Cassiano had gone. Booked Selva! Haven’t visited Dolomites since Arabba back in 2016. Looking forward Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well done for finding somewhere. Least Selva is a great location to access the Sella Ronda.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excited, hotel is a t bar away from the gondola!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@albob, hello , I was looking at inspired Italy videos and they showed the sottoguda canyons. I have read that they are closed at the moment, do you know if they will re-open this season.? The place looks spectacular and would love to go there but cannot find any info .
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like the Great War tour is now open in both directions. The frontside of the Laguzoi is also showing open back to the cable car station.

Mild today but it looks a bit colder on the GEFS model after the 7th January. Skiing Conditions look very good but busy on the webcams. Any reports on the ground ?
Perhaps a bit of cosmetic snow in the forecast around the 8th of Jan ?

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c14105/

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c9995/

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 3-01-23 13:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Harrow lady, @Alastair Pink is the expert on the Sottoguda Gorge - I am sure he posted a couple on months ago that the Gorge would not be open for this season.... Sad

Found his post from back in June

"..As some of you will know, the area near Alleghe and Malga Ciapella was hit by a violent storm in November 2018 which caused a lot of damage, bringing down trees and in the Sotteguda gorge washing away many bridges and much of the footpath through the gorge, causing a huge amount of damage. Since then the gorge has been closed, but in anticipation of next year's preBBWUW and Birthday Bash I thought I'd check with the local tourist office whether it was due to be open again by then. Sadly this is the reply I just received:

"Unfortunately the Serrai di Sottoguda will be inaccessible for the whole of 2022 because it is a construction site.
At the moment the date for the reopening that we have been told is NOVEMBER 2023, but a lot will depend on how the works will proceed from next spring"

Oh well, looks like we'll have to wait for 2024 before we can ski along the gorge again. ..."
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter S wrote:
Looks like the Great War tour is now open in both directions. The frontside of the Laguzoi is also showing open back to the cable car station.

Mild today but it looks a bit colder on the GEFS model after the 6th January. Skiing Conditions look very good on the webcams. Any reports on the ground ?
Perhaps a bit of cosmetic snow in the forecast around the 9th of Jan ?

Looks busy

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c14105/

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c9995/

I had a report from a friend a few days ago that piste conditions are very good. Looks OK for snow making then another drop in temperature, ojala with some snow on the 9th (if not before). Moderate snow 9th to 13th would be ideal actually, followed by 14 days of blue skies, -1°C at resort level. Too much to ask?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Maloney~888, Some fantastic runs into Selva, and an ideal place to get around the Sela Ronda in either direction.

You are there at the same time as the BB, so keep a lookout for any bright orange buffs.
If you want any recommendations for places to eat, just ask on the BB thread. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Brilliant thank you! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The BB is the week after I think, but it is the same time as PreBBWUW in Alleghe.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The S19BB is the week after I think, but it is the same time as PreBBWUW in Alleghe. Cool
snow conditions
Yep, my mistake. We will be in Alleghe that week. However, some people do make forays onto the Sella Ronda, mostly around Marmolada and Cinque Tori, but unlikely to get over as far as Selva in any numbers.
Some may do the Grand War tour, which includes the link from hidden valley to Marmolada via Arabba.

Plus quite a few will probably spend at least 1 day in Cortina.
ski holidays
We’re there Feb 4th!
latest report
albob wrote:
@Harrow lady, @Alastair Pink is the expert on the Sottoguda Gorge - I am sure he posted a couple on months ago that the Gorge would not be open for this season.... Sad

Found his post from back in June

"..As some of you will know, the area near Alleghe and Malga Ciapella was hit by a violent storm in November 2018 which caused a lot of damage, bringing down trees and in the Sotteguda gorge washing away many bridges and much of the footpath through the gorge, causing a huge amount of damage. Since then the gorge has been closed, but in anticipation of next year's preBBWUW and Birthday Bash I thought I'd check with the local tourist office whether it was due to be open again by then. Sadly this is the reply I just received:

"Unfortunately the Serrai di Sottoguda will be inaccessible for the whole of 2022 because it is a construction site.
At the moment the date for the reopening that we have been told is NOVEMBER 2023, but a lot will depend on how the works will proceed from next spring"

Oh well, looks like we'll have to wait for 2024 before we can ski along the gorge again. ..."

Thank you, something to look forward for next year then,
ski holidays
Maloney~888 wrote:
We’re there Feb 4th!

We are in Corvara that week, out first time in the region. Doing lots of reading at the moment to try to orientate ourselves.
snow conditions
It’s a beautiful place! Cool
ski holidays
...going back to Kronplatz in 3 weeks time after 2 seasons absence due to scamdemic shenanigans, so are there any restrictions still in place, or all back to normal, bar prices, tia?
ski holidays
All restrictions stopped in Italy last September (But they still advise wearing a mask in crowded situations)

https://www.viaggiaresicuri.it/approfondimenti-insights/saluteinviaggio
snow report
ZaZo wrote:
...going back to Kronplatz in 3 weeks time after 2 seasons absence due to scamdemic shenanigans, so are there any restrictions still in place, or all back to normal, bar prices, tia?

I was there at the start of this season in November / December and no restrictions noticeable. I wasn’t using the ski bus but on the normal service bus and on the train (normal public transport) it seemed that in bigger cities (Munich for example) more people did wear masks whilst using public transport, but in more rural areas (San Vigilio, Bruneck, Reischach) masks less in evidence. People weren’t wearing them in gondolas. But it was quiet
snow conditions
endoman wrote:
Maloney~888 wrote:
We’re there Feb 4th!

We are in Corvara that week, out first time in the region. Doing lots of reading at the moment to try to orientate ourselves.

Thankfully, it’s all far less confusing on the ground than it appears on the maps.
snow report
Well I've got a box of masks left over from last year. Might be worth sticking them in just in case, on the basis that if I've got some, I won't need them.
latest report
@brianatab, yes. I kept one in a pocket and used it two or maybe three times on public transport
ski holidays
brianatab wrote:
Well I've got a box of masks left over from last year. Might be worth sticking them in just in case, on the basis that if I've got some, I won't need them.
yep, that's what I intend doing, plus I will don an FFP2 mask if I feel vulnerable, whatever the regulations eg, here, on the underground.
snow report
Looks like the Dolomites will be getting some decent snow in the coming week
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Praise the snow lord Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Mcaff wrote:

Puzzled
latest report
red 27 wrote:
Mcaff wrote:

Puzzled

There's some forecast, not huge but a little goes a long way in the Dollies. It'll be cold too so hopefully they'll make a load too. Decent accumulation until the 13th then cold blueskies for 2 weeks is my hope.
snow report
5 to 10cm possible Sunday /Monday, maybe more in the southern dolomites. Any top up is good but its hardly going to be epic
snow report
Bergfex and GFS are suggesting 8-10cms at resort level. Should look nice on the webcams without causing any significant disruption to the skiing. Beyond Wednesday it looks to return predominantly dry, cool and hopefully sunny again.

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/wetter/prognose/#day3
latest report
sean1967 wrote:
Decent accumulation until the 13th then cold blueskies for 2 weeks is my hope.

The 13th being our first day on the mountain is Selva. Cool Thank the Lord. Confused
latest report
Dolomites definitely seem colder than elsewhere this year. Plus a bit more snow. A good year for my first visit (still 9 weeks away though)
snow report
...snowing since yesterday in Kronplatz Very Happy
snow report
Just been talked into a cheeky 6 night DIY stay in La Villa, starting 22nd Jan. AIUI it's basically the middle of the Alta Badia area. 5 days skiing, and we'll probably buy the full Dolomites ski pass. We have been to the general area several times before (Arabba, Canezei, Selva), but never to this particular corner of the Dollies. So questions...

Getting there? We've booked car hire from VCE (for £48 all in including snow chains - what could possibly go wrong!). Is it best to plan via Alleghe/Arabba/Covara, or Pescul/Falzarego/Armentarola. Which is more likely to be open if the weather is foul?
Any recommended ski hire shops in La Villa?
Pre-book the lift pass, or just rock up and buy it on day 1?
Cheap but good evening resturaunts in La Villa?

It'll probably be a rack up the miles type trip - Planning on Sella Ronda both ways, Grande Guerre both ways, and possibly over to Cortina if the wallet is holding up to the strain. I know about the Hidden Valley and Cinque Torri areas (which look easily accessible from La Villa) - anything else worth a mention in dispatches?

Cheers
Judwin
snow conditions
For your drive in, best leave Arabba out of the picture if the weather is bad, @Judwin.
ski holidays
Judwin wrote:
It'll probably be a rack up the miles type trip - Planning on Sella Ronda both ways, Grande Guerre both ways, and possibly over to Cortina if the wallet is holding up to the strain. I know about the Hidden Valley and Cinque Torri areas (which look easily accessible from La Villa) - anything else worth a mention in dispatches?

Cheers
Judwin

Have you been to La Crusc/ Santa Croce/ Heiligenkreuz? Very easy to get to from La Villa. Nice place for lunch, and the pistes back down from there are nice tree lined runs. Very Happy https://www.lacrusc.com/?lang=en
snow conditions
@pam w, Yeah, have driven to Arabba before in snow, although not in a Snomaggeddon. Trouble is the other routes also look a bit 'wiggly'. Wonder if we should plan on heading to Cortina on SS51, and then over via Pocol on SS48.

@Alastair Pink, Not sure - I think we went up there last time we went to Arabba. Yeah, looks like the sort of 'end of the valley' place the others might enjoy, or if we end up needing a local 'rest day'. Could also try and incorporate it into a day out to Kronplatz.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy