Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Niseko Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
@rayscoops, you might find Japan's takkyubin service useful, you can find these in the airport and they offer a very convenient and affordable solution to lugging heavy bags around, eg https://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/ytc/en/send/services/takkyubin/

Have a great trip!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rayscoops, We used the transfer service on our trip to Japan in 2000, can’t remember how much it cost but thought it very reasonable and saved us a lot of hassle.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@larry1950, @JapanSkiExperience, thanks for this, all booked up now with car hire the other end so have to continue with my plans, but wish I had followed your suggestions rather than lugging 50kg around ... should have left a suitcase at Sapporo airport and then also at the airport in Tokyo for a few days

Back to the weather ... taken the morning off snowboarding because it's been raining heavily at resort level Hirafu ... hopefully snowing up top ...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hasn't stopped snowing all day, looks like it isn't going to stop snowing for a few more days ... boot / knee deep on the upper pistes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boom! Looks like work will send me to Japan in Jan for a month or so with the option to take a bit of leave. Any skiing will be on my own and I really want the full Japow experience so will want to join a guided group. So far I have found Hokkaido Backcountry Club. Any other outfits worth looking at? Open to going to Nagano or Hokkaido although the only guiding outfit that I could find in Nagano, Evergreen, aren't offering group tours this season
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Any other outfits worth looking at?
We're going with this company in February. Can't wait Very Happy https://skilasjapan.com/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dancing snow in Myoko - not far from Nagano. I've booked a few days with them in Feb.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow Japan reporting 12cm overnight at Niseko and 181cm so far for the month so it will be looking good there now.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It hasn't stopped snowing for a day and a half ...

Oh, and make sure you phone has a Q Code reader & a translation app and you have a credit card if you are partial to a coffee on the mountain wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mountainaddict, @hang11, thanks for the suggestions
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rayscoops, may I suggest you use one of the luggage forwarding companies such as Yamato transport to ship your bags to the hotel in the resort. We do. So we arriving early in Tokyo, sending all the ski gear to niseko and only keeping our carry on bags for a few days in Tokyo and Kyoto.

It is quite common in Japan
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, thanks and I have messed up really, but a bit too late for this trip.

Snow report - it's still snowing Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
@rayscoops, may I suggest you use one of the luggage forwarding companies such as Yamato transport to ship your bags to the hotel in the resort. We do. So we arriving early in Tokyo, sending all the ski gear to niseko and only keeping our carry on bags for a few days in Tokyo and Kyoto.

It is quite common in Japan

Is it better to stay in tokyo before or after skiing? Planning a trip, but I would have more likely visited tokyo afterwards. Not sure how jet lag will affect me, but it takes me days to recover when returning from the US, which is the same direction (ie travelling east)!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gored, On out last trip and our next one we did the sightseeing first to get over Jet lag rather than waste any skiing time. After an overnight flight to Tokyo I was rather tired walking around the town on that first day. We went up the Tokyo tower, which I reccomend, in the afternoon, but then went to bed very early. The next day we were back to normal. Just travelling around Tokyo on the metro, walking the streets and of course visiting the shops was excellent.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gored, I did the same as @johnE, and would recommend it. I was picking up a hire car in Hokkaido and would not have wanted to do the drive in dumping snow without having slept properly for 36 hours. We arrived in Tokyo in the evening, got a feed and went straight to bed. Woke up super early the next morning and spent the day just pottering and taking in the sights. One more good nights sleep, then first train to the airport and up to Sapporo.

So jealous of everyone in this thread, gonna be a while before I can get back out.
snow conditions
It's been a cold, windy and snowy few days in Niseko. At the Japan Ski Experience snow station about 10cm has settled each night, but wind has been blowing the snow around and in parts of the resort there are deep stashes of fresh powder. Night skiing has just started for the first time across all 4 resorts and the sun might even come out tomorrow! Happy days Smile

https://japanskiexperience.com/category/niseko-snow-report/

latest report
Nice blue sky Monday, rain on Tuesday then basically snowing 24 hours a day until I left this morning (still snowing) on Sunday.

Incredible amounts of snow and I have never before had such an amount of powder (knee /thigh deep) accessed off the lifts and piste.
snow report
Niseko night skiing is back, and now across all 4 Niseko United resorts!

https://japanskiexperience.com/news-and-articles/night-skiing-at-niseko-ski-resort/

snow conditions
Good morning from Niseko!

https://japanskiexperience.com/category/niseko-snow-report/
latest report
^ and that my friends is why every snowHead should go to Japan one day!

We've done it twice to visit each of our "kids" when they were ski instructors there...trips/snow of a lifetime both times.

Save up...do it!
snow report
What are the best catski operations in Hokkaido?

Tried Weiss once which was great. Would love to make a list of what is available as it would definitely be on agenda for the next trip.
latest report
rambotion wrote:
Boom! Looks like work will send me to Japan in Jan for a month or so with the option to take a bit of leave. Any skiing will be on my own and I really want the full Japow experience so will want to join a guided group. So far I have found Hokkaido Backcountry Club. Any other outfits worth looking at? Open to going to Nagano or Hokkaido although the only guiding outfit that I could find in Nagano, Evergreen, aren't offering group tours this season

https://www.whiteroomtours.com/
latest report
rungsp wrote:
^
Save up...do it!

From what I have worked out, it is not that much more expensive once you have flights sorted... unless I have not included something.
Just deciding between Hakuba & Niesko for next year!
snow report
mooney058 wrote:
What are the best catski operations in Hokkaido?

Tried Weiss once which was great. Would love to make a list of what is available as it would definitely be on agenda for the next trip.

https://www.hokkaidobackcountryclub.com/en/cat-skiing/chisenupuri-snowcats/

https://www.hokkaidobackcountryclub.com/en/cat-skiing/shimamaki-snowcats/

https://iwanairesort.com/

https://risingsunguides.com/cat-skiing/

Overview (including Honshu)

https://www.powderhounds.com/Japan/Cat-Skiing.aspx
ski holidays
Gored wrote:
rungsp wrote:
^
Save up...do it!

From what I have worked out, it is not that much more expensive once you have flights sorted... unless I have not included something.
Just deciding between Hakuba & Niesko for next year!

Indeed, with a bit of planning it is the same cost as in the Alpes. Flights are now more expensive than what I paid in 2018 (eur 500 return) and 2020 (eur 700 return). 500 eur is very reasonable comparing to train/transfer prices in Geneva, etc. And it takes 11-15 hours (with RU airspace closed a fair bit more) - almost the same duration as driving to eg
BSM or Moutiers
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, thanks a lot! Super helpful as always.
snow conditions
Not a catski operator, however it is the coolest guy on the Shiribetsu. Pär Dahlin

https://parpowparadise.com/

https://www.powderlife.com/blog/par-dahlin-in-focus/
latest report
If it's any help - numbers in NZD so halve the number for English pesos:

- Two weeks accommodation in Myoko for 2 - $3,000 (incl breakfast and daily shuttle services to local areas)
- Two weeks hire of an AWD clown car with snow tyres - $1,300 (not sure at 6'2" I'll fit in it)
- 10 days of passes pre bought at a discount for various areas, going from cheap (Togakushi) to spendy (Lotte Arai) $450
- 3 nights accommodation in Tokyo - $400
- Daily rate for a BC guide - $200 per person
- 2 weeks Insurance for 2 including back country and mountaineering cover - $1,000

Flights return from NZ - $1600 each but think they are a lot more now
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you would like to get a feel for prices in resort, feel free to go to our website and get some quotes. We can recommend accommodation to suit your budget and answer any questions.
ski holidays
Hyst wrote:
Not a catski operator, however it is the coolest guy on the Shiribetsu. Pär Dahlin

https://parpowparadise.com/

https://www.powderlife.com/blog/par-dahlin-in-focus/

Have you tried their services? Looks like tough day - all the time standing-up, even on a way up
ski holidays
No it's not for me! But looks good for powderjunkies. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Every time I look at random ski areas on Hokkaido (eg Kiroro) on Snow-forecast.com, it's showing stuff like this - wow!! Very Happy

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! Laughing

latest report
^ that wind speed is mad!
snow report
Quote:
that wind speed is mad!
I thought nothing of it @AL9000! I must be too used to checking the Scottish areas! Laughing Here's *Cairngorm summit forecast:

*Location of the UK's highest recorded wind speeds. Top wack was around 175 mph (280kph) if I'm not mistaken Shocked
latest report
Ok, so I haven’t really followed this thread too much, Ive just scanned it with a few red wines on board. There’s a possibility of ditching Jan in Europe and booking two weeks or so at the end of January in Niseko.

It looks good there now, can someone just confirm that all the off piste is filled in, all the lifts up and running, is the night skiing on yet? As I say the wine and WhatsApp’s have been free flowing this evening with the group so forgive me if I’ve missed the info……
ski holidays
you could also look at Hakuba - easier to get to than tokyo & a bit cheaper!
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Any other outfits worth looking at?
We're going with this company in February. Can't wait Very Happy https://skilasjapan.com/

Enjoy, I skied with them a few years ago. You'll probably ski quite a bit at Kokusai, seems to be one of Silas' favourites! Had a great trip.
snow conditions
Quote:
Enjoy, I skied with them a few years ago. You'll probably ski quite a bit at Kokusai, seems to be one of Silas' favourites! Had a great trip.
Good to hear @musehead Very Happy The itinerary says we'll ski at least five different places. I'm sure it will all be good. A question. for you: Was the Skilas skiing mostly in the backcountry? Or was it a mix of in-bounds powder, side country etc? Not having skied Japan before, we're not sure where Skilas will find all this legendary powder Laughing
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Good to hear @musehead Very Happy The itinerary says we'll ski at least five different places. I'm sure it will all be good. A question. for you: Was the Skilas skiing mostly in the backcountry? Or was it a mix of in-bounds powder, side country etc? Not having skied Japan before, we're not sure where they'll find all this legendary powder Laughing
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
A question. for you: Was the Skilas skiing mostly in the backcountry? Or was it a mix of in-bounds powder, side country etc? Not having skied Japan before, we're not sure where Skilas will find all this legendary powder Laughing

It was all lift-accessed powder, side country, sometimes needing a little bit of a walk but we didn't use touring equipment. He knows the resorts really well, including areas you probably wouldn't find very easily (or at all) if not with someone who skis there regularly. There's nothing secret really but I found it a good and hassle-free way to ski with a group of strong skiers, be shown around different resorts by someone who knows the area really well, get driven around etc.

If you want to do some proper ski touring however, I'd recommend to use another company for that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy