Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2022/23 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
Mike S wrote:
Taking_the_piste wrote:
According to their app the mont vallon lift is closed. Anyone know why? I hope it'll open by the 22nd.
High wind. Most of the upper lifts were closed in the Meribel valley this morning.

Thanks. I guess it's been windy up there for quite a few days then? It's been closed every time I've checked since maybe a week.

While I'm posting: What restaurants do y'all recommend in Mottaret center?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Taking_the_piste I'm not aware from the radio piste reports and casual checking of the lift board that it has been closed, except for today. I was up there on Thursday. It is only scheduled to be open from 9.25 to 15.30 and has been late opening on several occasions.

As regards restaurants, it really depends on whether you are talking about lunch or dinner - and your budget! For lunch, Le Rastro; Le Terasse and La Brizolee usually have a plat du jour for €18-20. The Cafe del Mott in the basement of Hotel Motteret, near the top of the nursery piste does a plat du jour or hamburger and drink for €15 if you quote 'Meribel Unplugged'. Used to be quite good. Haven't been this year. Chez Bif next to the supermarket in Mottaret centre does good takeaway hamburgers for €12.

For dinner, Pizzeria du Mottaret is usually good (doesn't only do pizzas).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks again Mike S. The app could simply have been not up to date as it's shown it as closed every time I've looked. Good to know it's been open!

Regarding restaurants, I meant mostly dinner since we'll be having lunch in the ski area. Budget I guess the cap is around 40-50€, yolo. Sorry for not including it in my question.

We'll be staying in between Cafe del Mott and Pizzeria du Mottaret, I'll make sure to give both a try! About quoting Meribel Unplugged, what's the backstory there? You got me curious. Happy

Really appreciate the responses!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heavy wind in the am today as you got higher up near the ridges and Meribel bubbles closed for a while. Mid morning some light hail, then cloudy with poor visibility. Post lunch moderate snow accumulating and nice easy skiing in the trees Smile

15 Jan 23 Off Piste FUNdamentals from InsideOutSkiing
https://vimeo.com/789486738
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Taking_the_piste Meribel Unplugged is an unnofficial guide (worth picking up from most bars and restaurants around town) and website produced by long term British seasonaire, Rob Smart. He has negotiated a discount with Cafe del Mott, which advertises in his guide.

I am not the best advisor on evening restaurants, as we rarely go out for dinner, as it gets a bit pricey.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is Rob still alive?!
I presume he is totally pickled by now. Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"JDL65" Yes and he is back on Radio R'Meribel.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Val Desire, hope you OK …
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Keep asking non-snow related questions here, hope that's OK?! snowHead

Heading to LT for 4 nights with kids (19&16) and thought about getting the bus/ bubble to 1850 one evening. I havent been into the village for about 20 years and no real urge to but thought it might be interesting for a quick mooch and a change of scenery.

Any resto/ bar reccomendations that wont be mind bendingly expensive, bearing in mind every penny bun is costing me thrupence on this trip!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quite a bit colder today and again high winds up high. Probably 10cm of new snow today in Mottaret but seriously smashing down since we finished skiing. Loads of little patches of deepish fresh snow still to be found. Very windy at the top of Saulire in the afternoon but it was open for business. once the winds settles down should be amazing snow on and off piste.

16 Jan 2023 Off Piste Fundamentals from InsideOutSkiing
https://vimeo.com/insideoutskiing/offpistefundamentalsday2
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In case anyone is interested, I have been posting daily condition reports on the Ski Club of GB Meribel FB group page https://www.facebook.com/groups/SCGBMeribel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another 15cm today in Mottaret, cold but blowing hard up high and some wind affected snow to be cautious of , lovely down in the trees and it cleared after lunch.
17 Jan 2023 Off Piste FUNdamentals.mp4 from InsideOutSkiing
https://vimeo.com/insideoutskiing/offpistefundamentals17jan23
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are in the Alps you probably don't need a snow report but if you aren't the conditions today were mega.... super cold, clear skies and light powder everywhere....

Off Piste FUNdamentals 19 Jan 2023 from InsideOutSkiing
https://vimeo.com/insideoutskiing/offpistefundamentals19jan2023
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The snow in VT looks amazing!! Only 3 weeks to go before i'm out there! Can't wait!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Today was extremely impressive for my first day here. Does everyone just ski the groomed runs, because I was amazed at how much fresh snow was still around!
latest report
Driving out on Wednesday. What’s the situation with fuel availability in France?
ski holidays
1 week to go for us. Any weather forecast updates from resort?

From what I've seen it looks very dry and cold for the next week.
ski holidays
@skimottaret, who was skiing in that video?
latest report
My forerunner and crash test dummy Wink
snow conditions
@skimottaret, full cert? Looked like he enjoyed the run!
snow conditions
Just coming to end of our week in les 3 valleys. Stayed in la tania

Skiing has been fantastic the last 2 days. Everything above courchevel 1850 is light and dry powder off piste. Pistes are in great condition. Lower down there are some very icy patches, especially around meribel center.

It is bitterly cold out there at the moment with light snow falling in la tania.

Anyone coming out next week will have great conditions
latest report
@Bassman, we just got back yesterday and didn't see any fuel problems
ski holidays
Hi all, had a great week in Les Menuires. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Trip report incoming in a few days.
snow conditions
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good bootfitter in Meribel? A friend is out with us and is having horrible issues with an old pair which seem to have had it...
ski holidays
@ShakiraShakira, believe these guys come highly recommended https://thebootlab.co.uk/
snow report
@Layne, Thanks!
snow report
Another vote for Boot Lab. Very helpful and professional.
latest report
For those into this sort of thing, toured up to an unmanned refuge in Meribel the other week

http://youtube.com/v/fiwA0XOPDvY
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@iainm, nice video, I have walked to it in the summer but didn't know it was open in the winter, very intrepid staying overnight!... You started out about 50m from my apartment when you crossed over the river from the start of the cross country track Smile
snow report
@iainm, can you sleep in the same room as the fire & did you get much sleep?? Reckon that'd be too cold for me!!
latest report
Another boot fitter recommendation request, this time for 1650 or courcheval Village if possible please

The boys feet are giving him gip and he needs his giving a wee stretch....
ski holidays
@ol_smokey, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3027070&highlight=courcheval+courchevel+boot+fitter#3027070
snow report
Thanks @Layne but that thread is a bit old and Boot Lab is no longer here in Moriond..
latest report
I wouldn't go anywhere else but the Boot Lab. Why don't you make an appointment and then ski over there? It's only 100m walk straight up the road from the ski escalator by the tourist office.
snow report
Morning all

How are the pistes holding up? Heading out this weekend. Got one eye on the forecast and the other on the strikes! Looks like we may get a top up start of next week?

Also, could anyone recommend somewhere for dinner in the Reberty (or general Les Men) area. Nothing too fancy but somewhere that serves wholesome, decent food and drink.
snow conditions
Thanks for the video @iainm. Looks great. Two Qs:

1. Did you get any turns in on the way back?
2. What's the terrain like overall, in terms of avalanche risk? It looks fairly mellow from the video.
snow conditions
Pistes are lovely, 1650 and 1850 especially. Meribel has a few icy patches on the busy runs but good snow all the way to St Martin, Jerusalem was particularly good. The red into La Tania could do with a top up.

Managed to ski all 4 valleys with a trip to the Folie in Meribel on the way back, missed the last Roc Mugnier chair by 5 mins so had to bus back from 1850. snowHead
ski holidays
Just arrived in St. Martin for a couple of days on the way to the preBBWuW. Thinking of skiing La Masse to Lac du Lou on Friday. Anyone been up there recently know what conditions are like?
ski holidays
Thanks @Layne, @Ski Tyke, he's now sorted with new boots.
snow conditions
Conditions are actually really good. The snow gods smiled yesterday so over in VT where we are we had some proper powder turns on the board.
Today took the planks out for a spin and went all over the 3 Vallees. Mostly hero snow on the pistes meant laying down tramlines on the easier slopes was a big grin. However we found one big icey patch over in the fur coat valley and quite a few hard, scrubbed pistes where it was impossible for a holiday skier like me to hold an edge all the way round. But still very enjoyable none the less. Generally blues are good, reds can be tricky but still good fun. (My knees aren't up to black mogul fields...sorry!)
Hope that helps snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy